Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice re : changing to a Diesel car for commute to bray to blanch.

• 16-04-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

I have a 02 passat 1.6... Ill be commuting to blanch for work , and am thinking of changing to a diesel...... any advice or pointers??

many thanks

BTW... Not a huge budget , prob only looking at at a 04/05/06 upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

same shape passat wit 130tdi engine and 6 speed box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

thanks Sean...will look at that !! thanks a mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The savings may not be massive getting a diesel if your doing lots of peak driving in traffic, bighting the bullet and going to the dark side and getting a hybrid might make more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

you really need to do some maths and work out if its financially worth the extra cost of a 04/05/06 diesel. You might be able to pick up a 08 petrol for a few extra quid and at that stage the cost of tax can't be argued with. I mean, you're probably paying around €400 a year on tax on your passat. If you buy a diesel you're most like going to get a 1.9 or 2.0l which is around €600 a year. If you can stretch to a 08 model, depending on the emissions, your annual tax will only be €156.

Bearing in mind that diesel is cheaper at the pumps and you get more miles for your fuel they are more expensive cars to buy so you really need to do your own maths as you are the only one that knows your mileage, commute times and driving style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Find a 1.6 diesel?? Focus, C5, C4, 307...?

Astra 1.3cdti saloon... nice cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

my sister had a 06 1.6hdi 307. she changed to a 05 2.0l tdi audi a3 and said she would never go back to a peugeot again. i drove a 206 diesel for 1 day (had it on lone while i was waiting for my car to be repaired) and ended up leaving it at home and driving my mothers micra instead!!
    the tax on the 1.6 hdi is nice compared to the vag 1.9/2.0 do.... i sugested the tdi passat because its the same car you are use to driving (comfort, controls, use to the size for parking etc) but the tdi is a way better engine than the 1.6 petrol. i love my diesel in traffic. just release the clutch and away it goes. no need to touch the accelerator at all!:D

if you think the tax is to high on a 1.9 (582 for a year. i got my renewal during the week) look into getting a corolla 1.4 d4d as well as some of the cars mentioned by si_guru.. none will be as comfortable as the passat do..
    try and avoid the new shape passats. i hear they give trouble...:mad:

if your budget is small you prob wont be able to afford to go for a 08+ for the new tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

If you do choose a VAG group TDI make sure its been kept very well and check the service history. Make note of the garage that appears the most often and least often and I recommend you ring them up and ask what oil they would use in the engine.

The reason for that is that the newer bunch of the 1.9 TDI's and the first generation of 2.0 TDI which were around in the years mentioned were prone to problems when the wrong oil was used. Extra wear and tear and bad things.

There are three types of TDI engine for 2000 to 2006 or something.
    1.9 VE
    1.9 PD
    2.0 PD

The VE ones in my opinion are the best of the bunch because they dont suffer from the wrong oil thing. The PD's do suffer from it so you need to figure out if the car you are looking at is a VE or PD. The confusion is when its a 1.9. There was a cross over period from old to new that I cant even begin to try and work out but its around the 2002 mark.

VE Pros: More solid engine (to me anyway)
    VE Cons: Less go go compared to the PD. Can only be found in older VAG cars.

PD Pros: More go go, found in newer cars.
    PD Cons: More things can go wrong because of the upgrades and more so the bad maintenance.

The both have the same fuel efficiency.

If ruddy only they PD was as bulletproof as the VE.

And if you do get one, for feck sake use the right oil lol

Advertisement