Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I'm having a night of stouts!

First up was my HomeBrew chocolate stout. Lovely full head and very tasty. Proud of myself.

I followed that up with a Left Hand Brewery Nitro. Poured with no head what so ever and was quite flat. It was still full of favour. Does it normal pour flat and headless?

Then had a Mikkeller Milk Stout. Not much of a head, but left a nice lace on the glass. It was tasty too.

But best of all was St Peters Cream Stout! Slim head but very flavoursome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

have an Innis & Gunn, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Schneider Weisse and 5am Saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Picked up the blue moon seasonal pack today. Missus havin thr blackberry tart ale and I'm having the hibiscus.and white pepper red.

Both pretty good

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just had the last pint from the cask of Franciscan Well's Coffee Stout in the Blind Pig in Limerick. Absolutely beautiful stuff. I really must get back to Cork for a night or two this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I followed that up with a Left Hand Brewery Nitro. Poured with no head what so ever and was quite flat. It was still full of favour. Does it normal pour flat and headless?

You're supposed to pour it vigorously to get a head.

Having a Great Divide Belgian Style Yeti Imperial Stout. Lovely. Really tasty and malty and a nice smooth finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

On tap St. Lupulin EPA- Odell Brewing this is probably the perfect summer beer for drinking outside on a warm day while doing the BBQ.

You get a tiny orange and hop kick rolling across the tongue followed by a lemon aftertaste but not overpowering.
    Very light on carbonation too.

All on tap :

Deschutes Twilight Ale: this reminded me of Bitter and Twisted. Maybe it s little creamier but its another very good beer.
    Again another very good summer beer very light and light carbonation.

Scurvy - Tyranena Brewing Company : this is Fullers ESB with hops and orange zest.
    I liked it but I would prefer Fullers ESB over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Had a bottle of Oakham Ales' Citra last night. A beautiful, fruity pale ale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Last night:

Pint of Green Bullet, on draught, = 4.00

OK, not as good as I expected, not bad, but I wasn't going to order a second.

Bit watery or thin. Is it a lager or ale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Tried a Smithwicks Pale Ale last night and was surprised both at flavor and price. It's got a pleasant sweetness and maltyness with a mild hoppy bitterness coming through. A little under powered for a craft beer at abv 4.5% but at €2 for a 500ml bottle it's good value and perfect for weekend nights in front of the telly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

IT-Guy wrote: »
    A little under powered for a craft beer at abv 4.5% but at €2 for a 500ml bottle it's good value and perfect for weekend nights in front of the telly :D

I certainly would not count it as a 'craft' beer. I'd also consider it to be one of the blander pale ales on the market. But, anyway, I'm glad you like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I certainly would not count it as a 'craft' beer. I'd also consider it to be one of the blander pale ales on the market. But, anyway, I'm glad you like it.

Not me claiming it to be a craft beer, it was on the blurb on the label :) I don't think it truly is (only recently started trying craft beers) but it was worth all of the €2 I spent on it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mikkeller beer geek breakfast, delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

ciaran76 wrote: »
    All on tap :

Deschutes Twilight Ale: this reminded me of Bitter and Twisted. Maybe it s little creamier but its another very good beer.
    Again another very good summer beer very light and light carbonation.
    This is a go to for me over here a great spicy hop bite and plenty of body it's great

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    This is a go to for me over here a great spicy hop bite and plenty of body it's great

Yeah it's an unusual beer but very good. The bar guy was convinced I'd hate it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Have had Brown Paper Bag's Dr. Rudi and Oxman. Didn't really like the latter, was just your run of the mill brown ale. Dr. Rudi wasn't bad, but I preferred the previous incarnation of it.

I also had Sly Fox 113 IPA. Was very disappointed with this. It's best before was only 3 months away, and it ended up tasting like some bad lager. For a beer that has a 113 IBU, could not taste it. To be avoided.

Has anybody tried the Hitachino Japanese beers floating around currently, any worth getting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Have had Brown Paper Bag's Dr. Rudi and Oxman. Didn't really like the latter, was just your run of the mill brown ale. Dr. Rudi wasn't bad, but I preferred the previous incarnation of it.

I also had Sly Fox 113 IPA. Was very disappointed with this. It's best before was only 3 months away, and it ended up tasting like some bad lager. For a beer that has a 113 IBU, could not taste it. To be avoided.

Has anybody tried the Hitachino Japanese beers floating around currently, any worth getting ?
    I preferred the new rudi.

Hitachino ipa is very good. Are they floating around, only had it in yamamori.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mikkeller Milk Stout. Not liking it at all. Too sweet in an artificial sweetener way, which then finishes with a harsh bitterness. Not one of their best.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Yeah they are floating around in the usual good offy's. I was thinking of getting the 8% red rice ale or the Extra High XH - "Strong Belgian Brown Ale matured in distilled Sake barrels".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Yeah they are floating around in the usual good offy's. I was thinking of getting the 8% red rice ale or the Extra High XH - "Strong Belgian Brown Ale matured in distilled Sake barrels".

Well you get them and let us know ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mikkeller Green Gold.
    Another underwhelming offering from Mikkeller.This is a very pedestrian Imperial/extra/double IPA - I thing I just might stop buying these beers. They're not bad but they just aren't worth the premium price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

im enjoying some rothaus pils at the moment.

I was in Cork on Friday night and had my first ever pint of Murhphy's. The experience was entirely favourable. I wasn't really a fan of the nitro-perfection of the pint but the taste was sweet and almost chocolatey. Perhaps it was the novelty but I thought at the time that I would be quite happy to drink it in the absence of craft options. I'd certainly chose it over the liquid disappointment that is Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I would be quite happy to drink it in the absence of craft options.

When I'm in a craft-free zone, my pint is Beamish. It has a lovely flavour off it, just suffers from the same baffling wateriness and 'nitro-perfection' of Murphy's and Guinness. Also, it tends to be considerably cheaper than those two; in most places, only Carling comes cheaper.
    I'd certainly chose it over the liquid disappointment that is Guinness.

+1. I still don't get the Guinness obsession. To tourists, sure, it's like this great Irish thing that they have to do when in Dublin. But to me it feels so watery and like you said, disappointing. Does not satisfy like a beer should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Had 3 bottles of Sharps Chalky's Bite tonight, similar but not as nice as innis and gunn, 6.8%

• Advertisement

When I'm in a craft-free zone, my pint is Beamish. It has a lovely flavour off it, just suffers from the same baffling wateriness and 'nitro-perfection' of Murphy's and Guinness.

I actually struggle to discern between Guinness and Beamish. Probably my tastebuds' fault. It's definitely the most economic option though!

To be fair, I can't remember the last time I've even tried Guinness Draught. Now, Guinness Extra would be even better, but I don't see many pubs with those bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I was at a wedding last week with just Heineken and Coors on tap. However, I noticed also that instead of Guinness on tap, they had Murphy's so I was stuck drinking that for the night. Maybe it was just Stockholm Syndrome, but I started to really enjoy it! Much nicer than Guinness, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

When I'm in a craft-free zone, my pint is Beamish. It has a lovely flavour off it, just suffers from the same baffling wateriness and 'nitro-perfection' of Murphy's and Guinness. Also, it tends to be considerably cheaper than those two; in most places, only Carling comes cheaper.

+1. I still don't get the Guinness obsession. To tourists, sure, it's like this great Irish thing that they have to do when in Dublin. But to me it feels so watery and like you said, disappointing. Does not satisfy like a beer should.

As an Irishman living abroad, I take every opportunity to dis Guinness. Not that the beer is actually that bad, but I hate they way they've managed to tie Guinness and Irish identity into one, making it almost unIrish to not drink Guinness. As if Patrick's Day wasn't bad enough, they had to invent another bull**** day as well.

I also like to point out to people that having one beer available everywhere and sod all local ones is not normal. Imagine if one vinyard in France took over (or put out of business) all the other vinyards in the country, and there was only one type of wine available. This essentially is the situation we have in Ireland.

I know there are craft beers coming out now, but most of the country (outside Dublin) is still a craft beer desert. Offaly, for example, has only two (last time I looked on Beoir) places selling craft, and one of those closes at six in the evening (Tullamore Dew Heritage Centre).

Lucena wrote: »
    As an Irishman living abroad, I take every opportunity to dis Guinness. Not that the beer is actually that bad, but I hate they way they've managed to tie Guinness and Irish identity into one, making it almost unIrish to not drink Guinness.

This happened to me in Valladolid a couple of years ago. On St Patrick's Day I was berated for ordering a London Pride instead of a Guinness!

I have a tasty bottle of FES at home though but that's a totally different experience. I might buy a can of Murphy's at some stage to test whether or not it's that good. It won't be the same from a can but so few places in Dublin serve it.

Edit: at €2.29 a can in Tesco it's rather pricey though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Mikkeller Green Gold.
    Another underwhelming offering from Mikkeller.This is a very pedestrian Imperial/extra/double IPA - I thing I just might stop buying these beers. They're not bad but they just aren't worth the premium price tag.
    Have you tried Beer Geek Breakfast?

This happened to me in Valladolid a couple of years ago. On St Patrick's Day I was berated for ordering a London Pride instead of a Guinness!

I have a tasty bottle of FES at home though but that's a totally different experience. I might buy a can of Murphy's at some stage to test whether or not it's that good. It won't be the same from a can but so few places in Dublin serve it.

Edit: at €2.29 a can in Tesco it's rather pricey though...

Of all things!! Cuchullain, Brian Boru, Michael Collins and Devalera must be spinning in their graves! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

snowblind wrote: »
    Have you tried Beer Geek Breakfast?

No not yet.
    Should I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Of all things!! Cuchullain, Brian Boru, Michael Collins and Devalera must be spinning in their graves! :D

I don't see why. After all, Guinness and London Pride are both brewed by companies headquartered in London...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

No not yet.
    Should I?
    If you like full bodied smooth stouts with a coffee buzz, for sure!

Beer Geek Brunch Weasel has been probably my favourite beer, this one is not far from that one.

Mikkeller sure they have a bunch of disappointing beers but I usually manage to avoid them looking at some reviews or whatever. They're usually pretty expensive so it makes sense not to just buy whatever I see by them. The way I see it, breweries like Nogne like to take one style and try to perfect that (according to some relatively conservative criteria), while Mikkeller constantly tries to come up with quirky new stuff. I think there's room for both approaches, but if I'm not in the mood for surprises I would go for Nogne, Mikkellers reserved for more adventurous days. Beer Geek Breakfast/Brunch are not some crazy ass beers though, and actually are brewed in Nogne's brewery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

As an Irishman living abroad, I take every opportunity to dis Guinness. Not that the beer is actually that bad, but I hate they way they've managed to tie Guinness and Irish identity into one, making it almost unIrish to not drink Guinness. As if Patrick's Day wasn't bad enough, they had to invent another bull**** day as well.

I also like to point out to people that having one beer available everywhere and sod all local ones is not normal. Imagine if one vinyard in France took over (or put out of business) all the other vinyards in the country, and there was only one type of wine available. This essentially is the situation we have in Ireland.

I know there are craft beers coming out now, but most of the country (outside Dublin) is still a craft beer desert. Offaly, for example, has only two (last time I looked on Beoir) places selling craft, and one of those closes at six in the evening (Tullamore Dew Heritage Centre).

Sad. You sound just bitter. You can promote whatever you like but no need to slag the most popular beer in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    slag the most popular beer in Ireland.
    I would call it the best selling beer in Ireland, not necessarily most popular, by some definitions
    pop·u·lar
    /ˈpäpyələr/
    Adjective
    Liked, admired, or enjoyed by many people or by a particular person or group.

Also sounds like he is "slagging" the company & their marketing techniques, not the beer.

I drink guinness quite a bit, it would be right down the list on my preferred stouts though. I would be embarrassed being a barman in one of the many pubs who just have a single stout, yet could have 5+ lagers on offer and 2-3 non alcoholic beers.

There must be so many disappointed tourists looking forward to try all the different stouts they expect to find. It'd be like going to Russia and only having smirnoff red on offer, or germany and only having becks.

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Sad. You sound just bitter. You can promote whatever you like but no need to slag the most popular beer in Ireland.

Why not?

Because it's popular?

Because it's Irish?

I'm not allowed to dislike the fact that they've marketed themselves into the Irish identity?

What I dislike is the strangehold larger breweries have on the Irish market, and the lack of real choice as a result. If you look at the beer situation in England, they have thousands of different beers, and very successful local breweries. I'm aware it's a bigger country, but independent breweries have a much larger share over there.

Interestingly enough CAMRA was founded in Dunquin, Co. Kerry, apparently because all local and independent in Ireland had disappeared, and they wanted to stop the same happening in the UK.

In Ireland, it's only in the past five years that craft beer has started to take off, but if we're honest, it's still probably under the radar of most beer drinkers who don't take an active interest in the craft stuff.

I love how people say that CAMRA was founded in Krugers in Kerry, as if it's something to be proud of. Surely it was founded there (if it indeed was) because even as outsiders, they could see how terrible the situation was. All of that was well before my time. I came of age at a time when many Irish craft and micro-breweries were starting up (or already established) and for that I consider myself lucky.

Still though, it doesn't take much pub-to-pub research to see the effect Diageo(English) and Heineken(Dutch) still have on the Irish market, and when you throw in the Irisher-than-thou reputation of Guinness, I think you have the right to be a little annoyed. To be fair, not many Guinness ads these days have an Irish overtone to them - they just don't need to do it.

It gets to the point where I wouldn't even mind if there were a bunch of Irish breweries owned by a multinational company, as long as that company was based in or had real roots in Ireland. The way it is now, it feels almost embarrassing to be paying a foreign company for a local product. Like we can't do things for ourselves so we have to get a big European or American company to take care of it for us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Surely it was founded there (if it indeed was) because even as outsiders, they could see how terrible the situation was.
    I suspect, though I have no direct corroboration of this, that it's the opposite: that they found the beer so much better in Ireland to how it was changing at home. And I think the reason for that is nitrogenation: they would have been drinking smooth creamy Guinness, whereas what early CAMRA was resolutely opposed to was fizz. At least one of the founders is on record saying that none of them knew anything about the technicalities of conditioning or serving beer: they just knew that they didn't like what most pubs were serving them.

My theory is that if the Big Six UK breweries had moved straight from cask to smoothflow bitter instead of serving on straight CO2, CAMRA would never have existed.

• Advertisement

Had my first (bottle of) Trouble Brewing Sabotage. Lacked the bite of a good IPA, but I did enjoy it's unusual smokey-ness. I might get another to try again. Re-visited O'Hara's IPA and I'be grown fond of it now, it's very well balanced. Finished with another re-visit; 8 Degrees Howling Gale Ale. Even better the second time around. It's a great beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Got my hands on this today in work, cant wait to get home and try

BOLX9vjCQAE5O6n.jpg

eurokev wrote: »

BOLX9vjCQAE5O6n.jpg

How much is it? I must pop in later and get some.
    Edit: never mind, picked up two. €9.99 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

eurokev wrote: »

Where is it available? Not showing on drinkstore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

matrim wrote: »
    Where is it available? Not showing on drinkstore.

Martin's in Marino, if it's local, had it last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Was out last night and on hearing my accent, the bar tender insisted I try some Belgium stout.

Really nutty, bitter taste with the familiar fruity undertone. Won't be trying it again. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Best review ever. :p

I need that Barrell Aged Lean Follain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

How much is it? I must pop in later and get some.
    Edit: never mind, picked up two. €9.99 each.

Sorry nialler, away from the computer, hope you enjoy

I'm having a W12. Because. Because I want one!

Only 3 left, hehe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Ooh I just had the barrel aged Leann Folláin tonight. Absolutely loved it. Bits of coffee and barbecue sauce, super smooth. It's a bummer it's so strong and expensive 'cause it's a very fun beer to take huge mouthfuls of. The kind of stout you can chew on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement