Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle West Traffic Light Finally been switch off

Options
  • 16-04-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

live95fm wrote:
    http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item.aspx?arti_guid=26680a14-092b-403d-bc12-c8e012fdd047
    NEWCASTLE WEST TRAFFIC LIGHTS TO BE REMOVED

16 April 2010
    A local campaign to get the traffic lights on the N21 in Newcastle West permanently switched off has been successful.
    The NRA and Limerick County Council have made the decision following years of campaigning to remove the lights.
    Safety experts are currently drawing up plans for pedestrian crossings to be installed.
    Long traffic delays have been experienced recently in the area since the lights were turned back on in March after months of them flashing amber.
    Councillor Michael Collins says its good news for the West Limerick town.

The great bane of many motorist who travels through NCW on the N21 is finally been removed. We have the Guards to Thanks for Ordering the light to remain flashing amber for health and safety reasons.

These Traffic lights were causing mayhem since the day they were first installed. They solve the original problem by add an extra lane for traffic which wanted to turn right towards the centre of the town, therfore preventing traffic behind them heading towards Kerry.

Limerick County Council spend Thousands of Euros in reports and consultants to improve the Traffic flow through this Junction at the Bridge, and yet everybody knew that the lights were the major cause of Traffic problems with high volume Traffic passing through the town. They just did not want to remove these lights. They finally caved in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I used to have to drive through that *****hole on my way back from Listowel every week. I eventually plotted a different course (via Athea and Ardagh) for the summer months when the backlog could be a mile long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

mike65 wrote: »
    I used to have to drive through that *****hole on my way back from Listowel every week. I eventually plotted a different course (via Athea and Ardagh) for the summer months when the backlog could be a mile long.
    Yea, The Summer Traffic was miserable even 15 years ago especially during the Marching Season up North with people getting out of the North heading to Kerry adding that blasted Traffic Light made it worst for all year round Traffic. It should be easier now once that traffic light be permanently removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Nooooooooo,this wasn't meant to happen till after my driving test,I'll never maneouvre that crossing now!

Now all we need is adare to be bypassed and traffic probs will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

Does anyone else find it near impossible and scary to drive out of ncw and turn right through this junction? The traffic lights were never the best idea, but having nothing there at all isn't going to solve the problem. Somebody suggested a small roundabout before, I thought this was a good idea.

toothie wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it near impossible and scary to drive out of ncw and turn right through this junction? The traffic lights were never the best idea, but having nothing there at all isn't going to solve the problem. Somebody suggested a small roundabout before, I thought this was a good idea.
    This Junction is too small for a roundabout and the Traffic on the main road will speed through this junction. If you observe drivers on the tiny roundabout mark on the road in other towns, you will see what I am talking about and it more dangerous than no roundabout, as the wreak-less driver think they have right of way and speed on and the other drivers obey the rules of the road regarding roundabouts making a collision a high possibility.

The Extra right lane from the Limerick Direction helps to absorb waiting traffic turning into the town centre. There is always breaks in Traffic coming from Kerry direction or drivers letting you finish you turning manoeuvre.

But I am assuming you meant driving from North Quay, Stop on the Bridge waiting to Turn Right towards Kerry. It the same as any T-Junction on any road. You have to wait until you have a break with Traffic.
    You just have to be a little aggressive in getting onto the road, otherwise you will always be afraid. The Trick here is to wait for a break from the Kerry Direction and move onto the road when you got it and wait until drivers from the Limerick direction let you go or there a break for you to complete your manoeuvre. Just ignore any cars going from the Kerry direction , they just have to obey the rules of the road. If you are waiting a little while, do not panic.
    Drive in Mediterranean Countries and you will get this down to a fine art very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 timmyleonard

The pedestrian crossings will be essential for pedestrians- let's hope they do NOT continue to try and cross the road at the most dangerous place - in the mouth of the junction!! And diagonally!!

Now it is down to a bit of live and let live - move and let move. Right of Way is a fine thing- but if each motorist was prepared to give other road-users a break now and then in emerging at this junction,it would go a long way towards keeping everyone moving.

Should there be traffic emerging onto the main road from this junction - seems like madness! Will the middle of the road island remain?

I think the traffic on this stretch of road moves at too fast a speed- some ramps would calm things down and prevent the 'fastard' driver from bearing down on the junction at speed, thereby giving no opening to emerging traffic.

So much for the NRA, the County Council and all the high-powered engineering brains!! Talk about slow learners!! Maybe the electricity was too costly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I ignore any posts written all in bold.

Good that this is sorted finally.

ch750536 wrote: »
    I ignore any posts written all in bold.

Good that this is sorted finally.
    Agreed, Bold people are just too loud to hear their words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Place needs to be bypassed, as does Adare.

Advertisement