Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tokyo

• 17-07-2008 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Am traveling to Japan this Sept with 3 friends and am looking for any sound advise...
    We fly into toyko and out of Osaka. We've already have the first weeks accom organised in Tokyo and Mount Fiji and I'm fearful to be misguided into prebooking the whole trip also so far we've gone down the hotel/ guesthouse route and might be missing out on the social scene as we're all in our late 20's early 30's.
    Any info on Naygoto, Kyoto, Hirosohima and Osaka would be of great and any beach info of easy access to any of these locations...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Hey Lainey,
    The best advice I can give you is to buy JR rail passes before you go over. They'll save you a fortune. Kyoto is the best of those places you mentioned - it wasn't bombed during the war and its the cultural capital of Japan. Loads of great places to see including gion (the geisha district), the golden pavillion and the ninja house.

I only really passed through Osaka - didn't see anything too special about it that Kyoto or Tokyo wouldn't cover off.

Hiroshima is well worth seeing - its very affecting but theres also a great vibrancy to it. Be sure to spend an afternoon at Miyajima. Its an island off Hiroshima which has loads of deer and monkeys on it. It also has the famous floating torii.

Mount Koya (Koyasan) is a great trip too. Its where Japanese buddhism stems from - you can stay in monastaries.

We just booked our accommodation as we went along (using the web). There doesn't seem to be any real fun hostel scene there.

Feel free to pm me with any questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

I'm heading to Tokyo for 10 days next week. ANyone got any tips on what to do there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

I might have the chance to go in around February or March.

Any suggestions on what to do or places to see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have any particular interests?
    It'll be cold and probably snow so you could try skiing? There is no outdoor natural skiing in Tokyo. Time-wise, the nearest large-scale skiing and snowboarding region to Tokyo is in Yuzawa (using the Joetsu Shinkansen it takes about 70-80 minutes to get there).

Kamakura is also in a day-trip distance from Tokyo and famous for its open-air big Buddha statue.

Make sure to eat LOTS of sushi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Brian Griffin

In Tokyo city/area look into these places- shibuya, shinjuku, harjuku, Kichijoji, shimokitazawa.

shibuya, shinjuku are big central areas. Look into the Loft(rocker\punk\funk\rocabilly)for Live music in shinjuku.

harjuku has two nice park beside each other one with a temple and the other for sitting and relaxing (you have groups of people dressed up here)

Kichijoji, shimokitazawa are two funky small areas with shops cafes and pubs.

Only a small amount of info but look into the areas yourself and you might find things you like here.

I was mainly over in these areas for music. Small interesting venues. and there is the studio gibly museum near Kichijoji.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 kdevaney

Heading to Toyko for a week as a stopover before hitting Austrailia.

Never been, never heard much about it really.

Looking for info on the usual

Where to stay (Looking for hostels or cheap hotels preferably)
    What to see
    Where to eat

Flying in to Narita Airport, ive been hearing alot about the price of trains and transport. Being honest i couldnt imagine use venturing too far from Tokyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

would also love more info about tokyo! Hoping to go next summer, i know they have a disneyland, after that im fairly lost, also trying to figure out where is the main area we should try and stay in because i want to be able to go and do as many things without travelling too far, had a look on maps and that but its still fairly confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

The main area in Tokyo is a place called 'Shinjuku'. Remember that zebra crossing from Lost in Translation? Well that's where that is! I was there last summer and it's a crazy place. The train system is sooooooo confusing! I don't know how I did it! I found not many people spoke english over there though, and many of the menus were in japanese??!! Maybe it was just the places I visited, I don't know? Lots of hotels around Shinjuku depending on your budget.

Some of the things I did...

If you're adventurous and willing to eat some sashimi- raw fish, you have to visit the Tsukiji fish market, but you'll have to go really really early in the morning to get the full effect of what happens there!

There's loads of temples over there. One worth visiting is the Senso Ji Temple. It's touristy and impressive and there's lots of stalls to pick up some Japanese souvenirs.

Lots of shopping over there as you can imagine! Be careful if you're thinking of buying electronics due to their different voltage system. Go to Akihabara- electronic street if you're interested.

If you've time to travel outside Tokyo, do! Maybe check out some of the hotsprings?

I was thinking about stayin in the koto ward because it seems fairly central and isn't too far from disneyland and i could be very wrong but it seems like its in the general "new tokyo" area. Only going for a week, going to suprise the boyfriend with it for his bday but ya see hes all mad into it and im sure if he knew about it hed know of plenty places to go, I don't have any particular interest in going there just know he has always wanted to go so I figured I would arrange that but its very difficult to try and arrange a suprise like this. Im looking for something to do each day say for 5 days because you can't really do much the day you arrive or the day you leave, disneyland is 1 place so I have no clue what I am going to do the other 4 days. I don't even know whats there which makes it alot more difficult and being in a completely different language doesn't help either. Does anyone know if there is like a technology museum or something because he is mad into that kind of stuff and that would be his main reason for wanting to go there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

There's the Sony Centre in Ginza which has 6 floors of the latest electronics !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

I lived there for 5 years up to '97. For best bang for your buck out of a 1 week stay I personally would recommend staying in Shibuya which is I think 3 stops away on the yamanote train line from Shinjuku. This area still has 5000 people cross the street every time the lights change during rush hour but would be slightly more... 'tourist friendly' would probably be the best way to put it. Should be some good hotels and hostels in that region also.

For a 1 week stint it is also farily central. I don't recommend being near disneyland. If you are you are a long way away from anywhere in the city you would want to be. It is a bit of a pain to get to from the most of the city but still wont take much more than an hour on the train and would if I remember correctly include 3 seperate train lines. All train lines are colour coded and have the names written in the standard alphabet (a-z). Pick up a map at any train station and you will be fine.

Meguro on the yamanote line from Shibuya has the biggest temple in the city which is good for a look.

Harajuku on the same line is good for a laugh on Sundays. get off the train and you will see a big park full of people. Here the goths, mods, schoolgirlsw and the rest listen to music and dance around in a circle. It's a typically youth of today Japanese thing and some are hilarious to watch. just don't walk through the group of them dancing as this is seen as very rude and the biker types will give you a kick up the hole.

Shinjuku good for nightlife but almost exclusively Japanese.

Roppongi is a nightlife centre that caters very largely for foreigners. Tokyo tower is also 1 train stop away from Roppongi on the same subway line.

Shibuya has some of the best clubs in the city. (still have friends there which is how I know this).

Other than that I'm not really sure what it is your interestesd in but let me know and I will post again when I am back online.

Hope this helps

Oh and by the way, it was the best place I have ever been and would go back in a heartbeat. Have a great time!!

Ok so i will have a look out for hotels there, technology mostly, not really for food we are both kind of picky eaters, and then just the general touristy kind of stuff I supposed, like you know if you went to london you would go to see the big ben, buckingham palace, madam tausauds etc the equivalent of that except in tokyo I suppose. Thanks for all yer help because I don't want to land us in the back arse of nowhere with everything miles away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I live in Tokyo, so I may be of help with locations, travel, etc.

I wouldn't really call the Kōtō ward central - most of the interesting stuff in Tokyo (IMO) is over to the West (and you'll probably only go to Disneyland once anyway). Having said that, no matter where you are, you'll be near a train station that can get you wherever you need to go. Check out Sakura Hotel for relatively cheap accom; you could also stay in a 'ryokan' (traditional-style inn) for even cheaper. I tend to recommend the Ikebukuro area for newcomers to Tokyo - it's a fun town in itself, and it's not a bad area to travel out from, while being relatively inexpensive (compared to the likes of Shinjuku, Shibuya).

You can get discount rail tickets if you buy before you come to Japan (have a quick google). Taxis are expensive here, but trains and buses are pretty cheap.

My recommendations for stuff to see would be something along the lines of:

Shinjuku/Shibuya area: Strain your neck in the skyscraper district of Western Shinjuku, check out the fashionable Harajuku area in Shibuya, nearby Yoyogi park (contains the Meiji shrine), then grab dinner in central Shibuya or Shinjuku's 'Shin-Ōkubo' Korean district.

Taitō area: Asakusa is a very popular tourist destination, containing the Sensō temple, plus you're quite close to some interesting architecture (e.g. the Asahi Beer hall, the Tokyo Sky Tree (currently under construction, already officially the tallest structure in Japan)). Then pop over to the famous Ueno park (unfortunately you've missed the cherry blossom season, but it's still nice to have a stroll around the lake, and Ueno zoo is contained within the park).

Minato area: This is where you'll find Tokyo Tower and the madness that is Roppongi. The Shimbashi/Shidome area contains some pretty interesting modern skyscrapers, and I believe the artificial island of Odaiba is technically part of Minato. The fully-automatic (no driver!) Yurikamome shuttle gives a great view of the famous Rainbow Bridge connecting Odaiba to the mainland.
    Remember that zebra crossing from Lost in Translation? Well that's where that is!

Nope, that's Shibuya (near the Hachikō exit of Shibuya station)

Shibuya is definetly your best bet as far as I would be concerned so but I'm sure everyone has their own opinions.

Akihabara is the name of the train stop you want to go to for electonics. It's about the size of Limerick city centre and there is nothing there except electronic shops. Each one of these on one of the top floors will have a floor dedictated to western or multiregion products rather than NTSC and 110V. If I remember correctly they will even either sort out the vat duty paperwork or deduct it from the price at source on these floors which is handy. You actually can play shops off one another here on price.

If your a picky eater then food will be more expensive than the standard japanese I'm afriad.

Get a subway map online before you go and work out the names of the train station of where you want to see. This will help alot. Mainly with confidence while your finding your way around the stations.

Meguro shrine is pretty cool. Tokyo tower gives you good views over the city. Ginza is the place which would be like 5th Avenue in the states. (Also direct train line from Shibuya - Gold line). Yokohama is a neighbouring city which has a large marina and is very pleasant to walk around.. . .Akihabara, harijuku which I mentioned before. Shibuya itself is great for shopping. Tokyo Dome is pretty fantastic. Disneyland obviously but remember to bring your wallet as it's not cheap once your in. If I think of more I'll let you know but I'm not sure how much more you will squeeze in.

The narita express is the more expensive train to get from the airport but I would reccomend it. You will be tired when you get there and you don't really want to be messing around with multiple changes. It stops in the main city centre stations. A taxi from here will cost you a fortune.

Trains and buses are cheap and arrive exsactly when they say they will. Just don't turn up at rush hour unless you really want to find out how a sardine feels in the can. Also, the trains stop usually around midnight so note down a last train time to avoid being stranded.

this is all great to hear such good feedback, pretty nervous about trying to organise it, i know im on about it a year before its going to happen but I like to be organised and have an idea of what I'm doing, where im going. I think I will wait until around january to book things because most places don't even have rates up yet for next year. Is there anything in particular i need to know about going there like in relation to travel information? Any special forms i need to fill out etc? Also trying to find out whats the norm over there, read a bit about special trains, taxi's and floors in hotels just for women, and certain opinions on smoking over there, don't particularly wan't to land us in any trouble! Another great thing is I'm sure boards will still be here closer to the time we leave so I can look back over suggested places to go. Planning on bringing the little laptop cos id say twill be handy to have for looking things up. As far as i know we have to fly to london to get the flight anyway! Which is find don't mind that at all. Never had any problems with holidays yet but this is making me quite nervous because a) he knows nothing about it and b) not only are we flying to japan when we fly back to london (if i manage to save the money) i want to then fly to orlando for a week, back to london and then back to ireland and then fly to greece or lanzarote for a week so its going to be pretty hectic but the way i look at is for us anyway this is definitly a once in a lifetime opportunity and i want it to be great! That damn volcano better have sorted itself out by then or we will be fooked!

Sounds like your going to have a great time. I'm very jealous!!!

You might find these useful.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/global/en/index.html

http://www.tokyometro.jp/global/en/service/pdf/routemap_en.pdf

I have no idea about the smoking as there was no such thing as a smokin ban when I was there. Smokes were cheap and available in vending machines on every street corner. (as well as beer, sake, hot cofee etc etc).

It's considered more rude to blow your nose in public than to sniffle.

If they keep nodding their head and making a noise along the lines on 'un' while your talking it's only to show that they are listening.

Cant remember at this stage but I think phones used on public transport was a no no.

Only travel documents you need you will get on the plane.

Taxi drivers will open the door for you automatically. These boys wont ahve english.

They do slurp their noodles. It's not rude but the norm.

ande any boys in very big mercedes cars with blacked out windows parked near pachinko parlours will prob be missing fingers. :-)

ha ha jaysus that sounds feckin mental. yeah well i "gave up"(cut down only bought about 5 packs of fags in the past 2 months) used to buy about 7 packs in a week so i have cut down considerably and am using my idea for the holiday as an incentive to stay cut down and eventually stop - all the money i would have spent on cigarettes I am saving for this trip which will give me 12 months of cigarette money (which is about 55 a week) but i am saving extra on top of that! So hopefully it will all go ahead its also handy because its my birthday two weeks after his so its not just for him like i am going to have fun too. You see most people go travelling after college or before, im not too interested in going away for months on end so this is what i am looking for and im finished college basically since january however he has decided to go back to college this year so by the time he would be finished I don't think i would have any interest then - i am also very impatient and being finished college I don't really have anything to look forward to but this is something to look forward to and I like to have things to look forward too. I also prefer to do things for other people than for myself so I don't mind spending the money on it. Cant wait to see his face tho something along the lines of :eek: that. I have a good idea about where to get hotels for the other locations but tokyo just has me rightly confused. This info has been soo helpful though! Thanks so much and the more info ye have keep sending it on. At least now i know of a good few places to go and where is the best area to stay in which is really handy. Thanks everybody :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 kdevaney

