Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

where'd you pick up the smoked porter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Anyone tried the two new brown paper bag projects? Think one is a wheat beer, not sure about the other. I saw them in the local OL, Might pick them up over the weekend

The wheat beer thing is more of an Orval clone. Very nice beer but te label and description are a let down, especially the hop list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Had a bottle of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar the other night, it was very tasty.

Also been to JW Sweetmans a couple of times now, all their own beers are very nice. Not really a fan of IPAs usually, but theirs is very nice.
    Also, they sell Delerium Nocturnum in bottles, which is the first time I've seen it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Seaneh wrote: »
    They both taste like decent home brewed beers rather than commercially viable products.
    They must have changed the recipes since I was in there last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If they aren't Galway Bay Seaneh hatez!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

He is now living in Dublin I think so we can slowly convert him :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

ciaran76 wrote: »
    He is now living in Dublin I think so we can slowly convert him :p

They've 4 pubs in Dublin, I don't think so! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Where is the nearest place to Stephen's Green I'd get a pint of Full Sail?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Grayditch wrote: »
    Where is the nearest place to Stephen's Green I'd get a pint of Full Sail?
    Against the Grain, 11 Wexford Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

ronano wrote: »
    where'd you pick up the smoked porter ?

Got it in Sweeneys in Phibsboro

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mockgenius

Anyone know where I could get the Paulaner Oktoberfest bottles. They didn't have them in my local tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

mockgenius wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get the Paulaner Oktoberfest bottles. They didn't have them in my local tesco

JC Savages in Swords have them if its any good to you. They have Erdinger Oktoberfest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Noxious

Superquinn had them but as every year bundled them into their special offer and so I'd say most are gone.

Molloys in D15 had boxes of them.

Carry Out in Ashtown had them on Saturday. Might have one now

Mountain Man Green bullet - it's ok nothing special but I reckon it would be a good starter beer for people getting into hoppy beers.

Reminds me of something else that I can't put my finger on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mockgenius

seanmacc wrote: »
    JC Savages in Swords have them if its any good to you. They have Erdinger Oktoberfest as well.

Yeah, I'll have a look there. I got the Erdinger Oktoberfest in Martin's off licence in fairview. Lovely beer

Drinking a Paulaner now, you inspired me. Lovely and malty.

Finished off my Brewdog IPA is dead pack. Dana and Holdings. All this pack were very similar and very poor in my opinion.

Finished off my night with a Galway Bay Fullsail as tonights beers were pretty dull. I like this beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Keep going back to Founders Porter. Dont think Ive drank as many of the one beer in about three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

St. Austells Big Job. Strange beer. It smells lovely and is almost twice the abv of Proper Job yet it tastes much lighter, no real body to it at all.

I'm pretty sure Big Job tastes like a "Smaller" Job. I still think it tasted delicious, but not worth a fiver, if it's not going to tickle the tastebuds a bit more than it does.

I'm pretty sure Big Job tastes like a "Smaller" Job. I still think it tasted delicious, but not worth a fiver, if it's not going to tickle the tastebuds a bit more than it does.

Yeah it's nice enough but I think it misses the point of what it's supposed to be, given the name.

I definitely did a double take on the bottle after the first sip to check it was actually the Bog Job that I had opened.

I definitely did a double take on the bottle after the first sip to check it was actually the Bog Job that I had opened.

Lol

BaZmO* wrote: »
    St. Austells Big Job. Strange beer. It smells lovely and is almost twice the abv of Proper Job yet it tastes much lighter, no real body to it at all.

I really like Proper job. Might try it out just to see the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Carry Out in Ashtown had them on Saturday. Might have one now

Their latest beer tasting was on a variety of Oktoberfest beers so I would say they would have a bunch in stock.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Got one of these in for tonight. If it goes wrong, I'll have a Delirium Nocturnum as back-up. :)

bsb_imp_6371_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Oooh saw those at the Taste of Dublin.
    Where did you get it?

Finally trying a bottle of Buried at Sea tonight. Haven't had stout or porter in a while so it'll take me a while to readjust from my hoppy IPAs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Heroditas wrote: »
    Oooh saw those at the Taste of Dublin.
    Where did you get it?

Finally trying a bottle of Buried at Sea tonight. Haven't had stout or porter in a while so it'll take me a while to readjust from my hoppy IPAs.

There's an off-licence in Limerick selling it. Something silly like €2.70 a bottle. I think it was marked "best before August 2013". :pac:

Edit: Just opened it. Tastes gorgeous!

Jaipur on tap in L.Mulligans.

Same as myself, must be the return of winter weather during the week so bought myself a selection of stouts and a porter this evening. Buried at Sea which I've had before, after the initial taste it's pretty good, a Galway Bay Stormy Port which I've had on draught before and a Dungarvan Black Rock

I've just finished a McGrath's Irish Black Stout and it's really good, Stormy Port is up next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Had a bottle of SN pale ale tonight for the first time in a while with elephant and castle wings!:D

I used to think this was too hoppy! :pac:

I'm no sure I like it. It seems a little bit too carbonated for my liking, for a stout anyway.
    I also have a Knockmealdown Porter - haven't had one of them in nearly two years! Definitely time for the heavier beers with the nights getting longer. :)

I'm no sure I like it. It seems a little bit too carbonated for my liking, for a stout anyway.
    I also have a Knockmealdown Porter - haven't had one of them in nearly two years! Definitely time for the heavier beers with the nights getting longer. :)

I wasn't impressed initially either, a little disappointed in fact, but it grew on me quickly and was one of the rare drinks for me in which the ending was nicer than the beginning.

Edit, just made a mess pouring the Stormy Port, the McGrath's poured fairly flat so just poured away expecting the same. It's now a mess of three quarters head and sudz.

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    Had a bottle of SN pale ale tonight for the first time in a while with elephant and castle wings!:D

I used to think this was too hoppy! :pac:

Ha, I had one a few weeks back in a bar in Dublin (only craft option) and I was thinking to myself "hold on, this used to be bitter".
    Lovely, malty pale ale :P

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I wasn't impressed initially either, a little disappointed in fact, but it grew on me quickly and was one of the rare drinks for me in which the ending was nicer than the beginning.

Edit, just made a mess pouring the Stormy Port, the McGrath's poured fairly flat so just poured away expecting the same. It's now a mess of three quarters head and sudz.

Seems the under carbonation issue have been solved so :pac:

@ThisRegard, Buried at Sea is the sort of beer I wouldn't drink straight from the fridge. I'd always take out out and leave it for about 45 miniutes before drinking as it's a beer that needs to be about 10-14c to be properly tasted, when it's cold you won't taste it fully.

Brewdog Nanny State. Very surprised at the colour of this, it's a reddish brown like 5am Saint. For some reason I was expecting it to be like a lager, probably because all low to zero alcohol beers tend to be like lagers.

The beer itself is in essence a 5am Saint in everything but body and abv. Nice enough for what it is.

There's an off-licence in Limerick selling it. Something silly like €2.70 a bottle. I think it was marked "best before August 2013". :pac:

I went back to the same offie today and the remaining 5 or 6 bottles of the Black Sheep Imperial Russian Stout were gone. All the La Trappe Dubbel was gone too. Some stylish bastard must have gone on a serious beer run! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Just had a Flying Dog DoggieStyle classic pale ale, very nice

• Advertisement

Can't decide if I want to go out and have a few beers tonight or stay in, watch **** tv and have a few bottles from McHughes...

hohum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Can't decide if I want to go out and have a few beers tonight or stay in, watch **** tv and have a few bottles from McHughes...

hohum...

it's a nice sunny mild afternoon so get out there and have a few pts, will be plenty of cold wet nights that you can sit in.

njoy whatever you do, im going to my local for a birthday party and its Bud or Guinness for me :(

Going to The Lighthouse cinema tonight, couple of bottles of O'Hara's Red or Pale

@ThisRegard, Buried at Sea is the sort of beer I wouldn't drink straight from the fridge. I'd always take out out and leave it for about 45 miniutes before drinking as it's a beer that needs to be about 10-14c to be properly tasted, when it's cold you won't taste it fully.

Cheers for the tip, I'll remember for the next one, I literally just opened a bottle right from the fridge before checking out this thread. I'll be nursing it for a bit so it'll probably be near room temperature by the time I finish!

And yeah, there's definitely no issue with carbonation, I poured slowly and gently before leaving the room, came back and it grew an icecream cone style head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

My wife picked me up a few beers, she doesn't drink herself & wouldn't know much about beer. She just knows not to buy "mainstream"!!

Drinking "McGrath's Red Ale" which apparently is "craft brewed in Ireland by Clanconnel Brewing". Saw a few of their beers in The Pav a while back when in for a college reunion but not seen it much in off licences/pubs

I usually find red ales bland enough vs craft stouts & IPAs but this is lovely. Far more distinctive taste than O'Haras red or Dungarvan Copper Coast IMO

Had their stout a few weeks back, really enjoyed that too.

My wife picked me up a few beers, she doesn't drink herself & wouldn't know much about beer.

:eek: Why did you marry her!! :pac:

This is my selection, from Drinkstore

1378704_10151690838103873_240334637_n.jpg

The Kinnegar Rye Ale is brilliant, love this stuff.

Wasn't pushed on other Kinnegar beers, but I like Ruthless Rye - it's not as hoppy as the Ruthless, but the Rye profile is much more forward, and I like it a lot.

Well done Kinnegar, this could become my go-to drink, I like it that much.

Ended up going out with mates, we are in a late bar just off Dame st. They have O'Hara's red, seirra Nevada pale and anchor steam so I'm on the red.

O'Hara's red might be one of the most under appreciated beers brewed in Ireland.

Its fecking lovely.

Ended up going out with mates, we are in a late bar just off Dame st. They have O'Hara's red, seirra Nevada pale and anchor steam so I'm on the red.

O'Hara's red might be one of the most under appreciated beers brewed in Ireland.

Its fecking lovely.

4 Dame Lane by any chance?

I ended up pouring some of it down the sink. Just couldn't warm to it at all. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement