Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Appreciation of Life thread

Options
  • 16-04-2010 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Everyone knows that life can be quite crap at times. We all have our problems and I find that people (myself included!) tend to dwell on the bad stuff. We get caught up in angst ridden cycles, complaining about everything and anything and forget about the good things in life.

So here's a thread to remind us all of the things we are grateful for - big things, small things, things about ourselves, things about others, anything at all really! Everyone has been blessed with a life and here's our chance to appreciate whatever we have.

I'll kick it off - I am extremely thankful that I have such amazing parents. I know that they genuinely want the best for me and are making whatever sacrifices they can to ensure I get the best shot at life. They give me so much and I don't appreciate it half as much as I should. So now I am!

Comments

I am thankful I live in a first world country, born into a family with a decent standard of living, and educated well. Hmmm... we take a lot for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm just glad I get to be me. Being somebody else would suck.

No offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

On days like this, it's so easy to forget the angst-y parts!

Let me see:

I'm thankful for some of the mistakes I've made that have led me to where I am now. If I hadn't made some of them, I wouldn't be the person I am now - and I'm fairly happy with being me.

I'm thankful for my family, despite the fact that they irritate me 99% of the time. My sister just came in and made me lunch, my dad gave me a load of chocolate - can't complain about them right now! That, and the fact that I know they mean well in spite of their actions. Sure they probably think the same about me!

I'm thankful for the people I've met in the last 6 months. Who knew that I'd be skipping down my road with these people singing after being out on Holy Thursday, faffing around in various pubs, KFC and my house with them, sitting watching ridiculous TV shows (terrierists.. >_>) and films (Bratitude! :pac:), having silly in-jokes about smileys, hydroxyl groups.. <3 these guys.

I'm thankful (sometimes) for the fact that my mouth is speaking faster than I can process thoughts. It makes for much hilarity at times. Oh, while I'm at it, that my head sees filth in everything so I can misconstrue just about anything (oh, but "retraction".. PLEASE! How could one not get that?! Not aiming that at anyone in particular.. ¬_¬.. <3).

I'm thankful for the small amount of focus I managed to gain this year. Copping on a bit ftw. I'm also thankful for the silliness of this year, there's been many funnies, nicknames etc - both amongst my friends and my classmates. Good times.

I'm thankful for my ability to enjoy time by myself - some people seem incapable of coping in their own company, but it's lovely. Music, books, a bit'a maths - what more could one want?

Finally, as this is dragging on a bit, I'm thankful for the lovely Cornetto I just had - also from my sister.

There's so much more than that, so I'll probably post in this thread a fair bit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm thankful that I have such a good relationship with my parents. I get on so well with my Mum and it just makes everything so much easier, I'll happily go shopping with her, or to the cinema, I'm at the age now, where we can just actually have fun and have our little routines. Compared to some of my friends who spend all their time fighting with their parents, that must really suck.

I'm thankful for my friends, I don't see them as much as I'd like to, but when I do, it's like no time has passed and we always have ridiculous amounts of stupid fun.

I'm thankful for my health, yes I have issues sometimes, but on the grand scheme of things, I'm healthy and don't have anything to complain about.

Another thing I'm thankful for is the weather lately, I love how when it's sunny, everyone just seems so much happier. It makes such a difference to my mood. Honestly, I think I was meant to live in a sunny country.

More when I think of them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

This is going to sound totally gay and sad but I'm really happy I found this forum. Seriously, if it wasn't for C&H the last six months would have been like slow torture what with my friends all being away in college and me being stuck here on my ownio. You guys have kind've kept me sane!

Thanks for that.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Great thread.

I'm glad that I can think for myself. Can't emphasise that one enough.

I'm glad that I had all the opportunities I've had.

Even though I bitch about assignments and exams, I'm glad that I know I'm doing the right course and that somehow, someday it'll lead me to the right career.

Hmm, on the basis of that last point, I'm glad I've somehow developed a sense of optimism.

Most of all, I'm glad I'm leaving to go to Trinity Ball in less than two hours! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its difficult sometimes to appriciate some things, or to realise how well I probably have life.

I'm glad many things have worked out the way they have, even though its always been difficult to accept and cause alot of pain and sadness at the way things evolve. I'm happy I have the friends I have, despite having lost a few along the way.......If it were not for a few people, I probably wouldnt be here. Its thanks to them I am the person I am now, they've helped me iron out my imperfections. Despite my regular bouts of upset and frustration I'm glad I hold the mindset I do, I'm independent and thats the way I like it. That I think of it, I'm lucky i have no serious health concerns (apart from the aul regular migraine!), I'm lucky to have a few people in my family because of cancer :/

On a lighter note, thanks to all of you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I'm glad I had the opportunity of going to college. While college hasn't been completely rosy, there's no doubt that I would have gone mental had I stayed at home for another year. Making loads of new friends and having so much independence is pretty sweet.

I'm really thankful for being put onto musical genres that lie outside the charts. I don't mean to sound arrogant or snobbish but I feel sorry for people whose only interest in music revolves around what's on the radio. There's so much life-affirming goodness out there that's not solely made for profit.

As well as that you can't beat the little things like Freddos, in-jokes, making someone laugh and regaling others with memorable moments of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It's easy to be underappreciative of what we have, mainly because alot of us can take it for granted sometimes. We all get so caught up in things that are ultimately unimportant. It's only when we reflect upon it, see people without it, or lose it ourselves when we finally appreciate it. Anyway, if I had to put in a load of thought and write a huge yoke of an essay on life, but "The Appreciation of Life" is easily a superficial topic, so I won't ramble on. :P

I'm glad I rarely have days that are completely horrifically bad, and that itself is alot to be thankful for. I'm also happy with the great friends I have, the family I have, my older sibings and parents.

I'm happy with the person I am, despite my numerous shortcomings. That may sound abit strange/cocky, but I've found it is very important. I feel genuine great pity for people who aren't happy with who they are, and can not accept themselves as they are. I'd do my best to help them. There's alot of people like that, I wonder if it's a modern age thing or has it been around since the dawn of man? The sooner one can stop worrying about themselves...they can get on with enjoying life.

This one is odd, but I'm actually really pleased with the education system I was brought up in. Even Ireland as a country isn't really bad. Sure, we're in recesssion, but where isn't? I mean, there's so much opportunity for anyone willing to work in school. Everything is subsidised and there's so much grant opportunities available. It's a particular thing many people of my age fail to see, sadly enough, but we've got it relatively good.

Also, this is some awesome sunset I'm watching from my bedroom window.

*plays "But I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"*

Monzo wrote: »
    I'm glad I had the opportunity of going to college. While college hasn't been completely rosy, there's no doubt that I would have gone mental had I stayed at home for another year. Making loads of new friends and having so much independence is pretty sweet.

I'm really thankful for being put onto musical genres that lie outside the charts. I don't mean to sound arrogant or snobbish but I feel sorry for people whose only interest in music revolves around what's on the radio. There's so much life-affirming goodness out there that's not solely made for profit.

As well as that you can't beat the little things like Freddos, in-jokes, making someone laugh and regaling others with memorable moments of the past.

This, and this exactly. Even the mention of Freddos.. makes it absolutely spot-on. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Just a few brief ones because I'm tired. Things I am thankful for:

-my friends.
    -my intelligence/education.
    -the fact that music and poetry exist and I'm in a position to access them both freely.
    -never going hungry or thirsty.
    -I get sick,I go to a doctor, I get meds, I get better. Such a basic thing but so damn important.
    -In jokes. :D
    -Fooooood. <3
    -Hugs.
    -Animals.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

I think this is a really good idea for a thread, because I know that I tend to take a lot of things for granted.

But I've just been thinking and I'm actually a very lucky person. I'm pretty darn lucky that my family are kind of great. All of them are healthy and they are genuinely lovely people. The eldest in my family is about nine years older than me and he is possibly the nicest person I know. He is always thinking of others but makes time for himself and is very optimistic. He's a typical older brother and I remember when I was younger and how he spent so much time with me, good memories! My other brother is always encouraging me with schoolwork and telling me I can do whatever I want when I leave school, even though I tend to disagree, it's still nice to know someone believes in me. And my other sibling is probably the most like me and we share the same interests in sports and music so it's pretty cool to have someone to have really great conversations with even though we do fight a lot of the time! I actually get a long pretty well with my parents and I'm grateful for that too because I know a lot of people my age don't. I know that whatever I do with life, even if it isn't their own first choice for me, that they will still respect my decision. So basically what I'm saying is I appreciate my family :p

I'm really lucky to have a brilliant best friend as well, and an awesome group of people in my year who are used to me being being loud, hyper and oh, I don't know, *insane* some of the time. And they actually still like me! I like how we can insult each other all the time and laugh at our stupid, immature jokes. And nearly everyday they make me laugh until I cry! But I am the sort of person who laughs at everything. O that's other thing I appreciate as well the fact that I can laugh at myself, I think (:confused:) I have a pretty good sense of humour.
    God, this is turning into an essay, I'll stop there with my friends! Sorry for boring ye all.

O one last thing, tea. I love tea, so I do. I take take that waaay too much for granted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Good thread :)
    Well, first of all I have to be thankful for the fact that I'm living here, and not a third-world country or the like. I get out of my comfy, warm bed in the morning knowing it will be there for me in the evening. I go to school, get an education. I have no serious health conditions, except for fairly mild asthma and recurrent tonsillitis.

I'm thankful for my family. Sometimes I can say that I hate my mam, but I know that she's always there for me when I need her. As for my dad and my brothers and sisters, they're grand too :p Having older brothers and sisters is kind of cool :D

I'm thankful for my friends too. I've been moaning quite a lot about them recently, but really I have a few that I can rely on to be there for me when I need them, and the rest are there for a chat anyway :)

I suppose I'll finish up with this ...[really trying not to sound vain here, so sorry if it comes out wrong], but I'm really thankful for my intelligence and motivation. If I really want to do well in something academically, I will. In that regard, I can do anything if I put my mind to it so I'm pretty happy with that.

So yeah, spread the happiness :D Life isn't too bad, really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I'm really thankful for my past,with all the f*ck ups and nasty turns I wouldn't change it at all,I love the person I've become.

I'm glad I found boards.ie for the awesome people I've met and the hours of boredom it's helped me avoid.

I'm so appreciative of my friends both old and new,I mean every word of it when I say you guys mean the world to me.The same goes for my parents,without sounding to immature and arrogant they are the two most impressive people by their own merits that I have ever met and I'm proud to be related to them.

in a blatantly arrogant way[not the intention,but how it sounds] I like how much I appreciate things,the downs are awful but at times I just feel like I live life so much more than some people,with all the mess ups and dumb things I do,I barely regret any of it,life's far too short for stuff to effect you

<3 this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I owe so many people so much it's incredible. I'm pretend to be a very pessimistic and cynical person, but deep down I know the kindness and generosity of people are capable of, having experienced it first hand- people who really had no obligation to be so giving.

I was quite zoned out from life for the last few years, so I'm dead greatful for my family and friends who stick with me, no matter what person I am on any given day.:o Hopefully I'll be finished with that soon.

I've always been told I'm pretty good at drawing, writing etc.- I suppose I should be greatful for those 'talents'.

Also in general, life isn't ideal right now, but it could a damn sight worse- I'm healthy with all my 'faculties', I've got a roof over my head and a full stomach. I'm provided for, which is definately not the case for everyone.

Great thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I know Panda already said it but I'm also really grateful that I found C&H. Everyone here is just so damn nice and you've restored my faith in alot of the human population. I discovered C&H at a very dark time in my life and now that I'm FINALLY starting to feel better, I can really appreciate how much this forum and the people on it have contributed to my improvement. I have amazing real life friends but in the times when I was too scared to even leave my room, you guys helped me feel less isolated and alone. I'm really looking forward to meeting more of you IRL :D

THANK YOU. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The natural world.

Nothing will ever make you appreciate it quite like being stuck in the Berkeley library for a month or so in some of the nicest weather all year. As soon as I finish up my exams I'm going to go climb some of the mountains around me, sit on top of them and see as far as I can on a clear day. I'm going to stop and appreciate every little bit of interesting indigenous flora, I'm going to watch deer and rabbits and birds, and later in the summer I'll watch emerging fox cubs playing outside their earths. I'm going to be tired and sore and sweaty and out of breath from climbing everything and walking everywhere to look at everything I can see, and find peace and tranquility and balance throughout the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I'm glad for things working out in the end.

And sandwiches. I love sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Was just saying this last night but the one good thing that has come out of doing my course is my now best friend. People always say we are never seen apart even though we only know eachother a few months and the shenanigans we get up to are just epic, I do nothing like it with anyone else. College would have been much less fun without him.

Also I too <3 the sense of community on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

This is a great thread, I spend so much time giving out about my life I often forget about the things in it that are really great.
    I'm thankful for my parents, that they're willing to help me get wherever I want to go in life.
    I have a load of people who are sort of my friends, but I have two awesome ones who are willing to do anything for me, and for that I'm lucky.
    I'm also thankful that I turned out a pretty good person, I think that I'm someone worth getting to know.
    And, of course, I'm thankful for this place, it's lead me to a lot of great people that I wouldn't have gotten to know otherwise. Ye rock!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Everything that's ever gone wrong in my life. Tea. Sunshine. My family and keeping a nice distance from them most of the time. The opportunities I have. Being able to trust myself, it's taken a long time. Having friends I might not see in months but who are right there for me when I need them, and vice versa. Having friends I see everyday who have practically become my family, they'll never know how much I love them for it. My boyfriend, he smells nice. Photographs. Nature - fer serious. There's nothing more beautiful than what is natural and pure, regardless of how far we stretch to synthesise it. Live music. Facebook groups. Realising that you're cracked and thinking it's hilarious. Every single person I've ever met in my life. Being content with the simplest of pleasures. This is turning into one of my I LOVE EVERYTHING blog posts so I'll leave it here...I love life. It's wondrous and tormented, just be sure to screw it before it screws you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

The natural world.

Nothing will ever make you appreciate it quite like being stuck in the Berkeley library for a month or so in some of the nicest weather all year. As soon as I finish up my exams I'm going to go climb some of the mountains around me, sit on top of them and see as far as I can on a clear day. I'm going to stop and appreciate every little bit of interesting indigenous flora, I'm going to watch deer and rabbits and birds, and later in the summer I'll watch emerging fox cubs playing outside their earths. I'm going to be tired and sore and sweaty and out of breath from climbing everything and walking everywhere to look at everything I can see, and find peace and tranquility and balance throughout the countryside.

I want to do this in Summer, too. I complain too much about this place- yeah, Dundalk is shít, but some of the rural areas in Louth are stunning; places like Carlingford, Omeath, Ravensdale... gorgeous. Forests and mountains and ocean and animals! :D Hopefully the weather'll be good this year and make it easier. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Carving my own path through life and making it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I want to do this in Summer, too. I complain too much about this place- yeah, Dundalk is shít, but some of the rural areas in Louth are stunning; places like Carlingford, Omeath, Ravensdale... gorgeous. Forests and mountains and ocean and animals! :D Hopefully the weather'll be good this year and make it easier. :)

Take weekends, or take a week. Start in Omeath, walk along through the hills around until Newry, walk out towards Warrenpoint, up into Rostrevor and then straight up into the hills by the Fairy Glen, then head right over the back of the mountain and down towards the river. Follow the river in either direction as far as you want until you've found somewhere nice to swim there. From there, you have the option of climbing the facing hill (it's a fairly low ridge really) and continuing, or you can follow the river back towards the shore and the main road, and walk home whatever way you want. If you've done that and come back without the most ridiculous, ear-splitting grin, you need your head adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

This thread. I love it, it's reminding me to be grateful for little, seemingly insignificant things. Like sitting on a bench by the sea eating ice cream with my boyfriend earlier. Before, I might have just taken that for granted. The little things in life are what get us by.

As has been said above, I'm thankful I found this forum. It's seriously great, everyone on here is so nice and helpful, and ridiculously excepting and non-judgemental. I <3 you guys.

I happened to read a random blog today, and I got the strongest sense of deja-vu that I've ever experienced. Some of the things this person has gone through may as well have been copied and pasted directly from my life, but for a few decisions at various turning points. And it's making me think so many what-ifs. It scares the hell out of me that, but for those few decisions that may as well have gone on a coin-toss, the person could have been me. So I'm thankful for the luck I had in making those decisions at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

This is such a lovely thread!

I'm really lucky to have some of the most amazing people on the planet as friends. I know they would do anything for me, and I would do the same for them <3

I might not always have thought it, but my family are great too. My parents are actually lovely, and I get on well with them and my wee brothers (even if we fight a lot :pac:) I'm so happy that I have them around.

Even though it's going to take me longer to finish college than I expected, I think that it's been a bit of a blessing in disguise. I've kind of an idea what I'd like to do after I leave, and if I hadn't deferred, I think I would be in a much worse state.

Other things that are great: music <3, green fields at home, my dog <3<3, the fact that so many people are willing to help others, ice-cream, boards, reading a great book, days that aren't too hot or too cold, hot chocolate, the smell of tea tree oil and Lush shops, pens, talking to someone I like ;)... There's too many!

Advertisement