Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Has anyone ever tried Pietra? It's a Corican beer they were raving about on Newstalk today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

In Germany and just realised that the massive shop I walked past twice a day for the last 6 months is actually a massive office licence!
    Don't know how I never copped that TrinkGut sold beer is beyond me :o

Anyway, they have a far bigger selection of beer than the local supermarket so I'll have fun checking out the various beers over the next few weeks.
    Picked up a couple of bottles of an beer called Hövels. Its an Altbeir from Dortmund, slightly lighter in colour and less bitter then the usual Düsseldorf altbeir. Not overly malty. Definitely going to try it again.
    http://wa.worldclassbeer.com/beerspy/product/hovels-original/10527/

Also picked up a bottle of Franziskaner special weissbeir. Royal.
    Slightly stronger than the normal Weissbeir at 6%. Also darker than a normal but not as dark as a dunkel.
    Not overly fond of weissbeers but I like this one. Not as strong tasting as normal weiss's, bit more of a subtle flavour.

http://www.franziskaner-weissbier.de/franziskaner-weissbiere/royal

I'm just glad I was curious enough to have wandered into this stange looking shop on the way home from work today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

I'm a fan of Barbar, Leffe, Kwak, Karmaliet etc.

Heading to the offie and looking for something new yet similar (kinda sweet). Any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dr Rudi Paperbag project in LMulligans tonight. Reminded me of my stints in Belgium.

This is a perfect Belgian ale quite strong and immediately reminded me of Belgian style beer.

Starts of sweet then hint of hops and slight bitter aftertaste. If it wasn't so strong I would have had more.
    Heard a guy behind say he wanted a pint of it. Pint would be too much in my opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Has anyone ever tried Pietra? It's a Corican beer they were raving about on Newstalk today.
    One of "they" being the chap who imports it, of course ;)I didn't think it was up to much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Dr Rudi Paperbag

Heard a guy behind say he wanted a pint of it. Pint would be too much in my opinion.

I don't even think they sell pints do they? They don't in WJK.

Last night in WJK I'd a bottle of Dark Arts, pint of Knockmealdown, pint of Spire Cracked Black Pepper Stout on cask - loved that one - couple of bottles of Williams' 80 Shilling, gorgeous gorgeous malty as you want beer, definitely getting more of this, and a Bateman's Victory Ale.

I also had their Burns Night Haggis Dinner, the sauce on that was absolutely delicious - smoked whisky gravy. Want more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dropped into The Dark Horse in Blackrock last night and enjoyed a Metalman Pale Ale, a Sierra Nevada, and an SN Celebration. Nice bar. Will certainly go back. And they have a pool table? Is that a first for a craft beer pub?!

Volpina - Amarcord A nice red ale in an English style type of ale from Italy.

It's really nice and malty and a hint of spice at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

An ok beer, i.e. very drinkable but not very complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Aha Shake wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Barbar, Leffe, Kwak, Karmaliet etc.

Heading to the offie and looking for something new yet similar (kinda sweet). Any tips?
    Ok, a wee bit late but anyhow.

Just after finishing a trappistes rochefort -8.
    You could say its like leffe but in the same way that Damien duff is like Messi.
    There is so much going on (flavour/ aroma) wise that you know it's a work of genious but you can't just nail what's going on. Its like leffe style wise but just another level (or 2) of complexity.
    It's definitely relatively sweet in the bigger scheme of things so well worth trying out if the race to undrinkable bitterness by other breweries isn't your thing.

Drinkstore.ie has it but I couldn't say which offies keep it in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

BeerNut wrote: »
    One of "they" being the chap who imports it, of course ;)I didn't think it was up to much.

Ah, ok. I only tuned him late so I must have missed him declaring his conflict of interest!

Thanks for the review. That saves me searching it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

was in the salt house in galway there over the weekend. delicious.

stayed for a few:

Milk chocolate stout on tap - needed fresh underwear after that, i messed myself, it went down surprisingly easy (only lasted 5 minutes).
    Epic pale ale - quite nice, pricey though.
    Liberty ale - not bad but definitely nicer from anchor brewing.

missus had (trying to get her on to beer from west coast :eek:):
    Fischers helles.
    Krombacher pils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Headed into the Franciscan Well for a bit last night before going to see Django Unchained and had two pints of the cask version of Shandon Stout. Won't usually be the biggest fan of cask beer, but this was delicious. I only really planned on having one pint, but had to have another before setting off for the film since it would probably be another while before I got a chance to taste it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Just tried a Vratislav there for the laugh, seeing as it's cheap-definitely gonna be my go-to cheap beer from now on, it's not bad at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

was in the salt house in galway there over the weekend. delicious.

stayed for a few:

Milk chocolate stout on tap - needed fresh underwear after that, i messed myself, it went down surprisingly easy (only lasted 5 minutes).
    Epic pale ale - quite nice, pricey though.
    Liberty ale - not bad but definitely nicer from anchor brewing.

missus had (trying to get her on to beer from west coast :eek:):
    Fischers helles.
    Krombacher pils.

That would be the Left Hand Milk Stout on tap, it's good stuff, had a glass myself on Sunday night.

They also have Thronbridge Raven on at the minute too, which I also had as well as a pint of Porter House Plain and a Full Sail IPA. All well enjoyed :D

Seaneh wrote: »
    That would be the Left Hand Milk Stout on tap
    Sounds more like Buried At Sea. There's no chocolate in Left Hand Milk Stout, AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

apologies, I typed 'chocolate' because the board in the salt house mentioned chocolate.

it was of course left hand's milk stout, it had the cow with the handprint of a left hand over the tap :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sounds more like Buried At Sea. There's no chocolate in Left Hand Milk Stout, AFAIK.

Burried at Sea isn't on the taps in Salt House yet, they have to shift the last of the Brown Ale first.

Should be on by the weekend though.

I was thinking CG just got the name wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Have had Dr. Rudi's single hop belgian style ale from the Brown Paper Bag Project this week. Am not a big fan of belgian ales, but it was quite nice, and definitely up there with some I've tried from other good breweries. Does anybody know what their next beer will be ? I love the idea behind it !

The bottle label is very stylish too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Have had Dr. Rudi's single hop belgian style ale from the Brown Paper Bag Project this week. Am not a big fan of belgian ales, but it was quite nice, and definitely up there with some I've tried from other good breweries. Does anybody know what their next beer will be ? I love the idea behind it !

I've asked but they're keeping tight lipped. They're brewing it very soon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

tried some xingu 'black beer' last night,Brazilian stuff. on special in tesco a six pack for six euros,not bad at all considering the price. its 4.7% abv but if you blind tested it you might think it was a lot stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Dropped into The Dark Horse in Blackrock last night and enjoyed a Metalman Pale Ale, a Sierra Nevada, and an SN Celebration. Nice bar. Will certainly go back. And they have a pool table? Is that a first for a craft beer pub?!

Its only just been taken over by new management. In the space of the last couple of years even under the old management they had a cracking selection of craft beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its only just been taken over by new management. In the space of the last couple of years even under the old management they had a cracking selection of craft beers.
    Well clearly. That's why we called in! Look forward to dropping back in to try their food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm in The Flowing Tide having a pint of Flowing Tide craft beer. Anybody know where it's brewed and by who?

KJ wrote: »
    I'm in The Flowing Tide having a pint of Flowing Tide craft beer. Anybody know where it's brewed and by who?
    Have you tried asking the staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Have you tried asking the staff?

I have. He wasn't sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

KJ wrote: »
    I have. He wasn't sure.

That's mad that a pub would go to the trouble of getting a beer specially brewed and branded but then not educate the staff about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's mad that a pub would go to the trouble of getting a beer specially brewed and branded but then not educate the staff about it.

Or maybe it was a polite way of saying "I won't tell you"?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's completely normal: a small part of the general craziness of pubs feeling they don't need to do anything to sell beer.

I very much doubt it's specially brewed and is probably a rebadge. What style was it, KJ, and do you know the strength?

• Advertisement

Or maybe it was a polite way of saying "I won't tell you"?
    Or more like a staff member saying "I don't care"

It's completely normal: a small part of the general craziness of pubs feeling they don't need to do anything to sell beer.

I very much doubt it's specially brewed and is probably a rebadge. What style was it, KJ, and do you know the strength?
    I know it's quite normal, but you'd imagine the laziness would follow through into just supplying the big brands only. Even if it is a rebadge, which it more than likely is, you'd still think the guy who signed off on it would at least have some type of blurb to go with it. Or maybe not.

What would it be a re-badge of? A craft beer from Ireland - or something from Europe, like the cheap stuff in Fibbers?

Last night I was mainly drinking Kocour IPA and Matuška IPA. I needed a hop hit last night after a drinking mainly Staropramen Nefiltrovany for the last few times I have been out.

What would it be a re-badge of? A craft beer from Ireland - or something from Europe, like the cheap stuff in Fibbers?
    All are possibilities. It could even be an Irish macro, though their people don't approve of that sort of thing.

All are possibilities. It could even be an Irish macro, though their people don't approve of that sort of thing.

A rebadge that's unbeknownst to the supplier? Ha. That'd be so cheeky if that was the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Mad Dog was the worst pish ever.

• Advertisement

Irish macro?

Irish macro?
    Something brewed by Diageo or Heineken. Foster's, Tuborg or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hommelbier on draught in The Abbot's, Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

Perlenbacher Pils out of the new xxl carton (8 bootles)
    Does this taste different to the normal Lidl 6 packs I wonder?
    More in line with the faceless Heinekens?

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Had a pint of Beamish there in a pub in Cork this evening, tasted waaaaaaaaay hoppier than usual. Anyone else notice, or is it just me?

It was absolutely devine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Stocked up on some nice stuff in Drinkstore earlier today. Will post up the "stash" tomorrow.
    Interestingly enough, Sierra Nevada will be hitting these shores in cans very soon!
    Currently Brewdog's Punk IPA is the only craft beer in Ireland available in a can.
    Also, Beoir Choirce Dhuibhne will be available in bottles again soon. Apparently they had an issue with their barcodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Heroditas wrote: »
    Stocked up on some nice stuff in Drinkstore earlier today. Will post up the "stash" tomorrow.
    Interestingly enough, Sierra Nevada will be hitting these shores in cans very soon!
    Currently Brewdog's Punk IPA is the only craft beer in Ireland available in a can.
    Also, Beoir Choirce Dhuibhne will be available in bottles again soon. Apparently they had an issue with their barcodes.

No plenty of craft beers are availaboe in cans, Fullers for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Had twelve days on cask last night in the porterhouse while watching the match. Wow that was a gorgeous ale. Especially the sweet taste of raisins to it in combination with an earthy nutty feel.
    Something I've never had before but something I really can't wait to try again!:)

Also I'm trying to get into liking IPAs. Normally I drink wheat beers such as franziskaner or weinhestenphaler or ales (red, stong, porter) but have had a few IPAs including brewdogs punk, Sierra Nevada and porterhouse hop head (is that an ipa?) and have found them too bitter to enjoy!
    Anyone got any suggestions as some of the best beers seem to be IPAs?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

The Brewdog Punk IPA and Sierra Nevada one would be some of the best IPAs out there. Hop Head is an IPA too but not as bitter as the other ones. Not everybody likes IPA's, and you did try three good variations, so that style may not be for you.

I personally hate wheat beers myself, so cant expect to love every beer style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Someone told me recently there was difficulty getting it because Mulligans bought a shed load and no one else could get the bottles...

Anyone into their IPA's should look out for Crew IPA. http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/crew-ipa/171714/

Really excellent German IPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Absolutely love O'Haras Irish Pale Ale. Quickly becoming one of my favs.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    No plenty of craft beers are availaboe in cans, Fullers for example.

Can Fullers be considered a craft brewer though?
    I wouldn't consider the likes of Ruddles etc to be craft brewers either.
    However, that might be a philosophical debate for another thread.

studiorat wrote: »
    Someone told me recently there was difficulty getting it because Mulligans bought a shed load and no one else could get the bottles...

Possibly!
    The problem was they had the exact same barcode on the back of the two different types of bottles across the whole range. As a result, barcode scanners couldn't differentiate between the different products.

Can Fullers be considered a craft brewer though?
    Can Sierra Nevada?
    /runs away

Can Sierra Nevada?
    /runs away

That would be a ecumenical matter father!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

studiorat wrote: »

Anyone into their IPA's should look out for Crew IPA. http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/crew-ipa/171714/

Really excellent German IPA.

Which Mulligans are you talking about. Might stop off for a bottle on the way home from work if it's the one in town

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement