Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Svyturys Ekstra Lithuanian 5.2% lager is my Thursday night experimentation beer of the week.
    Not my cup of tea,don't think lagers are good at high strength levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

symbolic wrote: »
    Had the O'Hara's Leann Follain on draught in Against The Grain Dublin yesterday. Think its gonna be my "go to pint" in there!

I love it, but by Jaysus does it fill me up. It's like a meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

have a bit of a dose so trying to kill the germs with some beer.
    Current medicine of choice is an Augustiner Maximator - a 7.5% doppelbock.
    As it should be, its a really dark ruby colour (strangely not as brown as i would have anticipated) with a not too overpowering malty smell off it.
    Tastewise its probably how you would design a doppelbock if you were starting from scratch, a decent kick of maltyness yet balanced and not too sweet or fruity. If you ever tried Paulaner Salvator which is considered a reference of the beer type, you might have strugled with the sweetness - with Augustiner theres no such problem and no crazy sickenly aftertaste. Its only a pity its only available in half litre bottles as smaller bottles would be no harm to be honest.

Earlier I had a Rothaus Tanenzäpfle (i.e. fancy 330ml bottle) Pils from the black forest which is the same as the Rothaus Pils in bog standard 500ml bottles that you can get in Ireland in places like Fresh.
    Its a similar paralell experience to the Augustiner, abeit with pils and bitter not sweet.
    Its all about the aftertaste, and the initial taste of bitterness (or with Augi the sweetness) isnt too overpowering and the aftertaste is strangely pleasant and downright wierd and unexpectedly agreeable compared to other beers of the pils variety that linger on your tounge and are to my palette at least just too shaggin sharply bitter.
    The bottle (with 6 months left to expiry) I have now hadnt the complexity I remember from tasting a very fresh bottle bought near the black forest last year but it was still a damn nice beer.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/464/1354

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

have a bit of a dose so trying to kill the germs with some beer.
    Current medicine of choice is an Augustiner Maximator - a 7.5% doppelbock.
    As it should be, its a really dark ruby colour (strangely not as brown as i would have anticipated) with a not too overpowering malty smell off it.
    Tastewise its probably how you would design a doppelbock if you were starting from scratch, a decent kick of maltyness yet balanced and not too sweet or fruity. If you ever tried Paulaner Salvator which is considered a reference of the beer type, you might have strugled with the sweetness - with Augustiner theres no such problem and no crazy sickenly aftertaste. Its only a pity its only available in half litre bottles as smaller bottles would be no harm to be honest.

Earlier I had a Rothaus Tanenzäpfle (i.e. fancy 330ml bottle) Pils from the black forest which is the same as the Rothaus Pils in bog standard 500ml bottles that you can get in Ireland in places like Fresh.
    Its a similar paralell experience to the Augustiner, abeit with pils and bitter not sweet.
    Its all about the aftertaste, and the initial taste of bitterness (or with Augi the sweetness) isnt too overpowering and the aftertaste is strangely pleasant and downright wierd and unexpectedly agreeable compared to other beers of the pils variety that linger on your tounge and are to my palette at least just too shaggin sharply bitter.
    The bottle (with 6 months left to expiry) I have now hadnt the complexity I remember from tasting a very fresh bottle bought near the black forest last year but it was still a damn nice beer.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/464/1354

Augustiner is a seriously good brewery, one major reason why I'm looking forward to spending next year in Germany. The Helles is in my top 5 beers ever, it's just perfect.

Picked up a few more Spaten Oktoberfest's there in Bradley's, lovely stuff altogether. Gonna round it off with a bottle of homebrewed ale, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

symbolic wrote: »
    Had the O'Hara's Leann Follain on draught in Against The Grain Dublin yesterday. Think its gonna be my "go to pint" in there!
    Grayditch wrote: »
    I love it, but by Jaysus does it fill me up. It's like a meal.

Is ATG the only pub with it - or is it also on in Brew Dock/Black Sheep?

ATG is too far Southside for me to consider for a quick pint, but the LF on cask recently in The Brew Dock was amazing.

I'd love to try it on tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

i had 2 bottles of O'Hara's Leann Follain last night, very tasty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Is ATG the only pub with it - or is it also on in Brew Dock/Black Sheep?

ATG is too far Southside for me to consider for a quick pint, but the LF on cask recently in The Brew Dock was amazing.

I'd love to try it on tap.

ATG is the only pub in the world with LF on draught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Is LF on tap still 6%?

It's probably my favourite stout, hopefully ATG keep it

Is LF on tap still 6%?

It's probably my favourite stout, hopefully ATG keep it

As far as I know it is.

From talking to Tar the other day about it he's got it in for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I had a TSB on cask in the Porterhouse yesterday evening. It was nice and bitter but lacked any kind of depth after the initial hit on the tongue.

I also had a pint of Purity Pure Gold Pale Ale on cask. I'd liken the flavour to undiluted Rose's Lime Cordial. I can't say that I was impressed. Has anyone else tried it? Is this normal. My pint was the last from the cask and was notably more citrus-y than my friend's pint, which came out earlier. Neither of them was particularly good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Last night's night cap was a can of Ghost Ship pale ale. Lovely beer, plenty of citra hop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a 2009 Coopers Vintage Ale last night.
    It has mellowed somewhat in the bottle and was very nice but I am struggling with very malty beers these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I was growing very envious of you guys talking about Carraig Dubh. Just opened a bottle while cooking the dinner and I'm in love.
    Room temp I am drinking it at and get a hint of chocolate and a lovely roast malt taste and a nice hop after taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I'm just back from tesco with more asahi from the now 5 for €11 deal, also got a 6 pack of 8 degrees sunburnt Irish red for €6!
    They also had knockmealdown porter 6 packs at the same price, the label has €10.99 crossed out then save €1.50 but they are actually €6, I'm thinking tesco made a mistake and if they did don't tell them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Enjoying a wonderful Dungarven Coffee and Oatmeal stout. The 2011 version. Shame I don't have a 2012 to compare, but I'm enjoying it none the less.

in The Salt House having a beer and noiticed they (Galway bay brewery) have rebranded their beers. the Full Sail is a full fledged IPA now and ubber hoppy.

I was very disappointed in the Carraig Dubh porter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Seaneh wrote: »
    in The Salt House having a beer and noiticed they (Galway bay brewery) have rebranded their beers. the Full Sail is a full fledged IPA now and ubber hoppy.
    who was wondering if breweries in Ireland werent falling overthemselves to make over hoppy beers ?

Just after having an Graf Arco Birnbacher Schwartzbier (or Arcobraü black beer as I'd call it)
    Interesting enough old style dark beer that I got as part of a mixed crate of 4each of 5 types of Arco Beers nefore christmas. Not overly complex but still pretty drinkable.

That was followed up by a HackerPschorr Superior 6% (festbeer)
    I suspect this is what they actually shift at the Oktoberfest and not the really dark brew that is sold in the shops around the time that is far darker and maltier than you'd imagine for an Oktoberfest beer.
    Anyhow, it's your standard Munich Helles Lager stylewise abeit stronger and slightly more hoppy than normal. Another lovely beer from Hacker-Pschorr who have probably the best range of quality beers in Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Two very interesting NZ beers last night: Renaissance Stonecutter Scottish ale 8 Wired "the big smoke" smoked porter

The former, when warmed up was a full on malty masterpiece

The latter claimed to have lots of Rauchmalt but wasn't very prevalent for me. Still a nice beer. Their Tall Poppy amber ale & Hopville are sublime though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

had a mikkeller monk's brew last night.

10% aged in bourbon barrels, didn't really capture my taste buds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Two very interesting NZ beers last night: Renaissance Stonecutter

Where did you get this? Their chocolate oatmeal stout is lovely

matrim wrote: »
    Where did you get this? Their chocolate oatmeal stout is lovely

Redmonds in Ranelagh have a fairly large range of Renaissance, 8 Wired, Epic (hop monster lives up to its name!) & Tuatara.

Not exactly cheap, but if you're feeling like a treat....

Redmonds in Ranelagh have a fairly large range of Renaissance, 8 Wired, Epic (hop monster lives up to its name!) & Tuatara.

Not exactly cheap, but if you're feeling like a treat....

I've been asking in every offie in dublin for nearly a year. Someone must have finally been able to source them :)

Looks like I'm off to redminds this afternoon. So much for no beer January

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Someone must have finally been able to source them :)
    Redmond's are importing directly, I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Just opened a dr. Rudi single hop Belgian style ale. From brown paper bag project.
    Seriously good. I am impressed and will be buying more.
    Had a Brekle's brown ale made by anchor brewing co. yesterday, thought that was great too.
    Both beers were recommended to me by Lilac wines in Fairview. Great place

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Redmond's are importing directly, I'm told.

I think the lads behind Cladagh Minerals (forget the company name) are the importers for most of the kiwi stuff.

Went in to redmonds earlier. They didn't have the Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and didn't know about it but looking at the brewery site it's seasonal and they won't have it back until their winter in June. Still picked up the Stonecutter sctoch ale and the Elemental Porter as well as a couple of the Epic beers, Hop Zombie and Armageddon IPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭dzilla

Had a nice shot of stuff over the weekend, had draught blue moon on Friday which was nicer and smoother I thought than out of the bottle. Belfast lager last night, nice stuff now, good flavour. And I had majic hat aswell, not as good as i remember it was when I was living in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

still nothing can beat a bottle of innis & gunn highland cask.i'm not particularly fond of any other innis & gunn type but the highland cask is unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Had a bottle of 8° on sat night ( i think it was sunburnt red?) very tasty.
    Also had a pint of O Hara's blonde which was super.

Was down in Kilkenny, and have to say every bar i went in to had a decent selection of 'craft' beers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

theparish wrote: »
    Svyturys Ekstra Lithuanian 5.2% lager is my Thursday night experimentation beer of the week.
    Not my cup of tea,don't think lagers are good at high strength levels.

I find svyturys very sweet or syrupy. Not for me.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I find svyturys very sweet or syrupy. Not for me.

I agree. I feel like I'm drinking a gloopy beer, at times.

Was down in Harry Byrne's last night - they are now stocking both Trouble Brewing's Ór and Dark Arts - pleasant surprise.

I really like that pub, and from chatting to the barman, he reckons the person in charge of getting in the drinks is amenable to suggestions.

Went in to redmonds earlier. They didn't have the Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and didn't know about it but looking at the brewery site it's seasonal and they won't have it back until their winter in June. Still picked up the Stonecutter sctoch ale and the Elemental Porter as well as a couple of the Epic beers, Hop Zombie and Armageddon IPA.

Be interested to see what you make of them

Armageddon IPA- i like the sound of that. I may have to take a trip to Redmond's to investigate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Carraig Dubh Cul Dorcha - another nice beer from West Kerry.

Pours a lovely dark red and I got a slight smokey taste followed by a hint of sweetness. Wasn't too carbonated either so went down nice and easy.

Be interested to see what you make of them

Armageddon IPA- i like the sound of that. I may have to take a trip to Redmond's to investigate!

The Armageddon is nice enough, not as hoppy as they make it out to be, but not shy either. For something that is 6.6% it's fierce easy to drink.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

The Armageddon is nice enough, not as hoppy as they make it out to be, but not shy either. For something that is 6.6% it's fierce easy to drink.
    Yeah this is how I felt too. Well worth trying at least once. I think my favourite was Hop Zombie when I tried them.

Had a bottle of Rogue's Yellow Snow IPA, was disappointing. Am not a fan of Rogue's beers, but had this on tap before so thought I'd give it a shot. I'd like to try their Brutal IPA on tap since people here have said its quite tasty, but cant accept paying the extra few euros on their beers.

Has anybody noticed quite a few Brewdog beers floating around that are gone off in March ? Am going to have to pay closer attention to Best Before dates as it really effected some Hardcore's I got.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Carraig Dubh Cul Dorcha - another nice beer from West Kerry.

Pours a lovely dark red and I got a slight smokey taste followed by a hint of sweetness. Wasn't too carbonated either so went down nice and easy.

Need to get another bottle of this, the only time I've had it was straight after a bottle of their Stout, and the stout is big and robust and the flavour was still there when I started drinking the ale, it got kind of drowned out.

Pity, as all reports are saying it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dubchef

I tried a beer called Heineken, have you ever heard of it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Dubchef wrote: »

You sure about that?

• Advertisement

Dubchef wrote: »

Yes, what a ridiculous question

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Yes, what a ridiculous question

:rolleyes:

Why don't you just drink noooormal things like noooormal people?!

Tonight I'd a bottle of Anchor Porter and now washing it down with a bottle or two of Belfast Black (€2 each in Tesco) while watching Braveheart on film 4.

Not a bad way to kill a cold January evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seaneh wrote: »
    Tonight I'd a bottle of Anchor Porter and now washing it down with a bottle or two of Belfast Black (€2 each in Tesco) while watching Braveheart on film 4.

Not a bad way to kill a cold January evening.
    I initially read that as "Braveheart 4" and I was like Whoooaahh!! Why haven't I heard about 2 & 3?!! :)

:rolleyes:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Seizure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Some lovely pints of Sam Smiths. The lager and stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I finally got around to trying an Odell that wasn't their IPA, namely the St Lupulin.

I really liked it, different to the IPA but I liked it for similar reasons. I think the Americans make the best IPA's!!

Review here: http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/odell-st-lupulin-extra-pale-ale/

odell-st-lupulin-extra-pale-ale.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭David Della Rocco

Petrus Speciale

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement