Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated Metal Albums

Options
  • 16-04-2010 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

I saw a thread like this on the Alt+Indie forums, and couldn't help but think of some metal albums that(To me) are just completly underwhelming, I'll start:

1) - Raining Blood, to me it just sounds like the same 3 riffs.
    2) - Deathcrush, great songs, but the songs were really written for Deads vocales.
    3) - Belus, nothing new, and that made most of the fans happy, but I was still disapointed.

Post some albums that you think are overrated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

cypharius wrote: »
    I saw a thread like this on the Alt+Indie forums, and couldn't help but think of some metal albums that(To me) are just completly underwhelming, I'll start:

2) - Deathcrush, great songs, but the songs were really written for Deads vocales.
    3) - Belus, nothing new, and that made most of the fans happy, but I was still disapointed.

In a way, i'd agree with Reign in Blood. The songs are so short, there is no progression. Sometimes you could be giving it a listen and think you may only be on song 3 and actually be on song 8 for example. I love the title track and Angel of Death ranks as one of my all time favourites though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

cypharius wrote: »

Heresy, burn him i say! Or at least see if he floats!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Metallica - Black Album

never got it, especially considering the beast that is AJFA was the album before it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

These are all my opinions of course, so I don't want to see anybody telling me I can't say Metallica is overrated lest the gods of metal strike me down or anything.

Metallica's And Justice For All and Master of Puppets.
    Both albums have some damn good songs on them but overall I just don't get the praise that they receive.

Mastodon - Crack The Skye
    I just don't think that this album was executed as well as all their other albums. The Czar and The Last Baron are very long-winded and get boring and I just can't stand Quintessence. The rest is good though...

That's all for now... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Degag wrote: »
    In a way, i'd agree with Reign in Blood. The songs are so short, there is no progression. Sometimes you could be giving it a listen and think you may only be on song 3 and actually be on song 8 for example. I love the title track and Angel of Death ranks as one of my all time favourites though!

An albums place in time needs to be factored in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

These are all my opinions of course, so I don't want to see anybody telling me I can't say Metallica is overrated lest the gods of metal strike me down or anything.

Both albums have some damn good songs on them but overall I just don't get the praise that they receive.

Mastodon - Crack The Skye
    I just don't think that this album was executed as well as all their other albums. The Czar and The Last Baron are very long-winded and get boring and I just can't stand Quintessence. The rest is good though...

That's all for now... :cool:
    I don't think justice is as good as master I think it hints At the decline that was the black album but seriously master of puppets o
    is a genre definng album. Again rember it's place in time

Tigger wrote: »

I disagree. A poet once said that when studying the works of poets, you should think of it as if they are all in the same room together rather than "this guy influenced this guy."

Just because an album was insanely influential and original at the time doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it any more or less.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mater is a great album. In terms of metal many parts were never done before and in some cases never done since.
    Orion is pretty much unique. Both Battery and Damage Inc. with their slow intros thrusting suddenly into an in your face thrash track, are excellent tracks, the likes of which haven't been matched since.
    Sanatarium - what can I say?
    Other tracks IMO are still very well compoised and performed - possibly not to my tastes completely (e.g. The Thing...) but still are noteworthy.
    I don't particularly like the direction Metallica went after that - possibly because of the absence of Cliff. Still credit where its due, MoP is an excellent album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

entirely from a musical POV? but regarding Reign in Blood, it sounds dated not even remastering could change that - but regarding its structure it was supposed to be short sharp shock not a w*nk prog metal opus. the cover is a work of art though.. as is the album tbh cos it was the height of visceral thrash it sounded like they were on crack cocaine on there rabid solos n vocals in particular. was like an incendiary device in the face of tipper gore n right-wing christian groups they were outraged.. shock value must not be discounted and that album landed a big f*ckn thump

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Tigger wrote: »

Absolutely, and i meant to say that in my post. For an album that was released more than 20 years ago, it is absolutely phenomenal. There are bands existing today that will come nowhere close to emulating it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

-I personally think Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast is incredibly overrated. It's an emotional favourite for the fans of the band, first album with Dickinson and all that, but the pieces are better than the whole. 3 absolute belters of tracks, accompanied by a selection of pedestrian ones...

Iron Maiden hit their opus in '83 with Piece Of Mind and followed that up in '84 with Powerslave, both far better than the 1982 predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DazMarz wrote: »
    -I personally think Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast is incredibly overrated. It's an emotional favourite for the fans of the band, first album with Dickinson and all that, but the pieces are better than the whole. 3 absolute belters of tracks, accompanied by a selection of pedestrian ones...

Iron Maiden hit their opus in '83 with Piece Of Mind and followed that up in '84 with Powerslave, both far better than the 1982 predecessor.

Would have to agree with you. It was the first LP that I got, and also the first time I got an album on it's release day. It will always be held in a special place in my memories, but as you pointed out, there have better Maiden albums than it.

I disagree that it only has three top tracks with the rest being pedestrian though. It has five very strong tracks on the original release,

Hallowed Be Thy Name
    Children Of The Damned
    22 Acacia Avenue
    The Prisoner
    The Number Of The Beast

One good track, imho,

Run To The Hills

And two weaker tracks,

Gangland
    Invaders.

Later editions of the album would include extra tracks, but all that added was filler to be honest.

DazMarz wrote: »

Totally agree with NoTB. There's only about 3 tracks that I think are good compared to Powerslave or even their first album, which is my favourite.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd agree to a certain extent. I remember being a bit underwhelmed by both albums. Probably because I got Ride the Lightning first which I felt, and still do feel, is superior. After hearing all the hype about MOP was a bit disappointed

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

machine head-the blackening

can't see what all the hype is about this one.for me it's noise for the sake of noise.don't think they're up to much live either.seen them 5 times and only once did i enjoy a show by them.

psychozeb wrote: »
    machine head-the blackening

can't see what all the hype is about this one.for me it's noise for the sake of noise.don't think they're up to much live either.seen them 5 times and only once did i enjoy a show by them.

I'm sorry but that's just stupid, and there are so many less melodic bands which the label of "noise" would make more sense (The black metal band portal spring to mind) but Machine Head?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

I'm sorry but that's just stupid.

thats my opinion not asking you to agree with it.

psychozeb wrote: »
    thats my opinion not asking you to agree with it.

I'm not asking you to like the album either, but saying that "it's noise for the sake of noise" is not an opinion because it's saying that the band deliberately set out to make noise, which is untrue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm sorry but that's just stupid, and there are so many less melodic bands which the label of "noise" would make more sense (The black metal band portal spring to mind) but Machine Head?
    I'm inclined to agree with you ride, one band that springs to mind as "noise" would be AxCx, who are also vulgar and sexist for the sake of it. I still enjoy them though. But I don't see how Machine Head is noise for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

every iron maiden album. rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Nevermind by Nirvana and Appetite for Destruction by G'N'R two albums everyone seems to love but i personally cant stand..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

AlcoholicA wrote: »

So. You've listened to all their albums??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

AlcoholicA wrote: »

The thread is about overrated albums, not overrated bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Master of Puppets

Don't get me wrong, great, great album but don't really know why it's liked THAT much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Ramza wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, great, great album but don't really know why it's liked THAT much

Says the man with a 'Metallica Fan' sig! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Says the man with a 'Metallica Fan' sig! :D

And lines from a song off Master of Puppets too :rolleyes:

And lines from a song off Master of Puppets too :rolleyes:

Just because he thinks it's overrated doesn't mean he doesn't like it... I like all three albums I listed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

All Hope is Gone by Slipknot. So many people in my area raving about it, I didn't get it. At all.

Denny M wrote: »
    All Hope is Gone by Slipknot. So many people in my area raving about it, I didn't get it. At all.

Anything by Slipknot can go to the **** Albums section... which should exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

slipknot are enjoyable, I for one don't really take them too seriously though.

I myself don't really understand all the raving and hype around Converge's Jane Doe, maybe I need to listen to it more? hmmmmm

also to the guy who said that The Blackening was noise for the sake of noise.....lol wut?

Advertisement