Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Whinchats are finally here for a short visit.

• 16-04-2010 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

saw one on my feeder in the garden, although their arrival is not due to May they are early and are often seen here on the north east during their migration. Kind of strange I saw one in an urban area seeing as my book indicates they like to breed in open places such with heather, grass and scattered taller stems of young trees and that it likes heaths and moors.

it says also that they are declining in numbers according to the urban development thats been happening.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

saw one on my feeder in the garden, although their arrival is not due to May they are early and are often seen here on the north east during their migration. Kind of strange I saw one in an urban area seeing as my book indicates they like to breed in open places such with heather, grass and scattered taller stems of young trees and that it likes heaths and moors.

it says also that they are declining in numbers according to the urban development thats been happening.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Hi Stephen,

Are you sure it was a Whinchat? Apart from it being extremely early, they are very scarce and would be extremely rare in gardens unless you live in the middle of a bog. Also they are insect feeders.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

LostCovey wrote: »
    Hi Stephen,

Are you sure it was a Whinchat? Apart from it being extremely early, they are very scarce and would be extremely rare in gardens unless you live in the middle of a bog. Also they are insect feeders.

LostCovey

Hi Lostcovey, according to my rspb pocket book, it feeds also on seed and berries and can be seen on the coast during its migration and I live on the coast.

its definitly what I saw, without a shadow of a doubt, so by the looks of things I've seen something pretty amazing Thank the Lord, because I had just bought the book, was taking it home and thought I'd get used to using it, I prayed to the Lord that he'd send me something to look at and when after about 5 minutes of looking out the kitchen window I suddenly gave up and then a whole load of birds came, and since I am not accustomed to bird watching I thought it was just a domestic sparrow or something but it definitely stood out from the rest, so I took a real good close look, opened my book and the whinchat was an absolute match, so you'll have to take me on faith for this one as I dont have a photo, but now that I understand it was quite a nice, pleasant and rare sighting, I kind of wished I did. if it helps it was also hopping along the ground picking up insects.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Ooops! Goes to show all I know. Nice find, sorry for doubting you! I never would have expected to see one on a birdfeeder in an urban area.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

LostCovey wrote: »
    Ooops! Goes to show all I know. Nice find, sorry for doubting you! I never would have expected to see one on a birdfeeder in an urban area.

LostCovey

I'm not that intelligent either when it comes to this as I've just quite recently taken interest. No worries I'll just be sure to take a photo next time. :rolleyes::D

Advertisement