Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English syllabus question

Options
  • 16-04-2010 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

"Note that, in responding to the question set on any given poet, the candidates
    must refer to poem/s they have studied but they are not required to refer to
    any specific poem/s, nor are they expected to discuss or refer to all the
    poems they have chosen to study
    ."

Taken from the 2009 syllabus on examinations.ie
    Does the bold bit mean we can just say "I studied these 6 poems (name them here)." and then go on to only talk about say, 4, without losing marks?

EDIT: Actually taken from the marking scheme, had them both open, I'm an idiot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

"Note that, in responding to the question set on any given poet, the candidates
    must refer to poem/s they have studied but they are not required to refer to
    any specific poem/s, nor are they expected to discuss or refer to all the
    poems they have chosen to study
    ."

Taken from the 2009 syllabus on examinations.ie
    Does the bold bit mean we can just say "I studied these 6 poems (name them here)." and then go on to only talk about say, 4, without losing marks?

If all the information is relevant and such(which I'm sure it is), then I can't see why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Nice one. That should save me a LOT of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I have 3 poems in each of my skeleton essays. Enough, d'you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

It depends on the 3 poems really, and obviously how well they relate to the question asked- if one or two (or better still all three of them) are 'weightier' /'meatier'/'the harder ones' (all terms I've heard at various Inservice talks) then you'll be okay. If you pick three easy/less complex/ ordinary level poems then three might not be enough. It doesn't say that in the syllabus but I've heard several examiners and advising examiners say that they would expect some of the more complicated poems to be included rather than lots of easier ones... they reallly need to be clearer about what they expect!

• Advertisement

Where can you find out which poems are OL/HL? I can't seem to find it on the examinations site...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Where can you find out which poems are OL/HL? I can't seem to find it on the examinations site...

www.education.ie on the left is a link to crriculum/syllabus or something and then it opens up with all the subjects

You don't have to list all the poems you've studied though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

"the candidates must refer to poem/s they have studied but they are not required to refer to any specific poem/s"

That doesn't even makes sense :confused:... So we have to refer the poems we've studied but we don't have to refer to any specifically.. So hypthetically you could just refer to the poems you've studied and then go off on a tangent and just talk about the poets life or something :rolleyes: Trust them to make a basic instruction open to interpretation..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

"the candidates must refer to poem/s they have studied but they are not required to refer to any specific poem/s"

That doesn't even makes sense :confused:... So we have to refer the poems we've studied but we don't have to refer to any specifically.. So hypthetically you could just refer to the poems you've studied and then go off on a tangent and just talk about the poets life or something :rolleyes: Trust them to make a basic instruction open to interpretation..

I think they mean that the question will not mention a specific poem that you must reference in your answer.

About how many poems you should use in your question - I wrote on 4 in depth and mentioned the names of two others and I wrote on an easier poet - Ted Hughes (seriously, his poems are really simpal and direct, not really abstract type stuff at all). I got full marks in the poetry section so it really depends on your ability to waffle and use the poems to your advantage rather than how difficult the poems are.

• Advertisement

As far as I can tell that means you don't have to mention a certain poem in your answer, i.e. if you were answering a question, there isn't any one poem you have to mention, you can talk about any of the poet's works.

Yes, basically you don't have to mention/discuss any specific poem on the course but you cannot answer the question without referring to any of the poems on the course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

As far as I can tell that means you don't have to mention a certain poem in your answer, i.e. if you were answering a question, there isn't any one poem you have to mention, you can talk about any of the poet's works.

Well there's me looking stupid:p

lol, I did think the same thing the first time I read it so no biggie

Advertisement