Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Track League

• 16-04-2010 3:08pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Details have just been published on the summer programme of track racing at Sundrive Road in Dublin.

There'll be two leagues this year, first starting on 5th of May and the second on 7th of July. All racing will be on Wednesday nights.

Note that you need to be accredited to race. They're having an open day on Saturday April 24, where they'll be doing accreditation.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Clashes with the Swords League on a Wednesday night, so Shanugil and I are thinking of popping along whenever Swords have a hilly course:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Beasty wrote: »
    Shanugil and I are thinking of popping along whenever Swords have a hilly course:)

Good idea. It's about time you two let the other guys have a chance in the hilly races. ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,304 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I want to try and get into category D - I may not be youthful, but am claiming beginner status (having now completed my one and only competitive cycling event:))

NB - there are other accreditation sessions, normally on the first Saturday of the month (10.30), and a a mid-month Friday evening (6.30).Full details are on the track cycling website

There's no point in going down if it's raining though - you might get away with intermittent rain (it's fast drying), but they cannot use the track when wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I wear straps cycling to work, if I just wear the same shoes I would for them, should I be ok? I don't have proper cycling shoes

I wear straps cycling to work, if I just wear the same shoes I would for them, should I be ok? I don't have proper cycling shoes
    They have straps that click into the pedals, so you can use runners. However with a track bike, it's best if you have your feet as securely fixed to the pedals as you can.

They mainly use Look Delta pedals on their hire bikes, BTW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They said they do have a few rental bikes with straps as well.

Yeah site said they use straps as well as look pedals but they also mention cleats and I thought track tends to use both so I'd better check.

They definitely have "clip-in" straps (ie straps that click into the Delta pedals - they use the same system in Manchester for those who do not have cleats) - Shaungil used them when we went for accreditation a couple of weeks ago

You could always drop them an email to make sure.

This thread is encoraging me to start looking for a track bike:D

• Advertisement

This thread is encoraging me to start looking for a track bike:D

I'm hoping to use the Bowery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got accredited on my Bowery no problems. You will have to remove all the brakes; I just swapped the handlebars as it was less hassle than taking the brakes and bar tape off. If you want to borrow them I have a spare pair of brakeless bars taped up you would be welcome to.

If using straps I think you would want them done up tightly enough that you can't get your foot out without leaning over and undoing them.

blorg wrote: »
    I got accredited on my Bowery no problems. You will have to remove all the brakes; I just swapped the handlebars as it was less hassle than taking the brakes and bar tape off. If you want to borrow them I have a spare pair of brakeless bars taped up you would be welcome to.

If using straps I think you would want them done up tightly enough that you can't get your foot out without leaning over and undoing them.

Thanks for the offer man. I have a set of brakeless handlebars at the mo, but I'll be dragging my 6 year old with me so will be bussing it, that's why I was wondering about the straps. I'm going to ring them about it now.

Thanks for the offer man. I have a set of brakeless handlebars at the mo, but I'll be dragging my 6 year old with me so will be bussing it, that's why I was wondering about the straps. I'm going to ring them about it now.
    They have to be drop bars as well BTW. Just in case!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I was chatting to Hugh Byrne from the track commission and he thought the gearing on the Bowery would be too low, (Blorg doesn't count, he's an animal)

RobFowl wrote: »
    I was chatting to Hugh Byrne from the track commission and he thought the gearing on the Bowery would be too low, (Blorg doesn't count, he's an animal)
    Stock would actually come to think of it. I had a 14T on mine, 46 up front. 88.7"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

how do you go about taking a blast of the track cycling? Is there some night / time slot for people who have no idea (ie me)

Diarmuid wrote: »
    how do you go about taking a blast of the track cycling? Is there some night / time slot for people who have no idea (ie me)

Go along to the open day. You can rent a track bike and be brought through the basics and get accreditation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Can one only get accreditation at weekends? Would like to do this and Wednesday suits.
    Also I have a non competition license, does that matter?

ROK ON wrote: »
    Can one only get accreditation at weekends? Would like to do this and Wednesday suits.
    The only other time they do it is Friday evenings. You don't need a licence for getting accreditation or training, but do need either a full or IVCA licence (and accreditation) for racing

It may be worth giving Hugh Byrne a call or dropping him an e-mail (details are on the trackcycling website) to check if there is any other way to get accreditation, but it would normally involve being on the track with others, to allow line-lapping and changing etc.

• Advertisement

From the site:
    If you can't make it on the day, there will be a further Accreditation on the following Saturday. Thereafter, accreditatiions will be run only on the first Saturday and 3rd Friday of each month. Check www.trackcycling.ie for exact dates.

