Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

small sailing boat needed for inland lakes (charter)

• 16-04-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

I have sailed the Lough Derg last year and loved it. This year I would like to try a different one.

I am not sure which of the big Irish lakes are navigable.

If you can share that kind of info with me I would appreciate it.

I am also looking for somebody I could charter a boat from.

I have the Day Skipper Cert and have been sailing since 1994.

The boat I am looking for is someting small day sailer kind of a thing.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Ree has a yacht club, but only Derg has rentals

http://www.shannonsailing.com/rentalAndCharter.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 limerick4life

http://www.shannonsailing.com/rentalAndCharter.htm That's the crowd I sailed with last year. Is Lough Corrib navigable at all?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Depth is a major issue in Corrib AFAIK, Derg or the Shannon estuary is probably your best bet.

Dyflin wrote: »
    Depth is a major issue in Corrib AFAIK, Derg or the Shannon estuary is probably your best bet.

Would you know a website with info on irish lakes(depths, navigability etc)?

Maybe I should opt for a dinghy with sail rather than a killboat daysalier?

iwai.ie would be the best place, talk to the locals on the forum there.

If you're just day sailing, then something like a wayfarer or a drascombe would probably be your best shot.

• Advertisement

Dyflin wrote: »
    iwai.ie would be the best place, talk to the locals on the forum there.

If you're just day sailing, then something like a wayfarer or a drascombe would probably be your best shot.

I registered with IWAI and will use their forum as well.

There's going to be two of us sailing. If we get something like a wayfarer or a drascombe we will simply take a tent with us.

Previously we sailed a Tirion on Lough Derg and slept inside.

Good fun.

Advertisement