Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Waterford

• 16-04-2010 3:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks.. I am looking to see if anybody out there has a good knowledge of the history of Waterford and is willing to write a short page on the main historic elements of the City & County.

If you have the capabilities, please do get in touch and ill talk more about it. :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    Folks.. I am looking to see if anybody out there has a good knowledge of the history of Waterford and is willing to write a short page on the main historic elements of the City & County.

If you have the capabilities, please do get in touch and ill talk more about it. :)

Thanks.

Can I ask what this is for Sully? The main man for Waterford's history is Eamonn McEneaney who I believe is still the curator of the Granary Museum. He knows his stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just part of a plan to promote Waterford further then it currently is, I was hoping to get someone to give us a history of Waterford and surrounding areas. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just part of a plan to promote Waterford further then it currently is, I was hoping to get someone to give us a history of Waterford and surrounding areas. :)

What I meant was is this somethign for Boards or for something else?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What I meant was is this somethign for Boards or for something else?

Oh nothing to do with Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

There are some good books in the Book Centre that would be hard to beat...

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    There are some good books in the Book Centre that would be hard to beat...

Copyright laws would prevent us using them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I know a bit not a hell of a lot but if you have any questions or whatever i may be able to answer if i can or stear you in the right direction or find out for ya even, pm me or whatever you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just how far back in history do you want to go Sully? Do you want a more recent 19th/20th century history blurb are are you planning on going back to the Vikings with this thing?

Daysha wrote: »
    Just how far back in history do you want to go Sully? Do you want a more recent 19th/20th century history blurb are are you planning on going back to the Vikings with this thing?

Ideally back towards the Vikings since the city has so much of this history and its something ignored big time. Sometimes our tourism focuses more on the modern side and forgets our past - we should be covering and promoting both.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Copyright laws would prevent us using them. :)

You can quote the books as long as you footnote the source. No copyright infringement if you give em credit in writing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

They hardly have copyright on history. Read them and put it in your own words sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

chelloveks wrote: »
    You can quote the books as long as you footnote the source. No copyright infringement if you give em credit in writing...

That's all well and good for editorial or academic writing, but once someone starts to make money from it (even from something as simple as having adverts on the site where it's hosted) you're getting into copyright territory, even if the original source is referenced.

I'd recommend checking for some open source information, see if the library in the town have some. Either that or get in contact with local historians such as Dermot Power, Julian Walton or as mentioned previously Eamonn McEneaney.

Have a look in the local history section of the Book Centre for some more names that may help.

Advertisement