Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

part time electronic music production course in sound training center

• 16-04-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

well boys, have any of yous been to the sound training center to do the electronic music production course in temple bar?

thinkin of doing it after the summer.so just wondering what yous think of it or know any one whos been to it?

iits for 15 weeks one nite a week.costs a grand so i want to be sure before i start.ive had reason for a couple of years and think itll be cool. im making housy techno but would like to do a course as i think i got as much as im gonna get frm youtube and magazines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Chr0_x wrote: »
    well boys, have any of yous been to the sound training center to do the electronic music production course in temple bar?

thinkin of doing it after the summer.so just wondering what yous think of it or know any one whos been to it?

iits for 15 weeks one nite a week.costs a grand so i want to be sure before i start.ive had reason for a couple of years and think itll be cool. im making housy techno but would like to do a course as i think i got as much as im gonna get frm youtube and magazines

id imagine its a beginners course no?if so it might be going over stuff you know already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chr0_x

ah ye,might be a bit but id like to learn properly for once cos im sure i could improve on the basics anyways.been meanin to do it a long time.

has any one done it there?or know if its any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

id say most people on here have just done it themselves and to be honest theres some fella doing very very well at it on these boards.

id honestly spend the money on a pair of decent monitors and maybe getting a new daw.

not saying reason isnt capable but there are better daws out there imo.

the normal way to get better would be try and make a song and when your stuck(ie cant synthesize a particular sound,mix is muddy,no punch etc) come on here and ask.

if your dead set on spending money on a course try and find a person who will teach you 1 to 1 so your not going over **** you already know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

seannash wrote: »
    the normal way to get better would be try and make a song and when your stuck(ie cant synthesize a particular sound,mix is muddy,no punch etc) come on here and ask.

if your dead set on spending money on a course try and find a person who will teach you 1 to 1 so your not going over **** you already know.

I think Sean has hit it on the head there. Its really about sitting down and making tracks and creating problems for yourself to see what way to solve them and setting goals for yourself with each track. Chances are you probably won't meet those goals or you won't solve those problems but you'll get a better understanding of your daw and bit by bit it'll get easier for you to work out how to do things. Tutorials on youtube are great and all but unless you're applying them in a practical way within a track they are easily forgotten.

I use Reason too and with every track I've worked I've set out some sort of goal. At the beginning it was trying out the different synths and trying to make something last a couple of minutes. Next it was getting my head around the samplers and creating sequence runs for the Thor from scratch and then it was trying to make the tracks not sound like they were made in Reason by messing around with patches, getting good refills and trying to make the songs a bit more dynamic. Tbh, its result in me producing a lot of crap but each time I've finished something I mightnt have been happy with what I made but I was happy with what I've learnt. There are a lot of people on here who are willing to give advice and who will listen to songs you post up and try and help you out with suggestions to improve what you're doing. What I've learnt from people giving me feedback has been invaluable. It might only be a few sentences or a few words but its always given me something to mull over in terms of approach or structure.

Sean's right though as well about spending money on a course. If you really think it will benefit to get some tuition get some one on one. They'll be able to find out quite quickly how much you know and will be able to do something tailored to suit your level of knowledge. Unfortunately I can't recommend anybody. Maybe there is some one else on here that can help you there?

Advertisement