Lads and Lassies your a wealth of knowledge. Thanks very much for the responses, Seems your all quite passionate about the place.

Weve booked a room in this place. Seemed cheap and cheerful, it was recommended recently in the Irish Times review of the city
    http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp./sakura-hotel_attractions.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kamakura is a day-trip distance from Tokyo and famous for its open-air big Buddha statue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

There appears to be some experts in this thread. Help please !

Volcano allowing, I am off to Tokyo this weekend, but Tokyo isn't my final destination and I have to get a bullet train. What I have been told is... from Narita Airport get the Narita Express to Tokyo Station and then get the on the Joetsu-Shinkansen train line.

I am told that sign posts are confusing, etc. So I am worried about (a) getting on Narita Express; (b) getting off as right station in Tokyo and (c) buying tickets for and getting on the Joetsu-Shinkansen in right direction.

Am I worrying too much? Any practical travel trips greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Thanks bedlam, your directions were perfect. It was actually much easier than I expected to navigate around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Read cocoshovels trip report - a lot of info for those heading East.

A great read too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056696321

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Id stay away from spiders and roaches on a stick :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Temperatures in March will be like Ireland, could be cool. But when I was there in March it was generally sunny and pleasant.

Jet lag might catch up on you for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Tokyo is great, spend a few days there when you arrive and maybe a few more before leaving.

Mt Fuji (just south of Tokyo) is worth going to, and climbing by all accounts

Hirroshiam is also a must, not just beacuse on the bomb but it's also a really lively place

Lots of temples in Kyoto worth seeing.

Get a Japan Rail Pass, it's the best and cheapest way to see the country

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

Japan is wonderful, the food is amazing, you'll have a great time. We got a rail pass and it was so worth it. Spend some time in Tokyo and Kyoto. Lots to see in both, we also went on a day trip to Nara. We traveled down to Hirsohima and were really glad we did. It has a very different feel to the main cities and its obviously full of history. I was there end of March/first 2 weeks in April and it did rain lots so be prepared. Enjoy your trip

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JapanZone

During my 23 years living there, I was asked hundreds of times for suggestions about what to see and do in Japan. And I found that the best way to give a really useful answer was to start with a few questions

- what are you interested in? History/traditional culture? scenery/sightseeing? Sports/outdoor activities? Pop culture? Food? Shopping? Japan has amazing things to offer in all of those areas but it's best to focus on one or two for a stay of a week or two.

- how long do you plan to stay, or rather how long can you afford to stay? Not many people travel on an unlimited budget, right? The longer you spend in Japan, the more of the country you can see obviously. But getting around the country can be very expensive. There are ways to reduce that cost, like the Japan Rail Pass and similar deals on airfares for tourists, but they're not that cheap and choosing the right one should be based on your timeframe and budget. Cheap accommodation can be found, but again that requires planning and research. You could "do" Tokyo in a week, but equally you could spend two months there and still discover new things every day.

- when do you plan to go? Some of the best things about Japan are seasonal. The cherry blossoms in spring, the beautiful colours of autumn, both these times of year are peak times for both overseas and local tourists. But they make an amazing backdrop for sightseeing. Summer is the time for the biggest traditional festivals and rock festivals, but it's also a time of year when heat and humidity can be unbearable. Winter is obviously the time for skiing, but many people don't realize what amazing skiing there is on offer in Japan.

There are loads of guidebooks and information websites and they are great for filling in the details. But I suggest you start with the 3 questions above to get a "big picture" idea of your trip. I'm not on here all that often, but I'm happy to help with any questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The warmest place we went (both temperature and temperment) was Okinawa - admittedly it's a bit of a trek from Tokyo.

Tokyo is great fun but can be exhausting, try and get out of it. Go to Nara, Kyoto, Nikko is one of my fave places for a feel of old Japan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikk%C5%8D,_Tochigi

I'm off again to Japan next year - Kyushu this time round. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement