Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, checkout closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Course she should... no point in sitting there doing nothing when paying customers are eager to get stuff paid for and get going.

And how do the 5 non students standing behind you react when 1 turns up and the checkout girl skips them to the front, as that was the purpose of that till?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My local Tesco seems quite civilised compared with some of the ones commented on here. If someone is finishing a shift they ask the last (second) person in the line to put up the till closed sign, but put through the two at the checkout. If they are very busy one of the floorwalkers will stand and turn people away to give the operator chance to catch up.

Customers are also very good for saying 'you go through' if they have a big trolly full and someone behind them only has a couple of items. By the time they have unloaded the other customer is gone anyway.

One thing that really bugs me is when you are unloading a trolly and stuff is going through fairly fast so the belt is moving, when you discover that the fool behind you has also been unpacking and their stuff has caught up with yours so you have no more space. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Course she should... no point in sitting there doing nothing when paying customers are eager to get stuff paid for and get going.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

And how do the 5 non students standing behind you react when 1 turns up and the checkout girl skips them to the front, as that was the purpose of that till?

I guess they'll just have to stand a wait like all the other customers... tough ain't it?

Other than the sick/elderly/needy I don't believe that any paying customer should be treated any differently.

Fighting Irish rolls eyes... I agree... that's what I'd be doing if I was standing 10 deep in a queue simultaneously trying to mind a small child whilst there's an attended checkout completley free but exclusive to students.

What about the old lady in front on me... should she play second fiddle to the students too? Oh, and let's not worry about the chap in the wheelchair... the students, our future, are more important.

I guess they'll just have to stand a wait like all the other customers... tough ain't it?

Other than the sick/elderly/needy I don't believe that any paying customer should be treated any differently.

Fighting Irish rolls eyes... I agree... that's what I'd be doing if I was standing 10 deep in a queue simultaneously trying to mind a small child whilst there's an attended checkout completley free but exclusive to students.

What about the old lady in front on me... should she play second fiddle to the students too? Oh, and let's not worry about the chap in the wheelchair... the students, our future, are more important.

Ah but that's a different issue and I'm sure Dunnes figured that a lot of their money is made off students and decided this was the best approach.

Why knock one form of ageism and then promote another by the way? If you are against favourtism (and to be honest I would be too) then why should elderly people or for that matter those in a wheelchair get skipped ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If it's anything like the shop I used to work in, the till for the students is to make sure they pay for their deli stuff. A read was done every day and matched up with what was sold for the deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

Dunnes is the absolute worst for this, I find the general till staff fine but the staff that work at their kiosks are unreal, they are so slow and so rude, constantly talk amongst themselves.
    There was one woman who I bought smokes off every day and she used to always ask me for I.D if there was someone behind me in the queue who looked like a bit of a do gooder, i'm 23, anyway one time she asked me again and I said 'you have asked me for i'd several times now, you know I am over 18 I have shown you my passport on numerous occasions' and she said 'well i can' remember everyone who I serve' I said 'well i am in here every single day and I used to work in a newsagents and I remembered people if I had asked for I.D or even if I didn't' I got them in the end anyway without showing I.D.

I was bloody fuming, needless to say she didn't ask me again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Went up, put the items on the conveyor belt and the young lady politely told me that "the checkout was for school students only" (they show up in droves at lunchtime for rolls and other deli counter bits).
    There's the problem, they obviously do this for a reason. If she let you go then she's have to let everyone go
    +1, I was all ready for a good rant as I read later posts and was thinking it was some crazy 3rd level only student till, i.e. showing student cards like a cinema, and a dedicated till all day, everyday. A schoolchild till makes good sense, I remember in school we could walk to a local chipper and just barely make it in time back, if it was jammed we would go to the shop next door. I expect the kids might have the same problem, go to the supermarket and find they are late back due to huge queues, or just go to another local shop instead. Obviously this would only be a 30-50min period, and as said if they let one go it would be difficult to refuse the next person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

i avoid dunnes like the plague, never ever ever had a good experience with staff there. the managers are even worse, i shudder to think of the last three encounters. i actually prefer lidl/aldi for dealing with managers :eek:

Why knock one form of ageism and then promote another by the way?

Ageism? Sorry... but it's not ageism... it's simply a case of respect for the elderly.

BTW - Whatever happened to the packed lunch? T'is no wonder obesity is becoming an issue in this country with students flocking to chippers and supermarkets at lunchtime. But I guess that's another discussion.

• Advertisement

BTW - Seeing as the students are getting their curry chips expedited I propose the following:

"I have 1 hour for lunch and am in a rush to get back to work so I can pay my taxes to help fund education" aisle?

or

"I have a small child who is very ill and needs some flat 7-Up to keep him hydrated" aisle?

or

"My parking disc is set to expire in 10 minutes" aisle?

or

"The Gold Club Member (I spend over €200 a week in Dunnes)" aisle?

but they're the god damn rules, people need to get rid of the mindset that shops like tescos owe them something. you don't like how they run their sh1t then you shop somewhere else

but they're the god damn rules, people need to get rid of the mindset that shops like tescos owe them something. you don't like how they run their sh1t then you shop somewhere else

Good to see some fighting spirit from Fighting Irish...

Good to see some fighting spirit from Fighting Irish...

I'm serious though, the majority of people think that if a business gets big then it automatically owes them something

You never hear people bitch about the corner shop overcharging or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm serious though, the majority of people think that if a business gets big then it automatically owes them something

You'll never see that on here because the local corner shop means nothing to most people here.

I rarely use corner shops, they can't afford to sell cheaper than supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

The difference with the corner shop is that people bitch there, to the owner, and then never go back.
    The only reason you see people bitching about the big shops on sites like this is because bitching to the people in the big shop is like farting into the wind, you might feel a bit better but it has absolutely no affect on the wind.

the majority of people think that if a business gets big then it automatically owes them something

The majority of people think this? How do you know this, or is it one of these sweeping generalisations that is in fact just a personal opinion?

You can actually exclude me from that majority. The only thing that I truly think that every business should value their customers and treat them with respect.

thebman wrote: »
    You'll never see that on here because the local corner shop means nothing to most people here.

You're missing my point completely

The majority of people think this? How do you know this, or is it one of these sweeping generalisations that is in fact just a personal opinion?

You can actually exclude me from that majority. The only thing that I truly think that every business should value their customers and treat them with respect.

the majority of people in this thread anyways :D

You're missing my point completely

Maybe we're missing it because you haven't explained it adequately?

I might roll my eyes now... but that would be disrespectful.

• Advertisement

the majority of people in this thread anyways

Oh right... I see... so we've gone from 'the majority of people' to 'he majority of people in this thread'... that's fairly sweeping alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Ill stick my neck out here, there are alot of local/corner shops that seem to get bundled into the whole convenience store --expensive group.

There are alot of local shops out there that offer good value, good service and you dont have to travel, you can get everything you want ie: coal,gas,bricquettes stamps dry cleaning laundry at these local shops that you cant at the supermarkets.

Are we dearer? yes but in all honesty not much dearer over a trollyload of shopping. we cant buy products in container loads but we do the best we can. some of our offers are as good if not better on occasion as the supermarkets.

you dont usually buy as much in your local shop and therefore dont have as much waste.

dont put us all in the same group please, we try to offer a better all round service than the supermarkets sometimes we suceed sometimes we dont.

in most cases we are locally owned, use local tradesmen and professionals and are committed to the locality but aside from that we try to offer as good a service/prices as we can.

the supermarkets are not always cheaper then the local shops and the difference would suprise you.

and if theres even one person waiting id open another till :)

Oh right... I see... so we've gone from 'the majority of people' to 'he majority of people in this thread'... that's fairly sweeping alright.

I did mean the majority of people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

dudara wrote: »
    I don't know why grocery stores don't adopt this method. It's demonstratably the most efficient way of queueing, but I'd imagine that Tesco know what they're doing. Therefore, if they don't adopt this, then there must be a good reason.

Tesco Parnell Street have a single queue system for those without trolleys, as do Tesco Jervis (and maybe others, but I don't know).

It seems like it would be a great idea, but it would involve a large amount of floor space to accommodate lots of trolleys in serial turining around the bendy lane thingy up to the tills.

What Dunnes need are self service checkouts. They are the last to not implement it (of the large Grocery shops).

I've not seen them in any Dunnes - has anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What Dunnes need are self service checkouts. They are the last to not implement it (of the large Grocery shops).

I've not seen them in any Dunnes - has anyone else?

Could be a bad thing for the already low head count in Dunnes if they did get them I'd say, also surprised they haven't got them myself. Union resistance maybe :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

calex71 wrote: »
    Could be a bad thing for the already low head count in Dunnes if they did get them I'd say, also surprised they haven't got them myself. Union resistance maybe :confused:

The Dunnes I work in was supposed to get them but decided against them (the store manager) I think they have them in Stephens Green, must be a nightmare for security though.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Don't see anyone commenting from the perspective of the person at the checkout so here goes!

Do you not think that the member of staff in question may have been told to clock out for her break by a superior so that some one who started later than her can go next! Common sense!

Regarding the employee serving a customer when she was supposed to have closed her station, this happens almost anywhere you go, fact of life! I myself don't in anyway condone her actions because I do find it unfair as to what she has done, but it does happen!

I have worked in the retail sector for almost six years now and in various retail jobs and can honestly say that neither dunnes or tesco have a good queue management system and are most commonly understaffed!

I was in Dunnes, George's St today, and people were literally going all over the show andskipping queue's and no-one there to direct the queues! However, in this case I believe a big factor has got to do with layout of the checkouts and clutter stands in the middle of the aisles beside the checkouts!

BTW - Seeing as the students are getting their curry chips expedited I propose the following:

"I have 1 hour for lunch and am in a rush to get back to work so I can pay my taxes to help fund education" aisle?

or

"I have a small child who is very ill and needs some flat 7-Up to keep him hydrated" aisle?

or

or

Or the "respect someone because they lived to be old regardless of whether they did anything in their life to actually earn said respect" aisle.

Sorry but favourtism is favourtism even if you allow peronal bias to differentiate.

Again though I agree that students shouldn't have a special till.

Sorry but favourtism is favourtism even if you allow peronal bias to differentiate.

Ageism, Favouritism... to me that's just PC bull... but call it what you will... I call them morals. Respecting the elderly is an old skool moral... you can choose to have it or you can choose not to.

However... if you go back to my original point(s) about elderly people and people with special needs it wasn't actually saying 'they should get preferential treatment' it was actually an argument that if school kids get preferential treatment then there are probably numerous other categories of people that possibly deserve to be treated accordingly.

The only people I'm really dissing on this thread is Dunnes management... not school kids. I totally agree that their queue management policy is bordering on non-existent and I don't agree that it's right to have an attended till sitting idle when people want to get stuff paid for and get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I propose the following:

or

or

or

So go to a manager in dunnes and suggest these. Perhaps they will think it is a good idea and will maximise their profits by doing so, no doubt that is why they have this schoolchild till, which I think is a very clever idea, and obviously the managers in dunnes did too.
    However... if you go back to my original point(s) about elderly people and people with special needs it wasn't actually saying 'they should get preferential treatment' it was actually an argument that if school kids get preferential treatment then there are probably numerous other categories of people that possibly deserve to be treated accordingly.
    In dunnes & tesco they already have larger parking spaces intended for families with kids, this is at the expense of people who could otherwise park there. If these spaces were not so big you could fit more spaces overall in the place. They have trolleys with seats for children, I have no personal use for these but am charged more for my products to cover this expense. There are numerous other situations so go and tell dunnes what you think. My local pub has a toilet for disabled people, the local tesco has parking spots for them. I expect some people think they should use these facilities if nobody else is at the time. In some gyms and swimming pools females get preferential treatment in the fact their changing room facilities cost more to build, same with female toilets in many establishments.
    Same could be said of a disabled person turning up to see a queue of abled bodied people in line to use the diabled toilet. Or large families turning up to see single people taking up their family parking spot, and other single people in line waiting for them to leave to take the spot again. Others will respect the establishments intention for these facilities, and not try and bully staff into going against managements decisions and possibly get them in trouble.
    thebman wrote: »
    In many cases they can, since with many items supermarkets are making massive profits on particular items. Some people seem to have weird notions like there is a legal maximum for a profit margin or something, like in the ripoff forum some people seem to question the legality of charging more per kilo/litre/unit for bulk products or mulitpacks.

Advertisement