Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Discovered a few bottles of Porterhouse Celebration Stout that I bought back in Christmas 2011!!!
    Tucking into one this evening, enjoying it. A bit of a caramel taste off it, certainly a lot more enjoyable than the last time I had one which was just a bit too "oaky" for my liking.

Might have a St Austell Tribute or HSD later.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had my first Dead Pony Club to kick things off tonight. Thing of beauty. Wish I'd tried it sooner.

Followed it up with Porterhouse's An Brain Blásta. Always a safe bet.

Finishing off a bottle of Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. Another first. Gorgeous stuff. These three beers go very nicely together. :)

I'm working my way through a bottle of westvleteren 12. I've had a few bottles stashed away to age them, so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Empyrean Domino Effect Transition Ale Well its nothing to write home about.
    Malty and quite carbonated with a hint of hops.

Empyrean Watch Man IPA way better that the above lovely hop balance but not over powering. Leaves a slight bitterness in the mouth.

Grand Teton Sweetgrass APA My first taste I thought it was a Czech beer mixed with an IPA.
    Got that Czech/German malty taste followed by a great hop kick.
    Leaves a slight dryness in the mouth but I really liked this beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

had a bottle of leann folain followed by a hilden twisted hop pale ale. I do like the twisted hop, that ll be on the shopping list again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Köstritzer Schwarzbier. Very tasty indeed, and a nice change from the typical pils.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Spent the last week in Berlin, so many beers, and so very affordable. 89c beers in the supermarket :D.

Schoffenhofer Dunkel was a favourite, though the Kristal and Hefewisen were good too. Köstritzer Schwarzbier was probably the best I found, could drink it all day.

Was the start of Oktoberfest celebrations in a couple of places, Lowenbrau had a tent outside the Hauptbahnhof which was great craic.

Going back to regular Irish pubs is a bit disappointing :o

Also tried Buried At Sea from a bottle before I went, as a big fan of the draught version, I found it very disappointing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

After a day brewing yesterday (extract Irish Red, extract Brown Ale, and a tweaked Brown Ale kit with cinnamon, nutmeg and star anise for Xmas) we headed down to WJKs for dinner and a few drinks.

They had London Pride on cask, lovely stuff, and also Trouble Brewing Ormeau on cask, absolutely delicious stout. I really love what the addition if Oatmeal does to stouts, a lovely creaminess and the head on the cask beer was almost like a nitro head, I was able to tilt the glass and the head was retained solidly on top, beyond the angle of the tilt.

I wonder will Trouble keep Ormeau in regular production. They might need to re-name it to keep in with their branding, and I know they already do a porter, but I think it would be worth their while to keep it up.

• Advertisement

Lucid Brewing Company Foto IPA very grassy/piney smell but tastes sweet but not too sweet. Nice hop kick too. Good beer.

Horny Goat Hopped Up n Horny IPA. Wow loved this.Was told this was terrible by the guy in the shop.
    I really liked it left a strong bitter taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

8 Degrees Barefoot Bohemian Pilsner.

beer_172470.jpg

Had it on draught. Moderate head, light bodied, hoppy, slight bitter aftertaste. I like Pilner's but this just didn't hit the mark though might try it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Barrel Aged Leann Follain to accompany some cured meats, bread, cheeses and olives.
    Works very well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mac's sweet Armagh cider. By Christ this is stunning.

I've got two bottles of Amber-Ella for tonight,can't wait to open them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I've got two bottles of Amber-Ella for tonight,can't wait to open them.

Just opened mine. Very very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Brewdog Jack Hammer earlier. Wasn't a fan. Way too bitter and lacked the body to back up the hops, which seems strange given it's 7.3%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Opened the extra FW Jameson Stout I got last year. I think it slightly edges the O'Hara's LF Barrel Aged for me. Both are fantastic, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Beamish tonight, 3.20, good value, went down easy while reading paper and listening to background music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

matrim wrote: »
    Had a Brewdog Jack Hammer earlier. Wasn't a fan. Way too bitter and lacked the body to back up the hops, which seems strange given it's 7.3%

This +1, had one on Friday after work in ATG. Wasn't impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Einstok toasted porter. 6%.

Very nice. Good solid flavour off it.

Definitely going to try this one again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I tried the Steven's Point Brewery (Wisconsin) brand - 2 lovely beers yesterday; the amber ale and the IPA.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

old hippy wrote: »
    I tried the Steven's Point Brewery (Wisconsin) brand - 2 lovely beers yesterday; the amber ale and the IPA.

Bought the missus their Belgian White but she wasn't too impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Grayditch wrote: »
    Opened the extra FW Jameson Stout I got last year. I think it slightly edges the O'Hara's LF Barrel Aged for me. Both are fantastic, though.

Lovely stuff isint it:)
    I think while O'Hara's LF Barrel Aged is very nice its not in the same league as the above to my gob.

I'm gonna try find this year's one to compare, but yeah, it would be the winner for me.

Having an Iron Maiden Trooper. It's not a bad beer, past the novelty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Currently sipping an 8 degrees Cyclone, got the bottle yesterday in McHughes.

It hides he 7% abv prety well but I was expecting a lot more from it from the reviews here. It looks like it's going to be a good american style IPA with a decent malt backbone and it's pretty balanced but I was expecting more sweetness. I think the got the hopping spot on, nice floral and ctirussy kick at the start and then a nice lasting bitterness at the back end but I think it's lacking any real malt presence and despite being not the palest pale ale ever it's not got a whole lot of body, just reminds me of a hoppier, higher abv howling gale.

It's a good beer, and I'll be trying it again, I'd like to try it on tap for sure.

Will be picking up the Huricane tomorrow probably to try that.
    Definitely going to head into the brewdock to try the amberella at sometime this week too.

edit:
    The bottle was in my fridge for about 24 hours and is ice cold, might need to buy another bottle and give it another chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hurricane was the nicest of the 2 IMO.

BaZmO* wrote: »

Will be picking one up tomorrow to decide :)

Wildebeest by the wild beer co. very very nice imperial stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

had a 8 degrees hollowing gale in Gotham cafe the other night was really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Enjoying this
    DSC_0179_zpsc11ca632.jpg
    Pleasantly surprised I have to say, wasn't expecting too much tbh.
    Bagged it at the rds doo (yes uncorked, took persuasion).
    Nice balance between (insert well worn nouns that describe the sharp side of the taste) and the (insert well worn nouns that describe the smooth side of the taste).
    Drinkable and nice, but not as good as FW Jemmie stout, but miles better than oharas....to my gob anyhow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Agreed. The Cyclone is grand like, drink it away no bother, but the Hurricane is top quality, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

quinnp wrote: »
    This +1, had one on Friday after work in ATG. Wasn't impressed.

+2.......all bitterness and not much else, IMO. Overrated.

Wildebeest by the wild beer co. very very nice imperial stout.

did you get that in WJK? I spotted the bottles in there on Saturday, but couldn't stay long enough to sample one.

did you get that in WJK? I spotted the bottles in there on Saturday, but couldn't stay long enough to sample one.

I saw bottles in McHughs on the malahide road the other day, just so ya know.

Hollands in bray. Think it was quite pricy but bought as part of my weekly stock up so can't remember :)

A_Fitz wrote: »
    +2.......all bitterness and not much else, IMO. Overrated.

By whom? Apart from the BrewDog site (which is always gonna be full of fan boys) I've only ever heard bad reviews of it.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I saw bottles in McHughs on the malahide road the other day, just so ya know.
    ah right, thanks. I don't live in the area, just grew up there :)
    Hollands in bray. Think it was quite pricy but bought as part of my weekly stock up so can't remember :)

It's been way too long since I've had a drink in Holland's, given my wife is from Bray and my FiL drinks there.

Having a bottle of Galway Bay Full Sail. Now I really wanna try this on draught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

O'Hara's Leann Follain & Pale Ale back amongst the Tesco 3 for €7 offer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

By whom? Apart from the BrewDog site (which is always gonna be full of fan boys) I've only ever heard bad reviews of it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brewdog-jack-hammer-ipa/178585/
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16315/89096

Liked it myself, needs to be drank warm to bring out the malt character.
    O'Hara's Leann Follain & Pale Ale back amongst the Tesco 3 for €7 offer
    Bottles of the stout are €1.85 a pop in Tesco Tallaght.

drumswan wrote: »
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brewdog-jack-hammer-ipa/178585/
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16315/89096

Liked it myself, needs to be drank warm to bring out the malt character.
    97%!?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I have two bottles of Pliny the Elder to drink over the next week or two. I went to the Russian River brew pub in Santa Rosa and it was magical. Their Imperial Porter was quite excellent, as were the sours I tried.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I have two bottles of Pliny the Elder to drink over the next week or two. I went to the Russian River brew pub in Santa Rosa and it was magical. Their Imperial Porter was quite excellent, as were the sours I tried.

Can we have an automatic ban on people that say they have just tried or are about to try a Russian River beer?

Ive rated the Blind Pig, Damnation and Pliny The Elder. It was before xmas though, so no ban for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I have two bottles of Pliny the Elder to drink over the next week or two. .

Drink it young, ;)

• Advertisement

Their consecration sour is meant to be amazing.

Every time I read 'Pliny The Elder' it makes me happy for one second, in that memory and then very sad for more than that because I don't have one.

Drinking a Torpedo from a can. Might be my imagination by it seems really fresh and bright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Last night I had Mirror Pond Ale by Deschutes brewery from Oregon in an Irish bar in San Francisco, nice stuff. Last week I had Racer 5 IPA, very nice drink and the only reason I tried it was because the place I was in hadn't a great selection. For some reason I always avoided it in the past.
    I also found a place that sells Pliny but at $6.50 a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Seaneh wrote: »
    Their consecration sour is meant to be amazing.

'Tis, aye. About $14 for a bottle though! A glass is closer to $6.

I went to the brew pub on a Sunday - all day happy hour with Pliny at $3.75 a pint.

My pal got Blind Pig, which was also nice.

Went back at 11.30ish on the Monday morning and it was packed... Then we went off to Napa for wine tasting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement