Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new nightclub in greenwood furniture?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Yeah I wouldnt be putting big name djs in a commercial club, just attracts the wrong crowd, and will put people off as its not catering for everyone. There is decent commerical djs apart from the ones in Langtons:) but there is a gap for a decent well designed night club in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have been involved in club nights and promotion since 2003 and have run lots of nights since then. i have also DJ'd, played in bands and designed posters for countless other nights. Some went brilliant, some disastrous. The majority were ok in their level of success. I am actively involved in The Slam Sessions in Set and this is going quite well, though unfortunately has to be put on hiatus until July after this month due to other venue commitments. Then it will be back with a bang, one hopes.

My opinion (strictly my opinion and you may disagree all you want - though I do know what I am talking about) is as follows:
    • The era of the superstar DJ is over
    • The era of the loud smelly nightclub that you pay a tenner into to see DJ Bainne play Britney Spears is over
    • Today's crowds are smaller and do not want to pay into a venue. They are either discerning music aficionados seeking out good entertainment or else they are happy with a cheap / free club (langtons) or late bar (morrisons) playing anything with a beat that they can dance to. Will pay a fiver max, or keep it free like they do in set on saturdays.
    • davy and the lads try to keep it different with funk and soul or indie on saturdays... we have the house, hip hop, disco and old skool end of things covered with our night. Before this in Set I did stuff in The Pumphouse, The Widows and i have a majoe one coming up in June somewhere else to be announced in the town
    • There is no market for another nightclub in the town. None. We have no students. We no longer have stags and hens. We don't even have summer workers in hotels any more. All we have are the locals that fit into either of the two categories in my third point above. Langton's hit the bullseye with set, they are doing a superb job promoting their 'speciality' nights there, but that's as far as it will go in Kilkenny.

Edit if anyone wants any design done, wants to rent a cheap soundsystem or lights or discuss a party (preferably free in terms of money and in terms of location) PM me.

desinstripcopy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

That's a great summary Kilkennyflyer, it is as you say it is.

Best of luck with your gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

That's a pretty damn comprehensive post and I have to say that I 100% agree with it. I think if we make the best out of what we have at the moment we'll be doing pretty okay.

Thanks a lot for the good wishes lads!

I'll never ever make any kind of significant money on the gigs and any would-be 'promoter' who thinks that they will needs to take a serious look at their figures and business model. I do it because I enjoy it as a hobby.

A successful gig for me is when people show up and have a good laugh, local DJ's, musicians and producers (sometimes me) get to showcase themselves and I get the price of a few beers, a tank of juice for the car and the 20 or so phone calls it took to get it all together.

Maybe ye'll pay us a visit next time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 swifty73

Thanks a lot for the good wishes lads!

I'll never ever make any kind of significant money on the gigs and any would-be 'promoter' who thinks that they will needs to take a serious look at their figures and business model. I do it because I enjoy it as a hobby.

A successful gig for me is when people show up and have a good laugh, local DJ's, musicians and producers (sometimes me) get to showcase themselves and I get the price of a few beers, a tank of juice for the car and the 20 or so phone calls it took to get it all together.

Maybe ye'll pay us a visit next time :)
    well quoted.see you there this friday the 23 happy daze

Sorry to drag up this old thread but it seemed kinda relevant.

If any of you are the type of people who like all-night low-cost low-key gatherings with bands and DJs and an eclectic ensemble of 100 or so others in a lovely little country venue, PM me!

Advertisement