Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry, checkout closed

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

So go to a manager in dunnes and suggest these

What, as opposed to discussing it here on boards.ie? Isn't it the purpose of the board that people engage in discussion? Where's the rolling tumbleweed icon?
    In dunnes & tesco they already have larger parking spaces intended for families with kids, this is at the expense of people who could otherwise park there. If these spaces were not so big you could fit more spaces overall in the place. They have trolleys with seats for children, I have no personal use for these but am charged more for my products to cover this expense. There are numerous other situations so go and tell dunnes what you think. My local pub has a toilet for disabled people, the local tesco has parking spots for them. I expect some people think they should use these facilities if nobody else is at the time. In some gyms and swimming pools females get preferential treatment in the fact their changing room facilities cost more to build, same with female toilets in many establishments.

What exactly is your point?
    Same could be said of a disabled person turning up to see a queue of abled bodied people in line to use the diabled toilet

Comparing a student waiting waiting 10 mins to pay for their roll to a disabled person waiting to use the disabled toilet really isn't a credible comparison. It's just an exaggerated argument for arguments sake.

BTW: Ever seen this happen if your lifetime? Ever?
    not try and bully staff into going against managements decisions

Bully? The bully word is being bandied around now... when you weren't there, didn't witness what happened, are basing your assumption on a short description of the incident that I provided, know close to nothing about me or the type of person I am. The situation was handled in a mild, calm and utterly respectful manner.

It seems to me that what you are effectively saying is that if you don't agree with store policy and then express your entitled opinion to a staff member in a polite and respectful manner then you're a bully? It was the girls choice to serve me, if she chose not to then I would have respected that and queued elsewhere.

Not exactly moderator standards to be coming out with a totally unfounded suggestion that I am bully... that's what I would consider a personal remark of the derogatory kind.

Some people on this thread agree with a dedicated check out for students and some, including me, do not.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter, there is no right or wrong opinion. The only thing that any decent person would expect is, that whether your agree or not, that your opinion is respected.

Just because I disagree with another person opinion doesn't mean I'm going to start coming up with totally unfounded slanderous remarks towards others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jpb1974 wrote: »
    What, as opposed to discussing it here on boards.ie? Isn't it the purpose of the board that people engage in discussion?
    We have been discussing it, and I am giving you a suggestion on how to get your excellent proposals implemented. Perhaps you had not thought of going direct to dunnes and informing them, I am just recommending it as I think it is the best way to follow on from here.

What exactly is your point?
    It is quite simple, you said
    probably numerous other categories of people that possibly deserve to be treated accordingly.
    And I was explaining that many other categories of people do get special/different treatment. This is not an isolated occurance, it is quite common to see differential treatment.
    Comparing a student waiting waiting 10 mins to pay for their roll to a disabled person waiting to use the disabled toilet really isn't a credible comparison.
    I think it is, some people have unusual sort of pity or make irrational allowances for say wheelchair bound people. A mate of mine was temporarily in a wheelchair for a while and found the treatment he recieved quite bizarre and completely unwarranted. We were at a concert in a massive queue for the bar and the barman waved us on up to the top ahead of everybody, nobody batted an eyelid. 1 week later he was on crutches and probably would not have recieved the same treatment.
    BTW: Ever seen this happen if your lifetime? Ever?
    Yes I have, I have seen guys in wheelchairs waiting outside disabled toilets at concerts & pubs many times, people come out to see them waiting and are overly apologetic as though they severely wronged them in some terrible way -just for keeping them waiting a minute while other queues to cubicles could be 5 deep at gigs.
    not exactly moderator standards to be coming out with a totally unfounded suggestion that I am bully
    I never said you were a bully, report the post if you have a problem, perhaps read it again too.

You said to the girl
    "But there are no school students that require the checkout at the moment, so rather than you sit there idle can you not tend to other customers".
    I would not see this as bullying, its a simple reasonable question and you got a perfectly reasonable reply.

I am just recommending it as I think it is the best way to follow on from here

Thanks, appreciate the advise.

is quite common to see differential treatment.

Aye, and some I agree with and some I don't.
    unusual sort of pity or make irrational allowances

Are you sure you're not confusing what you consider pity and irrational allowances with ordinary common deceny where there only intent is to actually help people whether the person actually wants/needs it?
    1 week later he was on crutches and probably would not have recieved the same treatment.

Probably? I could probably win the lotto at the weekend.
    Others will respect the establishments intention for these facilities, and not try and bully staff into going against managements decisions and possibly get them in trouble.
    I never said you were a bully

Err... so who were you talking about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

This is an aside, I know, but I would hope that it may hope that it may change someone's thinking.

Disabled means not working. Maybe try out people with disabilities or special needs.

• Advertisement

Disabled means not working

Disabled doesn't necessarily mean 'not working'.

A 'Disabled Parking Bay' isn't a parking bay that doesn't work.

Have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disability

• Registered Users Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course the student till thing could be that large numbers of students just let out of class and in a hurry for something to eat could equal hassle. So they decide that a dedicated till keeps all the lads in one place and reduces incidents. How is it all that different to a single basket aisle or a three items or less service till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ilovestyle

Hi all, taught I would let ye know why we say sorry checkout closed..... We do have to eat too:rolleyes: cant work on a empty belly... and more than likely there is no cover with the cutbacks....

Advertisement