Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral Questions

Options
  • 16-04-2010 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

So, I have my Irish oral on Tuesday, and I got some questions.
    First, I can hardly speak a word of it, my teacher is terrible, but that's another story.

Anyway, the Sliocht, how easy is it to get full 30 marks? I have written the pronunciation above all the odd words, but I'm still not great at it. Is it easy to get 25/30 if I go slow and pronounce the words well?

Also, if I learn the basics (I mean BASICS...Name, age, date of birth, brothers/sisters), how many marks are possible to get?

Do the examiners help in any way, 'cos I probably won't know what he's saying.

BTW, I'm doing ordinary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

So, I have my Irish oral on Tuesday, and I got some questions.
    First, I can hardly speak a word of it, my teacher is terrible, but that's another story.

Anyway, the Sliocht, how easy is it to get full 30 marks? I have written the pronunciation above all the odd words, but I'm still not great at it. Is it easy to get 25/30 if I go slow and pronounce the words well?

Also, if I learn the basics (I mean BASICS...Name, age, date of birth, brothers/sisters), how many marks are possible to get?

Do the examiners help in any way, 'cos I probably won't know what he's saying.

BTW, I'm doing ordinary.

Sounds exactly like me. The sliocht, 30 marks. I think its easy enough to get all the marks. My girlfriend last year got 30, I did fairly bad but I did really well in the Sliocht. My problem was I was nervous and my speech was affected somewhat so it sounded like I didn't know what I was on about. You should be fine in the sliocht.
    It depends. Like my examiner came in and told us all that he only wants basic Irish. My examiner seen I was really bad at Irish so he just started asking me stuff like if there was a library in my town and a swimming pool and other kinda stuff along those lines. And YES, thankfully, the examiner will do his/her best to help you. Their job isn't to catch you out, so if they see you're struggling they'll help you. Loads of times he asked me something and I hadn't a clue what he said, so I was like ''uuhhhhhh'', said that a few times, and he rephrased the question.

All I'd say is be careful with what you say. He changed the subject a lot with me. He asked me about my favorite programme and I said ''Lost'', he then asked me where it is set, I said America and he then asked me if I went their on holidays ever, I said no. He then asked me if I went anywhere on holidays, I said England. Previously he asked me about my favorite team and I said Man Utd. So when I said I was in England, like a fool I said I went to see a united game. He then said something about we lost to Chelsea last weekend, how do I see the rest of our season going, what we'll win and about next season. I was stuck badly! So theres just a wee tip.

Regardless, don't worry about it. You'll be fine! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Sounds exactly like me. The sliocht, 30 marks. I think its easy enough to get all the marks. My girlfriend last year got 30, I did fairly bad but I did really well in the Sliocht. My problem was I was nervous and my speech was affected somewhat so it sounded like I didn't know what I was on about. You should be fine in the sliocht.
    It depends. Like my examiner came in and told us all that he only wants basic Irish. My examiner seen I was really bad at Irish so he just started asking me stuff like if there was a library in my town and a swimming pool and other kinda stuff along those lines. And YES, thankfully, the examiner will do his/her best to help you. Their job isn't to catch you out, so if they see you're struggling they'll help you. Loads of times he asked me something and I hadn't a clue what he said, so I was like ''uuhhhhhh'', said that a few times, and he rephrased the question.

All I'd say is be careful with what you say. He changed the subject a lot with me. He asked me about my favorite programme and I said ''Lost'', he then asked me where it is set, I said America and he then asked me if I went their on holidays ever, I said no. He then asked me if I went anywhere on holidays, I said England. Previously he asked me about my favorite team and I said Man Utd. So when I said I was in England, like a fool I said I went to see a united game. He then said something about we lost to Chelsea last weekend, how do I see the rest of our season going, what we'll win and about next season. I was stuck badly! So theres just a wee tip.

Regardless, don't worry about it. You'll be fine! :D
    Thanks, but I don't think you understand how bad I am! I wouldn't know what Television is, or football is or anything like that. My teacher has given us free classes since 1st year and I've learnt no Irish since and I've lost anything I had in primary. I know everyone says they're bad, but I truly am awful.

Ah sure, I'll just have to learn some stuff off, thanks again.

Advertisement