Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does HTC Desire have free sat-nav apps?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hello,

Its timed well, my 7 year old ipod my phone and camera are all failing me and I just bought a car that needs a sat nav. All this at a time when the HTC desire is available in Ireland and may tick all the above boxes.

Will the HTC desire/ Android 2.0 grant me free sat-nav in Ireland?

Any help advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

bean wrote: »
    Hello,

Its timed well, my 7 year old ipod my phone and camera are all failing me and I just bought a car that needs a sat nav. All this at a time when the HTC desire is available in Ireland and may tick all the above boxes.

Will the HTC desire/ Android 2.0 grant me free sat-nav in Ireland?

Any help advice appreciated

it will soon have the google maps navigation, which is close enough.
    however, keep in mind that copilot (as most of the other pay-for navigators) is not that expensive to buy. I think it could be 20-30euro and you get all maps and updates. I would definitely buy it, its a great app and the maps for Ireland are quite up to date.
    there are a couple of free navigators I think, but none of them with the quality of copilot..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Thanks for the reply nmesisca.That has helped to clear that up for me. I wonder why google maps navigation has not hit Ireland yet?

I was drawn to the nokias for the sat nav initially but i cant ignore the Desire. I just have to check the piggy bank before i make the launch.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts on the meteor cheapest contract vs buying the phone unlocked and which would be cheaper id also appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

bean wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply nmesisca.That has helped to clear that up for me. I wonder why google maps navigation has not hit Ireland yet?

I was drawn to the nokias for the sat nav initially but i cant ignore the Desire. I just have to check the piggy bank before i make the launch.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts on the meteor cheapest contract vs buying the phone unlocked and which would be cheaper id also appreciate it

I think google has changed the company that provides the maps, which means there is probably some licensing issues still to be worked around.
    however, if you will root your Desire (whatever android you get) you can get it to work with a (relatively) simple mod to the stock application.
    its all on the xda-forums (albeit in the nexus threads).
    .. I heard nokias navigator is frustrating to use. cant confirm but that seems to be the consensus..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

Im a bit paranoid about rooting, might complicate issue if i need to contact the supplier about support issue ( though it may allow me to avoid having to call them too) also i hear it can mess up the over the air updates.
    Dunno, i could do it...ill read up on it as you suggest

Either way its good to know what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

nmesisca wrote: »
    .. I heard nokias navigator is frustrating to use. cant confirm but that seems to be the consensus..

Nokias ovi maps is fantastic because it has built-in maps and that's why I prefer it to Google maps that you may not be able to rely on in a data blackspot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ovi Maps is brilliant. Truth be told it was one of the best things about the N97.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

Ovi Maps is brilliant. Truth be told it was one of the best things about the N97.

I second that but I'll prob be selling my N97 to get a desire soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Keith186 wrote: »
    I second that but I'll prob be selling my N97 to get a desire soon!
    I had a N97 for two days. Now don't get me wrong symbian is a wonderful OS... So long as it's not on a touchscreen. Horribly unsuited for touchscreen to be saying the truth.

The N97 hardware wise though is absolutely brilliant (Minus that resisitive screen of course which as we all know sucks)

Advertisement