Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I just had Robinson's Old Tom Chocolate Ale. Pleasantly surprised. Subtle and warm. The cat winking at me on the bottle gave me the heads up it was a decent brew.

8 Degrees Hurricane is a pretty good IPA, might try the Cyclone next.

I think Red Hook do a couple of decent beers. Don't let me down with this one, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Grayditch wrote: »
    Proper Job is obviously great, but Big Job is probably even better. Delicious.

I have one chilling at the moment. Going to get stuck in within the next hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

While I know it's not exactly rare I've finally got my hands on Kindred Spirit

Very nice IMO, I didn't find the whisk(e)y taste isn't too over powering which for me is a good thing (not being a whisk(e)y drinker at all)

Strangely the first thing the OH said when she sniffed it was that she got a whisk(e)y whiff off it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

While I know it's not exactly rare I've finally got my hands on Kindred Spirit

Very nice IMO, I didn't find the whisk(e)y taste isn't too over powering which for me is a good thing (not being a whisk(e)y drinker at all)

Strangely the first thing the OH said when she sniffed it was that she got a whisk(e)y whiff off it!

Ive 8 in the shed to drink! First week back in college this week so they may dwindle by Friday:pac:

I found it had a whiskey smell of it and taste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was in the Ivy House (Drumcondra) on Friday night and noticed a beer called 'Bo Bristle', an IPA. Gave it a try and was really impressed with it. Never noticed it in the usual craft beer spots so was a nice surprise to get it in a 'normal' pub.

Was in the Porterhouse Saturday night and tried their 'Paleface' beer. Thought it was awful, far too yeasty. Ended up leaving half of it. Maybe I got a bad keg or something?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Good lord. Einstök Icelandic Toasted Porter is a new contender for best portet for me. So well balanced.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got my hands on a bottle of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA last night. Beautiful stuff.

Probably shouldn't have necked 3 pints of Dark Arts Porter afterwards, but it seemed a great idea at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Scortho wrote: »
    Ive 8 in the shed to drink! First week back in college this week so they may dwindle by Friday:pac:

I found it had a whiskey smell of it and taste.

I've bad sinuses so it could well be me!

Right, cracked open one of my precious Big Jobs.
    Initial thoughts: great aroma of grapefruit.
    Pours with little or no head and is a cloudy golden colour.
    Not too much effervescence and quite a few solids either stuck to the inside of the glass or still in suspension in the beer.

Tastes a bit fruity but disappointingly flat. Could do with a bit more carbonation. Becoming quite bitter as I progress through the glass. Weird drink, quite unbalanced.

• Advertisement

I got my hands on a bottle of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA last night. Beautiful stuff.

Probably shouldn't have necked 3 pints of Dark Arts Porter afterwards, but it seemed a great idea at the time!

I've had worse nights than that. That's a good start!

Heroditas wrote: »
    Right, cracked open one of my precious Big Jobs.
    Initial thoughts: great aroma of grapefruit.
    Pours with little or no head and is a cloudy golden colour.
    Not too much effervescence and quite a few solids either stuck to the inside of the glass or still in suspension in the beer.

Tastes a bit fruity but disappointingly flat. Could do with a bit more carbonation. Becoming quite bitter as I progress through the glass. Weird drink, quite unbalanced.

I found it weird that Big Job seemed milder than Proper Job, given the percentage and strength, but I loved it's delicateness and flavour. However at nearly a fiver a go, I have to conclude that it's only good for a try once or twice. Still a great shout for a hoppy, fruity beer, but probably not worth the fiver.

I found it weird that Big Job seemed milder than Proper Job, given the percentage and strength, but I loved it's dicateness and flavour. However at nearly a fiver a go, I have to conclude that it's only good for a try once or twice. Still a great shout for a hoppy, fruity beer, but probably not worth the fiver.

Very true, it's a little bit more subtle than Proper Job and it's an awful pity because it's very close to being a really fine DIPA.
    There's others I'd go for first but it's still enjoyable. I'm glad I brought them back from my holiday in Cornwall. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Good lord. Einstök Icelandic Toasted Porter is a new contender for best portet for me. So well balanced.

It's amazing isn't it?

I'm having a Sierra Nevada Old Chico Wheat beer. It's really nice. Goes down quite easily too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think my Einstok on Saturday night must have been too cold or something, but I found the bitterness from roasted malt a little too sharp, with nothing really to back it up from the sweeter, deeper caramel, chocolate or coffee flavours you usually get in a strong-ish porter.

It wasn't in the fridge when I picked it up in the shop, and it was fairly warm on Saturday, so I stuck it in the fridge for a while before drinking it, I must have had it in too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

So here is the list of beers I had at the Beerfest I attended here in the US.

Deschutes Freshely Squeezed IPA - Lots of grapefruit and bitterness to this. Lots of Mosaic Citra hops according to the label. I really liked this beer.

Fargo Brewery Iron Horse - An APA very smooth and easy to drink with a nice bittersweet finish.

Southern Tier Brewing 2X Steam - 8% and you could taste it. A bit malty and too much alcohol for me.

Abita Brewing Co. Strawator - I could smell this beer while I was walking up to the stand. Strawberries but more in a jam way then in Cider way. If that makes sense.
    I actually enjoyed this beer alot but dont think I could have more than 1 because I am not too into sweet drinks. This was 8% also but you would never notice this.

Tallgrass Brewing Company Pub Ale - Supposed to be a copy of an English style pub ale. Was a lovely brown colour and slightly malty but I got a major chocolate kick from it at the end. It was ok nothing out of this world.

Bell's Quinannan Falls - This beer confused the hell out of me and I had to have more than 1 just to make sure;). Initially its a German pils then bang hops. I tasted it again to make sure maybe I hadn't cleaned my glass properly.
    Again the same tastes. This to me was my favourite beer at the festival.

New Belgium Pumpkick - Lovely colourful amber/orange beer. I could smell cinnamon straight away. Tasted like a pumpkin but slightly bitter. Didnt really like it and the spices took over at the end which was too much for me.

Beaver Creek Rough Rider Wheat - I was told by the lady from the brewery to wait for the lemongrass kick as they had added loads to this wheat beer. Well it was there alright and was interesting flavour. Not sure I could drink many as I kept thinking of lemsip after a while.

Sam Adams Double Agent I.P.L. They classed it as a Pale Lager/Pils and it was exactly that. I really liked this and very easy to drink and light carbonation too. Not too far from the Bell's beer above but not as good. Nice hop kick too.

Alaskan Brewing Company Alaskan Oatmeal Stout - Lovely toasted malt and coffee flavour but didnt last very long. It was a good enough beer but I have had better.

August Schell Chimney Sweep Stout - I could see why they called it Chimney sweep as the initial smell I could smell smoke almost reminded me of turf burning.
    Smelled it again and got chocolate also in there. Smelled like it tasted also. quite sweet then followed a smokey wood flavour. There was a hint of hops but just a little. I would have liked to taste it again but had run out.

Empyrean Dark Side Vanilla Porter sadly I couldn't get the vanilla but enjoyed the porter. Nice coffee and roasted malt.

Horny Goat Exposed Cream Ale a straw yellow beer couldn't smell a thing from it. Tasted very like Coors or something with a hint of hop. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I think my Einstok on Saturday night must have been too cold or something, but I found the bitterness from roasted malt a little too sharp, with nothing really to back it up from the sweeter, deeper caramel, chocolate or coffee flavours you usually get in a strong-ish porter.

It wasn't in the fridge when I picked it up in the shop, and it was fairly warm on Saturday, so I stuck it in the fridge for a while before drinking it, I must have had it in too long.

I think I drank mine at room temperature. I've started doing that with porter and stout and have noticed that I enjoy them more.

KJ wrote: »
    I think I drank mine at room temperature. I've started doing that with porter and stout and have noticed that I enjoy them more.

believe me, I've often in Winter left stouts and porters beside a radiator before drinking :)

I'll have to re-visit this Einstok though.

Anyone know what's at the Oktoberfest?
    Is it just erdinger?
    An American friend of a friend is coming with us and as she's a big fan of stone and Russian river, I don't want to bore her with erdinger.
    Brewdock might be a better bet I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is it just erdinger?
    An American friend of a friend is coming with us and as she's a big fan of stone and Russian river, I don't want to bore her with erdinger.

Thread here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057041323

Regular Erdinger and Fisher's "Helles" is all that's available. Brewdock or Bull and Castle would be a better shout for a craft beer loving tourist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is it just erdinger?

From the Oktoberfest Dublin website:
    We will offer our icecold and fresh tapped German Erdinger “Fischer’s Hell” and “Weizenbier” (wheatbeer), for the drivers we will have some non-alcoholic wheatbeer!
    For those who don’t prefer beer, we have a German wine bar with excellent German white and red wine, longdrinks (havanna-coke, vodka-red bull) and many more!

So yeah brewdock or bull and castle would save you embarrassment.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Thread here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057041323

Regular Erdinger and Fisher's "Helles" is all that's available. Brewdock or Bull and Castle would be a better shout for a craft beer loving tourist.

I think it'll be brew dock.
    Unfortunately bull and castle is a bit of a trek as we'd be going Oktoberfest first. :(

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Firestone Walker - Union Jack IPA

Very nice, extremely similar hop profile as Goose Island IPA, maybe a tad more bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Best IPA Ive ever had, just perfect.

Having a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Very hipsterish. Or possibly the best beer ive ever had.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

drumswan wrote: »
    Having a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Very hipsterish. Or possibly the best beer ive ever had.

LOL. :pac:

I've ordered one of those, among other things. Hoping it arrives before the weekend. No idea when I'll get around to drinking it!

Very nice, extremely similar hop profile as Goose Island IPA, maybe a tad more bitter.

A guy in work told me that's his favourite beer.
    I haven't seen it in North Dakota though so kinda sad about that.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    A guy in work told me that's his favourite beer.
    I haven't seen it in North Dakota though so kinda sad about that.

Available from the Brewdog shop.

Same. It's pretty amazing. I have one downstairs and some nights it's real hard not to open it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭kevin700

Old empire (one of my favourites)

Lucky Bucket Oktoberfest , a really below par beer. Poured a lovely dark amber colour but that's were the good bits ended.
    Tasted like malt and grain nothing else going on.
    Poured the rest down the drain.

Lone Peak IPA . nice amber coloured beer. Whatever way I poured this it always had lots of head. After reading the label more closely it said I should decant the whole bottle into a large open serving glass.
    Anyway initial taste was like spice or pepper on my lips followed by a hop kick.
    2nd sip I let it wash around a bit and could get a sweet flavour like caramel. It finishes off quite grassy and bitter. Not a bad beer but lots of better IPA's than this.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    nice amber coloured beer.

You sure it's not red? :pac:

It's funny a year ago my favourite beer was erdinger
    Now I find it lacks I'm taste.
    I suppose at 5 euro for a litre it wasn't bad, but the troubled hooker I had on cask in the brewdock was unreal. :D

Available from the Brewdog shop.

They still charging 25 sterling for delivery?

They still charging 25 sterling for delivery?

Not if you use Parcel Motel! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had my first lambic(although have had brett IPAish beers before if they qualify), Kriek and Boon, absolutely blown away. I love cherries so this beer was made for me. Definitely will be getting this again. If there are any other lambic beers worth getting, am all ears

Got to try the new Founders beers, the dry hopped IPA was poor, Centennial was quite good, and Scotch Ale good too. Their best before is June, so not as fresh as they could be.

Having a nogne ø havre stout.
    Really wish I hadn't looked at ratebeer rating as I put it off for ages.
    Surprisingly tasty!:D

Summit Sága IPA - really is a great go to beer. 1st time I've had it from a bottle and as good as draught. I'll miss this beer when I come home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A couple of rarities that I got thanks to family abroad

Haandbryggeriet Hesjeøl and Ægir Skumring Dubbel

20130925_220648_zps8b35e582.jpg

Tabnabs wrote: »
    skumring-dubbel

What a name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

jsa112 wrote: »
    Got to try the new Founders beers, the dry hopped IPA was poor, Centennial was quite good, and Scotch Ale good too. Their best before is June, so not as fresh as they could be.
    I wonder how long from the bottling date the best before is?

Having the porter as we speak, this is very very nice and roasty. 4 for a tenner in Redmonds too, for all except the Dirty Bastard scotch ale which I didn't see there at all.

Was shocked to see Founders on special in Redmonds, picked up the IPA and Porter for this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Their best before was June 2014 !, and you could tell the dry hopped one was old from the taste. No indication of when it was bottled. I must try more scotch ale's as have been enjoying the few I've tried so far.

jsa112 wrote: »
    Their best before was June
    June 2014!

The all day IPA is really fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Founders porter
    Founders all day IPA
    Founders dirty bastard
    Founders centennial IPA
    Founders pale ale.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/porter/5/

The #3 rated porter on ratebeer 4 for a tenner in Ireland. How things have changed

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/founders-beer-in-the-uk.93667/#post-1393333
    The best before date is 10 months from bottling, so should be fine :)

The porter is sensational.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/porter/5/

The #3 rated porter on ratebeer 4 for a tenner in Ireland. How things have changed

In what shop..?

Redmonds. They have the porter, all day ipa, centennial ipa and dry hopped pale ale

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement