Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best manafacturer

Options
  • 16-04-2010 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, I'm looking to buy an ATI 5770 but since I've never bought a GPU before, i was wondering who is the best dealer? Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte, etc?
    apart from the obvious price differences and slightly varying base clock speeds there doesnt seem to be an obvious difference...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

There isn't. They all just re-brand and wholesale the same cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Completely depends on the warranty they give. Xfx used give a lifetime warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

Asus, as they give a 3 year warranty, plus you also get the ability to tweak voltage...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

evga also have a lifetime warranty on their cards. just as well, as nearly every nvidia card known to man explodes at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It pretty much depends on the extra's included with the card such as games, cooling setup and price overall.

Tho the Galaxy brand are to be avoided at all costs imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 daboymolly

thanks for the input, but i ended up getting a sapphire model from pixmania for €135! thats a steal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

ASUS are good. Also I can recommend Sapphire and if you get one of their Vapor-X cards the coolers are much better than stock coolers and quieter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

These card seem to be holding their price for a long time , I have been watching them for about 6 months and no sign of any noticable drop .

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Would a 5770 be a good choice for gaming at 1680x1050 resolutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Carne wrote: »
    Would a 5770 be a good choice for gaming at 1680x1050 resolutions?

From what I remember, the 5770 is roughly equal in performance to the 4870.

So, Yes it is a good choice at that resolution

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yup, though in theory a slightly OCd HD5750 512MB should be able to do 99% of stuff at an acceptable framerate on high settings below 1080p too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

How would it perform (opposed to a 5850) at 1680x1050 resolution on games like Napoleon Total War, Metro 2033, Settlers 7 and Dawn of War 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

Rezident wrote: »
    ASUS are good. Also I can recommend Sapphire and if you get one of their Vapor-X cards the coolers are much better than stock coolers and quieter too.

Asus ask for £30 to look at a card that's under warranty. The motor went in the fan on mine and they were looking to charge 30 before they'd look at it. :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Pretty sure that illegal though... if its dead, its dead, and you're then protected by Ireland's statutory rights as regards a replacement within warranty.

Advertisement