Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Had an O'Hara's Pale Ale on cask last night. Lovely stuff

Picked up a few Leann Follain in the Dunnes 5 for €10 offer today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Seems I can't talk an pick beer at the same time. Thought I picked up Trouble Sabotage but it was Dark Arts.

Sitting here loving it but hating that I picked up the wrong bottle.

Also got a Hopplehammer to try. Seems the reviews above aren't anything special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Barry from Maguire's in Athlone making me want to think of an excuse to visit home... the hoor.
    Maguire's wrote: »
    First Sierra Nevada Hoptimum in Ireland!
    Just landed at Maguire's

1001084_349766375153607_897632314_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Seaneh wrote: »
    <3 Fullers London Porter.

Nomnomnomnom

That´s really good stuff, alright. Tesco have it in their offer at the moment, as you no doubt saw. Bit steep at the normal price of €3 maybe but that doesn´t make it any less delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Barry from Maguire's in Athlone making me want to think of an excuse to visit home... the hoor.

1001084_349766375153607_897632314_n.jpg

I have one of those sitting in the fridge!

So far tonight I've had a Pabst... for the craic.
    Now I'm having a Sly Fox 113 IPA.
    Went silly in Drinkstore today but, hey, it's the August Bank Holiday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Anyone come across Baile pale ale before? Just arrived in my offie when I was there so added a bottle to my selection.

To answer my own question, I found it bland. Drinking a hoptimum now and it's delicious. Only bought one and am regretting it

quinnp wrote: »

Picked up some Fullers 'London Pride' ale today on the €2 Dunnes deal.

Anyone tried it? I was quite impressed by their 'India Pale Ale'.

London Pride is a very nice bitter. It was the first decent beer I tried, really.

Last summer I stocked up on the cans they had for 50c in Tesco. It was a great couple of months.

I like most of the Fullers range really. Bengal Lancer is a lot nicer than their regular IPA. Check that out if you ever see it. ESB is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Audible ale by red hook. Bog standard APA to tell the truth.

Chimay red now, worst of the Friday night Belgians of the last month or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Heroditas wrote: »
    I have one of those sitting in the fridge!

So far tonight I've had a Pabst... for the craic.
    Now I'm having a Sly Fox 113 IPA.
    Went silly in Drinkstore today but, hey, it's the August Bank Holiday! :D

What do you think of the fox? I thought it was way too strong on the alcohol (7%) but the next day i thought it was much better. Good 330ml can to bring into a gig/match etc

• Advertisement

Really liked it. Didn't even notice the alcohol content.
    Quite malty though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Picked up the Barrel Aged Lean Follain tonight. I'll keep that one aside. Also, Fransiscan Well coffee porter, a Gulden Drak, a Mountain Man green bullet and finally a Kona coffee porter, which I have open now. It's delicious. That's two out of two for Kona with me. I must try the rest of the 'Aloha series'.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Just had a 'Dead Pony Club' and also a 'Hurricane Jack' by Fyne Ales; both are similar, to my mind anyway - would probably plump for the Hurricane.........enjoyed both quite a bit though.

Just had a SN pale, if I had to drink one beer for the rest of my life it would be this, never let's me down

A_Fitz wrote: »
    Just had a 'Dead Pony Club' and also a 'Hurricane Jack' by Fyne Ales; both are similar, to my mind anyway - would probably plump for the Hurricane.........enjoyed both quite a bit though.

I find Hurricane Jack to be much fresher in flavour than Dead Pony Club. The latter is quite nice but it has a kind of resin-like quality to the hops. Hurricane Jack is crisper too. Must get another bottle of that one of these days.

Gulden-Draak.jpg

The Gulden Draak has some great flavours going on. It's just very strong, and took me a little time to get used to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

21st Ammendments black IPA: Back in Black. Lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Had a Mikkeler Gypsy Tears last night, it's absolutely delicious. Really complex flavours of vanilla, cherry, cocoa, lovely bitterness from the roasted malts.

Red Wine Barrel aged ale.

BQxwHWeCIAAYwfE.jpg:small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Yeah its an amazing beer, Mikkeller do a lot of aging of beers, wonder if we will get other nice ones in the future.

Anybody tried Odells Deconstruction ale ? Its aged in red wine barrels too, but is rather expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Had a Mikkeler Gypsy Tears last night, it's absolutely delicious. Really complex flavours of vanilla, cherry, cocoa, lovely bitterness from the roasted malts.

I have dithered about buying that beer for ages. That description will have me nipping down to the ol in 5 mins

The Franciscan Well Coffee Porter is nice. Strong coffee taste isn't letting me the porter have much identity, but it's a pleasant drink, all the same.

• Advertisement

Have heard a few people on here complain about consistency in some beers but the only one I've had a bad batch of is Knockmealdown (spelling?) Porter. While its a gorgeous beer one bottle I got a while back fizzed up like someone had put sherbet in it & one I had last night just tasted like it had died a long time ago

On the plus side Howling Gale Ale was nice enough (but wouldn't touch a few of the other Ales I've tried) & another lad had nothing but good to say about the Sunburnt Red

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Just trying Young's Double Chocolate Stout for the first time. Really enjoying it.

The smell is a rich chocolate, with fruity hops, but perhaps my nose is blocked as it is very faint. I ended up dipping my nose into it accidentally trying to get closer and closer for a good whiff. Very dark stout, slight reddish tint, beige head which started big as a stout should, but receded very quickly. Good bit of lacing.

The first taste I got from drinking it was coffee, very pleasant and strong, with a taste of real dark chocolate coming in almost straight away. Very smooth, though slightly watery - it wouldn't be as stout as the likes of Beamish, but it's not so watery that it's just like any porter; it is a stout.

At the beginning, I could feel a lot of carbonation, but that subsided straight away. There's a very gentle tickle of carbonation.

It's a good kind of creamy, as you'd expect from a stout as opposed to some English bitters. Chocolatey finish. Not much of a boozey taste. (Edit: I actually quite like a bit of a boozey taste, but with this it did not take away from it that there was none)

It even leaves a lovely taste to the belch after... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah i think thats one of the breweries most people mention as inconsistant. I concur.

I find 8degrees beers to be messively hit and miss, and yeah I've had a few bottles of Knockmealdown explode on me as well, nothing worse than opening a bottle and losign 50% before you can even pour the ****ing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I must be very lucky, because I drink a lot of 8 Degrees and have never had a bottle bomb. I did get two sour bottled of Barefoot Bohemian mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I got one theirs called Brunch Weasel made from coffee beans sh*t out by a civet. Didn't realise it cost $12 until afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bottle bombs tend to happen when you leave the beer on its side in the fridge.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Bottle bombs tend to happen when you leave the beer on its side in the fridge.

Both were beers that were stored upright, infact, both had been sitting on a counter for most of the day, I don't like my stouts or porters to be cold so I usually just leave them out, or atleast for the last 45 minuites before drinking.

Popped the cap and the thing just started and kept fizzing for the next 5 minuts, it had nothing to do with storage, it was just a bad bottle.

Checked the date on them too, both well before their best before dates.

I've also had Howling Gale that tasted infected and Sunburnt Irish Red that was completely flat.

I have very little confidence in 8degrees these days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have very little confidence in 8degrees these days.

Could it be a transport thing? I've never had a bad bottle from them in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I find Hurricane Jack to be much fresher in flavour than Dead Pony Club. The latter is quite nice but it has a kind of resin-like quality to the hops. Hurricane Jack is crisper too. Must get another bottle of that one of these days.

Ya, agreed, it's definitely fresher tasting and slightly fruitier than DPC. Had another bottle of DPC last night and found that there was an unpleasantly bitter aftertaste from it - sort of like the powdery taste you get from a paracetamol or something like that.

• Advertisement

Could it be a transport thing? I've never had a bad bottle from them in Limerick.

I'm not that much further up the road though, in fairness.

I don't know what it is to be honest.

It's entirely possible they were just old bottles or something, but they were all inside their best before.

It's a pity though, I do genuinely like Knockmealdown but I won't be buying bottles of it anymore.

Still gladly drink it from tap if I was in a pub selling it.

Having a Fullers Winter Ale this evening.

Disaster with my one totel of Hoptimum last night. My mate was over for a bite to eat.
    I came downstairs from putting the little one to bed and he was sipping a beer. Went into the kitchen to find an empty bottle of Hoptimum on the counter but there was a Sierra Nevada carrier with a few of their beers in the fridge.
    "Nice one," I thought "he brought some too"
    Opened the fridge and couldn't find my own bottle.
    Went into the living room where my wife cheerily said "I just told him to take whatever he wanted"

Him -> :D

Me -> :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heroditas wrote: »
    Having a Fullers Winter Ale this evening.

Disaster with my one totel of Hoptimum last night. My mate was over for a bite to eat.
    I came downstairs from putting the little one to bed and he was sipping a beer. Went into the kitchen to find an empty bottle of Hoptimum on the counter but there was a Sierra Nevada carrier with a few of their beers in the fridge.
    "Nice one," I thought "he brought some too"
    Opened the fridge and couldn't find my own bottle.
    Went into the living room where my wife cheerily said "I just told him to take whatever he wanted"

Him -> :D

Me -> :mad:

Ha! Disaster.

Although he's got good taste.

Had a bottle of it last night, beautiful beer, extremely complex.

I didn't like it on first taste, seemed so full on and harsh, but it settles down into a thing of beauty.

St Peter's organic ale, reminds of the o Shea aldi pale. Was on special in tesco for 1.70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

some for the bankholiday weekend...

265650.JPG

and

265651.JPG

Bloody Dunnes & their 5 for €10 offer. Said no beer Sunday or Monday but its rude not to stick 5 Leann Follain into the trolley when doing your shopping!

On my 3rd here. Oh dear god......

Edit: Hoptimum seems to be beer of the month, I'll get some for next weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Came home to find my oul lad had a few mayo friends over after the match. My stash of kindred spirit along with my gypsy tears has been seriously reduced. :(

Ah well it's a few more who I've converted from Guinness. :)

Doggie style, reminds me v much of brewdogs punk

stuchyg wrote: »
    Doggie style, reminds me v much of brewdogs punk

Their raging bitch is top notch stuff as well

• Advertisement

Lads any advice appreciated.
    Heading to Paris tomorrow and the street I'm staying on is near le cave a bulles which is meant to be a great offlicence.
    What I'm looking for is recommendations for one or two French beers to buy and bring back.
    They sell a lot of cantillons range but is their any French beers that are worth buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Based on reviews from this thread, I've picked up a few beers to try - 3 Leann Follain, 1 Curim and 1 dry hopped Pale Ale in the dunnes 5 for €10 offer, 1 Galway Hooker Pale Ale (saucy enough at €3.29 so I hope it's worth it!), 1 Youngs Double Chocolate Stout and purely at random, 1 O'Haras Stout. Gonna be a merry few evenings this week as I've still some howling gale and kindred spirit to go through!

RE bad batches of 8 degrees beer, I've been drinking their beers for about 4 months now and have yet to have a bad experience, the only issue I've had was a bottle of HG chipped at the top when I was opening it but thankfully the chip landed on the counter and not in the bottle :o

Please stop posting pictures of Hoptimum. :mad:

Anyway, there's a bottle of Old Rosie and a Theakstons in the fridge.
    Probably going to have one or the other later.

Also, off to Cornwall on Thursday for the holidays. Pasties and cider for 10 days!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Scortho wrote: »
    What I'm looking for is recommendations for one or two French beers to buy and bring back.
    Mont Salève makes some great beers, especially their paler ones. But I'd say the shop staff are the ones to ask -- apparently they know their stuff in there. Happy hunting!

BeerNut wrote: »
    Mont Salève makes some great beers, especially their paler ones. But I'd say the shop staff are the ones to ask -- apparently they know their stuff in there. Happy hunting!

Cheers ill keep an eye out for it. Might not be able to bring them back as I'd planned due to liquids and hand luggage rule.
    Oh well I'll just make sure to drink them over there. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tried Hoptimum last night in ATG, my god it is a tasty beer. That said I paid €9 for it so it would want to be!

They had Proper Job on cask too which was delicious.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Strange to hear so much about 8 Degrees, they've been nothing but fantastic in my experience (I've had a LOT of their beer). Maybe because I'm in Cork it's fresher or something? IDK

Eventually got around to getting a Trouble Sabotage IPA, not a bad beer but reminded me more of the amber beers you get in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Had an Andechs vollbier hell just now that was amazingly like the can of jupiler I had before it, just a little less thirst quenching TBH. Bit of a let down considering the hype, not that being like jupiler is a bad thing!
    Also had a hanssens Oude Kriek which is hands down the sourest Kriek I've had! Made the lemon face after every delicious sip!
    Anyone had Rodenbach caractere rouge? Only have the one large bottle so trying to decide how special an occasion I need to open it!

Whitewaters Hopplehammer after seeing all the "meh" reviews on here I was worried it was going to be terrible.
    It wasn't that bad in my opinion.

Had a slight sweet taste like dried fruit and a hint of caramel.
    Not too hoppy but its there you can feel it with a hint of grapefruit kinda finish.

I was surprised it was 6% too.

Not a bad beer and I think would be great on a hot summers day.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Whitewaters Hopplehammer after seeing all the "meh" reviews on here I was worried it was going to be terrible.
    It wasn't that bad in my opinion.

Had a slight sweet taste like dried fruit and a hint of caramel.
    Not too hoppy but its there you can feel it with a hint of grapefruit kinda finish.

I was surprised it was 6% too.

Not a bad beer and I think would be great on a hot summers day.

I really like it to be honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement