Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heroditas wrote: »

Was there a load of sediment in the bottom of the glass when you'd finished?
    Not that I remember. I know their 3 stock beers are bottle conditioned and always have a good bit of sediment, so maybe you're onto something there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've been drinking a lot of the Galway Bay Milk Chocolate Stout from the cask in the salthouse, they went through 2 casks in 3 days, stuff is flying out the taps, was off wednesday as it was upstairs settling meant to be tapped lastnight, going in tonight in the hopes it's back in, the stuff is fecking magic. If they get it in the other pubs, grab it while you can lads, it's bloody lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Off to The Black Sheep later

Any idea what they currently have on cask?

You'd be best off just asking the lads themselves. I've no idea...

If you have twitter maybe tweet the brewer @GalwayBayChris and ask him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Was there last week and they had Carraig Dubh a stout from Dingle Brewing (I think), it was absolutely fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Anybody try the Yule ól from White Gypsy?

I bought 2 bottles but ended up drinking them late on when quite drunk the other night. From what I can remember though reminded me of a German Dunkel? Will have to get another couple of bottles to remember.

Have a couple of bottles of Howling Gale Winter Ale. Quite strong flavor and full of mulled aroma. Nice.

See Tesco still selling the Sierra Nevada at €1.50

symbolic wrote: »

Was there last week and they had a stout from Dingle Brewing (I think), it was absolutely fantastic!

Carraig Dubh by any chance?

I hastily ordered a London Pride, will try that next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just finished off the last of my Hilden twisted hop, really like this beer, nice bitter aftertaste - must get some more.

Carraig Dubh by any chance?

That's the stuff. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Just giving a shout for Odells Myrcenary DIPA.

Lovely nose, plenty of tropical fruits but also a hint of something that reminds me of an imperial stout, maybe caramel? Mouthfeel is smooth and relatively full for a DIPA, little carbonation. One of the nicest DIPAs I've tasted, assertively hoppy but not an indiscriminate hop-bomb. Drinks as easy as something half its strength, which is testament to its balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Pint of Purgatory in the Franciscan Well. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I see Trouble Brewing are on their "difficult third album".
    For our last brew of 2012 we have brewed a new beer, it will be our third beer that will be available all year round.

Sabotage, an Indian Pale Ale will come in at 5.5%, it's brewed using 5 different hops and plenty of them. First batch should be in selected pubs around the end of January.

Looking forward to that.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I see Trouble Brewing are on their "difficult third album".

Looking forward to that.
    Great name. But to put my pedantic hat on for a sec, I think this will be their fourth beer. They do a Punmkin Ale around Halloween. ;(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Great name. But to put my pedantic hat on for a sec, I think this will be their fourth beer. They do a Punmkin Ale around Halloween. ;(

Even more pedantic, they have done a spelt saison and a galaxy pale ale before. :p

irish_goat wrote: »

Even more pedantic, they have done a spelt saison and a galaxy pale ale before. :p
    Ha. I knew there were more (and knew I'd be corrected) but I couldn't think of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Third year round beer.

symbolic wrote: »

Was there last week and they had Carraig Dubh a stout from Dingle Brewing (I think), it was absolutely fantastic!

They'd none left when I ordered it unfortunately. It was 7 quid so I was only going to have one to try

Stuck to the London Pride, seeing as its only 4.1% it was probably a wise move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Just finished an Adnams Sole Star, I mainly picked this up out of curiosity when I saw it was only 2.7% abv. It was very 'so-so' to my tastes.
    Others over Christmas:
    2011 Anchor Christmas Ale, pretty good, had all the Christmassy-ness expected. Shame I didn't have a 2012 to compare.
    Brewdog Hoppy Christmas - Amazing.
    Flying Dog Gonzo - A great stout.
    A lot more to go as I was surprised with a box of Belgians under the tree (beer, not people). Best Christmas ever!

They'd none left when I ordered it unfortunately. It was 7 quid so I was only going to have one to try

Stuck to the London Pride, seeing as its only 4.1% it was probably a wise move!

I thought 7euro was a bit steep at the time alright, and strange that it was 4.2per cent. Often per cent = euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Creans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

tonight i have had a 400 pound monkey followed by a can of Hob and now enjoying a bottle of Dead Guy by Rogues. bottle of bah hambug by Wychwood to follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Spotted a few bottles of Brewdog Punk IPA in a bar I was in last night, streets ahead of any of the Canadian IPA's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Currently drinking a De Ranke Hop Harvest 2012. Going down dry well with my curry. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Stranger - Left Hand Brewing Company a typical American IPA. Maybe a little too light in flavour but not my favourite IPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I have tried a fair few beers over the christmas due to receiving them as gifts,
    my brother who is in oz bought me australian and new zealand beers from molloys (i think) one was mac`s sassy red from NZ, lovely beer, although i dont see it online now, james boags is also lovely probably fairly normal compared to some stuff listed on here though!r

then coopers, it seems weird drinking it as it has a lot of bits floating around in it, its apparently fine to drink but it looks odd!

• Advertisement

The Milk Chocolate Stout was casked again today in The Salt House, I don't expect it to last very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I tried a Rogue Mocha Porter tonight and was thorougly disappointed. I like their Shakespeare stout but this was bland, uninspired and distinctly sour. Given that I paid €3.50 or so for a 330ml in Deveney's, I really think that there are much better beers out there both in terms of taste and in terms of price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Rogue seem to to me to be more about the packaging and marketing than the actual substance really.

They have some decent beers, but the majority disappoint, and it seems to be by accident when one turns out to be decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Stranger - Left Hand Brewing Company a typical American IPA. Maybe a little too light in flavour but not my favourite IPA.
    I found that one pretty underwhelming too!

Rogue seem to to me to be more about the packaging and marketing than the actual substance really.

They have some decent beers, but the majority disappoint, and it seems to be by accident when one turns out to be decent.
    I agree with your view on rogue.
    Their Brutal IPA is very good, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Been drinking Tripel Karmeliet over Xmas and its delicious. Like a sweeter and smoother Duvel.

Had a Thornbridge Imperial Stout earlier and now trying a Rogue Brutal IPA.
    I'll be honest, the Rogue isn't a patch on a lot of other American IPAs. It's not bad but certainly not spectacular.

Had a Thornbridge Imperial Stout earlier.....
    Just opened a bottle now. It tastes amazing.

Had a Rauchbier earlier. Hmmm, tastes like smoked meat to me, or at least that's what it reminded me of. Bit off putting, but nice all the same.

Just opened a bottle now. It tastes amazing.

Had a Rauchbier earlier. Hmmm, tastes like smoked meat to me, or at least that's what it reminded me of. Bit off putting, but nice all the same.

I think I prefer Nogne's imperial but the Thornbridge one is pretty damn fine.
    I'm going to have to give the Rauchbier another shot. Agree regarding the "meaty" thing. I think it's the sort of beer that Heston Blumenthal would serve in his restaurant, i.e. it's very unusual and "out there" and would seem right at home with some of the foods he serves in the Fat Duck.
    Definitely one that challenges the taste buds.
    My problem might be that I don't like beers that have strong flavours added to them, e.g. Chocolate, smoked flavour (seemingly) and particularly whiskey - not a fan of the likes of Innis and Gunn or those new beers aged in Kentucky barrels.
    Bleugh....

Innis & Gunn Winter Treacle Porter Oak Aged Beer just way too sweet for me.
    Hardly any head when poured then I could smell the sweetness before tasting it. Very sticky feeling and didn't feel like a porter at all but more of a sweet ale.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Innis & Gunn Winter Treacle Porter Oak Aged Beer just way too sweet for me.
    Hardly any head when poured then I could smell the sweetness before tasting it. Very sticky feeling and didn't feel like a porter at all but more of a sweet ale.
    I've come to the conclusion that I&G beers are complete sh1te - took me a while, I was trucking with the rum cask one for a while but that tastes way too sweet for me now. Again, the clear bottle rule of thumb comes into play here.

Thornbridge Wild Swan. It's nice enough but it's probably one of the weakest I've had from them. At 3.5% I know it's aimed at the session beer range, but its very thin and watery. I'd rather have a Jarl from Fyne Ales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You're doing very well if you can afford Thornbridge as session beers

You're doing very well if you can afford Thornbridge as session beers
    Ha true. Just got one to try over the Christmas. Just as well its not that great so!

I have a Nogne 100 for later on this evening.
    Here's hoping I can actually get to drink the whole bottle without all of it foaming over as soon as I open it! :mad:

• Advertisement

I have a Nogne 100 for later on this evening.
    Here's hoping I can actually get to drink the whole bottle without all of it foaming over as soon as I open it! :mad:

Chill it a bit.

Chill it a bit.

That's the thing.... I've always had it chilled in the fridge.
    Maybe it's because it was on its side the previous times.
    I have it upright this time. :cool:

That's the thing.... I've always had it chilled in the fridge.
    Maybe it's because it was on its side the previous times.
    I have it upright this time. :cool:
    I was just about to ask if it was stored on its side in the fridge.....At least ya know now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So I have 2 beers left from my Christmas stash that I've saved for tonight. Fullers London Porter and Fullers Golden Pride. Looking forward to the Pride especially.

Porterhouse Hophead followed by SN Northern Hemisphere which will them be followed by Thornbridge Kipling.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭hawkhead

A bottle of 5am saint washed down with a SN Torpedo.

For desert I have a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops for the night that's in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

O'Hara's red ale at 4.3%. Haven't drank it in a while but it really tastes delicious to be enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Got a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bihfoot 2012 tonight.

Have it open an hour and a bit & still sipping it. It's 9.5%, which I didn't know before buying it.

Beautiful taste but couldn't see myself drinking more than one of an evening.

I was just about to ask if it was stored on its side in the fridge.....At least ya know now

Success!!!!! Yesssssss!!!!!

• Advertisement

Off the booze for a month, maybe two so no beer for a while!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement