Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of large tortoises?

Options
  • 16-04-2010 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I was in a pet shop today and they have a large tortoise, don't know what type. But they said it was €3000-4000! That seems crazy to me. Who would pay that? They said you can get smaller ones for €200-300. I don't know if it was a special breed or anything, but is this normal for tortoises? Just wondering cos I'm curious about it now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

this is what my local pet shops charges. cant remember what breeds they have, think there is about 3 dif types, all around the same price. agree with you must be mad to pay them prices, some have to have liecence. would love one, always have since i minded one when i was a kid, it was the class pet. used to take turns in holidays to mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

some tortoises can be 10'000 + some are just very rare + the bigger ones take a long time to grow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Oh my god . . . I guess people pay that much for other rare types of animals. It's still crazy though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If they are rare in general then they shouldn't be sold as pets they should be put into proper breeding programmes.

So many people buy them without thinking ahead the novelty outweighs the fact that the animal may live out the owner.

I don't think they should be sold as pets personally but the high price hopefully will put off less serious people. Not refering to you op just the public in general will see them as a novelty and an impulse buy without realising the care and the lifespan of these critters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I definitely agree. And the pet shop would probably sell it to anybody with the money. I'm not sure if it's expensive because it's rare or because it's big. I hope it gets a good home soon anyway because I'm not sure if the pet shop environment is the best for it . . .

• Advertisement
Advertisement