Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

oblivious wrote: »
    Drink it young, ;)

So the bottle says. Repeatedly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

drumswan wrote: »
    Drinking a Torpedo from a can. Might be my imagination by it seems really fresh and bright
    You're right. One of the guys in Redmonds in Ranelagh was explaining that the can has a new kind of lining which prevents 'can taste' from leeching into the beer. Anyway, I got a couple of cans to have by the canal (no bottle opener) and he was absolutely right.

World: more of these cans, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Oh, and I'm mostly drinking Kinnegar from Donegal these days.

sarkozy wrote: »
    You're right. One of the guys in Redmonds in Ranelagh was explaining that the can has a new kind of lining which prevents 'can taste' from leeching into the beer. Anyway, I got a couple of cans to have by the canal (no bottle opener) and he was absolutely right.

World: more of these cans, please.

I'm not sure I believe the whole 'can taste' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Negra Modelo Had a bottle of this last year in Atlanta and liked it with Mexican food.
    Had a bottle again and went well with Mexican food.

Moved on to Sierra Nevada to finish the meal. It was in tap so not often you get SN on tap so had to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

sarkozy wrote: »
    Oh, and I'm mostly drinking Kinnegar from Donegal these days.

In that case you should pop into the Black Sheep tonight; they are down there with samples and pints and stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In that case you should pop into the Black Sheep tonight; they are down there with samples and pints and stuff.

That'll be good craic, your man Rick is a sound guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

irish_goat wrote: »
    That'll be good craic, your man Rick is a sound guy.

I had a great chin wag with herself at the RDS; they are fierce proud of their beers and rightly so :) Tonight will be excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What time is this happening in The Black Sheep?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

7pm.

• Advertisement

Interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

seanmacc wrote: »
    Lost Coast do a fantastic beer called "Great White Beer".

When I'm in the states I drink it by the gallon and I'd love to see it here (provided its not prohibitively priced).

In the supermarket inthe states it runs at about $4.50 for a 16 ounce bottle.

Got some yesterday (6 pack for $12), very nice beer. I will definitely get it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Lads, Sierra Nevada hoptimum on draught, it should actually be illegal to make beer this good.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Lads, Sierra Nevada hoptimum on draught, it should actually be illegal to make beer this good.

I didn't think much of it, really. It had a resin-like quality to it and didn't really seem that bitter at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

The aldi "o'shea's" pale ale. And a white water hoppelhammer.

I def prefer the aldi. Half the price too! (for what I paid for the hoppelhammer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had 8 Degrees Amber Ella, quite a good beer, hopefully it becomes part of their core range.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Had SN 'Torpedo' for the first time on Wed - definitely will be back for many more. Also had two lovely pints of 5AM Saint in The Raven in Cork........obviously enough, I suppose, but it's so much better than the bottled version......lovely stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

BaZmO* wrote: »
    By whom? Apart from the BrewDog site (which is always gonna be full of fan boys) I've only ever heard bad reviews of it.

By mates of mine who were raving about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I didn't think much of it, really. It had a resin-like quality to it and didn't really seem that bitter at all.

Its 100 IBU...?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Its 100 IBU...?!

'tis. I thought it was more than bitter enough, but nicely balanced.

Had an amazing beer last night. TO ØL - Black Maria Black IPA. Smelled amazing, and tasted just as good. Another one of those beers that reminds you why you drink craft beer. Only criticism is that I felt it could've been a little sweeter, or moreso, it could've done with having a bigger mouthfeel that you tend to get when a beer has a bit more sweetness to it. Still a cracking beer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm currently in California. I stocked up on local beer. I've got Mammoth Yosemite Pale Ale, Mammoth Ahwahnee Ale, Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale, Sierra Nevada Chico and a couple if ithers that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm off to a beer festival this evening in Bismarck ,North Dakota. Have no idea what its like or what range of beers will be available but will try track as best I can.

I went to the off licence to get these for tomorrow/Sunday.

beer2.jpg

Lone Peak IPA - Lone Peak Brewery
    Horny Goat Exposed Cream Ale (vegan friendly also)
    Goose Island - Just in case I hate the others i can fall back on this.
    Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA (want to try this again)
    Summit Sága IPA - Another beer i enjoy so just got it as haven't had it in ages.
    Lucky Bucket Oktoberfest
    Empyrean Dark Side Vanilla Porter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Pay day today so decided to treat myself.
    Got the following:
    2 cans of Punk
    White Gypsy American IPA
    Galway Bay Full Sail
    Hardknot Queboid
    Rok IPA
    Crew IPA
    To OL Raid Beer

Rather surprisingly I haven't tried the last four so am looking forward to tucking into them at various points this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Picked up 3 for €7 in Tesco:
    Last night I had the Asahi, tonight it's the Fuller's London Porter. For tomorrow it's a bottle of the award-winning Proper Job IPA: time to find out whether or not I really like Hops ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For tonight: One bottle of Nøgne Ø Porter
    For tomorrow: Two bottles of Delerium Nocturnum

For a special occasion: One bottle each of White Gypsy's German Dopplebock and American Pale Ale. I've those packed away safely with two of the O'Hara's barrel aged stout and a litre of Fran Well Jameson Stout. It'll be a grand winter!

• Advertisement

Galway Bay Pilot 001 Session APA on cask in The Black Sheep.

What it lacks in abv it more than makes up fir on taste and drinkablity, great stuff.

P.s. they are all out of amberella, sad times :'(
    Never got to try it!

Having a Scraggy Bay on draught.
    Had it from the bottle at the start of the summer and wasn't blown away but its fecking lovely from the tap!

I'd say the bigger kit is doing wonders for the hops too, they seem far better used in this incarnation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Having an Amber Ella at the moment and it's an absolutely fantastic beer. Wasn't too impress at the start, thought there was a long and very pronounced bitterness without the body to back it up. But, let it warm up and it comes to really comes to life.

8 degrees are really on a roll this year after Kindred Spirit, Hurricane, Cyclone and now this. If only they could bring back Ochtoberfest... it is Octoberfest season after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

After years in the wilderness of pissy lagers and bland stouts, have been investigating various ales/beers over the last few months.

Tried Hefe-Weissbier for first time tonight.

Jumped in with some Paulaner and Franziskaner. Really enjoyed, and preferred the Paulaner over the Franziskaner, but am open to suggestions on other weissbiers to try. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

After years in the wilderness of pissy lagers and bland stouts, have been investigating various ales/beers over the last few months.

Jumped in with some Paulaner and Franziskaner. Really enjoyed, and preferred the Paulaner over the Franziskaner, but am open to suggestions on other weissbiers to try. :)

I'm the opposite. I prefer franziskaner over paulaner.
    My favourites are weihenstephaner and Schneider weisse tap 4!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

I second Scortho, anything from Weihenstephaner or Schneider Weisse is weissbier gold.

I myself had 8 Degrees Amber Ella tonight, and its bloody delicious. Still plenty of bottles to be had in Bradley's, I reckon I'll have to go back for more.

The beer festival I just visited had good and bad points.
    Good point a card with all beers on it and a box after it to say you tastes it.

Bad point was stupid staff didn't know which box to tick. Another bad point was the people pulling the pints never tasted the beer or didn't care what they they were serving. Not on every stand but a few.

1 other bad point was some brewery's didn't have taps and only used bottles. Not that it's bad but I was expecting draught beers all around,

Green Flash - West Coast IPA

Very similar to a lot of Irish style IPAs.

Hides the 7.3% ABV very well. Nice beer.

Which Irish IPA is it like?

Which Irish IPA is it like?

O'Haras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Got myself a selection of porters and stouts for the evening

1229961_10151665842178873_639648386_n.jpg

The two Galway Bays, a Scottish Oat Stout, an Icelandic Toasted porter which I'm most lookign forward to, and To Øl Black Ball to finish.

The Oat Stout is pretty good, and the Stormy Port, I'm afraid to say, is like a homebrew in comparison.

It's my first time having the bottled GB beers, and I'm a bit dissapointed. I'll open the LAS next, and I love this on tap in the pubs, so hopefully it's better than the SP. :(

I'll be interested to read what you make of the Black Ball. I nearly bought one yesterday but decided against it in the end, mainly because I'm in an IPA phase at the moment.

Currently sipping an 8 Degrees Hurricane. Nice but not nearly as nice as I remembered it at the Craft Beer Festival. I really think I destroyed my taste buds with some overly-hoppy beers at the start of the evening!!

The BAS is about a hundred times better than the SP, it's as if it's from a different brewery.

I'm impressed with that.
    Heroditas wrote: »
    I'll be interested to read what you make of the Black Ball. I nearly bought one yesterday but decided against it in the end, mainly because I'm in an IPA phase at the moment.

Did you have a look at the Black Ball spiel on the To Ol website?
    Black Ball Porter

Black Ball is a potent porter, boasted with dark cassonade sugar and a good heap of American hops to rebalance the edgy and full-flavoured malt profile. You will find notes of chocolate, caramel and sulphur. This results in a porter with a broad and delicate mouth feel, capable of a good kick and does not leave the mouth voluntarily.

Black IPA? No way! Hoppy Porters is here to stay!

Heh, you probably should have bought it :)

Interesting! Must give it a shot. :)

• Advertisement

I thought it was beautiful when I tried it.

Baldy, where did you get those? Was it Carry Out in Ashtown?
    Reason I'm asking is because I also got a TSA beer yesterday but it was an IPA and I hadn't seen them anywhere else, not even in Drinkstore this afternoon.

It was as it happens, yes.

I live about a five minute drive from it down in Finglas, we are lucky with that off licence there, Superquinn have a decent selection, then there's Sweeney's in Glasnevin, Drinkstore over in Stonetbatter and the big Tesco Clearwater. My folks live over in Coolock so that's always an excuse to visit McHugh's in Artane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Haven't been majorly impressed with any of the To Ol beers, their quad "F^ck art this is advertising" was the best one I've tried.

Had a galway bay red ale, wasn't up to much, people were complaining about carbonation for some of the beers, which was a problem with the bottle I had. Had a Bo Bristle IPA which wasn't bad at all, but not worth 5.20 a pint imo.

Drank some brewdog hardcore's earlier, been a while since I had them. Still absolutely super. Got me thinking, is this the only regular/fresh DIPA we get in Ireland ? I had some of the American DIPAs a few years ago before they all really stopped exporting, I think Brewdog is the only one now.

Correctly drinking a Hardknot Queboid.
    Quite a nice, full flavour but could do with a tiny bit of carbonation. Just that little bit too flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Hides the 7.3% ABV very well. Nice beer.

Where did you get it?
    Keep an eye out for Sculpin by Ballast Point also from San Diego, one if my favourite beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Black Ball is one of my favourite porters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

That Icelandic Toasted porter is lovely! Haven't tried their White Ale yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Proper Job is obviously great, but Big Job is probably even better. Delicious.

• Advertisement

O'Haras

Really?!?!
    jsa112 wrote:
    Haven't been majorly impressed with any of the To Ol beers
    Hardly a week goes by on here without someone being underwhelmed by a world class brewery

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement