Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Silly mature students! Your meant to skip half of your lectures! And stop asking questions ;-)

Had a pint of sweetmans pale ale and porter the other night and they tasted quite a bit blander/cleaner, hope it was a once off or just my taste that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Last night I had one of each of the following: Rogue Dead Man, Brew Dog Dogma, Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar and O'Hara's red.

I think the hazelnut is tastiest thing I've ever tasted :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

adamski8 wrote: »
    Silly mature students! Your meant to skip half of your lectures! And stop asking questions ;-)

Had a pint of sweetmans pale ale and porter the other night and they tasted quite a bit blander/cleaner, hope it was a once off or just my taste that night.

I'm going into Sweetman's tonight, so will need to sample these, because the last time I was there the porter was not on - it was in production - but anytime I've been in before that I've found the porter to be the best beer of it's style being produced in Ireland (Dark Arts, Galway Bay porter, various others like Blackrock, Belfast Black)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Had a couple of pints of the pale and the porter in Sweetmans last night and they were excellent.

Jaysis!!

All of Sweetmans beers are nice. I'm not usually a fan of IPAs, or weiss beers for that matter, but I even thought those were damn tasty. Barmen are all sound too.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Really have to get up to Dublin and finally visit Sweetmans. :/ For now though, got some Kinnegar and Hilden goodies, yet more Irish beer I've not tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Ive noticed Thornbridge stuff around lately, had Jaipur on tap and from the bottle, and some other pale ale from the bottle. They were both magnificent, expensive but worth it.

Really have to get up to Dublin and finally visit Sweetmans. :/ For now though, got some Kinnegar and Hilden goodies, yet more Irish beer I've not tried.

did you get the Kinnegar Rye?

It made a jump up my favourites list, and it's in my top 5 of Irish beers now. Levely stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

did you get the Kinnegar Rye?

It made a jump up my favourites list, and it's in my top 5 of Irish beers now. Levely stuff altogether.

Yep, Rustbucket and Limeburner, and Hilden's Twisted Hop. I'll be doing the rest too eventually, but they were around €3.79 a pop so I couldn't get the lot. Really looking forward to the Rustbucket yeah, heard lots of great things about it.

• Advertisement

Have you had Ruthless Rye?

It's similar-ish to that, but without so many up-front hops - which is why I love it.

That smooth, kind of spicey, Rye flavour is absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

twisted hop is quite nice. Best of the Hilden beers i.m.h.o. Though the age of the beer does make big difference, have found this with few of the craft beers, like the homebrew it needs time to mature

In sweetmans now again. they actually great, must have been a bad night by myself. I love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

O Shea's Stout from Aldi.

Lovely beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I like the sweetmans beers but the last few time's I've been in the (table) service has been really poor.

I've chatted to the barmen before and they are sound, but the poor service has put me off the bar a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar - if you like hazelnuts then you will love this.

Every time I lift the glass to drink I get a huge whiff ifv hazelnuts followed by the strong taste of hazelnuts.

Its quite malty also but no it my type of beer. Too nutty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is Innis & Gunn stout worth trying? I might see if I can get a bottle or two later on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Is Innis & Gunn stout worth trying? I might see if I can get a bottle or two later on.

Is that the "Irish Whiskey Aged Stout"?

If so, give it a miss.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar - if you like hazelnuts then you will love this.

Every time I lift the glass to drink I get a huge whiff ifv hazelnuts followed by the strong taste of hazelnuts.

Its quite malty also but no it my type of beer. Too nutty.

I found it tasted too much like that hazelnut syrup you get in cafe's as coffee flavouring, makes it sickly after a few mouthfulls.

Tastes great at first but by the end of the pint I feel like I've been drinking a glass of hazelnut flavoured sugarwater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had three beers in San Francisco last night; first was Stone's Pale Ale, unremarkable to be honest. I was expecting mire based on the popularity of their IPA's.
    Next was Snake Oil IPA by the bar Elixir, lovely aroma but bland taste.
    Best of the three was Scrimshaw Pilsner by North Coast Brewing, not whatI was expecting as it came across as what I thought a wheat beer would be like. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Ipso wrote: »
    Had three beers in San Francisco last night; first was Stone's Pale Ale, unremarkable to be honest. I was expecting mire based on the popularity of their IPA's.
    Next was Snake Oil IPA by the bar Elixir, lovely aroma but bland taste.
    Best of the three was Scrimshaw Pilsner by North Coast Brewing, not whatI was expecting as it came across as what I thought a wheat beer would be like. Worth checking out.

See if you can land some cans of Heady Topper from The Alchemist, meant to be fab!

DSC_0334_zps329e4f23.jpg
    This is my weekend batch. The bourbon barrel aged ONE from Struise is divine...
    The hopside down is 'typical' and drinkable but pretty unremarkable, houblon chouffe triple ipa kicks its arse :)
    Havnt tried the leffe radieuse, anyonr comment on it?

Seaneh wrote: »
    I found it tasted too much like that hazelnut syrup you get in cafe's as coffee flavouring, makes it sickly after a few mouthfulls.

Tastes great at first but by the end of the pint I feel like I've been drinking a glass of hazelnut flavoured sugarwater.

Yeah agree 100% its too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rogue Dead Guy Ale.

Not bad at all but not their best brew.

Porterhouse Louder.
    Very thick feeling and syrupy very much like raisin juice.
    There is just too much alcohol in this for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Had a Lindemans Goudenband, very tasty, a nice brown ale with some sourness. It reminded me of one of the brewdog abstrakt beers(possibly #10), does anybody know what is giving that distinct taste at the start of each sip ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

H_Lime wrote: »
    See if you can land some cans of Heady Topper from The Alchemist, meant to be fab!

This is my weekend batch. The bourbon barrel aged ONE from Struise is divine...
    The hopside down is 'typical' and drinkable but pretty unremarkable, houblon chouffe triple ipa kicks its arse :)
    Havnt tried the leffe radieuse, anyonr comment on it?

Heady Topper is indeed amazing. My uncle sent one over a few months ago along with a Dreadnaught IPA and a Zombie Dust both from Three Floyds.

Anyway, if people like IPAs I got a few Centennial IPAs from Founders in my local O'Briens yesterday. I was delighted to see Founders as they're, in my opinion, one of the best breweries in the US. If anyone sees their Red Rye, KBS, or Breakfast Stout, scoop them up and tell me where you got them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Flying Dog Horn Dog...been saving this for the last 18 months...robust to say the least :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've had about 5 or 6 Rouge Hazelnut Brown Ales in total and maybe it's just me, but there was a couple that really had that sickly sweet taste at the end, while others maintained a subtle and light enough hazelnut flavour without that bit at the end. One had a strong hazelnut taste from the kick off, which I didn't enjoy. Seemed a little inconsistent to me, I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Had some Ginger Joe Ginger Beer last night with an Indian.

Very very nice and refreshing. Lovely gingery aftertaste. probably more of a Summer beer but went very well with the curry, so much so that I'll get some more and keep in reserve.

Only €2 in Supervalu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Beernut, were you at a house party in Limerick last night?

• Advertisement

Last night's round up between Salt House and Bierhaus.

Founders Porter: Nomfeckingnom
    Founders Centennial: Majornoms
    Buried at Sea: Gets nommier and nommier
    5AM Saint: nomnomnomnom
    Troubled Hooker: Collaborative nommyness
    Fullsail: Hopnoms

I missed Galway, I don't want to go back to smelly Dublin...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beernut, were you at a house party in Limerick last night?
    Not that I noticed, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

had my first bottle of proper job last night wow lovely stuff. Followed it with a Hilden twisted hop and a flying scotsman. Will definately be getting more properjob.

have a bottle of turbo cider made with bread yeast as that's all i had chilling in the fridge waiting for love hate. It ll be interesting to see which will be the nastiest though should be a good match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

This evening O'Hara's Leann Follain.

My favourite stout, from my favourite glass.

10252130953_401ee1d78d_z.jpg
    phealy1982, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

That is an unreal photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Having a Thornbridge Chiron IPA. Not too bad but they're very over-priced for what you get.
    I think I first noticed it when I was over in the UK this summer and saw bottles of Thornbridge for £2.
    €4 seems a tad overpriced as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Founders porter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Boogoop - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Mikkeller collaboration. It's my first time trying a Wheatwine and it's amazing, so complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Popped into Doyles in Dublin today and had Dead Pony Club by Brewdog, they have some Craft Beer bottles and Metalman on tap (maybe more)

10253484714_e1532866ff_z.jpg

Doyles by trinity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

adamski8 wrote: »
    Doyles by trinity?

Yep.
    Downstairs only I think. I was surprised when I saw metalman there but delighted at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

smoked porter by alaskan brewing ' delicious and some mikkeller breakfast oatmeal stout also lovely

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

33 cls of Gouden Carolus Classic. Absolutely lovely.

smoked porter by alaskan brewing ' delicious and some mikkeller breakfast oatmeal stout also lovely

lovely rhe alaskan alright, gonna try attempt brewing something close to it

Grayditch wrote: »
    I've had about 5 or 6 Rouge Hazelnut Brown Ales in total and maybe it's just me, but there was a couple that really had that sickly sweet taste at the end, while others maintained a subtle and light enough hazelnut flavour without that bit at the end. One had a strong hazelnut taste from the kick off, which I didn't enjoy. Seemed a little inconsistent to me, I dunno.

I've had this a few times, the first couple were gorgeous, but I had one last night and it wasn't as tasty as the others.

Also had a bottle of Buried At Sea, first time I've got it in the offie, usually just have pints of it. Tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

H_Lime wrote: »

The hopside down is 'typical' and drinkable but pretty unremarkable,

I had one myself last night. I was torn between buying it and their Imperial IPA and went for the Hopside instead. Boy was I disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Heroditas wrote: »
    I had one myself last night. I was torn between buying it and their Imperial IPA and went for the Hopside instead. Boy was I disappointed.
    I was underwhelmed by this too. On reading the label, it is described as being between a lager and an IPA - result: an IPA with no finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's nothing going on in Hopside Down. The Nelson Imperial IPA is where it's at, although not the same style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Scortho wrote: »
    Yep.
    Downstairs only I think. I was surprised when I saw metalman there but delighted at the same time.

They have a few BrewDog, Metalman, Crew & a few others, some taps change often enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Having a 5 lamps liberties ale, just bottled and should be making its way around the place soon.

Very impressed, good session beer, will defo be getting more for myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement