Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Kinnegar Lineburner is a much sweeter beer.
    Smells amazing quite sweet beer good as a summer ale I'd say.
    Not my type of beer to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

XyiCYz1l.jpg

Enjoying the Kinnegar atm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My haul for tonight, 4 for €10 in McHughe's, noice.

Starting on the All Day IPA, porter and Pale Ale were both off the shelf so they need some time in the fridge.

2520_10151918858781294_182704058_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Seaneh wrote: »

Starting on the All Day IPA, porter and Pale Ale were both off the shelf so they need some time in the fridge.

Just had the pale ale, very nice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Back into the Wetherspoons festival today. Had a pint of Stone's Supremely Self Concious Black Ale and I have to say I was disappointed. At first it was nice, full of really fresh citrus hops and with a subtle roastyness but after a few more sips all I could taste was far too much bitterness. I love bitter beers but this was just too much. By the end of the pint I'd decided it was more than enough for me. I'd not buy it again tbh.

After that I had Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream. Didn't really think this was great either, there was a weird taste in it and it wasn't until I checked the tasting notes that I could figure out what it was, melon.

Best of the bunch was Cambridge Brewing Company's Sgt. Pepper that I had last night. It's a saison style beer made with 4 types of peppercorn. Really nice spicy kick on the aftertaste. Took a few sips to get into but I ended up ordering another one as it got really good by the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Just had the pale ale, very nice

Having one myself too at the moment!
    Got it, the all-day, Centennial and Dirty B@stard earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Got the exact same ones, this time. I think I might regret not switching the All Day to a Dirty Bastard, but I'll decide that after I drink it, I guess.

The Dry Hopp was lovely, but it doesn't beat the Centennial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Having Flying Dog's "The Fear" - imperial pumpkin ale. A little bland to be honest. You can get that initial strong DIPA taste, but the pumpkin and spices(nutmeg and cinnamon I'd say) brings it back down. Cool label design as usual for Flying Dog beers.

Finished off the night with Helvick Gold. It really is a good beer that never disappoints.
    I'm out of stock now so need to stock up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

The All Day is something else ! It's just a bit of a pity it would cost about €25 to drink it all day ! Have a dirty bastard in the fridge for tomorrow night, and a couple of centennials, looking forward to it i must say.:):)

• Advertisement

Had the pale ale after the All Day, they were both fantastic beers.

Have the Porter and the Centenial for tomorrow.

nomnomnom.

Tried the Smithicks Winter spirit it's not a bad beer actually.
    It has that Smithicks malty taste but darker colour and a little hoppy.

Prefer this than their pale ale.

3 Knockmealdown for €6 in Centra in Galway so I'm giving it another chance.

First bottle didn't explode when I opened it and doesn't sour or smell weird.

umpteenth time lucky I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Breznak Czech dark beer.

Cheap as hell here, light, full-bodied, delicious. Definitely my favourite dark beer I've found out here, and the closest to the likes of the stouts in Ireland. Prost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Selection from Drinkstore. Got the Iron Maiden for the \m/ that's all - it's rather bland.

1382388_10151715111983873_1097246279_n.jpg

got the Rustbucket because I love it and I want them to keep making it.

What's the O'Hara's DIPA like?

Haven't opened it yet :)

I'm just in from the Cinema, and just opened the Iron Maiden.

I don't know what order to drink these in, probably have the DIPA last, so I can taste the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Selection from Drinkstore. Got the Iron Maiden for the \m/ that's all - it's rather bland.

1382388_10151715111983873_1097246279_n.jpg

got the Rustbucket because I love it and I want them to keep making it.
    :eek: This is my jealous face.

Had my Maui Coconut Porter, loved it. Perfect balance of dry roasty malts and a little toasted coconut character, fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Has anyone tried the Founder's Dirty Bastard yet ? Don't know if it's just me but it was a bit of a let down.

I cleared out the last couple of Augustiner Helles from the local carry out, happy days. I got a few bottles of Hacker pschorr Oktoberfest as well, I have good memories of that beer :)

• Advertisement

Azza89 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Founder's Dirty Bastard yet ? Don't know if it's just me but it was a bit of a let down.

Its OK very scotch ale american type of beer.
    Quite malty bit of an alcohol kick from it also. Not my everyday type of beer.

Had the pale ale after the All Day, they were both fantastic beers.

Have the Porter and the Centenial for tomorrow.

nomnomnom.

Liked the All Day but the pale ale was very dissapointing IMO.

The Odell's Red Ale above is lovely. Nice malty flavours, bit of an alcohol warmth. I was a bit wary when I read "a variety of aggressive American hops" - the hops are there, but very much in the background.

This is almost like a Williams Bros 80 Shilling, in the same category (I realise Odell's themselves do a beer called 90 Shilling).

Gorgeous stuff.

I like Odells, lovely smooth quality to all of their beers.

Azza89 wrote: »

Had one tonight, fine malty beast, hides the alcohol well and has just enough hops to keep it in check.

As far as scotch ales go, it's one of the better ones I've had.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Liked the All Day but the pale ale was very dissapointing IMO.

I like the pale myself.
    On the maltier side of the pale ale spectrum, but I like that sort of beer.
    To me Pale Ales are never beers that jump out and grab you with big flavours, it's a style that's very balanced and tends to be designed for sessionability more than big flavours. If you compare it to American IPAs it's not going to be a winner on the flavour front but compared to other APAs I think it more than holds it's own.

Seaneh, if you've a few more minutes, the DIPA is about to be opened!

The Hopside Down is fairly bland, but that's after the Odell's.

I've a Dirty Bastard in the press, but won't be touched tonight, the % frightens me after 5 beers.

Seaneh, if you've a few more minutes, the DIPA is about to be opened!

The Hopside Down is fairly bland, but that's after the Odell's.

I've a Dirty Bastard in the press, but won't be touched tonight, the % frightens me after 5 beers.

Looking forward to the findings :P

Hoping McHugh's in Artane have it so I can pick one up for myself.

Actually, the Hopside Down is LESS hoppy than the Odell's.

wtf kind of beer is it even supposed to be?

"India Style Pale Lager" - is that a thing?

It's 6.7%, but I don't get that from it.

Right, the O'Hara's DIPA is a bit of a disappointment, it's not very different to the Irish Pale Ale, maybe slightly more bitter - it's very obviously an O'Hara's too - not a bad thing per se.

Not hiding the 7.5%, again not a bad thing, I want to know if my beer is in the higher % range.

I'm actually a bit confused.

What, exactly, is a "Double" IPA? I'm further confused - does the IPA in this refer back to their "Irish" Pale, or is it a Double India Pale Ale?

there is a good bit of sweetness in this one, and not enough hops to counter that - for the style.

On the other hand, it's not a bad beer taken in isolation.

People looking for a hop bomb are going to be disappointed, people looking for a twist on O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale will be happy - and for that reason I'm happy - it's like a HD version of that - they've added their Irish Pale to their Irish Pale, so it's a Double Irish Pale.

It's not sitting beside SN Torpedo "Extra IPA" in the bitterness stakes, not at all. So if you are expecting an Irish hop party, don't get this.

It's a grand beer, but I just don't see the point in it - it's not breaking any boundaries here, not even in Irish beer circles. It's not to their Pale Ale as LF is to their stout.

In other beers, I was in Oscar's beside The Lighthouse Cinema this evening, had a Shandon Stout - much nicer than I remember, it's a decent stout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

O Haras DIPA is not bad. They shouldve just released it as an 'india pale ale' so peoples expectations were not let down when drinking it.

Post Road Pumpkin Ale - Brooklyn Brewery I liked this beer nice pumpkin taste and slightly spicy also.
    Initially you get pumpkin followed by a spicy nutmeg and clove taste.
    Really liked this not too carbonated either which suited this perfectly.

I really hope Hopside down doesn't turn people off trying Widmer Bros' IPA's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

got a bottle of Einstok Toasted Porter http://einstokbeer.com/home.html plus a few btls of Founders Porter and Centennial.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I finally braved a bottle of Brew Dog Hardcore yesterday. Pure rocket fuel. Lovely stuff! I might try leaving it in the fridge a bit longer next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

blueshed wrote: »
    got a bottle of Einstok Toasted Porter http://einstokbeer.com/home.html plus a few btls of Founders Porter and Centennial.

I nearly bought that today too. Was really on the prowl for some alaskan smoked porter but had to settle for the founders range.

Had a red hook pumpkin porter. Decent enough,nice mix of spicies, hid the alcohol well but maybe a bit weak with flavour and i didnt get any pumpkin (not sure how a pumpkin ale is meant to taste though)

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    Had a red hook pumpkin porter. Decent enough,nice mix of spicies, hid the alcohol well but maybe a bit weak with flavour and i didnt get any pumpkin (not sure how a pumpkin ale is meant to taste though)

I didn't think the flavour was too strong at first, but the next morning, all I could taste was pumpkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Grayditch wrote: »
    I didn't think the flavour was too strong at first, but the next morning, all I could taste was pumpkin.

Just finished a few founders:
    Porter- quite nice, got mainly coffee off it but didnt think it was a complete porter, i was surprised that online it rates so high.
    All day pale ale- probably my fav very nice tasting with lots of floral smells and tastes.
    Dry hopped pale ale- not as nice as the all day, quite dry tasting in comparsion and prob my least fav.
    Centennial ipa- quite a good ipa. Bit more sweet than a torpedo which is similar in %

Pretty impressed by the overall range anyway. might try the bastard but i doubt it will be to my taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

adamski8 wrote: »
    Just finished a few founders:
    Porter- quite nice, got mainly coffee off it but didnt think it was a complete porter, i was surprised that online it rates so high.
    All day pale ale- probably my fav very nice tasting with lots of floral smells and tastes.
    Dry hopped pale ale- not as nice as the all day, quite dry tasting in comparsion and prob my least fav.
    Centennial ipa- quite a good ipa. Bit more sweet than a torpedo which is similar in %

Pretty impressed by the overall range anyway. might try the bastard but i doubt it will be to my taste

Bastard is very nice but I'm only going on the small tasting I had. I didn't think much of Centennial when I tried it in Carry Out but it was straight out of the case so was a bit warm. Drank a bottle last night and was very impressed.
    Quite liked dry hopped and the all-day when they were chilled. Thought the all-day is a dead ringer for Punk!

Liked the All Day. Smoother and not as strong for the suggested sessioning, but it has a lovely fruitiness. Had the Centennial after and that's still my favourite of the three Founder's IPA's I've had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

To Øl Sundancer. At 2.7% it's aimed at being an uber session beer. Probably more suited to a summer beer. Very light body, but packs in the citrus hoppy flavours. Nice for what it is.

• Advertisement

Drinking a Narwhal, it's grand, not the best Imperial Stout I've ever had but damned good all the same. perfect for sipping while watching the telly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I need to get one of those for my winter stout/porter collection...

I need to get one of those for my winter stout/porter collection...

I saw plenty of boxes in Drinkstore today. Didn't pick one up as I was just there to get the last of the Hoptimum for the other half.

Sorry just realised you may not be in Dublin.

I saw plenty of boxes in Drinkstore today. Didn't pick one up as I was just there to get the last of the Hoptimum for the other half.

Sorry just realised you may not be in Dublin.

I order from Drinkstore every so often. Do they have the Founders stuff at the moment as well? I might get a few things delivered together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Having the stone ruination ipa that i got about 6 weeks back.
    Probably should have had it at the time, but even now its unreal.

I order from Drinkstore every so often. Do they have the Founders stuff at the moment as well? I might get a few things delivered together.

Yeah they had them there today.

Yeah they had them there today.

Sweet! :)

In the mean time, I managed to find the only bottle of Buried At Sea in Limerick tonight. Grand stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A trip west saw me try out West Mayo's brews over the weekend. A quick visit to FB led to an invite to the brewery, an offer I was only too glad to accept

Currently their best selling beer, Clew Bay Sunset is a slightly sweet yet extremely drinkable ale with a solid smoothness that comes from good use of hops. Clifford's Connaught Champion is a pale ale which benefits from it's softer hopping. Lastly Paddy's Pilgrim Porter is a solid good looking brown porter with a broad dry malted taste and gentle fruitiness going for it; this coming from the addition of Bog Myrtle, which grows on site :) We sampled it direct from the fermentation tank so it was about as fresh as any beer could be!

As it stands, they have a solid supply to several of Westport's busier local bars and two hotels in the region and it's keeping the brewery fairly busy keeping check with demand; indeed today there was batches of the porter and pale ale awaiting kegging and two batches of the Red which were just boiled yesterday.

Definitely worth trying out their beers if you are in Westport anytime soon and credit to them for their warm welcome today :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Nice, im in Westport next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Popped over to Glasgow at the weekend and went to the Brewdog pub. (I've bought into the hype)

They had their CollabFest on with a local brewery working with each of the BrewDog Bars to create a beer for the day. They had most of them on tap at the Glasgow Bar. Thought it was a cool idea. Lots to sample.

10408809795_aaae2306c8_n.jpg
    Brewdog Collabfest Menu by phealy1982, on Flickr

Also tried the Hello My Name is Sonja, the collaboration with Evil Twin Brewing which I quite liked.

10408821026_94d535d176_n.jpg
    Brewdog's Hello My Name Is Sonja at Brewdog Glasgow by phealy1982, on Flickr

Went to a JD Weatherspoons too for their US - UK Real Ale Fest, the prices are so cheap... Maybe I do welcome our new ale overlords.

10408801035_bd85c638fe_n.jpg
    US meets UK Real Ale Festival by phealy1982, on Flickr

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement