Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stuchyg wrote: »
    Also grabbed some dungarvan coffee and oatmeal stout earlier today in O Briens, shall be trying tonight

Incredible stuff.

Everyone I know who has had some has absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Heroditas wrote: »
    DrinkStore? :(

Drinkstore DO have it- just ask them nicely;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Was in Messrs last night.

They are not doing their own beers any more, and they only had Rusty and Weiss left.

The Weiss wasn't bad, but the Rusty was an abomination, watery and horrible.

Used to love the messrs stuff they had in the Pav in college. Worked out around a euro more expensive than their bavaria deal too so wasnt to bad. Ill have to make do with the headless dog then which is incredible. just more expensive:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had the bottle of BrewDog Nøgne Ø Mikkeller Black Tokyo Horizon that my GF got me a couple of months ago. Wow, such a complex beer, it just seemed to change with every couple of sips. Had a sweetness that you would expect from something so strong but wasn't overpowering and the roasted malt, chocolate and dark fruits coming out of it was something special.

I had a bottle of Nøgne Ø Imperial in the press so decided to try it after the Black Toyko. Last time I had the Imperial I thought it was amazing and really complex. Today it still gorgeous but you could really tell the difference compared to the tokyo, the difference in complexity was really noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

matrim wrote: »
    Had the bottle of BrewDog Nøgne Ø Mikkeller Black Tokyo Horizon that my GF got me a couple of months ago.

I think you should marry this girl;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Today I had a few pints of the Cask Milk Chocolate Stout that Galway Bay have made a very, very small batch of in The Salt House, right now it's only in The Salt House but I'd expect it in the Dublin Galway Bay pubs in the new year. Chris (the brewer) made a lovely roasty stout and added 25ml of lactose per litre and then dry hopped it with cascade and another hop whos name escapes me, cocoa nibs and vanilla pods and the result is a really complex stout. Starts all roasty and coffee with some dark chocolate and then the hops kick in and the end is all lovely chocolatey goodness. The lactose is just enough to balance out the bitterness of the malts and the hops and the end result is just a great stout. I was genuinely stunned at how good it was. That boy is getting better and better with every brew he makes! I just wish Galway Bay had found him sooner!

Seaneh wrote: »
    Today I had a few pints of the Cask Milk Chocolate Stout that Galway Bay have made a very, very small batch of in The Salt House, right now it's only in The Salt House but I'd expect it in the Dublin Galway Bay pubs in the new year. Chris (the brewer) made a lovely roasty stout and added 25ml of lactose per litre and then dry hopped it with cascade and another hop whos name escapes me, cocoa nibs and vanilla pods and the result is a really complex stout. Starts all roasty and coffee with some dark chocolate and then the hops kick in and the end is all lovely chocolatey goodness. The lactose is just enough to balance out the bitterness of the malts and the hops and the end result is just a great stout. I was genuinely stunned at how good it was. That boy is getting better and better with every brew he makes! I just wish Galway Bay had found him sooner!

Think the Black Sheep announced that they would have it next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Had my dungarvan coffee stout last night. Was my first go of the style, found it v smokey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hogzy wrote: »
    Its not in Aldi is it?

I dunno, I havent been in in a while. I think it's about 2 quid in Molloys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

They have a craft lager on tap down at the Christmas markets in the ifsc. It's called Drapers brew. Apparently contract brewed for them in Scotland to their recipe.
    It's actually not a bad lager at all (as lagers generally go) , light with a moderate hoppiness. I'd put it ahead of a lot of blonde ales I've had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Wet hop ale 2012 not as hoppy as last years I thought.

Still a great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

Sky & the Ground bar in Wexford are selling craft beers now. Had 2 large bottles of White Gypsy Yule Ol (for the season that's in it) which were delicious. Also had a Clotworthy Dobbin (not as good), a bottle of Pietra Colomba white beer which was very tasty and a can of Punk IPA which was absolutely fantastic. They've got Chimay Triple on draught, Bitter & Twisted too. Definitely going back for another visit soon... Have 24 bottles of Tiger to get me through to the weekend first...

carmanard wrote: »
    Sky & the Ground bar in Wexford are selling craft beers now. Had 2 large bottles of White Gypsy Yule Ol (for the season that's in it) which were delicious. Also had a Clotworthy Dobbin (not as good), a bottle of Pietra Colomba white beer which was very tasty and a can of Punk IPA which was absolutely fantastic. They've got Chimay Triple on draught, Bitter & Twisted too. Definitely going back for another visit soon... Have 24 bottles of Tiger to get me through to the weekend first...

