Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had some friends around last night and we got through a few big bottles!

DSC02055.jpg

The litre bottle was a home brew - India Saison

Not beer but I like this bottle so much I decided to put it up here - a Magnum of 1996 Borolo I've been keeping for about 7 or 8 years. Had this with dinner before al the beer!

DSC02053.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Fullers India Pale Ale it's one of my go to beers when I can't be bothered looking for a new beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Something extra special tonight. Sipping on a Rogue XS Imperial I2PA.

Amazeballs!

The bottle is pretty Amazeballs too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Sipping a bottle of Leann Follain

Never lets me down. Simply a beautiful stout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a bottle of the White Gypsy Imperial Stout tonight. Thought it was nicer tonight than the last time I had it, possibly because I didn't have the expectation from before

Still not the best of the style but a tasty enjoyable beer and I would get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thomasthomas19

having a bottle of guinness foreign extra 7.5%vol
    not as nice the normal stuff, but not bad

having a bottle of guinness foreign extra 7.5%vol
    not as nice the normal stuff, but not bad

By "normal stuff" do you mean pub pints?

Only had foreign extra for the 1st time very recently but it's far nicer than what passes as a pint in most pubs these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Probably tuck into my bottle of White Gypsy pale ale later.
    Still a bit tender after the work Christmas party on Friday. Lunch with lots of wine followed by too much Sierra Nevada Torpedo.
    Ouch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Anyone in Cork know where you can get bottles of White Gypsy beers? I've only ever had their beers on draught, never seen it in off licences.

Anyone in Cork know where you can get bottles of White Gypsy beers? I've only ever had their beers on draught, never seen it in off licences.

Bradley's on North Main Street have it - closed on Sunday's, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Bradley's on North Main Street have it - closed on Sunday's, though.

I think I saw on Facebook that they're open for a few hours this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Really?? I'd be in there fairly often, never noticed it! Must have a proper look tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I was gifted a bottle of this lovely stuff last night and plan on cracking into it tonight.
    Cannot wait :D
    epic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Have a bottle of Innis & Gunn original chilling in the fridge. Will be first time trying it,hope its good.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I was gifted a bottle of this lovely stuff last night and plan on cracking into it tonight.
    Cannot wait :D
    epic.jpg

Should have drank it last night is what you should have done, innit!!:D;)

Have a bottle of Innis & Gunn original chilling in the fridge. Will be first time trying it,hope its good.

Let us know what you think.

Should have drank it last night is what you should have done, innit!!:D;)

I def won't be aging it for a year and letting all those delicious aplha acids breakdown and become boring :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Let us know what you think.

Nice smooth beer. Very subtle Oak aftertaste. Quite sweet flavour too.
    I've a highland cask lined up next. Expect more oomph from it but hope its not too 'peaty'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Spent the night in the Hole in The Wall last night.

They are really very good down there, pretty good range of bottles for sale in their off licence, which you can buy for €5 to drink in the pub.

I had both Chorca Dhuibhne beers, the ale and stout. Something from Ridgeways called Rudolf's Revenge, a Clotworthy Dobbin, a Black Rock from Dungarvan and an Adnam's Innovation.

Wife was drinking O'Hara's Winter Star.

• Advertisement

I've a Fullers India Pale Ale cooling in the fridge.

Heading for a walk & I'll finish off my weekend with it before a relatively early night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I def won't be aging it for a year and letting all those delicious aplha acids breakdown and become boring :P
    Alpha acids actually give beer its bitterness. It's Beta acids that you don't want to breakdown.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Alpha acids actually give beer its bitterness. It's Beta acids that you don't want to breakdown.

sos your face. either way. id rather have a well hopped beer fresh and experience it at its best.

alphas breakdown over time and lose bitterness btw. where as betas breakedown and become bitter. eitger way. both are better fresh.

I've a Fullers India Pale Ale cooling in the fridge.

Heading for a walk & I'll finish off my weekend with it before a relatively early night.

Very nice indeed

A bit like Galway Hooker but a bit more flavour IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

A friend gave me a shout yesterday that they had Anchor's Christmas 2012 in their offo.. Popped in to grab a few..

Its fairly nice.. Ill be back for more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

was in Drinkstore today and got a few btls for the xmas, White Gypsy imperial stout, American pale ale, Belgian dubell also got a Thornbridge Raven black ipa, Anchor porter and a few btls of Dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout.

Saturday i was in Kenny's of Lucan and had a btl of Galway Hooker but at €5.75 not happy with the price

• Advertisement

Nogne 100 is the tipple tonight.... Well, what's left of it after it frothed up yet again when I opened it.
    Not a happy camper. :mad:

No Beuno, I'm sipping a Dungavran Coffee and Oatmeal Stout post dindins, tis yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Very nice indeed

A bit like Galway Hooker but a bit more flavour IMO

Good to get a fresh opinion on this beer. This review from the Beer Nut has put me off trying it up to now. Might just have to give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Had 2 cans of Canadian brewed Smithwicks last night, brewed somewhere in Quebec I think. Comes in at 5% and is pretty much the exact same colour, slight more of a hop bite to it but just as thin. Oddly being considered an import beer its held in somewhat of a high regard by people here.

Tonight is a bit of a special occasion, I've a bottle of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout to try, I've been looking to taste it for well over a year now so we shall see. I'm expecting to be a bit underwhelmed.

Eight degrees brewing Knockmealdown Porter

Nice beer, very nice in fact, but I'd rather O'Hara's, Fullers or Guinness Foreign Extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

innis & gunn highland cask.cant get enough of it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This review from the Beer Nut has put me off trying it up to now. Might just have to give it a go!
    If the shop has Bengal Lancer get that instead. It's a bit odd that Fuller's makes both those IPAs: one's great and the other, um, isn't, IMO.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Haven't tried the other one, but Bengal Lancer is delicious

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Couple of bottles of O'Shea's Irish Pale Ale from Aldi. It's a steal at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Haven't tried the other one, but Bengal Lancer is delicious

My sister in law got home from England yesterday and she brought me some Bengal Lancer, amongst other delights. Have it chilling in the fridge now. Just had Fullers ESB for the first time. Wasnt bad. She got me some Fullers Golden Pride, which I'm looking forward to trying.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Nogne #500 for me, currently my favourite beer. I got no frothy explosion when I opened it Heroditas. Only have had that problem with De Molen and Punk.

Going to be having Franciscan Stout later in the week, and praying my friend will bring me some amazing UK beers when he visits from London

Ended up waiting for tonight to crack open this bad boy.
    My thoughts.

First off, the appearance, it's it's extremely clear and very pale, which I guess makes sense seeing as it's majority english pale ale malt and a minority caramalt.

Hop wise they have the "3 C's" of American style IPA's in Cascade, Centenniel and Columbus and a fair dose of Simcoe to back them up.

On the nose you have all those citrusy and grassy notes you'd expect and a little sweetness. It's not a super powerful nose to be honest, but what is there is lovely.

Mouth feel is thin and a decent prickly carbonation, lacks the body of a truly great american IPA like an Odell or a Dogfish Head 60 minute, but it's not what I'd call watery either.

As for taste. The first thing I got was a big citrus bang, somewhere between a good tart marmalade and a grapefruit segment, and with the choice of hops, that's exactly what you'd expect. A little tropical fruit as it progresses, and then a nice bitter piney finish, the malts are just about enough to balance the beer but you don't really get any flavours discernible from them, they are just vaguely "sweet".

All in all, a pretty good beer not in my top 5 IPA's, but wouldn't be far off.

Would be a perfect hot day IPA, and at 6.6% abv, it's not going to blow they head off you but it's not exactly session beer either!

154493_10151336521241294_82571826_n.jpg

Disclaimer: I am a little bunged up at the minute, will try this again in a few weeks, odds are I'm missing out on a lot of flavours and aromas at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone know the cheapest place (or any place for that matter) where I can buy Duvel?

I would post this in Bargain Alerts (Req) forum but i thought you folk would know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

No Beuno, I'm sipping a Dungavran Coffee and Oatmeal Stout post dindins, tis yummy.

Where did you get that, if you don't mind me asking?

Where did you get that, if you don't mind me asking?

O'Brien's in Galway.

• Advertisement

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Nogne #500 for me, currently my favourite beer. I got no frothy explosion when I opened it Heroditas. Only have had that problem with De Molen and Punk.

I've had #500 a few times and never had that problem with it either.... just with #100.

Maybe I'm refrigerating it a bit too much and leaving it on its side in the fridge might not help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Good to get a fresh opinion on this beer. This review from the Beer Nut has put me off trying it up to now. Might just have to give it a go!

I like both beers but do think the Bengal Lancer is much superior that the India Pale ale but Bengal Lancer used to be hard to get in Dublin and I used to stock up on my visit to relatives in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

have a couple of Dutch Gold, the beer you can drink anywhere in fridge for later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Spent the night in the Hole in The Wall last night.

They are really very good down there, pretty good range of bottles for sale in their off licence, which you can buy for €5 to drink in the pub.

I had both Chorca Dhuibhne beers, the ale and stout. Something from Ridgeways called Rudolf's Revenge, a Clotworthy Dobbin, a Black Rock from Dungarvan and an Adnam's Innovation.

Wife was drinking O'Hara's Winter Star.

What did you think of the cul dorcha?

I really enjoyed some over the weekend. No mad flavours. A lovely old fashioned ale that you could imagine aul-fellas drinking years ago.

toffeeshel wrote: »
    What did you think of the cul dorcha?

I drank it after the stout, and unfortunately it was kind of tasteless, because the stout has a good few big roasty, bitter chocolate flavours in it.

What I did get from it was almost sweet, kind of perfumey.

One thing, it didn't feel thin or cheap in the mouth.

I'd give it another go, and have it as my first drink.

The Carraig Dubh is delicious though, absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

I drank it after the stout, and unfortunately it was kind of tasteless, because the stout has a good few big roasty, bitter chocolate flavours in it.
    The Carraig Dubh is delicious though, absolutely lovely.

When drinking various beers on a session I always try to start on the lighter beers and finish on the darker stronger ones- like keeping the best wines for last. I'm looking forward to carraig dubh- it sounds great.

toffeeshel wrote: »
    When drinking various beers on a session I always try to start on the lighter beers and finish on the darker stronger ones- like keeping the best wines for last. I'm looking forward to carraig dubh- it sounds great.

Yeah, to understand my experience, you have to understand the owner/manager of the pub I was in.

He's a bit eccentric.

when I was asking if it was ok to buy the off licence bottled beer to drink in the pub, he asked what style of beer I liked, and I was in the humour for a stout/porter. So he whipped out the Carraig Dubh and gave it to me, it wasn't until I went back that he had the Cúl Dorcha waiting for me, so I took it.

He's more of a wine-head, and the off licence is a pretty good place to buy wine. He'd never heard of the West Kerry brewery, for example.

One thing I will say about him though, he knows how to keep his customers happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

keano_afc wrote: »
    My sister in law got home from England yesterday and she brought me some Bengal Lancer, amongst other delights. Have it chilling in the fridge now. Just had Fullers ESB for the first time. Wasnt bad. She got me some Fullers Golden Pride, which I'm looking forward to trying.

You might want to take those beers out of the fridge a bit before drinking them, they're tastier at around 10-12°C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest place (or any place for that matter) where I can buy Duvel?

I would post this in Bargain Alerts (Req) forum but i thought you folk would know better.
    It's 6 for the price of 5 in Superquinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Hogzy wrote: »

Its 4 for €10 in galvins on bandon road all the time, decent as it retails for about 3.20 per bottle. You could also get a large bottle for about €7-8 a btl too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement