Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Came across this in Drinkstore last night so a bottle was duly purchased.

2013-06-12_11.16.08.jpg

It's more so a traditional English bitter than an IPA as we'd be used to with Hooker or O'Hara's IPA. It's first try for me was a bit too over hopped for it's otherwise mildly malted nature. However 3-4 bottles of it and I'd see myself get used to this sleeper; come the last mouthfuls I was already warming to it. Definitely worth a go IMO.

Its a Blonde Ale, not a Bitter. Both Hooker and O'Haras Pale are Pale Ales, not IPAs.

The Oakham Citra is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

drumswan wrote: »
    Both Hooker and O'Haras Pale are Pale Ales, not IPAs.

Debatable.
    Both are marketed as Irish Pale Ale - IPA
    This is a deliberate blurring of the lines, IMO and the lines between an India Pale Ale and an Irish Pale Ale are very blurred indeed. To confuse things further, US IPAs are totally different to UK IPAs. All very fuzzy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Debatable.
    Both are marketed as Irish Pale Ale - IPA
    This is a deliberate blurring of the lines, IMO and the lines between an India Pale Ale and an Irish Pale Ale are very blurred indeed. To confuse things further, US IPAs are totally different to UK IPAs. All very fuzzy!

Beer definitions are generally very blurry. I only ever use them as a guide.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Just wait till somebody gets into the old porter/stout debate again :(

Is Drinkstore the only place in Dublin that has Oakham beers ? I had heard of them before but didn't expect to see them stocked here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Beer definitions are generally very blurry. I only ever use them as a guide.

Only coming to this now and this point pretty much expresses my thinking when I posted yesterday. What it reminded me of was more so an classic bitter but I wasn't going to pigeon hole it into any genre. An IPA it is not but a blonde, maybe.

ASJ, yer man in Drinkstore hadn't tried it but if anywhere else Redmonds may have it as well.

• Advertisement

Only coming to this now and this point pretty much expresses my thinking when I posted yesterday. What it reminded me of was more so an classic bitter but I wasn't going to pigeon hole it into any genre. An IPA it is not but a blonde, maybe.

ASJ, yer man in Drinkstore hadn't tried it but if anywhere else Redmonds may have it as well.

Afaik Bitter & IPA can be interchangeable in England, Bitter being the draught version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Since it was in O'Briens, I picked up a Mikkeller "The American". Good beer. Not €4 good.

Anybody been in Cassidy's on West moreland street, saw on twitter that they have To Ol on tap ? Any idea of what they have on tap and what the cost is usually ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Anybody been in Cassidy's on West moreland street, saw on twitter that they have To Ol on tap ? Any idea of what they have on tap and what the cost is usually ?
    brew dock have had To Øl on tap before. if i remember correctly it was First Frontier IPA so Cassidys probably have the same as it would be all imported by the same importer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Going to be drinking in a brewdog bar next few nights. Yum Yum!!

• Advertisement

Going to be drinking in a brewdog bar next few nights. Yum Yum!!

Their pizzas are lovely too! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

As Creamy Goodness guessed, they have First Frontier IPA on at the minute.

Had a Citrus Hystrix IPA by Nøgne Ø in Cassidy's the other day but can't say I enjoyed it. Was far too much spicy maltyness going on for my liking.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Had a Citrus Hystrix IPA by Nøgne Ø in Cassidy's the other day but can't say I enjoyed it. Was far too much spicy maltyness going on for my liking.

I really really liked it. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Afaik Bitter & IPA can be interchangeable in England, Bitter being the draught version.

That's bitter and pale ale.

Now I think I'll slowly back away from a style guideline conversation.... :cool:

noby wrote: »
    That's bitter and pale ale.

Now I think I'll slowly back away from a style guideline conversation.... :cool:

Ahh, I knew it was one or t'other. But that said, it's difficult to distinguish a Pale Ale and an IPA from each other at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Barrel aged Leann Follain was a huge let down. The standard caramel/whiskey barrel taste felt like tacked on and the beer felt like it lacked body to support that anyways. It tasted almost like a watery beer mixed with whiskey and additives. And the standard Llean Follain is my favourite Irish beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

snowblind wrote: »
    Barrel aged Leann Follain was a huge let down. The standard caramel/whiskey barrel taste felt like tacked on and the beer felt like it lacked body to support that anyways. It tasted almost like a watery beer mixed with whiskey and additives. And the standard Llean Follain is my favourite Irish beer!

It definitely lacked body IMO

Thought it was nice but nowhere near worth the price

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

It definitely lacked body IMO

Thought it was nice but nowhere near worth the price
    I had much higher hopes, wish they would have put out small bottles instead. Kindred Spirit & Celebration Stout Barrel Aged are way nicer IMO. Also, cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Is Drinkstore the only place in Dublin that has Oakham beers ? I had heard of them before but didn't expect to see them stocked here.

SuperValu on Aston Quay had the Oakham Ales 'Citra' and 'Bishop's Farewell'. The Citra is delicious but the last time I was in that Super Valu, which was about 10 days ago, it was all gone.

I had a bottle of the Bishop's Farewell last night and really enjoyed it. It almost tasted like it was from a cask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Hoppelhammer by The Whitewater Brewing Company...not over impressed :( Sierra Nevada Torpedo being my go-to beverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Hoppelhammer by The Whitewater Brewing Company...not over impressed :(

I wasn't impressed by this either. I didn't find it as hoppy as the name would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Hoppelhammer is a let down if you're expecting a hop-bomb (which is totally understandable, given the name). For some reason though, I knew it wasn't going to be that, so I enjoyed it quite a lot. Sure, it's not got the extreme bitterness you look for in a strong(ish) IPA, but the flavours were quite beautiful. If it was called something else, I think people would have reacted much better to it IMO

Just opened a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, not keen on it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Very nice, dry Belgian golden ale.
    Reminds me a bit of Westie Blonde or Goose Island Sofie.
    Some very interesting Belgians in The Abbot's, Cork atm

5pxVB5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

YRH0TzZ.jpg

While waiting for the train to the tube to the tube to the airport to the plane to the car to the folks. Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Top notch IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Old Dan. 7.4% and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Really enjoying a de struise pannepot ATM. Really rich flavour, very like westvleteren 12 from memory anyway...will have to taste them side by side... Having their blonde next then a Hopus fresh hop...nice night in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ronan cork wrote: »
    Really enjoying a de struise pannepot ATM. Really rich flavour, very like westvleteren 12 from memory anyway...will have to taste them side by side... Having their blonde next then a Hopus fresh hop...nice night in!

Shared a bottle of De Struise's "Black Albert" Imperial Stout yesterday with a few of the lads in Salt House. Top class stuff, super brewery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Speaking of imperials stouts, I had a bottle of Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout last night. It nearly blew my head off, but in the nicest way possible!

Lesson learned: stout doesn't make for good post-football refreshment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

On the stout theme, I've some liquorice stout that I picked in Denmark. Not sure if I should crack it open this weekend or wait until the temps drop.

Just opened a bottle of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, not keen on it so far

Mother's milk...I love it, I tend to like barley wines in general though :eek:

M & S Greenwich Red Ale. It's brewed by Meantime and comes in a 750ml corked Champagne style bottle.

Very smooth and quaffable beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Picked up a few Sunburnt Irish red, Innis & Gunn original, Sierra Nevada pale ale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

M & S Greenwich Red Ale. It's brewed by Meantime and comes in a 750ml corked Champagne style bottle.

Tell me more.

• Advertisement

St bernardus 12, really liked it, still haven't found a better Belgian then westy 12 though. Also had a bottle of palm, definition of meh. My missus reckoned it just tasted watery

stuchyg wrote: »
    Tell me more.

:)

On further drinking its very similar to a less in your face 5am. Piny, resinous hops with a roasty sweet malty backbone. Very impressed with it. Think it was around the 7/8 euro mark. It's also included in their 6 for 5 offer, would make a nice gift for a beer lover.

:)

On further drinking its very similar to a less in your face 5am. Piny, resinous hops with a roasty sweet malty backbone. Very impressed with it. Think it was around the 7/8 euro mark. It's also included in their 6 for 5 offer, would make a nice gift for a beer lover.

At that price though you would be better off with meantime IPA which is a lovely brew imo

stuchyg wrote: »
    At that price though you would be better off with meantime IPA which is a lovely brew imo

From what I can remember, I'm not a fan. Generally not a fan of their beers.

I didn't like Meantime's IPA either. Interesting to see M+S getting into the craft beer market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

sounds very nice, what M & S you get it from.

blueshed wrote: »
    sounds very nice, what M & S you get it from.

Liffey Valley

Widmer Brothers Nelson Imperial IPA, robust hop flavour & aroma with a malty sweetness & at 8.6% definately a sipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Had a few Sunburnt Irish red last evening. I was very impressed. Lovely colour, great head and very pleasant to the taste with no undesired after taste. Will try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Secret des Moines Triple.

Very pleasant, if a little lacking spiciness/bite for a triple. Very close to Duvel in taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Trying some Five Lanps Craft Lager (to give it its full name) . Brewed in Dublin. Not bad at all.

Opened the first bottle of my latest batch of homebrew imperial stout, well pleased with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Opened the first bottle of my latest batch of homebrew imperial stout, well pleased with it.

Looks nice but thats a really annoying photo to look at on a phone. Stupid auto-rotation

matrim wrote: »
    Looks nice but thats a really annoying photo to look at on a phone. Stupid auto-rotation

Sorry about that, photo uploaded from my phone on the touch site, my laptops dead.
    Tasty beer though, tastes of chocolate, hint of coffee and nice flavours from Jameson and oak chips. I was planning on saving it for Christmas but that's a long time away...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I see we're still talking about black drinks! Which is good, because I finally got around to trying the Nøgne Ø Porter. Pours lovely, very smooth, pleasant aroma. Reminded me a lot of a Franciscan Well's coffee stout (from the keg).

I know it's 7% ABV, but the alcohol content is nice and subtle. Very nice. Shame it's €7.00 a bottle. The favourite stout/porter experiment continues. As far as bottles go, 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter is ahead of Leann Folláin by a nose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement