Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 5230 or 5530_ 3G or WiFi??

Options
  • 16-04-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I have the 5230 but when I got it I was told it has wifi which it does not. I'm now not sure whether to pay about 40€ extra for the 5530 to get wifi (and a slightly better camera- but no 3G) or stick with the 5230 and use 3G for browsing.
    The 5230 has GPS but I think the 5530 doesn't. I'm not sure if the GPS is much use or if it is expensive to use?

I have never bothered with internet on phones before but I'm going to start now.

I would be interested on people's comments on which phone to go for or on the pros/cons of 3G V WiFi?
    For instance, is there much wifi available around and about in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

what network are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Meteor PAYG. Currently using meteor friend to friend which I find very handy/cheap.

Ok, thats good. The reason i asked was to see if you were with meteor or o2 so you could go far the 5530 and have the wifi which you want, but you will have the benefit of being able to use their 'EDGE' network which is nearly as fast as 3g browsing.

Personally i always look for wlan as a feature as a handset, i think its a great function to have as wifi points are very common these days. Its up to you at the end of he day if you want to spend the cash, but if you do go for the 5530, you will be able to browse on meteor's network fine for posting on boards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Thanks Dave,
    I'm not really up on all these protocols or whatever. Is EDGE a slower version of 3G?
    What about GPS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Hi, I'd be interested in this as well.

Currently trying to decide between those two phones also.

But I'm Vodafone PAYG. And like the OP, I've never bothered much about internet on phones but am interested. Just don't know the first thing about it!

It's thoroughly confusing to me - I haven't a clue what's the difference between 3G and wifi and why some people need one but not the other!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Edge network and 3G don't really differ too much I suppose if you want to hook up your phone to your laptop as mobile BB but just a bit of simple browsen edge is fine for it and not that slow too.

JimiMac wrote: »
    Thanks Dave,
    I'm not really up on all these protocols or whatever. Is EDGE a slower version of 3G?

Basically ye it is, but for mobile browsing it think its fast enough.

JimiMac wrote: »
    What about GPS?

The 5230 uses assisted gps, so it uses a data connection (similar as if you were browsing the internet) which you will be charged for. The more you use it, the more it will run up. The 5230 does come with free voice navigation software on the handset, so you can use it like a normally gps device, and it will tell you turn left at 200m like any other gps would.

trio wrote: »
    Hi, I'd be interested in this as well.

Currently trying to decide between those two phones also.

But I'm Vodafone PAYG. And like the OP, I've never bothered much about internet on phones but am interested. Just don't know the first thing about it!

It's thoroughly confusing to me - I haven't a clue what's the difference between 3G and wifi and why some people need one but not the other!

Vodafone dont have a provide EDGE service. Its either gsm (slowest) or 3g (fastest) So you need to decide which you need/ would use more.

3G is a data connection from the handset to vodafones network so you can browse the internet on your phone. You are charged as you use it.

Wifi (wlan) is a connection from a router in your house/coffee shop/airport etc to your phone so you can browse on your phone. They both do the same thing, just depends on where you use your phone.

Advertisement