Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Here's a selection I bought this evening

Have had the Zeitgeist, really nice.

Drinking the Neuschwansteiner Weihnachts-Bier, it's a delicious dark ruby red malty brew. I love this beer.

Hehe, was someone in Carry Out?

I actually bought two cans of beer for the first time in over 5 years yesterday.
    It was Punk IPA though!
    Every beer in that timeframe has been some form of craft beer or "slightly off the beaten track" beer.
    I don't think I've bought a Carlsberg or Heineken in about a decade.

Polishing off a Brooklyn Local 2 with a curry tonight.
    Going down extremely well. Very nice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

BaZmO* wrote: »

Well at least noby got the sarcasm!

I was too lazy to dig out the "That's the joke" Simpsons pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

noby wrote: »

I was too lazy to dig out the "That's the joke" Simpsons pic.
    Same here. Thought I'd try subtlety instead. Oh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Punk IPA again last night.

Say whatever you like about Brewdog, but it is one really tasty beer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Punk IPA again last night.

Say whatever you like about Brewdog, but it is one really tasty beer.

I think most people agree that Brewdog do make good bears (punk, hardcore, 5am saint, etc) but they make a lot of gimmicky ****e too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Had Chatoe Rogue First Growth OREgasmic Ale last week, wasn't up to much. Have felt Brewdog's Punk hasn't been as good lately, sticking to 5AM Saint and Hardcore at the moment.

I did get some Punk cans there lately, and they really fizz up when you open them. Never had this problem before with any Brewdog beers, but it was quite bad.

Got the Franciscan Well Stout aged in Jameson casks, but am going to save it for a few weeks. 11 euros for a litre bottle, not too bad, hopefully it tastes good !

ASJ112 wrote: »
    I did get some Punk cans there lately, and they really fizz up when you open them. Never had this problem before with any Brewdog beers, but it was quite bad.

Really? I had two cans of Punk on Friday and there was practically no fizz when I opened them.
    Might have been a different batch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Hit up ATG yesterday, partook in some

8 degrees winter ale - got a great example of the style, too clovy
    O hara IPA on cask - as nice as you would expect
    SV tumblr on draft - amazing stuff on draught, far nicer then bottle
    Finished with a regular SV

Picked up 4 bottles of Tumbler in O'Brien's today, on bottle #2 while watching some football infront of the fire. Sure what else would ya be doing on a sunday evening in december?

• Advertisement

currently sipping on and very much enjoying a bottle of 2010 Matilda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

stuchyg wrote: »
    Hit up ATG yesterday, partook in some

8 degrees winter ale - got a great example of the style, too clovy
    O hara IPA on cask - as nice as you would expect
    SV tumblr on draft - amazing stuff on draught, far nicer then bottle
    Finished with a regular SV

I love tumbler. But without trying to sound like a dick, why do you always call it SV?

^^^^ usually on tablet or phone and quicker then typing Sierra Nevada which I just realised should be SN, slaps head and shouts kn0b

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tried Brewdog 5am Saint and Punk IPA in Against the Grain on Friday night, both very tastey. Had a few pits of Dart Arts as well, fast becoming a Favourite of mine.

Had a bottle of Wychwood's King Goblin last night, as I'm a fan of Hobgoblin. Bit more fruitier than I was expecting, but very enjoyable. However at 3.99 a bottle won't be having it too often :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Meantime London Stout is the beer this evening.
    Reminds me a lot of Dark Arts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Omer Blonde Ale: First time having this. A solid and tasty Belgian blonde.

Schneider Weisse Aventinus: One of my all-time favourites, but I thought last night's bottle tasted blander than usual. Strange.

I picked up my Drinkstore order at the weekend.

DSCN0664.jpg

Should be getting a delivery from BrewDog and Ales By Mail today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Omer Blonde Ale: First time having this. A solid and tasty Belgian blonde.

Schneider Weisse Aventinus: One of my all-time favourites, but I thought last night's bottle tasted blander than usual. Strange.

I've been making that very claim for a while now - the Original seems to have been toned down too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

KJ wrote: »
    I picked up my Drinkstore order at the weekend.

DSCN0664.jpg

Should be getting a delivery from BrewDog and Ales By Mail today or tomorrow.
    Let me know how the Hilden beers are, I'd love to try them.

Im having Hilden Halt right now. It's nice but not too dissimilar to smithwicks.

Before this I had 2 sips of Wychwood Snakesbite. It's disgusting. Straight down the sink. Worst drink ever.

• Advertisement

has this last night, cask cider in WJ Kavanaghs

8b12e1c11d7d941332b80d92f42f4adb24b1cd4b-1353171647

Snap!

photo_90.jpg

Finally got round to trying it. Beautiful stuff. Not cheap though, €6.50 a pint but I definitely think it's worth it. Proper cider!
    I actually would've said that I'm not a fan of cider, mainly due to a couple of bad experiences in my youth, but proper cider is a whole other animal. I also had a bottle of Stonewell Cider over the weekend which was lovely too.

I had a pint of Cask dry hopped Purgatory Pale Ale in Kavanaghs, which was top notch and beautifully hoppy. And while I was there I picked up a bottle of Dr. Rudi to take home with me. I was actually surprised at how nice it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

KJ wrote: »
    Before this I had 2 sips of Wychwood Snakesbite. It's disgusting. Straight down the sink. Worst drink ever.

I quite liked Snakebite. It's bit like a shandy. Nice with some ice, mainly a summer drank though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Glenvw

Got couple bottles in superquinn. Belgian ale duvel is very hard to get down super strong. Brewdog 5am saint is very nice.

Glenvw wrote: »
    Belgian ale duvel is very hard to get down super strong.

The duval that's floating around Ireland the last year is really, really, really, young, it's not great young, it needs time to develop. If you have the patience, buy a bottle and stick it in a cellar/cupboard for a year or two and it will be a totally different beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

And while I was there I picked up a bottle of Dr. Rudi to take home with me. I was actually surprised at how nice it was.

Wasn't a fan of it at all.

Was in there on Sat night, sat up at the bar and had a grand aul chat to the Barman, and the Australian woman who runs the place.

There was a girl there who they said was a "blogger", she was doing some beer/cheese matching. Wouldn't mind reading the blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Living in Spain at the moment and I have to admit that their beers are quite good. Recently I've been drinking a beer called Cruzcampo and I must say that it could give a few of the more well known beers in Ireland a good run for their money. Plus the fact that it's a good bit cheaper than the imported beers here, helps considerably too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    I've been drinking a beer called Cruzcampo and I must say that it could give a few of the more well known beers in Ireland a good run for their money.

But not Heineken surly, a rose by any other name............. :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

While I've never had this beer I often see people on here saying that beers change and/or are toned down

Why do breweries do this???

While I've never had this beer I often see people on here saying that beers change and/or are toned down

Why do breweries do this???

mass appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

oblivious wrote: »
    But not Heineken surly, a rose by any other name............. :p:D
    Ah well, tbh I'm not a big fan of Heineken, I think it has too much gas in it. When I drink beer in Ireland, I prefer Bavaria and Tuborg, I think they're quality beers but of the main ones, Carlsberg is my favorite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Snap!

Finally got round to trying it. Beautiful stuff. Not cheap though, €6.50 a pint but I definitely think it's worth it. Proper cider!
    I actually would've said that I'm not a fan of cider, mainly due to a couple of bad experiences in my youth, but proper cider is a whole other animal. I also had a bottle of Stonewell Cider over the weekend which was lovely too.

I'm the exact same, never enjoyed cider at all until i had a stonewell's, then this cask stuff set my taste buds a popping. apparently WJK's are getting more of it in again, well read it on twitter at some stage (may have been the stuff you get there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Glad to see the Rogue Mocha Porter back in stock in the Drink Store in Stoneybatter.

Lovely stuff.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/353

I'm the exact same, never enjoyed cider at all until i had a stonewell's, then this cask stuff set my taste buds a popping. apparently WJK's are getting more of it in again, well read it on twitter at some stage (may have been the stuff you get there).

There's not much difference from the bottled version from what I can remember. Their apple juice is sublime too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Gotta try that Whitewater Christmas beer. Their Clotworthy Dobbin and Belfast Black are two of my favourites. Wasn't pushed on the Copperhead, though.

Giving the Innis And Gunn Spiced Rum Finish a go. Not overly excited by it. I've the Whiskey Cask, I might try later, but as much as I like the original, I'm not overly keen on their special casks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grayditch wrote: »
    Giving the Innis And Gunn Spiced Rum Finish a go. Not overly excited by it. I've the Whiskey Cask, I might try later, but as much as I like the original, I'm not overly keen on their special casks etc.
    Devil's p1ss!

The rum one wasn't bad by the end of the glass, but nothing special. I think I'm done with any Innis & Gunn, bar the odd bottle of the original every now and again.
    TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    When I drink beer in Ireland, I prefer Bavaria

Jaysus, man. I find it to be a really low quality beer. Tasteless gas water. I can get the stuff for free and I still pass it up :/

Jaysus, man. I find it to be a really low quality beer. Tasteless gas water. I can get the stuff for free and I still pass it up :/

I think thats why its ok, tasteless fizz with no offensive taste, like some of the other cheap 6 for €7 offerings such as Dutch or *shudders* Primus.

Have a Rogue Pumpkin for later, looking forward to it. Drinking a Baird Brown Ale now, its more of a mirky red, but decent flavours in there, except for a slight tang, poor storage conditions maybe.

Anyone ever tried the Rogue Irish Style Lager? They have it here in the 'Liquor Store' for about $8, I'm not sure if I want to shell out for Rogue's interpretation of Harp but, alas, curiosity will get the better of me.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I think thats why its ok, tasteless fizz with no offensive taste, like some of the other cheap 6 for €7 offerings such as Dutch or *shudders* Primus.

Never had a Primus, but I'd agree that even Bavaria is leagues better than Dutch. Jaysus, even Carling is better than Dutch.

For session beer when money's tight, it's Spaten, or Newcastle Brown, for me :)

Never had a Primus, but I'd agree that even Bavaria is leagues better than Dutch. Jaysus, even Carling is better than Dutch.

For session beer when money's tight, it's Spaten, or Newcastle Brown, for me :)

Primus is feet beer, it truly is terrible, popular among some of my friends because it shares its name with the band.

Newcastle brown is nice, I wouldn't session on it just because it seems a little sticky/sweet after 1 or 2. On the tight budget I'd go for the Bav every time. Then again if I can't stretch to 6 pack of Guinness Extra I probably shouldn't have a few anyway. Here Molsen Canadian and Rolling Rock (for old times sake) are inexpensive and inoffensive. But generally a 6 pack of bottles will run about $12-$14 whether its a craft(ish) brewery or a macro lager.

• Advertisement

Last night I had a Thornbridge Chiron in The Salt House. Lovely APA. and at €4 for a 330ml glass, great value.

Also had a pint of Sierra Nevada Tumbler, which is a favourite of mine at this time of year.

My deliveries came. These should keep me going for Christmas.

BrewDog Delivery

DSCN0665.jpg

Ales By Mail Delivery (UK Beer)

DSCN0666.jpg

Ales By Mail Delivery (USA Beer)

DSCN0667.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The Kernel's stuff is wicked awesome. Their Double SCCANS is perhaps my favourite IPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Interesting to see how your taste can change-I used to think Leffe was decent enough, but I'm just drinking one now (for the first time in about 8 months) and it's pretty watery and shiite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

beans wrote: »
    The Kernel's stuff is wicked awesome. Their Double SCCANS is perhaps my favourite IPA.

Wicked and will soon be paying a fleeting visit to Dublin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Brewdog Hoppy Christmas and 8 Degrees Winter Ale last night.

The Hoppy Christmas was nice, a good bit more hoppy than Punk but less so than Hardcore. I thought the hop punch wasn't followed up by enough body to smooth it off so it was lacking a bit there. Probably not worth the extra price tag but most of Brewdog's special brews aren't.

The Winter Ale was nice, strong clove flavours with hints of cinnamon. A nice warming spiced ale but I'd probably only have one of them at a time.

Couple of bottles f O'Shea's Stout I picked up while getting a few bitteens in Aldi today to keep me company in front of the fire tonight.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

I'd drink this ahead of a lot of the more expensive Irish Craft stouts/porters happily. Lovely beer.
    Those boys in Carlow know what they are at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Baronka a Czech pale beer slightly nutty taste an a sweet finish.

Need an American styled hop beer so moving onto Nomad next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

Enjoying Paulaner original munchner helles and Kloster Andechs weissbier dunkel. Simply superb beers.

CDE56CCC-3E63-47E7-9736-C324D7964153-11198-0000061EE5757027.jpg

811806DD-EF10-4D02-AE1D-CBFFA2E78F2B-11198-0000061EEA447A1F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Shepherd Neame India Pale Ale tonight. Very nice, I'll be getting more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement