Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a new tyre?

• 16-04-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

With added pictures...

Here are a few pics of the tyre I busted a few days ago. Do you think I need a new tyre?

img2079.jpg
    img2082x.jpg

and just for the hell of it, how brave do you feel?
    img2078i.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

yes, in my opinion

and I'd be 50 km/h brave :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I'd definitely recommend getting a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ah sure go on and get a new tyre.

As for how brave I'd feel - am I driving with that tyre, or with my own? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Go 80kmh but be prepared for a blowout or something similar:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Absurdum wrote: »
    and I'd be 50 km/h brave :D

Pffft

The Ladies Lounge is now under Soc :p

OP I'd be having a new tyre, it's hard to tell what damage has been done and the piece of mind will be worth the cost of the tyre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Aww... those are expensive tyres. About 80eur each. And I only got it a month ago...

I might not throw this tire away though. Might use it in an emergency of some sort someday!

And I took that pic up in the carlingford mountains last weekend. A few days before I busted the tyre...!
    Although the speed limit was 80kmph, didn't go above 70kmph. Though you need to be a bit mad to do 80kmph on that road or your name needs sound like Sebastian Loeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wouldn't risk it, very strong risk of a blow out, did you hit a kerb with them? They don't look like a great make of tyre to start with, I take it they are not a known brand by the looks of them?

I wouldn't risk it, very strong risk of a blow out, did you hit a kerb with them? They don't look like a great make of tyre to start with, I take it they are not a known brand by the looks of them?

They're continentals.
    And yup, I hit a kerb with them...

Didn't expect continentals would rip apart like that considering they're one of the priciest tyres out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They're continentals.

Didn't expect continentals would rip apart like that considering they're one of the priciest tyres out there...

Yes wouldn't have expected that, must have got a fair old belt. Not a whole heap you can do it with it now, even putting it as your spare wouldn't be much use as it will fail the NCT with it.

Anyone of ye know a good tyre center I could go to get good tyres for decent price?
    And where I wouldn't get old tyres that rip apart as easily..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Did you get a new alloy for the car yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, €80 is not expensive compared to your life if you get a blowout. When it comes to sidewall damage it's a no brainer for me, I'd replace the tyre everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

could you not have just posted the pics here?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055880801

^Well, its a fairly old thread so I left it alone...
    Confab wrote: »
    Did you get a new alloy for the car yet?

Nope... Alloys are fairly pricey...
    And I'ld like to get 16" ones if I was to get new ones (infact these ones:http://www.performancealloys.com/details.asp?procedure=wheel&id_wheels='Superturismo%20GT%20Black'&id_wheels_manufacturers='O.Z%20Racing'&id_wheels_sizes='16x7'&price='179'&permission=58844229) but I don't know how well it'll go down with the insurers...
    I first have to confirm if the high speed vibrations is due to the wheels or if its the bearings, bushes or something else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You would be much better off getting a new tyre as the alloy wheel, especially the type fitted on the Puma, would likley have damaged the cords inside the tyre.

Your spare wheel should have the same size tyre as the road wheels so you could use that tyre as a spare as long as no bulge appears.

The side walls on those conti econcontact tyres are very soft and very prone to that type of damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

They're continentals.

I've had the same thing happen to me twice with continentals as well. I'm not sure if there's a weakness in them or not, but if so.. its an expensive flaw to have. First time the tyre blew straight away. Second time it developed a massive bulge in the sidewall, so there was no way to take a chance on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Aww... those are expensive tyres. About 80eur each. And I only got it a month ago...

Got news for ya buddy, 80 quid for a tyre isn't expensive!
    Heres a continental in my rear size:
    http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m61b0s22p52360

Unfortunately it looks from your first post you definitely need a new one I'm afraid!

^Those are big 255 R18 tyres.
    Mine are tiny 195 R15 tyres...

But yeah, I do think I need to get a new tyre. I'll do it tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Its cheaper for me to buy a brand new alloy with a tire on it from the UK than buy a good tire here...

Volvo wanted 450 for a new alloy the uk 2nd hand like new 140 euro... *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

With added pictures...

and just for the hell of it, how brave do you feel?
    img2078i.jpg

Sorry for going off topic but just to comment that those lights look to be focused really high - unless you happen to have been on a steep uphill gradient when you took this. The cutoff point there is well above the roof level of most cars whereas it should be somewhere at or just below the level of the headlamp unit. From this picture it looks like the lights will shine onto the faces of oncoming drivers and dazzle them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The stepped blockwork on the left would suggest an up hill climb drBill.

And as for the signs my bravery would be influenced by whether I'm leaving or entering a built up area.

OP, I wouldn't trust a tyre that had been kerbed and nicked like that, it's likely to have internal damage, and it wouldn't keep it as a spare either or for a trailer either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The stepped blockwork on the left would suggest an up hill climb drBill.
    Well yes but even so, either the car itself or the lights would seem to have a higher upwards trajectory than the road.

Advertisement