Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Irish bank account problem

Options
  • 16-04-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have an Anglo Irish Savings Account but I live in the USA.

I posted a letter to Anglo Irish Bank transferring my money to a safer bank but the bank is refusing my request. I have a letter from <snip> and email from <snip2>, both in the Personal Savings Dept., saying my signature doesn't match. I'm a quadriplegic and my signature is marginal at best.

Any ideas who I can contact to get my money?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Call them and ask how else they'd like you to verify the account. perhaps a copy of your passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 oconno

It will cost me $40 or $50 to call them with no guarantee of a non catch-22 response from them. It was a month ago that I wrote to them to make the transfer.

That's a good idea to send a copy of my passport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

A safer bank? Anglo is state owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

1) "Safer" bank is a bit of a nonsense term. As pointed out above, Anglo Irish is currently state owned and guaranteed - it's as safe as any, if not safer right now.

2) Get Skype (much cheaper rates than phoning) or an international calling card (again, cheaper rates), and call them. Obviously, they have a right to refuse to send off the money if they're not 100% certain that the right person is requesting it. This is especially critical when dealing with things by post. However, you have an equal right to your money, so some arrangement will have to be made. Dealing with them by phone will probably be a lot quicker and a lot more convenient for both and make for better communication.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »

"Safer" bank is a bit of a nonsense term. As pointed out above, Anglo Irish is currently state owned and guaranteed - it's as safe as any, if not safer right now.

Naive, or just wishful thinking?

The Celtic Tiger is dead. Surely you don't believe the Irish GNP can actually cover all the losses Irish banks have accrued due to corruption, mismanagement and general incompetence.

Ireland is teetering on the edge of third world economic status again along with Iceland, Greece and Latvia, and may bring the EU and the euro down with them. Irish real estate still has a long way to fall, foreclosures up, tourism down, Euro down, a barrel of oil is up, unemployment is way up and getting worse. Iceland is defaulting on their payback to the UK banks and Greece isn't too happy with their IMF bailout terms.

Yes, very safe. Be nice to me. You might be in the next generational wave of unemployed Irish house painters overstaying their tourist visas by 20 years to work under the table in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

oconno wrote: »
    Naive, or just wishful thinking?

The Celtic Tiger is dead. Surely you don't believe the Irish GNP can actually cover all the losses Irish banks have accrued due to corruption, mismanagement and general incompetence.

Ireland is teetering on the edge of third world economic status again along with Iceland, Greece and Latvia, and may bring the EU and the euro down with them. Irish real estate still has a long way to fall, foreclosures up, tourism down, Euro down, a barrel of oil is up, unemployment is way up and getting worse. Iceland is defaulting on their payback to the UK banks and Greece isn't too happy with their IMF bailout terms.

Yes, very safe. Be nice to me. You might be in the next generational wave of unemployed Irish house painters overstaying their tourist visas by 20 years to work under the table in Boston.

Which Bank do you consider to be Safer, exactly?.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Which Bank do you consider to be Safer, exactly?.

I wouldn't tell you which bank "exactly." Maybe if you paid me a lot of money for the information, or when you get off the boat you paint my house and tend my garden.

Do some due diligence research at small to mid sized-credit unions and co-op banks where there's more oversight, where the CEO's aren't politically connected high flying multi-millionaire superstars but are conventionally prudent business managers, where there's some local community service in lending patterns rather than over-leveraged speculative lending.

To say that Anglo Irish Bank is safe now because, after ripping off thousands of shareholders and dumping their losses on the taxpayers, they couldn't rip us off again....with the prosperity years came a certain amount of snarky arrogance and it's time to pay the piper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The fact they checked your signature and it doesn't match is for your safety/protection of your money.

A copy of passport/drivers licence should suffice. Did they not suggest this when they said your signature did not match?

I wouldn't tell you which bank "exactly." Maybe if you paid me a lot of money for the information, or when you get off the boat you paint my house and tend my garden.

Do some due diligence research at small to mid sized-credit unions and co-op banks where there's more oversight, where the CEO's aren't politically connected high flying multi-millionaire superstars but are conventionally prudent business managers, where there's some local community service in lending patterns rather than over-leveraged speculative lending.

To say that Anglo Irish Bank is safe now because, after ripping off thousands of shareholders and dumping their losses on the taxpayers, they couldn't rip us off again....with the prosperity years came a certain amount of snarky arrogance and it's time to pay the piper.

Nice attitude. Your Opinion isnt' really worth much really, so I won't be heading your direction to do any of your painting. I doubt many others on here would be either.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    Your Opinion isnt' really worth much really,

No one's opinion is worth much on an anonymous message board. You're off topic, misspelled "isn't'' and mistakenly capitalized "Opinion." Looking back on your posts it would appear the schools in Ireland have not effectively taught the written language.

Don't get me started, I might raise certain issues currently in the news regarding Irish priests and little boys.

No one's opinion is worth much on an anonymous message board. You're off topic, misspelled "isn't'' and mistakenly capitalized "Opinion." Looking back on your posts it would appear the schools in Ireland have not effectively taught the written language.

Don't get me started, I might raise certain issues currently in the news regarding Irish priests and little boys.

Wow. Well done - as grammar Nazi too. You'll get help here for your problems I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You do realise how Credit Unions and MOST co-op banks work, don't you?

(Not knocking your for doing what you are doing, just wondering, like others, where these "safe" banks are)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your question was answered in the very first reply, and all this nonsense about grammar and priests is not helping you at all. If you're not willing to call the bank and ask how to proceed, then you're not going to get your money. It's as simple as that. So until you call and ask how to proceed, I'd suggest you keep other topics of discussion to more appropriate forums.

Same goes to other posters too.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    1) "Safer" bank is a bit of a nonsense term

Maybe I took offence too much at the accusation of being "nonsense" but, If you boys (or girls) get snarky, don't whine about it when some elderly gentleman is childish enough to snark back at you. No need to paint my house anyway; it's vinyl siding.

I have just spoken by telephone (at their expense) with a very polite and helpful employee of Anglo Irish Bank in Dublin. My transaction is taking place and the snafu appears to be resolved, maybe, I hope.

Advertisement