Would a Friday suit instead?

I'd check with the organisers and see if they'd issue a day licence. Either that or upgrade your licence to restricted competition if you plan to race just on the track.

Thanks for that. Unlikely that I will be in Dublin either Fri/Sat for a long time.
    No worries.

Give Hugh a call and explain your situation, he may be able to fit you in. Worth asking.

Is there a particularly good time to ring? Tried earlier, no answer.

Is there a particularly good time to ring? Tried earlier, no answer.
    Try e-mailing him at:

trackcyclingireland@gmail.com

Whenever I have e-mailed him he has got back to me between about midnight and 1am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

will the accrediation open day be for juniors aswell?

Golfanatic wrote: »
    will the accrediation open day be for juniors aswell?
    Yes - they actively encourage juniors (I think Hugh mentioned to me that it's suitable for those typically aged 12+) They have bikes that should suit kids of this age (unless they are particularly small)

Bike hire is €5 for adults, €2 juniors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

where can you read the rules? what kind of bike spec is legal? been thinkin about doin track racing for a while as I love speed/sprints
    does the weight of the bike make much difference on the velodrome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I might try and get my brother to try it, I keep telling him he would like cycling and I think there may be track potential there. Of course, we share genes so maybe not :)

• Advertisement

where can you read the rules? what kind of bike spec is legal? been thinkin about doin track racing for a while as I love speed/sprints
    does the weight of the bike make much difference on the velodrome?
    I would suggest you try one of their bikes first. Weight hardly makes any difference, as, although banked, te track is flat. Hugh will be able to advise you on the specs, although drops are a must, and you cannot have any brakes

I went down on my own fixie the day after I gained accreditation, and had the track pretty much to myself for couple of hours (and hence the fact I had a brake on didn't matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

tried track, good fun , go fast , nearly killed myself cos thought I could free wheel after a spring, defo going back.

Anybody go in the end?

Weather is looking a bit dodge for tonight. Let's hope the rain clears. The site says that racing will be moved to the following Friday any time the Wednesday night is rained off. They've also published a full race programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Tonto, will you need your fan club there?

Tonto, will you need your fan club there?

Who's my fan club??? Given that I haven't raced track in a few years, I doubt that I'm going to be setting the world alight tonight.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    Who's my fan club??? Given that I haven't raced track in a few years, I doubt that I'm going to be setting the world alight tonight.
    You going though? Rain is clearing and I have my bars and fork changed (took 5 minutes :) )

You going though? Rain is clearing and I have my bars and fork changed (took 5 minutes :) )

I'll go alright. It's on my way home, so no big deal if it's rained off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

Thinking of heading over tonight instead of Swords League.

Never rode a track bike till accreditation a few weeks back, lots of fun. However, I'm afraid I might enjoy it 'too' much and end up spending way too much time thinking about how to go faster and imrove times etc. and there is just not enough time in the day to obsess about road and track...... or is there?

Note to self: keep pedaling!!!!

Tonto won a race! Woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

W00t! I hope this means he isn't going to quit the road racing now that he is a track king. Do we start calling him Sir El Tonto or does that come later?

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed that. Had a disastrous start to the night, puncturing on lap one of the first race. Then I managed to win the 10 lap scratch race. Gambled on going for the win in the Win&Out in the third race, but I was pipped in the sprint by a guy who made a great move on the final bend. Final race of the night for me was a four lap handicap in which we didn't manage to catch the limit group in our race.

Was put in the C group tonight, but I reckon I'll be bumped up to the B group next week.

Mr. Skeffington had a good night, winning the Win&Out in the A category.

Blorg and Superlav were also racing in the B group and were riding very strongly for guys making their track debuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Well done el tonto , might drop by next time when im off to see what its all about dont plan on racing just watching ha ha if signed up for anything else she'd have a canary

Mockler didn't turn up then?

Mockler didn't turn up then?
    Difficult to get lost on an enclosed track!

Difficult to get lost on an enclosed track!
    That's your next challenge then, el tonto

Congratulations on the win, by the way.

Hopefully I'll be down to Sundrive some time shortly (don't want to wish rain on you all, but Friday works much better for me than Wednesday)

Well done Tonto. Unleash the power.

Mr Skeffington keeps up his winning ways in the Derny race. I think he may have got another. Darragh Zaidan got at least one win and a second, his win yesterday didn't seem to be holding him back. I managed third in the B group 500m TT which was my first track placing. Quite enjoying it I must say, it is very technical and tactical, I keep doing things that cost me! Lots to learn.

Advertisement