Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A rebadge that's unbeknownst to the supplier? Ha. That'd be so cheeky if that was the case.
    Irish macro?
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Something brewed by Diageo or Heineken. Foster's, Tuborg or the like.

I know a pub in dublin that was serving their own "lite" beer that was actually just tennents!

Last night was spent drinking pints of Trouble Brewing's new IPA Sabotage at the launch in Against the Grain - loved the Cask version, the Keg was nice but nowhere near as good as the cask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I'm heading to mulligans in Stoneybatter tonight.
    Looking forward to trying a few nice ales.

Any suggestions?

Please don't recommend O'hara's , I don't see the fuss , its quite bland (IMO) :D

Cheers.
    Sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm generally not mad about Belgian beers but I did like the Dr Rudi on draft there, maybe because it's not quite so belgian!

Dr Rudi on draft

Thats one for the list, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

sham69 wrote: »
    Any suggestions?

Please don't recommend O'hara's , I don't see the fuss , its quite bland (IMO) :D

O'Hara's, what is bland? Them's fighting words :p

I love the regular stout, though not on keg as it's nitro.
    Absolutely love their IPA, especially on cask.
    Leann Folláin in any serving type but especially cask.

I can take the red or leave it but the same can be said about any red ale made in Ireland.

Oh @matrim if someone mentions Mulligans in relation to good beer, it will almost always be L Mulligan Grocer in stoneybatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Saruman wrote: »

I can take the red or leave it but the same can be said about any red ale made in Ireland.

Oh @matrim if someone mentions Mulligans in relation to good beer, it will almost always be L Mulligan Grocer in stoneybatter.

I assume it was the one in Stonybatter but was hoping it was the one in town as they are starting to make inroads into having better beer, O'Haras, Brewdog and a few others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Heroditas wrote: »
    Can Fullers be considered a craft brewer though?
    I wouldn't consider the likes of Ruddles etc to be craft brewers either.
    However, that might be a philosophical debate for another thread.

From my perspective absolutely, if Fullers Porter isn't in the club then neither am I. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Now, I'm having Proper Job on draught, lovely drop, price is 4.50. It doesn't taste like 5.5%.

I followed it with Galway Hooker PA, also nice, price is 4.20.

You'll note that my description isn't very flowery, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Geuze wrote: »
    Now, I'm having Proper Job on draught, lovely drop, price is 4.50. It doesn't taste like 5.5%.

Your description saying you like is as good as anybody elses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

By those prices I'm guessing you're not in Dublin!?!?!

One thing about Proper Job is that it seems to go down very easy.

Too easy, in fact.

A few weeks ago I had three Proper Job, and other beers, and I couldn't speak when I awoke at 7am.

GH PA was 4.00 until Christmas, now 4.20, here in The Swagman, on Wine street in Sligo.

Proper Job appeared a few weeks ago, 4.50.

I'm told some organic honey beer will be on next week.

I'm now having an O'H Leann Follain, price is 5.00, with a Power's whiskey, price is 3.00.

Yes, good Irish whiskey for 3.00, good value.

Good man, 'the lads' would think you were gay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Currently having a Kinnegar Devil's Backbone.
    Gong down exceedingly well with some wings with the rugby on.

Yeah it was the red I meant, it was terrible.
    I was quite boring last night.
    Had a pint of Galway hooker as I know I like it.
    I tried the dr rudi, very very nice spicy yeasty Belgian type beer.
    I then asked about a red ale, barman said o hara's or sunburnt ( he recommended sunburnt)
    It was delicious, ruby red, not very gassy, kind of caramely with a hint of citrus.
    I ended up having 4 pints of it, suffering today.
    Mulligans is a great spot, some really nice touches which I won't spoil in case anyone is planning on going..

Oh yeah, the missus tried the kriek boon, cherry lager type thing, it was vile..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had a nice pint of Spire Sgt Pepper Stout on cask at WJ Kavanaghs this afternoon. I really enjoyed it although I thought the pepper aspect was rather gimmicky. It has a great burnt malt aftertaste that I really enjoyed.

I also decided to get a Clotworthy Dobbin and a Brooklyn Pennant Ale. I´m looking forward to the latter. I really like their chocolate stout and the lager is certainly one of my favourites of that type, despite not being a lager drinker, but the IPA doesn´t do much for me. Hopefully this will hit the spot.

Had a Widmer Brothers Seasonal Ale followed by a Punk IPA with dinner.
    Now supping on a Meantime IPA.
    A good day with the beer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Had a nice pint of Spire Sgt Pepper Stout on cask at WJ Kavanaghs this afternoon. I really enjoyed it although I thought the pepper aspect was rather gimmicky. It has a great burnt malt aftertaste that I really enjoyed.

I love this stout, was down in Kavanagh's last weekend, and again last night. Had a pint of it on both occasions and really, really enjoyed it. It has a kind of sour character which I find appealing. It also reminds me of Chai Tea.

My current absolute favourite is Williams Bros 80 Shilling. It's a wonderfully malty dark ale, I can't get enough of it.

Sipping on a Porterhouse barrel aged Celebration Stout watching the Italy v France game this afternoon.
    Possibly the only drink I enjoy that has been aged in whiskey casks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Nogne O #500 last night. Lovely mix of hoppy and malty goodness.

During the week I had the Flying Dog International Arms Race. It wasn't too bad and was very interesting. Not something I'd rush back to but for what it was trying to do it was decent. Unfortunately they were sold out of the Brewdog version so I didn't get a chance to try that to see the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

been working my way through this selection that I was given as a gift:

5097fc47ac0cd.jpg-PjI1MA.jpg

so far the Rothaus is the winner; very tasty weissbeer.

Had the Mythique last night - 7.5% and you can taste the alcohoi, but not much else.

bit wary of the Gulden Draak - its over 10% and I'm generally not that keen on very high-strength beer, anyone tried it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Had a Kill Your Darlings and an Odell Barrel Pale Ale last night. Wasn't very taken with both of them, both had a thin taste, just lacking something. Although I'm pretty sure I've had the Pale Ale before and enjoyed it then, so I'll probably give it another chance.

Having a Fire Rock pale ale now, by Kona Brewing, a Hawaiian brewery, and it's going down well. Really tasty and easy to drink. Maybe a little to easy to drink at 6%. Have a Long Hammer IPA by Red Hook brewing out of the fridge now, warming up a bit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

loyatemu wrote: »
    bit wary of the Gulden Draak - its over 10% and I'm generally not that keen on very high-strength beer, anyone tried it?
    I quite like it. It's fairly obvious how strong it is, though.
    Having a Fire Rock pale ale now, by Kona Brewing, a Hawaiian brewery
    Sort of but not really. The bottled Kona beers are brewed on the US mainland by Widmer Brothers and Redhook. You have to go to Hawaii get the stuff produced by the Hawaiian brewery itself.

The bar I'm working in got a range of beers from Philips brewing on draught, some fantastic hoppy beers and choc porter as good as any I've had. Also got Rogue Irish Style lager, which is just a decent lager, anyone any idea on why rogue would put this out other then gimmick?

Also got the Brooklyn black choc stout on draught, we have 72 all rotational taps with a focus on North American craft beer (not a macro in sight) and all beers are the same price, so pints of black choc stout are $8.50, not bad.

Best canadian brewery I've come across so far is Flying Monkey, consistently good offerings, before coming away I was finding the Irish offerings a little stale but to be fair we're lucky to have what we have, consistently good and mildly adventurous small brewers making fantastic beer, the same cant be said for a lot of the 'craft brewers' here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Also got Rogue Irish Style lager, which is just a decent lager, anyone any idea on why rogue would put this out other then gimmick?
    The inexplicable popularity of Harp?

Had a nice session on Saturday. Started about 1:15 (Rugby time) in the porterhouse switching between cask hop head and TSB (perfect condition) as well as the Vienna lager. Moved on to Indie Dhaba for dinner and had their Darjeeling ale and unbelievably good food.
    Then to Against the grain and a Left hand milk stout when I could not get the new Galway Bay one.
    After that it was off to Brew Dock where I had the Galway Bay brown ale (strange brew tap) followed by the new version Full Sail IPA. Both were excellent. Then it was time for the last train home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

After that it was off to Brew Dock where I had the Galway Bay brown ale (strange brew tap) followed by the new version Full Sail IPA. Both were excellent. Then it was time for the last train home.

Had the Full Sail IPA last week in ATG and was very impressed.

They've obviously changed the recipe for Strange Brew then if it's now classified as a brown ale. It wasn't far off London Pride in flavour this time last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Sort of but not really. The bottled Kona beers are brewed on the US mainland by Widmer Brothers and Redhook. You have to go to Hawaii get the stuff produced by the Hawaiian brewery itself.

I feel so cheated now...:(

The inexplicable popularity of Harp?

I wandered as far as their website and found this
    'Tasting Notes: An Irish style lager with a smooth mellow flavor and an apple crisp finish. Perfect for floating Guinness!' :(

and this

'In 1998 Rogue Brewmaster John Maier created an Irish style lager that would float Guinness. It took four batches to get it just right. John used acidulated malts imported from Europe that resulted in a crisp, apple flavor profile. The bottle label displays a famous Irish Flutist.'

Which leads to more questions, a beer a brewery can't even blurb about? Smooth? mellow? flavour? Isn't apple in beer an off flavour.

A famous Irish flutist? :rolleyes:

What is an Irish style lager? Why Rogue? Why?

Because Rogue are about 99% style and .5% substance.

Their "hit" rate is, in my opinion, pure luck.

I'm actually not sure they do a proper nice beer. None of their beers that I've tried have been delicious, and more than one just haven't been nice at all.

• Advertisement

I'm actually not sure they do a proper nice beer. None of their beers that I've tried have been delicious, and more than one just haven't been nice at all.

True, I liked their farms pumpkin ale, the amber is ok too.

I don't like Dead Guy, the oatmeal stout or the juniper ale.

Yellow Snow IPA is supposedly decent.

They're along way from the likes of Odells and Sierra Nevada.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I think the Oatmeal stout is lovely, but that's the only one so far...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had the Full Sail IPA last week in ATG and was very impressed.

They've obviously changed the recipe for Strange Brew then if it's now classified as a brown ale. It wasn't far off London Pride in flavour this time last year!

Strange Brew was a seasonal rotational. First one was a pale ale (later became full sail) and then an Amber and then the brown.

As of the new milk stout (the new seasonal), Strange Brew won't exist anymore and all the seasonals will have their own name and badge, ie, the milk stout is called Burried at Sea.

So once the Brown ale is gone, no more strange brew taps, but still a seasonal rotational, if ya get me?

One or two of the pubs are still shifting the last of their brown ale, once thats gone they will scrap the strange brew tap heads and will have the Buried at Sea taps.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    What is an Irish style lager? Why Rogue? Why?

You raise some serious questions!

Seaneh wrote: »
    Strange Brew was a seasonal rotational. First one was a pale ale (later became full sail) and then an Amber and then the brown.

As of the new milk stout (the new seasonal), Strange Brew won't exist anymore and all the seasonals will have their own name and badge, ie, the milk stout is called Burried at Sea.

So once the Brown ale is gone, no more strange brew taps, but still a seasonal rotational, if ya get me?

One or two of the pubs are still shifting the last of their brown ale, once thats gone they will scrap the strange brew tap heads and will have the Buried at Sea taps.

Much appreciated. Although my memory is a little hazy, I had Strange Brew in February (Oslo) and March (ATG) and it wasn't much like the Full Sail IPA. But I catch your drift.

Looking forward to the Buried at Sea.

Much appreciated. Although my memory is a little hazy, I had Strange Brew in February (Oslo) and March (ATG) and it wasn't much like the Full Sail IPA. But I catch your drift.

Looking forward to the Buried at Sea.

Yeah, Full Sail has changed a LOT since the first batch, even in the last 2 months it's a totally different beer (much better if you ask me).

The brewery got a new brewer at the end of the summer and he's been tweeking all of the recipes (the red ale is actually a totally new recipe I think, and stormy port is much changed) but Full Sail has basically been changed from the bottom up and is now an American style IPA rather than an english style pale ale if you ask me. It's been dry hopped with bucket loads of cascade ad the malt profile is a little different.
    I think it's one of the best Irish Pales/IPA's now.

I stilly haven't got to try the Burried at Sea on draught, I did have the dry hopped version from before Christmas which had cocoanibs and vanilla pods added in the cash and that was gorgeous.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, Full Sail has changed a LOT since the first batch, even in the last 2 months it's a totally different beer (much better if you ask me).

The brewery got a new brewer at the end of the summer and he's been tweeking all of the recipes (the red ale is actually a totally new recipe I think, and stormy port is much changed) but Full Sail has basically been changed from the bottom up and is now an American style IPA rather than an english style pale ale if you ask me. It's been dry hopped with bucket loads of cascade ad the malt profile is a little different.
    I think it's one of the best Irish Pales/IPA's now.

I stilly haven't got to try the Burried at Sea on draught, I did have the dry hopped version from before Christmas which had cocoanibs and vanilla pods added in the cash and that was gorgeous.

Cheers Seaneh, making my trip to Galway & Oslo even more eagerly anticipated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭squonk

Is Buried At Sea avaialble in the Salt House in Galway at the moment? Dying to try out a Milk Stout. I had some of the Left Hand stuff last week but it was Milk Chocolate Stout which disappointed me. I'd hoped it'd be milk without the chocolate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Is buried at sea not the milk choc stout and Left Hand is a regular joe milk stout

• Advertisement

stuchyg wrote: »
    Is buried at sea not the milk choc stout and Left Hand is a regular joe milk stout

They are both just milk stout afaik.

The cask buried at sea had cocoa added so was a "milk chocolate".
    squonk wrote: »
    Is Buried At Sea avaialble in the Salt House in Galway at the moment? Dying to try out a Milk Stout. I had some of the Left Hand stuff last week but it was Milk Chocolate Stout which disappointed me. I'd hoped it'd be milk without the chocolate!

It wasn't when I was in on Sunday but they should be through the last of the brown ale by now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

stuchyg wrote: »

Yep. Left Hand Milk Stout has chocolate malt in it, but it's not classed as a chocolate stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Joeseph Holt Sixex a lovely dark ale and lots of smokey flavors pouring from this.
    Actually was slightly sweet when initially tasting then finished off in a dry coffee taste.

Never seen this when I was in Ireland and strange that it turns up in a "traditional" fish and chip shop here in Prague.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Joeseph Holt Sixex a lovely dark ale and lots of smokey flavors pouring from this.
    Actually was slightly sweet when initially tasting then finished off in a dry coffee taste.

Never seen this when I was in Ireland and strange that it turns up in a "traditional" fish and chip shop here in Prague.

Has shown up here before. I could take it or leave it. Not interesting but also not a bad beer either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Had a few pints of Pilsner Urquell earlier in the week. Still can't get over how much better/fresher it is on draught than in bottles.

The parts for my spunding valve have arrived, along with 400g of Saaz, acid malt and Irish lager malt, so next stop I'm gonna try brew my own.

It's down to the bottle being green. Can't drink it from a bottle.
    PU uses a triple decoction mash. I'm not sure if it truly impacts on the finished product though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've had their hazelnut nectar on tap a few times over in the States. That was a seriously good beer, but I've never seen it here unfortunately.

edit:it just occurred to me now to check Drinkstore and of course they have it, I'll have to grab some at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

stevenmu wrote: »
    I've had their hazelnut nectar on tap a few times over in the States. That was a seriously good beer, but I've never seen it here unfortunately.

edit:it just occurred to me now to check Drinkstore and of course they have it, I'll have to grab some at the weekend.

It made an appearance on draft in WJ Kavanaghs also last year along with some other draft Rogue. Don't think they currently have any Rogue on draft but I could be wrong.

I'm sure I saw, and ignored, a Rogue tap in there last Saturday.

Could be wrong though.

slayerking wrote: »
    It made an appearance on draft in WJ Kavanaghs also last year along with some other draft Rogue. Don't think they currently have any Rogue on draft but I could be wrong.

Still there. I tried the Oatmeal Stout over Christmas too - quite expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just had a brew dog dead pony club. Really tasty and only 3.8%

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement