Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreaded Artifacts

Options
  • 16-04-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Sigh following on from this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055880917

which to summarize : My pc crashed during a game. Apon restart I had issues getting windows to boot and my monitor to turn on. Seemed to be totally fixed once I reset the CMOS.

I've been mainly using my pc for college work. I did a little gaming last night however and for the 1st time ever my card threw up artifacts and I had to restart the machine. When I got back into windows, I tested the game again and within 2 mins it happened again.

I left it over night. Seemed fine today working away on my pc. Again went to have a quick gaming session and bam, after 20 mins, it happened again.

I stopped playing. I was hoping maybe it was just software issues.

But sure enough I went down stairs to make coffee, came back up and my pc (which only had firefox open, no 3D stuff) was artifacting again.

Apon restart the bios boot up screen artifacted like crazy. So its obvious my card is ****ed. :(

23161805.jpg

76223278.jpg

So I took out the card (9800GTX) and I'm using my 6800gs atm.

Wtf is going on ? Is it just normal at this stage for cards to only last 2 years before dying? I got this from komplett just under 2 years ago now. I assume I should be okay for an RMA?

Sigh I really don't need this. Luckly I have my trusty 6800gs... this is the 2nd time I've had a card die and had to rely on my old 6800 for back up.

I have no idea why this would happen, it couldnt be overheating, I assume you get a warning when your card gets too hot anyway? I've never overclocked it, I had planned to someday when I felt its performance was lacking but as I mainly play SF4 on my pc it was never an issue.

Thoughts?

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Did you update your gfx drivers recently? I know for a fact my friend did and it ruined his card. Basically the driver disabled the fan on his 9800gtx.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=184289

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

1) Check drivers
    2) Check GPU fan(s)
    3) Check cables
    4) Check monitor

Modern nVidia cards are lucky to survive 18 months before the dodgy process they're based on kills them. But even when that happens there is, of course, The Oven Trick ;)

5) Bake some cakes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

because of my previous problem I've been checking all that, the fan works, cables were fine and so forth and no I hadn't updated drivers...

I think I'd rather send it back to komplett then but it in an oven :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you're in the second year of your warranty I'm not sure if retailers will take them back - your statutory rights on electronic items expires after one year so depending on who you're talking to you might just be told to send it back to the card's manufacturer :(

All you can do is try to RMA and see what response you get...

Unless it has an extended manufacturer warranty you are out of luck as regards RMA.

Get your bake on!! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055878560

• Advertisement
Advertisement