Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

rcaz wrote: »
    Ooh I just had the barrel aged Leann Folláin tonight. Absolutely loved it. Bits of coffee and barbecue sauce, super smooth. It's a bummer it's so strong and expensive 'cause it's a very fun beer to take huge mouthfuls of. The kind of stout you can chew on.

Sounds good, I'm saving a bottle for the weekend. I'm going to leave the other one aside for some future special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Tried emilesse black ipa last night. Strange but in a good way. Was on special in the porterhouse for €4. Tasty and drinkable for a 8% in my opinion.
    Had some dr rudi at the weekend as well as O'Hara's double ipa. Both good.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Franciscan Well IPA. Nice malts, but missing some hop bite to make it shine as an IPA. Also the carbonation was very low, and the last half of my bottle was pretty much flat. Kinda disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Ooh I just had the barrel aged Leann Folláin tonight. Absolutely loved it. Bits of coffee and barbecue sauce, super smooth. It's a bummer it's so strong and expensive 'cause it's a very fun beer to take huge mouthfuls of. The kind of stout you can chew on.

How strong was the whiskey note?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

snowblind wrote: »
    Franciscan Well IPA. Nice malts, but missing some hop bite to make it shine as an IPA. Also the carbonation was very low, and the last half of my bottle was pretty much flat. Kinda disappointing.

I spoke to Shane about this, he said he had to rush it out to meet a deadline for the IFSC festival-thing, therefore the carbonation wasn't what he wanted.

Overall I loved the flavour though. Citra is a great hop, one of my favourites now.

• Advertisement

I spoke to Shane about this, he said he had to rush it out to meet a deadline for the IFSC festival-thing, therefore the carbonation wasn't what he wanted.

Overall I loved the flavour though. Citra is a great hop, one of my favourites now.
    Yeah initially the flavour was pretty good. Just not 5€ good especially considering the carbonation. How is the coffee porter, any industry related unwanted compromises on that one?

I also got the Leann Follain Barrel Aged. Looking forward to tasting it, although I'll probably have to splash more money for a second bottle if I really like it! I've got a love/hate relationship with whiskey barrel editions, often there's a caramel-y whiskey note that is too overpowering and feels tacked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried this last night too. I agree about the carbonation - way too flat - but I really, really liked the flavour. It isn't very bitter but there is a lovely complex grapefruity hop flavour and aroma and a great rounded, interesting malt profile with a touch of sweetness. I would like it to have more carbonation and a touch more bitterness but overall I think it is, hands down, the most interesting Irish beer that's not a stout/porter made to date.

I think I'd call it an Imperial/double IPA.
    It reminds me a bit of Nogne O 100

If this is what happens when a micro is taken over......;)

It is kind of ironic that the beer was rushed for an event in March but didn't reach the shop shelves until July!
    I believe the complexities and inefficiencies of Molson Coor's distribution set up are rather frustrating for all involved - the down side of a takeover?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Having a Brewfist Czech Norris in against the grain, very nice pils 6.7% and served in 2/3; pint glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Ravelleman wrote: »
    How strong was the whiskey note?

Honestly didn't think there was much whiskey going on. I don't know much about whiskey so maybe someone who knows what they're looking for could pick some whiskey details out, but not much for me. The biggest impact of the whiskey barrels was the smoothness of it, in terms of mouthfeel, I thought.

I don't know if that'd be disappointing for some people, but it's not much of a whiskey stout imo (not nearly as whiskey-y as the 8 Degrees Kindred Spirit, for example), but it's a ****ing gorgeous delicious stout. Can't emphasise enough how much I'm digging it. Previously, my favourite drink was a tie between Leann Folláin, Left Hand Milk Stout, and Brooklyn Brown Ale. Hate that lads.

Honestly didn't think there was much whiskey going on. I don't know much about whiskey so maybe someone who knows what they're looking for could pick some whiskey details out, but not much for me. The biggest impact of the whiskey barrels was the smoothness of it, in terms of mouthfeel, I thought.

I don't know if that'd be disappointing for some people, but it's not much of a whiskey stout imo (not nearly as whiskey-y as the 8 Degrees Kindred Spirit, for example), but it's a ****ing gorgeous delicious stout. Can't emphasise enough how much I'm digging it. Previously, my favourite drink was a tie between Leann Folláin, Left Hand Milk Stout, and Brooklyn Brown Ale. Hate that lads.

To be honest, I don't like whiskey generally but I was curious. Leann Folláin is probably my favourite beer at the moment so the special edition caught my eye. I tried Kindred Spirit at the St Patrick's Day yoke but it was served very cold so I thought a lot of the flavour was lost. That being said, perhaps it was a good thing as whiskey is not my beverage of choice. You live by the sword; you die by the sword.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I have had a fair few whiskey barreled stouts but the only one i like is the shandon stout version. added too the flavour complexity but didnt add that horrible whiskey flavour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

local offo has Sam Adams utopias 10th anniversary in stock, €199.99 a bottle :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Tried a Bishop's Finger (normally reliable) tonight while watching the Pats game and found it very metallic on the finish.
    Has it changed recently? Are we getting aged stock? Or is this just a bum bottle I have? Anyone else got the same thing off it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Has a pint and a half of Fran Well Coffee Porter on cask today, lovely stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Badger's Golden Champion 5% - grand.

Badger's Golden Glory 4.5% - described as peachy, which to be fair it was - sweet and floral

Badger's Poacher's Choice - darker, ruby brown, 5.7%

Best of the 3 so far

Bottles sourced in NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sun night - draught Bo Bristle ale - 4.50 per pint

No head whatsoever, liquid nearly spilling over the rim of the glass.

Nice beer, I will order it again.

(Better than Green Bullet in that respect)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Geuze wrote: »

Badger's Poacher's Choice - darker, ruby brown, 5.7%

Best of the 3 so far

Bottles sourced in NI.

Delicious stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Tried a Bishop's Finger (normally reliable) tonight while watching the Pats game and found it very metallic on the finish.
    Has it changed recently? Are we getting aged stock? Or is this just a bum bottle I have? Anyone else got the same thing off it?

Yes, off Bishops Finger, Spitfire, Canterbury Jack, you name it. Tried a fresh Bishops Finger from the back of the case recently (to ensure minimum light exposure) and it was still terrible. Shepherd Neame need sorting out.

Bottle of Franciscan Well Coffee Porter - not impressed, the porter has way too much of a light body and the coffee tastes like it's just been thrown in before bottling. Curiously enough towards the end of the bottle that feeling waned a little, though it was still just an "ok" porter. If I'm going to spend a fiver on a porter, gonna go with a foreign one or Carraigh Dubh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Yes, off Bishops Finger, Spitfire, Canterbury Jack, you name it. Tried a fresh Bishops Finger from the back of the case recently (to ensure minimum light exposure) and it was still terrible. Shepherd Neame need sorting out.

The reason I ask is I've had Bishop's Finger in England twice in recent months and it was fine. But I won't be trying it again here, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Just picked up a bottle of each of red hook esb, brooklyn summer lager, widmer pitch black ipa and blue moon rounder belgian style pale.
    All experiments to see whats good.
    Anyone try them?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Had the Wider BIPA before, was ok. The best BIPA I've had is Thornbridge's Raven, so if you like the Widmer check out Raven too.

Had Brewdog's 10 Heads High, based on their previous hops kill nazi's. Was ok, nowhere near as good as Hops Kills though.

Does anybody know are there bottles of O' Haras DIPA and Porterhouse's Louder Barleywine around Dublin ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Westmalle Tripel packed away safely for tomorrow night. It's been far too long...

local offo has Sam Adams utopias 10th anniversary in stock, €199.99 a bottle :eek:
    Drinkstore needs to fix their website
    8ape4qt.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

adamski8 wrote: »
    I have had a fair few whiskey barreled stouts but the only one i like is the shandon stout version. added too the flavour complexity but didnt add that horrible whiskey flavour

If you're at all curious, give the Leann Folláin one a shot, sounds like it'd be your kinda buzz.

Drinkstore needs to fix their website
    8ape4qt.gif

bahahaha, that's some mistake, hopefully they spot it before someone trys to ship it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seaneh wrote: »
    bahahaha, that's some mistake, hopefully they spot it before someone trys to ship it!

Ah don't worry, they'd notice notice it!

I let them know already. I seriously doubt they have more than 2 bottles of that stuff anyways!

If you're at all curious, give the Leann Folláin one a shot, sounds like it'd be your kinda buzz.

Ive been on the look out alright. Hope its a gud un.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Anybody had Sam Adams Utopia yet ?

I had a 12 pack earlier today. The bottles are awkward do chug from, otherwise pretty similar to Hackenberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭squonk

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Anybody had Sam Adams Utopia yet ?

Shots were €25 a pop in the Salt House. They only had 1 bottle and I think there were only 6 shots in a bottle so it was the rare/lucky few who got a taste. Some Americans were in and drank two shots so I don't think there was much left.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Had a few bottles of this during the week, can't claim to be a big fan, but I guess it's fine as a once off.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTekB-m8zPB3v7Hl_2PwRoujw_au9rdSXO9TxLImwQ6Zyp6ZTWS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

dan1895 wrote: »
    Tried emilesse black ipa last night. Strange but in a good way. Was on special in the porterhouse for €4. Tasty and drinkable for a 8% in my opinion.

Just tried one of these. Not impressed. I normally like hoppy beers but thought this was very unbalanced and the hops were too overbearing and bitter.

squonk wrote: »
    Shots were €25 a pop in the Salt House. They only had 1 bottle and I think there were only 6 shots in a bottle so it was the rare/lucky few who got a taste. Some Americans were in and drank two shots so I don't think there was much left.

€15.50 a shot the other day in Salt House, and it's a 710ml bottle so there are exactly 20 standard shots in a bottle, don't know where you're getting those figures from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seaneh wrote: »
    €15.50 a shot the other day in Salt House, and it's a 710ml bottle so there are exactly 20 standard shots in a bottle, don't know where you're getting those figures from.

I think ATG had the same noted on their FB page, so was also surprised to see the 6 shots per bottle comment.

Sipping on a bottle of The American Dream by Mikkeller. Very similar to Punk IPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Is the "fancy" Leann Follain widely available? Sweeney's (Glasnevin) usually my go to off licence. Anyone know if its there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Picked up 3 bottles for this evening all from Williams brothers. Grozet premium Scottish beer, "birds and bees" golden summer ale and Joker IPA.

Is the "fancy" Leann Follain widely available? Sweeney's (Glasnevin) usually my go to off licence. Anyone know if its there?

I looked/asked yesterday and they dont have it. Kev is going to mention it to finian though so maybe we will see it. Ill let you know if it pops up if you do likewise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Martin's in Marino, if it's local, had it last week.

Just saw this. Rang them, out of stock. Should be back Monday or Tuesday

Anywhere in Wexford that would have it, I'll be down there tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Gonna pop into Brewdog Manchester tomorrow afternoon :)

Had a Brain Blasta there on cask in WJ Kavanaghs. I can´t say that I´m normally a fan of it in bottled and draught form but on cask today it was absolutely delicious. Nicely hopped with some really rich toast malts and a nice alcoholic aftertaste. The head also didn´t dissipate at all as I was drinking it and gave a nice creamy contrast to the normal smooth texture. I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw it was available but I´m glad I gave it a go.

My OH had an 8 Degrees Barefoot Bohemian Pilsner. I thought it was totally average. Mildly malty; lots of carbonation; meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Slurping on Trouble's latest offering, Sabotage at the moment.

An IPA? Really??!!

Reminds me more of O'Hara's Red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

having a few tonight

brown paperbag project oxman - very nice.
    rogue chipotle ale - was expecting more of a bite from the chipotle, disappointing.
    sierra nevada bigfoot 2013 - much nicer than 2012 :)
    fyne ales zombier - nice again but nothing hugely spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Just finished my first Leffe. Lovely stuff.

having a few tonight

brown paperbag project oxman - very nice.
    rogue chipotle ale - was expecting more of a bite from the chipotle, disappointing.
    sierra nevada bigfoot 2013 - much nicer than 2012 :)
    fyne ales zombier - nice again but nothing hugely spectacular.

I never fail to be disappointed by Rogue beers. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Heroditas wrote: »
    I never fail to be disappointed by Rogue beers. :(

don't get me wrong, I love their oatmeal stout and their hazelnut nectar but was just expecting a bit more of a punch of chipotle from this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Stuck in deepest darkest Wisconsin for a few days, so going to make the most of it and sample the best craft beers on offer.

Bell's Two Hearted was lovely, but didn't pack the hop punch that I'm used to from US IPAs. Actually a very drinkable IPA. Currently enjoying a local saison, that just doesn't hit the sour notes of a Belgian saison, and is reminiscent of a weis beer.

Will be keeping an eye out for Surly Furious, which is one of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Beoir corca dhuibhe Beal ban I am not sure what to make no this.
    Found it an unusual salty taste. Thought maybe this bottle was a bad one.

I love all there other beers so will not pass judgment on this yet as maybe I got a dud.

Not many updates in this thread today. I assume everyone is out getting sozzled in the sun!
    Anyway, had a BBQ/1st birthday party yesterday and polished off in no particular order:

2 Anchor Liberty Ales
    Tempted Summer Sweet
    Antoinette cider
    Red Hook Copper Hook
    Trouble Sabotage
    Brewdog Liberty Black
    Hopside Rotator IPA

Coupled with an interrupted sleep and early rise due to a crying child, I had a fierce head on me this morning. :(

Having a Dungarvan Mahon Falls this evening. Not my cup of tea, I think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement