Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

KJ wrote: »
    It's 6 for the price of 5 in Superquinn.

No Superquinn's in Cork which I hate. Love that supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

BeerNut wrote: »
    If the shop has Bengal Lancer get that instead. It's a bit odd that Fuller's makes both those IPAs: one's great and the other, um, isn't, IMO.

I enjoyed the India Pale Ale!

Must try the Bengal Lancer as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭JaManSnowFlake

Buckfast, from the bottle, with the brown bag still on. The bag adds a certain je ne sais quai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Got a 6 pack of Flying Monkey Cascadian Dark Ale, can't wait to try this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Currently having a Rauchbier Marzen ..... Not really enjoying it if I'm honest. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

It's Belgian night in my house. Started with Goose Island Pere Jaques 2009, then Goose Island Sofie 2011, then Goose Island Pepe Nero 2011 and now finishing with White Gypsy Belgian Dubell. The Sofie was the best if the bunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Heroditas wrote: »
    Currently having a Rauchbier Marzen ..... Not really enjoying it if I'm honest. :(

its a very, very "unique" beer.

Seaneh wrote: »
    its a very, very "unique" beer.

It is indeed. In the end it was too much for me.
    I like a smoked whiskey but not a beer with that sort of flavour.
    I think I'll pass in future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have a clutch of Howling Gales chilling presently, will set a few loose tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Schlenkerla marzen, right? Man, I love that beer!
    One of the few beers I actually sometimes get a craving for!
    Funny how it seems to be a love/hate beer for many!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

slayerking wrote: »
    Schlenkerla marzen, right? Man, I love that beer!
    One of the few beers I actually sometimes get a craving for!
    Funny how it seems to be a love/hate beer for many!

I actually got a bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen in my Christmas order from Drinkstore. Reading reviews it's generally described as being one of the bests of the style, but it's also supposed to be a real love/hate beer. I'll have to make sure I'm in the humour for something different when I get around to trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

slayerking wrote: »
    seems to be a love/hate beer for many!
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    but it's also supposed to be a real love/hate beer.

I can't really imagine Nidge, Dazzler and Fran the Man are into their craft/world beers.

They strike me as more "3 Litre of Linden Village" type people really.

:pac:

I can't really imagine Nidge, Dazzler and Fran the Man are into their craft/world beers.

They strike me as more "3 Litre of Linden Village" type people really.

:pac:

I was going to make that reference when typing love/hate but thought to myself, nah too obvious. But fairplay, you went for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Schlenkerla Märzen is magnificent.

It does take a bit of getting used to at first, but I'd rank it among the very best dark beers I've ever tasted. I've been fortunate enough to visit the brewery in Bamberg twice and would recommend the city (and the brewery) to anyone planning a visit to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

KJ wrote: »
    It's Belgian night in my house. Started with Goose Island Pere Jaques 2009, then Goose Island Sofie 2011, then Goose Island Pepe Nero 2011 and now finishing with White Gypsy Belgian Dubell. The Sofie was the best if the bunch.

And not a one of them from Belgium:D

Sofie is a beer I keep coming back to.
    Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Continuing my Goose Island session, I'm now having a Bourbon County. It's amazing. This is the last of my Goose Island beers that I had in my ageing crate. All that's left in there now is some BrewDog, some De Molen and a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Finally had a Delirium Red. €8.50 in Brewery Lane! Just as a once off. It was delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

At €14.63 a pint it would want to be.

There's still so many of the on-tap ones I have to try. 8 Degrees Porter. It's probably about 6.50 a pint :/

If anyone sees Delerium Red in an offie in Dublin, lemme know. I'm gonna be heading to Drinkstore for the Christmas stock-up, but I don't think they have it there.

Grayditch wrote: »
    There's still so many of the on-tap ones I have to try. 8 Degrees Porter. It's probably about 6.50 a pint :/
    You'd be doing well (or unlucky) to be charged over €5 for it. Same with most Irish Craft Beers on tap. Most, if not all, are sub €5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Howya lads, figured here would be the best place to post this.

I'm looking for a nice Dormunder/Helles beer for my Christmas stockpile, anyone know where I could find some or any brands to recommend?

-

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You'd be doing well (or unlucky) to be charged over €5 for it. Same with most Irish Craft Beers on tap. Most, if not all, are sub €5

Must shop better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Must shop better!

I think that Brewery Lane is missing an opportunity- if it lowered its pricing imo it would be much busier. It is a fabulous space with great views but too expensive. That said they do a good meal deal 3 courses for 2 people plus a bottle of wine @ 50 euro. It's worth a visit but not a session!

Yeah, I went in for a few before work the other night. I love the place, but as you said, it's too dear for a session.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm looking for a nice Dormunder/Helles beer for my Christmas stockpile
    Plenty of good Helles out there: Augustiner Edelstoff is a favourite of mine. Even plain old Spaten Helles is lovely. I don't think any of the Dortmunder Export beers are knocking around Ireland at the moment, though.

I think I've just bankrupted myself in Drinkstore this morning! :o

Will post up a pic or two of some of the gems I got later. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I think I've just bankrupted myself in Drinkstore this morning! :o

Will post up a pic or two of some of the gems I got later. :D

Just did the same with their online store myself. May have spend a bit more that I intended but got some nice stuff :)

matrim wrote: »

Just did the same with their online store myself. May have spend a bit more that I intended but got some nice stuff :)
    Same here! Gonna have a Hoppy Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Christmas sorted out for myself:

dscn0999i.jpg

College Green Brewing's Headless Dog, O'Hara's IPA, Brewdog's 5AM Saint, Franciscan Well's Cask Aged Stout (my last bottle :(), Left Hand Brewing's Sawtooth Ale, Brooklyn Brewing's Black Chocolate Stout, Chimay 150 Anniversary, Brewdog's Tokyo, Dungarvan's Coffee and Oatmeal Stout, Galway Hooker, Flying Dog's Farmhouse IPA and finally, a bottle of 12 year old Jameson.

It's gonna be a good Christmas.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

toffeeshel wrote: »
    I think that Brewery Lane is missing an opportunity- if it lowered its pricing imo it would be much busier. It is a fabulous space with great views but too expensive.

Completely agree, I've pretty much given up on the place. Been in there about 3 times over the past few months hoping to see the prices re-evaluated but it hasn't happened. €5.70 for a pint of Irish craft is just way too steep, especially when you can get it for almost a euro cheaper 2 minutes away. Its a pity because it's actually one of the nicest looking pubs in the city center.

Christmas stash!

IMG_20121220_183223.jpg

Have a BrewDog Abstrakt AB:10 and a few episodes of Breaking Bad for tonight :D

Might follow up with a Poterhouse Celebration Stout depending on how I'm feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The Porterhouse Barrell Aged Celebration Stout is fantastic. I bought 24 bottles of it to do me over the Christmas and to use as an introduction to fine stouts for the unenlightened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@ Matrim + Frankie Lee

Where are ye buying these wonderful beers?

I normally use Probus on Fenian St or Drinkstore in Stonybatter. Check the BeoirFinder app, or beoir.org directory for a list of off licenses / pubs

• Advertisement

The Porterhouse Barrell Aged Celebration Stout is fantastic. I bought 24 bottles of it to do me over the Christmas and to use as an introduction to fine stouts for the unenlightened.

Yeah, I still have a few more of them squirreled away at home, along with those ones I bought yesterday.
    I don't reckon there's too many of them left anymore. Drinkstore seemed to be the only place that had any left.

Also, a friend told me yesterday that Carvill's on Camden Street are selling Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne! :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Also, a friend told me yesterday that Carvill's on Camden Street are selling Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne! :eek:

The off license beside Kavanagh's has it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Delicious pint of Hop Head last night at the new Porterhouse place, fantastic beer imo.
    Followed by Spaten Oktoberfest. Lovely stuff.

irish_goat wrote: »
    The off license beside Kavanagh's has it as well.

DrinkStore? The feckers didn't tell me they had it when I was there yesterday. :(

Hole In The Wall have it too.

• Advertisement

DrinkStore?
    No. Across the road from Mulligan's is different from beside Kavanagh's. ;)

I was wondering! I'm trying to visualize the offie in question!

Hmmm, tempted to spin down and see if they have any.

*no, stay strong, stay strong, must resist*

Was in Messrs last night.

They are not doing their own beers any more, and they only had Rusty and Weiss left.

The Weiss wasn't bad, but the Rusty was an abomination, watery and horrible.

They are not doing their own beers any more
    Gah! I figured that was only a matter of time as they ran through the old stock. I'd say we're in for a period of mothballing until the new -- or subsequent -- management gets their act together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Drinking a Crew Pale Ale from CREW AleWerkstatt.
    I had one of their IPA's a few weeks ago and thought it was yummy but I'm really not gone on this.

It's really, erm, odd...

I feel like there's a ton of wheat in this...

Weird germans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

An auld reliable this evening.

Bottles of O'Hara's stout. :cool:

Can't go wrong this time of the year. :)

Spaten Oktoberfest is such a solid beer. Brilliant value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Spaten Oktoberfest is such a solid beer. Brilliant value for money.

Its not in Aldi is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

called into Molloys in Tallaght tonight, got a bottle of Meantime IPA and a box of Westie 12. Also grabbed some dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout earlier today in O Briens, shall be trying tonight

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement