Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

Anyone tried the brooklyn ale on draught?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Had a Howling Gale on tap tonight. I knew it would be better than the bottle, but surprised just how much so. What a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

You're right, I'm not particularly fond of regular IPAs .

Burn him he's a witch. I have also reported your post to the mods. :-)

Last night I Had a Newburgh IPA, I think there was something wrong with the the way this was pulled or maybe the keg had been kept as it was a very flat IPA as almost a cask version. I've never had this beer before but I noticed the bar man looking at the pint funny too.
    I asked him he said he thinks it was ok but I didn't have another.

I just looked at ratebeer an I see other people saying something similar. But I see now also it's supposed to be an English style pale ale. Maybe that why it was like this.

Anyway it wasn't the hoppiest but had a nice kick an at 7% you would have never noticed te alcohol. There was a slightly spicey taste to it too but nothing too much.

Would have liked another but had to get on the plane..

I wasn't fond of IPA's at first, but then a Sierra Nevada Torpedo told my tastebuds to cop the f*** on. It's probably weird that an Extra IPA was the one that made it click, but that is that good a beer in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So I'm sitting in the Salt House last night (thanks Seaneh for the directions) and an American walks in and buys their only bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Barman gave it to him for €60. Was contemplating jumping him on the way back.

Tried the Brewdog Dog Wired while there, really enjoyed it. Sweet on the nose and very hoppy with a great aftertaste. Also had a couple of swigs of **** Art This Is Advertising. 11% and you can taste it. Very strong stuff.

drumswan wrote: »
    Oak chips soaked in whiskey or what? How is it whiskey barrel aged?

Oak chips soaked in Jameson and added to the fermenter. I never said it was barrel aged, it's a poor mans imitation of barrel aged stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The beer is wonderfully cheap in Deutschland, but I miss the variety of microbrews and stuff from home. Freiberger Jubilaeums pilsner is the best I've tasted so far, hoppy and crisp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

some over the two nights

founders dirty bastar# really nice

founders centennial ipa. on a par with odells ipa it is that good

Grabbed the three different Founders and Anchor BigLeaf Maple for tonight. Grabbed an Einstok porter to put by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

founders dirty bastar#

Having one at the moment. Really nice. I'm starting to really like the Americans' slant on a Scotch Ale, I've had a few over the last while and I've enjoyed them all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What style of glass should I use for the barrel aged O'Hara's? Ideally speaking, like.

What style of glass should I use for the barrel aged O'Hara's? Ideally speaking, like.

Something bulbus, like a brandy or wine glass.

Anchor Bigleaf Maple was a bit disappointing. The aroma is beautiful and the syrup hint is lovely, but it tastes like its thrown on top of Anchor Steam, which is one of my least favourite Anchors.

Founders Centennial IPA is straight up delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Grayditch wrote: »
    Founders Centennial IPA is straight up delicious.
    Nice to have a malt forward IPA for a change. All their pale beers have a nice toasted malt character.

Nice to have a malt forward IPA for a change. All their pale beers have a nice toasted malt character.

I just had their porter tonight. That's a damn good porter. I don't think I'd heard of Founders until recently. That's 2/2 that have impressed me a lot. I'll try the Dirty Bastard during the week, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Tonight I had Brewdog Libertine and Thornebridge Raven.

The brewdog is nice but the Thornebridge is fantastic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Got a Thornbridge Wild Raven black IPA and a Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA. Two lovely beers, but I instantly prefer the Snake Dog. Mighty stuff to sip on with a good DVD playing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In Sweetmans having a porter waiting for the football and us know what, I'm not gone on it... Its grand like but I find it very watery and the rosatyness is over powering. Will try the pale ale next.

Not bad for €4 mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Seaneh wrote: »
    In Sweetmans having a porter waiting for the football and us know what, I'm not gone on it... Its grand like but I find it very watery and the rosatyness is over powering. Will try the pale ale next.

Not bad for €4 mind.

Are they doing after work Thursday tomorrow.
    That's great value...free food and beer!:D

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    No idea, I'm new here!

Any fans of Sierra Nevada porter? I'm enjoying my first bottle of it with a chocolate brownie and the Man United match on TV. Yum.

Any fans of Sierra Nevada porter? I'm enjoying my first bottle of it with a chocolate brownie. Yum.

Love the stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Scortho wrote: »

I think it's every Thursday. They put this photo up on facebook today anyway.

1382404_678123312217505_29068982_n.jpg

Any fans of Sierra Nevada porter? I'm enjoying my first bottle of it with a chocolate brownie and the Man United match on TV. Yum.

Yeah it's beautiful. It was my first introduction to hoppy porters/stouts and was blown away with it. Haven't had it in a long while though.

So after the pale ale in Sweetmans (which was grand but nothing to write home about) I decided to head to Bull & Castle for the second half.

Sipping an amberella at the minute and its a bit fecking good lads. Probably the best 8 degrees beer I've had. They should make this permanent.

Don't agree with the lads who Saud its better than 5am Saint, which I think is the mutts nuts, but its fecking lovely in its own right.

• Advertisement

Just had a taste of the Metalman Smokescreen.

Not sure how I feel about that, tastes like kippers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Stone IPA, Ruination & Levitation this evening. Great to finally taste some Stone beers. I also have Arrogant Bastard but that's for another day ;)

BVllXHYIMAEgJhv.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Turtle001

I lived in Scotland for a few years and was quite fond of the Williams Bros range. I see you can get some of their beers in Ireland but I'm not sure about their full range.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get Ceilidh or Good Times in Dublin?

DarrenG wrote: »
    Stone IPA, Ruination & Levitation this evening. Great to finally taste some Stone beers. I also have Arrogant Bastard but that's for another day ;)

BVllXHYIMAEgJhv.jpg:large

Don't age the arrogant bastard, its best fresh.

That said, I find stone beers s tad over rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Don't age the arrogant bastard, its best fresh.

That said, I find stone beers s tad over rated.

I have no thoughts of ageing any of these.

• Advertisement

DarrenG wrote: »
    I have no thoughts of ageing any of these.

Well, some of them might do well with age but the hoppy ones, get them into ya as quick as ya can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Anyone tried the two new brown paper bag projects? Think one is a wheat beer, not sure about the other. I saw them in the local OL, Might pick them up over the weekend

Currently sipping a Hurricane by 8 degrees.

Much, much better than the cyclone. The malt is a lot more full on and the mouthfeel,for an ipa, is almost chewy, and then the hops come in and offer a good counter balance and a nice lasting bitterness at the end.

Weird how two very similar beers can taste so different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

not a beer, but sipping a yellow spot.

Citra - Oakham Ales very citrus flavour upfront also smells like it.
    It's like a lite version of a Thornbridge beer.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Citra - Oakham Ales very citrus flavour upfront also smells like it.
    It's like a lite version of a Thornbridge beer.

Where are you based while drinking it? I had a thornbridge Chiron earlier for the first time, wasn't impressed compared to the Jaipur. Obviously Jaipur is of a very high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had a MM smokescreen. Just enough smokiness for me to enjoy but would love more smokiness. Quite nice and more sessionable than other smokier smokies!

Also had amber ella. Had it before but had to have another few pints of it cause its so damn good. They have to make that permenant. I was actually never a fan of 8 degrees apart from a winters ale 2011 edition and now cyclone, hurricane and amber ella are all good to great.

So after the pale ale in Sweetmans (which was grand but nothing to write home about)
    This is up there with O'Haras as the best Pale Ale in the country IMO. At 4 quid a pint it might just be the best session beer in any Irish pub. Their beers are miles ahead of Galway Bay and as good as Porterhouse.

This is up there with O'Haras as the best Pale Ale in the country.

It is very good i think. At 4e in the pub too is excellent value

Pity Sweetmans is so far out of my way. Does anyone know if they are pouring these beers in The Barge?

• Advertisement

Pity Sweetmans is so far out of my way. Does anyone know if they are pouring these beers in The Barge?

They are!
    Pale ale and weiss if i remember correct.
    I hear there is plans to sell it in other pubs too

This is up there with O'Haras as the best Pale Ale in the country IMO. At 4 quid a pint it might just be the best session beer in any Irish pub. Their beers are miles ahead of Galway Bay and as good as Porterhouse.

The pale was fine but not a patch on the likes of O'Hara's pale ale, Full Sail, metalman pale or Hopplehammer or even Hophead.
    Fair enough if you like your more bland pale ales but for me its fine but nothing special.

As for the porter, as far as Irish stouts or porters go I'd rate Knockmealdown, buried at sea, all 3 porter house stouts, dark arts, o'haras, Leanne Follain, shandon, west Dingel's porter and Belfast black all ahead of it.

They are grand beers, but I wouldn't go out of my way to drink them, and when I can get O'Hara's stout, Hooker, rebel red and Metalman for €4 in bull and castle I won't be rushing back to sweetmans.

They both taste like decent home brewed beers rather than commercially viable products.

Fuller’s Wild River well straight away I knew it was a Filers beer with that recognisable malty taste. There was a hoppy kick but nothing crazy.

Its not their best beer but worth trying.

Where are you based while drinking it? I had a thornbridge Chiron earlier for the first time, wasn't impressed compared to the Jaipur. Obviously Jaipur is of a very high standard.

In Dublin now.

You wont get 4e pints at the weekend in the b&c though seaneh.

Guess we have to disagree with sweetman and the galway bay beers. I would pay galway bay prices for sweetmans but bar BAS i wont buy galway bay at sweetmans prices.

While on the sweetmans topic. I went in tuesday and they only had 2 out of their 6 beers available. Not a great sign if they cant supply themselves with enough of their own beer (especially if they are looking to sell it in other venues)

ciaran76 wrote: »
    In Dublin now.

Ah ok, I haven't noticed that beer before. I assumed you had been across the pond again to sample more micro brews.

adamski8 wrote: »
    While on the sweetmans topic. I went in tuesday and they only had 2 out of their 6 beers available. Not a great sign if they cant supply themselves with enough of their own beer (especially if they are looking to sell it in other venues)

They had the porter, pale and weisse tonight.

Ah ok, I haven't noticed that beer before. I assumed you had been across the pond again to sample more micro brews.

Yeah first time for me seeing it here too so had to pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a Biffificio Del Ducato Smoked Porter. Quite tasty, obviously a smokey and woody flavour but has a strong plum flavour too that add a sweetness at the end

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement