Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static problem

Options
  • 16-04-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have recently got a heating system put into an old house. We put a heated towel rail that is on the plumbing system (not electric) in the bathroom. The plumber used qualipex everywhere so there is no copper pipes.

The problem is whenever I touch the rad I get a small shock. I have no clue about static build up so not sure if its a problem with the rad or a problem with me?

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

is it static or current electricity?

take your hand off and put it back on again ,are you still getting a shock?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

M cebee wrote: »
    is it static or current electricity?

take your hand off and put it back on again ,are you still getting a shock?

It is hard to keep your hand on it! But when I get a shock and put my hand back on it again I still get a shock

you need a sparkie so

by the sound of it

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

M cebee wrote: »
    you need a sparkie so

by the sound of it

Any ideas off hand what the problem could be? I helped out a fair bit with the electrics and plumbing so I'd have a fair idea of where everything is running in the house...

not sure

could be a local problem -(foil backed slab or screw through cable)
    if the MET/plumbing system isn't live as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

daragh,think m cebee is right.you need professional help on this one.possible your whole earthing system is live,call a sparks
    (have come across an installation of reverse polarity when instead of neutralising the earth,it was connected to the live supply.have also seen an installation when the neutral from house next door burnt out on the esb side and the load tracked back through the earth rod making all bonded earthing live.
    get it checked

Advertisement