They've been selling Metalman for quite a while - good to see them take on more!

Anyone know if Drinkstore is open today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Heroditas wrote: »

Also, a friend told me yesterday that Carvill's on Camden Street are selling Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne! :eek:

Correction. Were selling it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

carmanard wrote: »

Did you have the Bitter & Twisted on tap? Love the bottles but never had it on tap.

Hopefully be in there at some stage over Xmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Had a Hobgoblin and a Carraig Dubh on cask in the Black Sheep last night, both fantastic beers.

Also had a sneaky TNP, I like it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Grayditch wrote: »
    Anyone know if Drinkstore is open today?
    Yeah I was in yesterday picking up my Chrimbo order and they said today is normally their busiest day. Open til 9:30 apparently, but I probably wouldn't leave it quite that late! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Goose Island 2012 Christmas Ale

St. Bernardus 6 x 33cl Brick (bought on a whim)

Rouge Brutal IPA

Hobgoblin gift set (includes one glass i'm a sucker for glasses this is the best time for them).

Brew Dog - Hoppy Christmas

Williams Bros. Heather ale (it has a Gaelic name but the bottle is in the fridge so can't see it ;))

Too many others to mention, I went a bit mad.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah I was in yesterday picking up my Chrimbo order and they said today is normally their busiest day. Open til 9:30 apparently, but I probably wouldn't leave it quite that late! ;)

I got in in and got my Anchor porter and delighted to grab a couple of Twelve Days.

• Advertisement

For tomorrow I have snagged:

2 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    2 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    1 Goose Island IPA
    1 Thornbridge Kippling
    1 Anchor Porter
    1 Westvleteren 12 (This is for with the dinner :D)

I think, when topped up with a few glasses of red and a sneaky whiskey, I should just about make it through the day!

For tomorrow I have snagged:

2 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    2 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    1 Goose Island IPA
    1 Thornbridge Kippling
    1 Anchor Porter
    1 Westvleteren 12 (This is for with the dinner :D)
    Tbh, it doesn't get much more solid than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Enjoying a White Gypsy American Pale Ale, it's top notch.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I'd 2 Leann Follain today

Actually got a few Tyskie too but they're still in the fridge. Tyskie is an old friend of mine before I got into craft beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thornbridge Chiron and Goose Island Christmas ale.

Chiron is a typical Thornbridge with plenty of citrusy aftertaste.

Christmas ale was a strong beer but nothing special.

2q9f4uu.jpg

Missing a few favourites, but I can't really complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Great Divide oak-aged Yeti Imperial Stout. Not bad, but not my favourite of the style. I think I enjoyed the original better.

First Frontier IPA, very good American style IPA from Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I got a mix from bradleys in cork for christmas, 14 different beers in a hamper, excellent present! I also have a porterhouse brainblasta and an innis and gunn whiskey cask for christmas dinner!

Choices choices

545473_10151203301718873_1797821564_n.jpg

I reckon, of that lot, the little bottle beside the can of Punk would be my first choice!
    Love Old Engine Oil!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I reckon, of that lot, the little bottle beside the can of Punk would be my first choice!
    Love Old Engine Oil!
    Not to mention the cathedral quarter and the saltaire cascade, the Leann Follain would go down well with me too, it's a lovely selection.

Today I had the Chatoe Rogue Pumpkin Patch with my Xmas dinner, a slightly understated but pleasant beer, light on the spices and a perfect accompaniment to my feast, otherwise I've been on cans of big rock traditional ale, a fine example of a decent quality mainly malt driven red ale, would be good for someone who's new to trying new beers, going to finish off with a Flying Monkey Cascadian Brown or 2 and maybe a whiskey before hitting the sheets :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

For my few on Christmas day I had..
    o haras pale ale, anchor humming ale, anchor liberty ale, anchor christmas 2012, brew dog hoppy christmas... And a few morgans to follow!!

Serious choice tomorrow.. brooklyn black ops, white gypsey Russian imperial stout, anchor christmas, goose island Christmas, sierra Nevada celebration/ porter/ pale ale, odells pale ale/ porter and I think a whitewater sanity clause..

First up yesterday was a Cantillion Rose de Gambrinus as an aperitif - very nice - very sour.

Reisling with starter.
    Amarone de Valpolcella with main.
    Sloe Gin with desert and cheese.

Then back to the beer:
    De Ranke XX Bitter.
    Mikeller Texas Ranger
    Nogne O #500

Then found myself home rather early with Mrs Beer in bed feeling poorly so a bottle of Brooklyn Sorachi Ace kept me company:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Tackled into my stash yesterday:

Brooklyn BCS with xmas pudding (worked well, but for me a good sticky white is unbeatable with pudding)
    Anchor Old Foghorn with the cheese (a great combo, especially with strong blue cheeses, stilton etc)
    Great Divide Yeti for a nightcap

With those gone, I'm left with the not-insignificant task of getting through Odells Myrcenary & IPA, SN Celebration & Bigfoot 2011, Flying Dog Wild Dog Gonzo, De Molen Rasputin, Left Hand Blackjack porter, and a bomber of Great Divide Belgian Yeti....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Heineken Episodes box set today,

not bad, but not great. they're 5% and taste better than regular Heineken bottles but since these are aluminium I'm not that impressed.

Yesterday I started off with a Rogue Imperial IPA with dinner, them moved onto a Left Hand SmokeJumper, followed that with a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and finished off the night with a couple of Leann Follain

I quite liked the SmokeJumper, hard to describe exactly but does have a very smoky taste and I'd definitely try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Had a good selection over the last couple of days.

Mainly stout, Leann Foileann went down very well, also had the Dungarvan oatmeal stout. Currently tucking in to Fullers Black Cab stout, which is lovely. I'm about to open my Punk IPA bottle now. Still have some stock left, really looking forward to my Golden Pride.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Currently tucking in to Fullers Black Cab stout, which is lovely.

Yeah, it's a great stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

matrim wrote: »
    Yesterday I started off with a Rogue Imperial IPA with dinner, them moved onto a Left Hand SmokeJumper, followed that with a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and finished off the night with a couple of Leann Follain

I quite liked the SmokeJumper, hard to describe exactly but does have a very smoky taste and I'd definitely try it again.

where did you pick up the imperial/smoke?

• Advertisement

ronano wrote: »

where did you pick up the imperial/smoke?
    Drinkstore (as usual) have them. ;(

Yeah, it's a great stout.

I found it was missing any kick. I might try it again at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

BrewDog Christmas Paradox. It's amazing. Great rum taste. The alcohol taste is strong but not overpowering. Wish I had more than one bottle though.

Has the recipe for Durgarvan's Black Rock Stout changed? I got a bottle of it from Drinkstore by mistake (instead of the Coffee & Oatmeal Stout) and it tastes just like the Oatmeal Stout. Strange. I never really liked the Black Rock, bit too dry for my liking, but this bottle tastes amazing. Real creamy and smooth and sweeter than I remember. Wrong label perhaps?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Stocking fillers (quite literally) from the girlfriend which I enjoyed last night, can't say she doesn't pay attention :)

2012-12-26220400_zpsad6e0eb0.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Thornbridge RIS to be opened shortly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tucking into a St Bernardus Christmas Ale at the moment.
    Wouldn't normally go for something like this but it's reasonably enjoyable.

Has the recipe for Durgarvan's Black Rock Stout changed? I got a bottle of it from Drinkstore by mistake (instead of the Coffee & Oatmeal Stout) and it tastes just like the Oatmeal Stout. Strange. I never really liked the Black Rock, bit too dry for my liking, but this bottle tastes amazing. Real creamy and smooth and sweeter than I remember. Wrong label perhaps?

Funny you should say, I noticed a difference tonight. Definitely more coffee in there and much less dry. Not quite the same as the Coffee And Oatmeal, though. Some sort of hybrid, maybe? I have to say it's just so good. I liked it before but the one I had tonight was stunning.

Grayditch wrote: »

Funny you should say, I noticed a difference tonight. Definitely more coffee in there and much less dry. Not quite the same as the Coffee And Oatmeal, though. Some sort of hybrid, maybe? I have to say it's just so good. I liked it before but the one I had tonight was stunning.
    After drinking it I'm convinced it was a wrong label. It was almost exactly like the Oatmeal. Not complaining though, it was lovely. Nice surprise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

After drinking it I'm convinced it was a wrong label. It was almost exactly like the Oatmeal. Not complaining though, it was lovely. Nice surprise. :)

Was there a load of sediment in the bottom of the glass when you'd finished?

Maybe I got the same, ha. Must try both back to back this week. I know an off licence that still has some older label bottles, too. It'll be a nice experiment that involves drinking my favourite stouts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement