Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Enjoying a few pints of Rua by Bru, it's not bad, quite tasty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

drumswan wrote: »
    Fullers IPA is an alias for Fullers Bengal Lancer afaik.

Different beers.

Most likely as there is a Franciscan Well stout aged in Jameson barrels out at the moment too.

IDL aren't really all that easy to get barrels from and when they do give them they insist on the name of their products being used in the marketing.

My guess is the O'Hara's came from one of the Cooley products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm enjoying some Westvleteren xii that I have been ageing for a couple if years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Just had a flying Scotsman bitter , nice
    And opening a deuchars ipa

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Heikki

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Basically every week or 2 I try at new beer/ale that I never had before.

This week my local is stocking a few beers from Marstons brewery.

I am at the moment trying their Old Empire IPA. Very nice indeed.

Anyone else do something similar?:confused:
    That's cool

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

3 IPAs ordered from and delivered by the Drink Store.

8 Degrees Cyclone and Hurricane were both very enjoyable. I couldn't really tell them apart, to be honest.

Followed them up with Sierra Nevada Hoptimum. I had no idea it was 10.4% abv. until I saw it written on the bottle. Beautiful beer. I'll need to find somewhere to buy it in Limerick. Best of the lot tonight anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Brewdog Goulding. Another non event beer. Wouldn't drink it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Is that 2 of the 4 IPA is Dead series you've drunk now ciaran ? If so, save yourself some money and don't bother with the other two. What a disappointment they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guessing they were bought in the 4-pack so he won't save any money :pac:

i had both the ipa is dead 2012 and 2013 within the same weekend (bought the 2012 and forgot about it until the 2013 came out) and even after its best before the 2012 was miles better in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

8 Degrees Howling Gale

260x510_p1371559541990_bs4joy8lfvygapqrvbj2altxsjllfxvygi9qhbnlx-s.jpg

Just a hint of fruitiness, malty, light bodied. Tasty.

jsa112 wrote: »
    Is that 2 of the 4 IPA is Dead series you've drunk now ciaran ? If so, save yourself some money and don't bother with the other two. What a disappointment they were.

Yeah bought the 4 pack. Not looking forward to trying the last 2.

Bronx Pale ale another middle of the road pale ale. Quite light with a slight bitterness at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oskar Blues - Old Chub Scotch Ale. Really nice beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Galway Bay Buried At Sea arrived at my local offie. Tasty stuff. The first sip was very bitter, but it's relaxed now and I'm enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Bronx Pale ale another middle of the road pale ale. Quite light with a slight bitterness at the end.

Yeah, not worth writing home about. I tried Indiga IPA by Lost Coast Brewery from Northern California, better than average.

Ipso wrote: »
    Yeah, not worth writing home about. I tried Indiga IPA by Lost Coast Brewery from Northern California, better than average.

Lost Coast make some great beers. Where did you get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Lost Coast do a fantastic beer called "Great White Beer".

When I'm in the states I drink it by the gallon and I'd love to see it here (provided its not prohibitively priced).

In the supermarket inthe states it runs at about $4.50 for a 16 ounce bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

In the Land of the Lagers now, will be for the forseeable future.

Anyone have any particular recommendations for something different, besides the standard pils (which I DO enjoy)? First on my agenda are the Oktoberfest beers and Leipziger Gose (straight from the brewery)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In the Land of the Lagers now, will be for the forseeable future.

I mis-read that and started to write about good Cork beers. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I mis-read that and started to write about good Cork beers. :pac:

Haha, I'm FROM the Land of the Langers, so I know em all!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone have any particular recommendations for something different
    Assuming Germany, I'm a huge fan of Bamberg rauchbiers and Schlenkerla's Märzen and Eiche Doppelbock in particular. Lots of great stuff in the Schneider wheat beer range: Taps 4, 5 and 6 especially. If you find yourself craving American-style big hops, you might be able to get hold of the Hopfenstopfer range from Häffner in Bad Rappenau, but I don't know how wide their distribution goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I tried a bottle of Hilden's Headless Dog last night. But when I looked for it on Beer Advocate it was listed as being brewed by College Green Brewery, not Hilden. So what's the relationship between Hilden and College Green?

ThirdMan wrote: »
    what's the relationship between Hilden and College Green?
    They're both Hilden really. College Green was intended as a satellite brewery but it never got built. College Green beers have always been brewed at Hilden. It looks like they're now integrating the CG range into Hilden's main line-up: Belfast Blonde and Headless Dog used to be CG but are now Hilden-branded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're both Hilden really. College Green was intended as a satellite brewery but it never got built. College Green beers have always been brewed at Hilden. It looks like they're now integrating the CG range into Hilden's main line-up: Belfast Blonde and Headless Dog used to be CG but are now Hilden-branded.

I thought college green was the brewery ran by one of hildens children?

• Advertisement

Nope. Eoin took over Hilden Brewery from his father Seamus, around the time College Green was set up IIRC. The College Green brewkit was supposed to go in the Molly's Yard restaurant, which they also own, but there wasn't space.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Had one of these this weekend. Very nice.

P1010008+%282%29.JPG

Seaneh wrote: »
    Lost Coast make some great beers. Where did you get it?

At the local Safeway in the San Francisco East Bay, they have a good selection. Apparently another supermarket called Wholefoods nearby stock Pliny.

seanmacc wrote: »
    Lost Coast do a fantastic beer called "Great White Beer".

When I'm in the states I drink it by the gallon and I'd love to see it here (provided its not prohibitively priced).

In the supermarket inthe states it runs at about $4.50 for a 16 ounce bottle.

That sounds familiar, I think I've seen it. I'll check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

At the local Safeway in the San Francisco East Bay, they have a good selection. Apparently another supermarket called Wholefoods nearby stock Pliny.

Lucky you. Try City Beer or Healthy Spirits if you get a chance.

For pints, Toronado or The Monks Kettle. I hear theres a Mikkeller bar there now too.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Lucky you. Try City Beer or Healthy Spirits if you get a chance.

For pints, Toronado or The Monks Kettle. I hear theres a Mikkeller bar there now too.

Thanks looks like they have a good selection. Tornado is innHaight-Ashebury isn't it? There is a place called Murio's there which also has a good selection.

Wholefoods is a chain that have outlets in several states, I'd say it's just the few stores near Santa Rosa that have Pliny, still, nice fecking find if they have it!

Loved the Galway Bay Red Ale, but the Stormy Port Porter didn't impress me.

I am in the US again tried a drop of Moonshine. Its rank I almost got sick it was that bad.
    Smelled terrible too.

You can buy it in some liquor stores now in certain states.

Brewdog Electric India. Really nice, and interesting beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Yeah its a super beer, would be worth adding to their core range.

Got to try some new ones lately, bit hit and miss.

Rogue's Double chocolate stout - really excellent, cant think of many better stouts

Brewdog Dog Wired - poor, it has this weird initial taste similar to bacon(but not in a good way)

Hardknott beers - they weren't up to much, average IPAs. Their infrared was so carbonated it was hard to get the actual flavour from it. Although their Queboid, a "Belgique" 8% IPA is quite interesting, I'd recommend that as it was not like any other IPAs i've tried

Has anyone had an IPA called Jai Alai? It's from a Florida based brewer called Cigar Brewing Co.
    It got some good write ups on beeradvocate.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Brewdog Electric India. Really nice, and interesting beer.

I thought it was pretty ****e to be honest.

I thought it was pretty ****e to be honest.

You're not really a fan of Brewdog though. ;)

I also had the last bottle of Galway Bay that I bought, the Stormy Port Porter. Another carbonation disaster. :rolleyes: Getting past the flatness of this one, I wasn't really a fan of the taste. I got that boot polish taste again that I got from the Buried at Sea. I think it could've also done with being a bit sweeter.

So out of the 4 beers that I bought, only one of them was any way up to standard, the Full Sail, which was actually really really nice. Just a pity that they made such an unholy mess of the bottling.

I've never had Galway Bays on tap, but yeah, that porter is certainly not nice from the bottle anyway.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had an IPA called Jai Alai? It's from a Florida based brewer called Cigar Brewing Co.
    I liked it, but it's not life-changing or anything.

You're not really a fan of Brewdog though

That's not true. I like their core range a lot. 5am is one of my favorite beers and I love both punk, hardcore and dead pony club.

The last few I've had from them have been crap though. Jack hammer is horrible after a few sips and I just found electric India managed to combine the worst parts of two styles rather than the best.

You're not really a fan of Brewdog though. ;)

I also had the last bottle of Galway Bay that I bought, the Stormy Port Porter. Another carbonation disaster. :rolleyes: Getting past the flatness of this one, I wasn't really a fan of the taste. I got that boot polish taste again that I got from the Buried at Sea. I think it could've also done with being a bit sweeter.

So out of the 4 beers that I bought, only one of them was any way up to standard, the Full Sail, which was actually really really nice. Just a pity that they made such an unholy mess of the bottling.
    You really need to try them on tap, especially Buried at Sea, its fantastic. Stormy port is a pretty average sessionable porter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

You really need to try them on tap, especially Buried at Sea, its fantastic. Stormy port is a pretty average sessionable porter.

I tried them all on draught earlier in the year, they were all average at best. Buried At Sea being the best of an unremarkable lot.

I bought the full range in bottles two weeks ago and enjoyed them far more, curiously enough. Not sure is that down to tweaked recipes or the new brewery or what.

That's not true. I like their core range a lot. 5am is one of my favorite beers and I love both punk, hardcore and dead pony club.

The last few I've had from them have been crap though. Jack hammer is horrible after a few sips and I just found electric India managed to combine the worst parts of two styles rather than the best.
    Ah I was only pulling your leg. I agree with you about Jackhammer though, it was so bitter it made me feel sick. We'll have have to agree to disagree on the the Electric India though. :)

Ah I have tried them, thought they were nice, but only in comparison to what they once were.......an awful mess.

Shame that they got the beers fixed but made a mess of the bottling. It'll be a while before i try them again, I'll wait until I've heard they've sorted out the teething problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

jsa112 wrote: »
    Having O'Hara's Jameson Barrel Aged Lean Follain, extremely impressed with it. O'Hara's should really do this more often, its one of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever had.

They are using Bushmills for the latest run

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Was in BDSM bar on Fri night, had my first pints of Metalman and Trouble Brewing's Sabotage. Both lovely though I preferred the Metalman, would be my go-to beer if it were in more bars. Still yet to try the Hurricane and Cyclone I bought last week, they're both still sitting in the bottom of the fridge lovely and cool for consumption later tonight :)

Shame Metalman isn't available in bottles! The two Howling Gales are great, but don't have them too cold - stifles that great flavour! Top of the fridge is better I reckon (less cool), maybe taking them out 10mins before drinking. I stick good ale in the fridge for 15mins, if at all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

"Jack hammer is horrible after a few sips" I agree with you about Jackhammer though, it was so bitter it made me feel sick.
    I loved Jackhammer, though I agree, it's extreme! Also love Libertine, Punk & Hardcore IPA, and Tokyo. :) I am completely over their "join the outlaw elite / this slut bites" label nonsense, however. :(

Tonights tipples.

I'm excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Tonights tipples.

I'm excited.

Have a louder in the fridge too. That and an episode of suits will be my night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement