Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

really disliked the mahon falls alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

I tried some of the Sam Adams Summer Ale today. It was very bland in comparison to any of the Widmer Bros stuff on sale Superquinn this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mahon falls is a strange one alright. Had it out a bottle first and hated it. Tried it again on cask and i really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Mahon falls is a strange one alright. Had it out a bottle first and hated it. Tried it again on cask and i really enjoyed it.

Might be a bottling issue. I love Serra Nevada's Ruthless Rye for example.

Also, in other news, I was in the Corkscrew off-licence attached to Kennys in Lucan yesterday.
    I never knew Kennys had Sierra Nevada on tap (€4.80 a pint) and they're going through about 2 kegs a week.
    The off-licence is also in final negotiations to sell growlers of beer! Not sure if it'll be Sierra Nevada or Brewdog but they're installing a tap in the offie and will sell growlers and refill them for you. A very unique offering for an Irish off-licence. Also, their selection of beers is excellent. Spotted a few Bath beers that I haven't seen anywhere else. I might have a new local go-to place for beer if I can't drop in to Drinkstore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dead Guy Ale

Outstanding in every respect.

You need to try this if you haven't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Shipyard IPA, not very hoppy at all. It has more of a malty taste, I wouldn't recommend it as an IPA but it's a very nice beer in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Had a Proper Job last night. Quite nice IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I see L.Mulligans also doing growlers now too to take away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I see L.Mulligans also doing growlers now too to take away.

Probus on Fienian St have gotten in a tap and mentioned to someone on facebook that they would do growlers. The beer at the moment is Thornbridge Reverend and the Makers (Summer Ale), which is only ok but it's nice to see offies coming up with more options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

matrim wrote: »
    Probus on Fienian St have gotten in a tap and mentioned to someone on facebook that they would do growlers. The beer at the moment is Thornbridge Reverend and the Makers (Summer Ale), which is only ok but it's nice to see offies coming up with more options.
    Hollands out in bray do growler fills too, it's on all of their craft taps afaik. It's a great idea and shows that at least some off license's are willing to do something different.

Hollands out in bray do growler fills too, it's on all of their craft taps afaik. It's a great idea and shows that at least some off license's are willing to do something different.

Someone last week also mentioned a place in Lucan looking to do it soon too.

It's not something I've ever really looked into but how does a growler affect the taste. Would you lose any carbonation and how long would you expect the beer to last?

It loses it's carbonation quite fast in my experience, in fact you'd want to be drinking it within 60-90 minutes of opening.

I mentioned it a couple of posts up! The Corkscrew off-licence attached to Kennys in Lucan village. :D

No doubt if this takes off, we'll have reps from the LVA and VFI on the radio and in the newspapers wailing about how it's killing their industry. :rolleyes:

It loses it's carbonation quite fast in my experience, in fact you'd want to be drinking it within 60-90 minutes of opening.

I thought was asking how would tge carbonation levels last unopened say if you brought it home and opened it a few days later. I think you would want to drink any beer 60/90mins after opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

It's not something I've ever really looked into but how does a growler affect the taste. Would you lose any carbonation and how long would you expect the beer to last?

I've gotten a few growlers off a friend recently and the carbonation is lower then a bottle but it's still there even a week after one was filled. Once opened the sooner it's drank the better but I've gone back to finish it the second evening and it was flatter but it was ok. There's about 3.25 pints in one, their not that big.

Do they have the bottom filling tap that's supposed to be used for growlers or are they just trying to fill one from a regular tap?

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    I thought was asking how would tge carbonation levels last unopened say if you brought it home and opened it a few days later. I think you would want to drink any beer 60/90mins after opening

Yeah, meant the carbonation when you first open it. Also if you can close it and then reopen it the next night

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Had my first Mikkeller/Brewdog "I Hardcore You". Quite delicious actually, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've had inconsistent experiences with Brewdog's "Hardcore IPA", i.e some bottles I've enjoyed and others I've found to be a bit too much (often from the same case), but I'm sure that had more to do with my mood at the times.

I've never had any other Mikkeller beers, can anyone give any recommendations?

Turpentine wrote: »
    Had my first Mikkeller/Brewdog "I Hardcore You". Quite delicious actually, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've had inconsistent experiences with Brewdog's "Hardcore IPA", i.e some bottles I've enjoyed and others I've found to be a bit too much (often from the same case), but I'm sure that had more to do with my mood at the times.

I've never had any other Mikkeller beers, can anyone give any recommendations?

I liked it too but id go for a hardcore anyday over it. Ive only had a few mikkellers and i wont be trying anymore. Expensive and not great. I think a few hear have said the same

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Some that are worth trying in my opinion that should still be around Dublin. Haven't included any of their stouts as they are always very tasty.

Mikkeller Cream Ale
    Mikkeller Porter
    Mikkeller Årh Hvad?!
    Mikkeller Invasion Farmhouse IPA -its expensive and probably getting old for a hoppy beer
    Mikkeller Gypsy tears

I think I had a chilli porter from them before that was lovely too. Their IPA's have been very hit and miss. Also check out Nogneo beers, they are similar to Mikkeller, but less ageing of beers.

Had Franciscan Well IPA which was surprisingly good, but like somebody said here before, it had no carbonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

adamski8 wrote: »
    I liked it too but id go for a hardcore anyday over it. Ive only had a few mikkellers and i wont be trying anymore. Expensive and not great. I think a few hear have said the same

That's kind of what I was afraid of, they're very expensive to just take a chance on. Nothing worse than shelling out big money on a beer and realising you'd have probably enjoyed a can of Bavaria just as much.

Price-wise, though I enjoyed the "I Hardcore You" more than a "Hardcore IPA", I didn't enjoy it "an-extra-€2-per-330ml" more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ale Asylum - Hoppalicious
    Lovely beer, from Madison, Wisconsin. Very similar to Surly Furious. Hoppy and sweet. Top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

Originally Posted by snowblind
    Have you tried Beer Geek Breakfast?
    No not yet.
    Should I?
    Yes you have, in my house! :P Fantastically unexpected dry-hopped strong smooth rich chocolate/coffee stout with a bitter hoppy kick! Nose almost smells of grass (yes, the one you don't walk on).

BUT the second bottle I had a month or two later had almost no trace of the hops left; still a nice stout but not for the premium price! Needs to be fresh it seems. Brewed by Nogne O I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Yeah there are a group of people who are up in arms every time Mikkeller is mentioned.

When I can have a Beer Geek Breakfast for the same price as Franciscan Well Coffee Porter, I would feel like an utter fool getting the latter.

There are a lot of beers that are really pricey and I wouldn't buy anyways, Mikkeller is not the only one. A lot of Irish beers are in similar prices, but no one complains about them as much as Mikkeller. They also make a couple of my favourite beers, which are not that bad for the price really!

I just feel like I need to say this for some balance.

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Mikkeller Invasion Farmhouse IPA -its expensive and probably getting old for a hoppy beer
    And at least in Baggot Street Wines they store this in room temp!

Still the offies here often do not have fridges for hoppy beers. Baggot Street Wines actually has a bunch of fridges, but most of the hoppy beers are not even in there, mostly Irish stouts and such. I've lived under the impression since I started drinking more craft beers that IPAs store better in cold, how is it possible that the proprietors of offies with wide range of beers don't know this? Or do they just forgo reason and allocate fridge space according to brand recognition / strategies to maximize sales?

I mean I have paid 20€ for a beer before, but never an IPA, and would think buying an IPA stored in room temp for who knows how long for that money borderline insane.

invasion farmhouse was a sinker for me. beer geek breakfast on the other hand was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

In Germany the past week, so I've been spoiled by many delicious cheap beers.

Hacker-Pschorr Helles and Berliner Kindl Jubilaeums among the favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

boardsy wrote: »
    Originally Posted by snowblind
    Have you tried Beer Geek Breakfast?

Yes you have, in my house! :P Fantastically unexpected dry-hopped strong smooth rich chocolate/coffee stout with a bitter hoppy kick! Nose almost smells of grass (yes, the one you don't walk on).

BUT the second bottle I had a month or two later had almost no trace of the hops left; still a nice stout but not for the premium price! Needs to be fresh it seems. Brewed by Nogne O I think?

I have it stuck in my head that that was a different beer.
    I guess not. Yeah, twas great.

I have it stuck in my head that that was a different beer.
    I guess not. Yeah, twas great.
    That must have been beer HOP breakfast actually. Beer Geek Breakfast is a big & smooth coffee/oatmeal stout, the HOP is a variation with a more of a hop kick. I did like that one too, but I'd still rate it behind Beer Geek Brunch and Beer Geek Breakfast....

snowblind wrote: »
    When I can have a Beer Geek Breakfast for the same price as Franciscan Well Coffee Porter, I would feel like an utter fool getting the latter.

Not saying one is better than the other but BGB is 33cl and FW CP is 50cl.

Anyway, I'm sick to my back teeth of porter/stout with or without coffee or chilli or milk or oats. Just tired of them.

I don't claim that Mikkeller beers are bad - just so often disappointing and a tad expensive. He often has great ideas for beers, I just find the execution is often a bit lacking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

He often has great ideas for beers, I just find the execution is often a bit lacking.
    From what I've tasted on the continent, I think we get the dregs of Mikkeller over here, and overcharged for the privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Nøgne Ø Havre Stout. Definitely the worst I've had from Nøgne, and certainly not worth the premium price. Someone said recently that Nøgne tend to perfect particular styles, which is true in most cases but this one is a terrible effort.

All the usual stout flavours are there but they are lost behind a ridiculous amount of carbonation. It almost like drinking a can of coke. There's also a real dry chalkiness from the over carbonation. Bit of a bottle bomb too.

Crazy to think I could've bought 3 bottles of Leann Folláin for what I paid for this.

As someone else mentioned earlier, it's starting to get a little wearisome paying a premium for certain beers that don't match the price tag.

From what I've tasted on the continent, I think we get the dregs of Mikkeller over here, and overcharged for the privilege.
    Do you know why somewhere as close as London gets a wider variety of Mikkeller beers, ones from Evil Twin brewing, and even stuff from Stone Brewing/Alesmith ?

Are FourCorners just not interested ? I'd assume if we can get Mikkeller here that we'd get the same range that London does(excluding extreme rarities)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Having a kindred spirit!:)
    Really wish I had more IPAs and pale ales in this Weather

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Do you know why somewhere as close as London gets a wider variety of Mikkeller beers, ones from Evil Twin brewing, and even stuff from Stone Brewing/Alesmith ?

Are FourCorners just not interested ? I'd assume if we can get Mikkeller here that we'd get the same range that London does(excluding extreme rarities)
    AFAIK Stone is available in UK through their dealings with Brewdog. I was told by the dude in Drinkstore that there was going to be a Brewdog pub in Dublin, and that would have meant Stone beers for Ireland too, but that was like 18 months ago or something so maybe it's just not happening after all...

I'd love to get beers like the Bear Republic beers and other imports UK get, but the Irish market seems to just be small in comparison. As in many other consumables, it often feels like we only get stuff that trickles down when the UK market is already somewhat saturated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

In this heat I'm swapping between Ginger Joe and Lindeman's Kriek with loads of ice. The sour cherry flavour in Lindeman's is surprisingly refreshing, excellent summer tipple.

Had BrewDog Ten Heads High last night.
    Even by BD's standards, this is a full on beer.
    I'm pretty sure that I liked it a lot but will have to sample again to make sure:D
    They call it a Imperial Red Ale.
    It's like a seriously pimped up 5AM saint - almost too much but not!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had BrewDog Ten Heads High last night.
    Even by BD's standards, this is a full on beer.
    I'm pretty sure that I liked it a lot but will have to sample again to make sure:D
    They call it a Imperial Red Ale.
    It's like a seriously pimped up 5AM saint - almost too much but not!;)

Is that just a rebranded "Hops Kill All Nazis" or a different beer?

Loosely based on our 2011 Prototype beer Hops Kill Nazis, 10 Heads High is a 7.8% Imperial Red Ale loaded with American Hops. Think of it as an Imperial India Red Ale or a super-charged version of 5am Saint.
    I loved Hops Kills, wasn't blown away by 10 Heads High, weird if they are supposed to be similar :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone had krusovice before? 4 for 10 in my local supervalue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Had London Pride on cask in Against the Grain on Saturday, really enjoyed it. Great beer in bottle but possibly bettered on cask.

Also tried Kentucky IPA which was delicious.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just enjoying birds and bees golden summer ale by Williams brothers. Only 4.3% but very refreshing after an evening of gardening.

To ol ipa. Very nice ipa if expensive. Maybe a tad too much harsh after bitterness. quite smooth

I was really enjoying a bottle of Franciscan Well IPA until I kicked a half full glass of it over. :(

Now having a Widmer Brothers Nelson Imperial IPA. Super stuff. I'm going to make sure I don't spill this one. :)

Got my hands on 2 bottles of the Barrel Aged Leann Follain

Really looking forward to trying it (hopefully Saturday)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Got my hands on 2 bottles of the Barrel Aged Leann Follain

Really looking forward to trying it (hopefully Saturday)

It can't be got in Limerick. :( Where are people buying this?

• Advertisement

It can't be got in Limerick. :( Where are people buying this?

Dublin for me, Martins in Fairview to be precise.

Dublin for me, Martins in Fairview to be precise.

Drinkstore in Stoneybatter are also stocking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

O'Hara's Red and Proper Job go very well together.

Not TOGETHER, but one after the other... ;)

Had a Nogneo Two Captains, have said it before, but probably the best DIPA out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have a bottle of Sam Adams Utopia in the boot of my car. I nearly accidentally opened it yesterday as it's for a customer. :eek:

Scores 100 on Ratebeer so seriously good. It's off on it's way to the Townhouse Bar in Galway.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-adams-utopias/12228/

It has a # number on its base so you know it's production number but it's the bottle that's amazing to even look at. Looks like a Large Industrial Brewing Vat with a moveable window on the front where the Brewers signature is behind. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement