Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Heroditas wrote: »
    4 Dame Lane by any chance?

Ha. Yeah.

P.s. **** Dublin in general.

Such a **** city beer wise.

One third of the population live here boy there are only a handful of decent bars.

I ended up pouring some of it down the sink. Just couldn't warm to it at all. :(

You're wrong, but thats ok, people are wrong all the time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My local GAA team just won the county hurling title, so I went looking for something nice to help me celebrate. Alas, my local offie was closed! So the plan to get a few Buried At Seas will have to wait.

I went into town for a few Dead Pony Clubs and ended up walking out with a bottle of Tokyo*. Now I'm half afraid to open it! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

My local GAA team just won the county hurling title, so I went looking for something nice to help me celebrate. Alas, my local offie was closed! So the plan to get a few Buried At Seas will have to wait.

I went into town for a few Dead Pony Clubs and ended up walking out with a bottle of Tokyo*. Now I'm half afraid to open it! :eek:

My local gaa team just won the county hurling title as well today!
    Would your local gaa team be in a commuter town outside Dublin?:P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Scortho wrote: »
    My local gaa team just won the county hurling title as well today!
    Would your local gaa team be in a commuter town outside Dublin?:P

I'd hate to have to commute from the edge of Limerick city! :D I think there were 8 county finals played around the country today. Congrats to your crowd anyway!

I'd hate to have to commute from the edge of Limerick city! :D I think there were 8 county finals played around the country today. Congrats to your crowd anyway!

Jesus I was way off the mark! Well done!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I know some of you lads love this beer but I must be just not good with lambic beers.

Lindemans Cassis is on tap in LMulligans and it was just too sweet for me.
    I live blackcurrents but this was just too sweet and sour.
    Has a pink foamy head which makes it look unusual.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I know some of you lads love this beer but I must be just not good with lambic beers.

Lindemans Cassis is on tap in LMulligans and it was just too sweet for me.
    I live blackcurrents but this was just too sweet and sour.
    Has a pink foamy head which makes it look unusual.

Lambics basically just taste like alcoholic, tart, fizzy drinks to me.

There is s reason Belgians call them girl beers. :-P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I wouldn't regard Lindemans Cassis as any way representative of good lambic. Their Cuvée René gueuze and kriek are pretty decent, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Im the same, lambics are a step in the wrong direction for my gob.
    DSC_0299_zpscde79414.jpg
    This was my batch for the wknd.
    Best was la chouffe and the hardcore ipa (mega grapefruity yum). Double dog had an unplesant something in the background but raging bitch was ace.
    The frans jemmie stout is stellar. A good wknd so!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Heading to Maastricht, Dusseldorf and Cologne this week for the Ireland match.

Anyone any Maastricht recommendations? I've been to Dusseldorf and Cologne already, already have a few places in mind for there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been enjoying the Founders range and the Hardknot range over the last week.
    Both top class beers.
    Also Metalman PA, as always!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was in Superquinn over the weekend and availed of their 6 for 5 offer. I picked up 4 Dungarvan beers, 2 Helvick Gold, 1 Copper Coast & 1 Black Rock.

I've always liked Helvick Gold and pick up a bottle or two every now and then. Could never get used to the other two but decided to give them a bash again. I'm glad I did, they were beautiful, and lot different to what I remember them being.

The Red was a lot fruitier than I remember it being, and didn't have that off putting bitterness that I don't like in a lot of English Ales that I've had with this beer before. The Stout, although still a dry stout, seemed to have a much sweeter and rounder profile. I used one of the Helvick's in a stew and the other one I drank was as lovely as always. Not sure if the recipe has changed or my tastes have changed.

I also got a Headless Dog and I think a Donegal Blonde. Tried the HD before and wasn't a fan and haven't tried the DB yet.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I wouldn't regard Lindemans Cassis as any way representative of good lambic. Their Cuvée René gueuze and kriek are pretty decent, though.

Are they less sickeningly sweet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hugely, though not extremely dry either. For that you need to go to the likes of Cantillon or the unfruited Boon lambics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

The driest lambic I've had has been the 3 Fonteinen one they have in Baggot Street Wines. Love it but a whole bottle of that kind of sourness is a bit much. Cuvee Rene is good go to stuff, as is the Rodenbach Grand Cru. Other good ones I've found here are Cantillon and Boon Mariage Parfait.

The sweeter fruit lambics are not my thing. Maybe those are girly or whatever you want to call them but the sour ones are definitely an acquired taste and therefore a bit more grown up stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I like the sweet lambics. I often have one with breakfast at the weekend.

drumswan wrote: »
    I like the sweet lambics. I often have one with breakfast at the weekend.

Lambics? dont you mean Weetabix ?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Got a few bottles of Widmer's Hopside Down India Pale Lager at the weekend. It's quite interesting; it's not as sharp as many IPA's are but it's flavoursome, smooth, not at all overly sweet and it's very drinkable. Definitely one for a second evenings quaffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Had a Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout. Absolutely delicious. I'd tried their Pale Ale before and while I thought that was a nice example of the style, I found it hard to reconcile the price tag with the product. Their Imperial Stout is full on glorious though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Got a few bottles of Widmer's Hopside Down India Pale Lager at the weekend. It's quite interesting; it's not as sharp as many IPA's are but it's flavoursome, smooth, not at all overly sweet and it's very drinkable. Definitely one for a second evenings quaffing.

Try their Nelson Imperial IPA. They have them in a lot of Superquinns. It's pretty great.

Tonight, I picked up three Proper Jobs for 7 quid in Tesco. Pretty good deal, it's almost like a bottle free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

irish_goat wrote: »
    Heading to Maastricht, Dusseldorf and Cologne this week for the Ireland match.

Anyone any Maastricht recommendations? I've been to Dusseldorf and Cologne already, already have a few places in mind for there.

Sorry bit off-topic but memories of Maastricht. stayed in a guesthouse and a typical Dutch breakfast was a slice of cheese, a slice of ham and a bread roll. I wasn't sure if it was my breakfast or she wanted me to bait a mousetrap.

Beer? Not for a while... Aldi own brand pear cider lately. €3.99 per 2L. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Grayditch wrote: »
    Try their Nelson Imperial IPA. They have them in a lot of Superquinns. It's pretty great.

Funnily enough, I got some of the Rotator a few weeks now and it's due a try out. A Nelson is next on the list :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

In California at the moment and the selection is incredible. This is one of the best beers I've ever had:

zSB7VkKl.jpg

For tonight:
    TIFW8Qgl.jpg

And the weekend:
    YsXoN3fl.jpg

*Drools*...

Rogue Yellow Snow IPA Really good IPA.
    Its a hazy orange coloured beer and it tastes really good too.

Hoppy but not too over powering slightly sweet initially then a lovely grapefruit and grassy taste.
    Not too carbonated either.

One of the better Rogue beers.

I had a bottle of O'Hara's Leann Folláin last night, just because it had been a while. What a stout! I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Where is good in Limerick city, pubs and offies? I never know where to go when I'm home

Where is good in Limerick city, pubs and offies? I never know where to go when I'm home

Pubs: The Blind Pig (Thomas Street) is probably the best. The Crafty Fox (Denmark Street, used to be McDaid's/The CuckooBox/Whelan's) is a craft bar now too. Tom Collins (Cecil Street) has a good mix of old and new.
    There are a few other spots that would pour a very good Guinness, but these three give you plenty of choice.

The best offies (in order of my own preference) are Desmond's Next Door on the Father Russell Road, Fine Wines on Catherine Street, O'Brien's Wines at the Park Way shopping centre, and the off licence at Greenpark Shopping Centre near Ballinacurra.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Pubs: The Blind Pig (Thomas Street) is probably the best. The Crafty Fox (Denmark Street, used to be McDaid's/The CuckooBox/Whelan's) is a craft bar now too. Tom Collins (Cecil Street) has a good mix of old and new.
    There are a few other spots that would pour a very good Guinness, but these three give you plenty of choice.

The best offies (in order of my own preference) are Desmond's Next Door on the Father Russell Road, Fine Wines on Catherine Street, O'Brien's Wines at the Park Way shopping centre, and the off licence at Greenpark Shopping Centre near Ballinacurra.

Cheers for that, had heard of The Blind Pig but none of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

RonanC wrote: »
    In California at the moment and the selection is incredible. This is one of the best beers I've ever had:

I was there last month - for me it's the world capital of beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ravelleman wrote: »

Ahead of Oregon? Controversial. :D

Anyway, so done please ban Ronan for tormenting us with pictures of bottles of Stone.

Ahead of Oregon? Controversial. :D

I'll add Oregon in there too since California is already the size of Germany and all... A rather large capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Stone Ruination - bit disappointed with it. Crossed the line from bitter to sickly-sweet. It may have been skunked, though. Bottles fizzed over when opened.

Rogue Dead Guy - hit the perfect spot of hoppiness.

Spaten Oktoberfest, makes a welcome return. Not the belle of the ball, but it's solid and tasty, for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

Brown paper bag Doxie. Lovely citrus aroma, orange and lemon.
    Massive head when I poured it and high carbonation.
    Dry finish, tastes kind of muted at the end but bit of a grapefruit kick too.
    Will try it again, with food I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Redbreast cask strength, a noble dram!
    Poetic licence on the 'Beer' in what beer are we drinking this week lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had a Brewdog "Hello my name is mette marit", not a great DIPA, pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ravelleman wrote: »

Moved to California a few months ago, even the supermarkets have great selections.
    Had the Northern Californian IPA by Moylans who are based just North of San Francisco, nice but a bit resiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ipso wrote: »
    Moved to California a few months ago, even the supermarkets have great selections.
    Had the Northern Californian IPA by Moylans who are based just North of San Francisco, nice but a bit resiny.

Some would say that that a good selling point. :)

Not sure how accurate this is but here is a hop chart I saw on Little Creatures Facebook today.

http://hopschart.com/zoom.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Some would say that that a good selling point. :)

They do label it as resiny, not keen on that taste myself.

Having two bottles of O'Hara's Stout tonight to unwind after a long day of doing sweet feck all.

Had a Metalman Moonbeam on cask in WJ Kavanaghs earlier. It was nice - hoppy, a little bit of a tang but not as heavy as I expected. I tried a little bit of their Chameleon Solstice as well but really thought it was lacking in character - mildly citrus-y, very little body, something of a 'lite' beer, I thought.

I'd like to make a disclaimer to my sweet feck all comment.

I'm a fulltime student and part time youth worker.

I have college classes monday, tuesday and friday and should be working tuesday evenings and thursdays.

I am currently waiting for Garda vetting nonsense so I can start work, but there's a backlog, so it's a few weeks of trying to find stuff to keep me busy!

• Advertisement

Fecking typical students, burdens on the state!
    Says yours truly, a month after finishing his MA. :pac:
    Best of luck with the night of stout and the job-hunt.

I got one bottle each of Kwak and Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rhye (which I know I like) and a Triple Karmeliet (which I'm looking forward to trying) for tonight.

Fecking typical students, burdens on the state!
    Says yours truly, a month after finishing his MA. :pac:
    Best of luck with the night of stout and the job-hunt.

I got one bottle each of Kwak and Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rhye (which I know I like) and a Triple Karmeliet (which I'm looking forward to trying) for tonight.

Cheers, I have the job, just waiting on vetting!
    Also, I'm 29 and was a long suffering member of the PRSI club, so I'm just taking back what I'm owed :P

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd like to make a disclaimer to my sweet feck all comment.

I'm a fulltime student and part time youth worker.

I have college classes monday, tuesday and friday and should be working tuesday evenings and thursdays.

I am currently waiting for Garda vetting nonsense so I can start work, but there's a backlog, so it's a few weeks of trying to find stuff to keep me busy!

That's part time student!:pac:
    I'm lucky if I'm not in before 10 and out before 7 Monday -Friday. :(

Fair play for heading back to college. Not an easy thing to do as a mature student, especially when most of your year will be still 18.

Scortho wrote: »
    That's part time student!:pac:
    I'm lucky if I'm not in before 10 and out before 7 Monday -Friday. :(

Fair play for heading back to college. Not an easy thing to do as a mature student, especially when most of your year will be still 18.

I leave my house and 7am and I'm lucky to be home at 5.30, so I'd call it fulltime when you add in assignments, and I have classes all day, 15 minute break at 11am and 45 minutes at 1.15pm.

It's like fecking secondary school!!!

And yeah, was weird the first few days with all the chungwans all over the place but luckily my course is mostly people over 23 and there are a few around my age so I don't feel too old!

Seaneh wrote: »
    I leave my house and 7am and I'm lucky to be home at 5.30, so I'd call it fulltime when you add in assignments, and I have classes all day, 15 minute break at 11am and 45 minutes at 1.15pm.

It's like fecking secondary school!!!

And yeah, was weird the first few days with all the chungwans all over the place but luckily my course is mostly people over 23 and there are a few around my age so I don't feel too old!

Leave at half 6 and rare that I'm home before 8!:(
    Only home now because I went to the cafe be seine of all places.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement