Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Beer list of Oktoberfest in the Fran Well tonight:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1385512_511085598987137_580202693_n.jpg

The amount of high AVB beers there slightly scares me. I don't think I'll be getting around to trying all the beers at this fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,171 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had two bottles last night, and they definitely didn't taste as good as I'd remembered. Last time I had some before that was 3-4 weeks ago.

Not just me so.
    Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What's the double IPA of Proper Job like? I forget the name, super job or something. Spotted it in O'Briens but it's gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    What's the double IPA of Proper Job like? I forget the name, super job or something. Spotted it in O'Briens but it's gone now.

Big Job. Ironically it's like a Little Job, in that it tastes lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

RasTa wrote: »

Big Job. Nice but a bit all over the place. The high alcohol content is nice but it's not really worth the extra outlay compared to Proper Job.

Regarding the BPB bottle, yes it's the Trinity one.

Currently sipping Amber Ella. First time having it since I sampled some at the Beer Festival.
    Nice but a bit meh. It it's more an amber ale thing than the actual beer. I'm really in a severe IPA phase at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Mountain man Hairy Goat - had it with an Indian meal and went well.
    Tasted it before the food and preferred it over the Green Bullet.
    Its a tough market out there at the moment with lots of good Irish IPA's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Tonight I have been drinking for the first time

Blue Moon 5.something
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout 10%

Porterhouse Celebration Stout 7%

enough to get me tipsy,

blue moon was a bit meh, just another wheat beer for me, not bad but nothing special

Brooklyn stout was quite strong in taste for obvious reasons but nicely balanced, a cross between a regular stout and a port for me

Porterhouse, nice head on this and a fine stout too, smoother than wrasslers and a higher strength, the winner of the night for me

Just back from the Franciscan Well, There was a LOT of strong Belgian beer available but I was on Shandon stout for the night. I'll be back in there over the weekend to sample a dew more beers.

Fran Well purgatory on cask in the Abbot's.
    A beautiful example of how a cask beer should be imo.

Jaysis lads, Double Posts and typos! Sounds like the Fran Well was the place to be last night! :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Founders range.

Is this the best value range take to be had? Has to be close anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

at 4 for 10 the Founders range are pretty excellent value to be fair. I hope they can get more of the other seasonals into the country maybe like their breakfast stout.

Cracked open the 2012 limited edition Schneider Weisse Tap X Mein Nelson Sauvin. It aged well even though it's still in date for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Westvleteren 12, 8 and 4. Went to the abbey today and picked up a few packs. The blonde, 4, I found totally unremarkable. 8 and 12 are really quite good. I'm going to have one or two now and then leave the rest for a couple of years as most books recommend.

12 really masks the alcohol well. Quite sweet. I don't know how to describe it for those who haven't tried it. As mythic beers go I think I prefer Pliny the Elder, although that's a totally different bag of spiders. It is good, for sure, but much of the appeal surely comes from the rarity and when it has been aged, which serves only to escalate the rarity factor.

Nice to make the beer pilgrimage, though I imagine God prefers Bud Light.

Tucking into an O'Haras DIPA tonight. Very enjoyable.
    Not overly hoppy and nicely balanced.
    These guys really do make some very nice beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

treated myself tonight with lion stout, one of the few beers endorsed by micheal jackson (the other one) its almost half way between lean follain and brooklyn black choc. Really nice and hides the 8.8% very well

Also had a schneidder weisse Tap X Nelson Sauvin, really interesting, hints of loads of things, citrus fruits and banana, its like the best of all the other taps mixed together and given a lash of hops and loaded up on steroids. Will defo get another and keep for over xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Widmer Hefeweizen, I think they're based in Portland Oregon. Very nice but I thought it lacked "bite", although I'm not too familiar with the style.
    You could easily drink gallons of it. I was only out for a while so I had to get a Racer 5 IPA to finish with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

My first beer tonight was a Founders Porter - it's nice but I'm not getting what is earning it the plaudits it's getting around here.

I preferred the All Day IPA.

Next up was my last Paulaner Oktoberferst Bier, which is grand.

Now I'm on the Dirty Bastard, first mouthful all I'm getting is alcohol.

Second and third are ok, I can see the similarities with Williams 80 Shilling Scottish Ale, there is a distinct "pine" flavour in the finish, and it smells very sweet.

I think their All Day IPA is a cracking beer.

Now moved on to a Smithwicks Winter Spirit. Decided to try it for the craic. It's definitely nicer than the Pale Ale but it's nothing special.
    Reminds me a bit of Hobgoblin but not as carbonated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I think ill be getting more all day ipa alright, very very nice and 4 for 10 is pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Went to the abbey today

Nice! I plan on doing the same some day. I do think W12 is hyped a lot, but I can't argue with the hype, it's the nicest beer I've ever tasted (and Pliney is in there at second). I've been given two six pack boxes for Christmas and Birthday the past year, so I've had time to let any hype wear off, I've even had one that tasted off from a box a friend got. I just love the stuff and the feeling in the cheeks at the end of the glass. Mental complexity.

The Westy blond is one of my favourite beers.

From the festival in Fran Well the standout beer from the few I tried was Duchess de Bourgogne - lovely sweet and sour balance.
    Rodenbach Grand Cru won't go on till D de B is gone so will have to return today.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot was good - completely different to the bottled version - it's hoppy!

3 Monts was good but a bit unremarkable - nice a dry, though.

Wild raven would have been lovely if only the lines in the upstairs bar weren't stinking!! Hopefully fixed by today.

I'm looking forward to trying the Rodenbach today - never had it on draught before.

Oh, I had a taste of the Franwell Hopfenweiss - very nice indeed.

I had a Narwhal last night. I think it tried to fight me. We made friends, by the end. Nice little bit of hoppyness coming through such a strong stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭MrGee

The Galway bay crowd have made an imperial brown ale which is part of a pilot series of beer launches. The beer is served completely flat. Was an interesting beer and aparently a few more "stronger" limited release beers are on the way.
    Had it in the brew dock yesterday.

Anyone know what the selection is like in the Dame Tavern?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone know what the selection is like in the Dame Tavern?

Think it's poor. Standard fare with the fanciest thing being Smithwicks Pale Ale and maybe Peroni

• Advertisement

Thet might have large bottles of Guinness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

9591-120x400.jpg

Franciscan Well Rebel Red. Had it on Draught in Sin é. Amber red ale with moderate head and decent carbonation. Full tasting ale, slightly bitter with a hint of something sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

just having a sierra neveda ipa beer camp, it's alright nothing special. have some odells ipa for after, nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Had an IPA by Drake brewery from San Leandro in North California. Got a metallicy type taste at the start but ended up being a good solid IPA.

At the Well beerfest again last night. Started on Rodenbach Grand Cru. Anything else just tasted heavy and sweet after it so pretty much stayed on it for the night. Yummmmmmmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Had a Brooklyn choc stout with my venison dinner last night and followed it with the founders centennial IPA which was pretty damn nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Was in the Brewery Corner in Kilkenny and tried Brugse Zot dubbel with my OH.

Very smooth.

At the Well beerfest again last night. Started on Rodenbach Grand Cru. Anything else just tasted heavy and sweet after it so pretty much stayed on it for the night. Yummmmmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Had my first Odell IPA last night, absolutely fantastic, and only 3 months old. Broke my 8 Degrees glass shortly afterwards though. Gutted...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had my first Odell IPA last night, absolutely fantastic, and only 3 months old. Broke my 8 Degrees glass shortly afterwards though. Gutted...

One of my favourite beers, I think it's pretty much flawless.

After all the Rodenbach Grand Cru, I cracked open a bottle of Rodenbach Caractere Rouge.
    WOW! A stunning example of a fruity, sour beer.
    One bottle left:(

After all the Rodenbach Grand Cru, I cracked open a bottle of Rodenbach Caractere Rouge.
    WOW! A stunning example of a fruity, sour beer.
    One bottle left:(

Rodenbach is available in Ireland, just get your local offie to stock it.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Rodenbach is available in Ireland, just get your local offie to stock it.

I think this is a fairly limited edition - not sure how available it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

SN Narwhal is one of the blackest beers I have ever poured. Light didn't come through when held up.

Smells smoky and sweet.
    Feels foamy in the mouth there is a sweetness there too can't put my finger it though. Maybe like dried figs.

There is an alcohol kick too as it's 10.2%.

Good sipping beer while cooking the dinner.

Not just me so.
    Anyone else?

So, I'm drinking a bottle in Murphy's Law in Athlone right now. Had s pint in the brewdock last week and this tastes identical and both taste great. Carbonation is spot on and there is just enough of a malt backbone to support the hops.

Its definitely the most aggressively hopped Irish Pale/IPA I've had but its not unbalanced at all.

€4 a bottle in this bar helps too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

So, I'm drinking a bottle in Murphy's Law in Athlone right now.

Its definitely the most aggressively hopped Irish Pale/IPA I've had but its not unbalanced at all.

Murphy's Law, Who's brewing it?

slayerking wrote: »
    Murphy's Law, Who's brewing it?

The post I replied to was about Galway Bay Full Sail IPA

So. On top of €4 for a bottle, Murphy's Law are doing 3 bottles for €11.

Couldn't bate that with a big stick.

I revisited Galway's bay Full Sail.
    Previously I really liked it but found it a little flat.
    It seems they've eliminated the carbonation problem and most of the interesting flavours and character at the same time.
    I thought this one was a pretty ordinary ale with quite a high bitterness but not much else. The first one I had had lovely complexity and that New World grapefruit hoppyness I like. Where'd it go?
    Anyone else?

Revisiting this post of yours, I really feel there's a good bit of inconsistency in the batches.
    I've had a few bottles of it and it never seems to taste the same.
    I certainly haven't got much grapefruity taste from it recently, just bitterness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Galway Bay arent the only ones guilty of this. Some brewers seem to be experimenting with commercial batches. It really creates a poor impression IMO.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I certainly haven't got much grapefruity taste from it recently, just bitterness.

Exactly!

And I really liked it when I first had it.

Full Sail and Rogue Hazelnut beer are the most inconsistent beers I've ever had. Not by a huge margin, just noticable.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Full Sail and Rogue Hazelnut beer are the most inconsistent beers I've ever had. Not by a huge margin, just noticable.

Ah Jesus you are comparing two beers that are made in quantities that are almost immerisible.

Ah Jesus you are comparing two beers that are made in quantities that are almost immerisible.

"Ah Jesus", I'm not comparing them at all.

• Advertisement

Was in WJ Kavanaghs yesterday for a bite to eat and had a pint each of Adnam's Ghost Ship and Brú Dubh. Both were really nice, the Adnams being in the same vein as St. Austell's Tribute or Proper Job, the Brú Dubh was a really rich creamy sweet stout with a slight bitterness. I had a taster of their Red Ale but thought it was just ok so didn't bother with a full pint.

Popped into their Off Licence when I was leaving to see if they had anything different. They had a 5 for €10 special on a brewery I'd never seen before. Stevens Point Brewery. The one that I tried last night, the IPA, wasn't great, so I'm not particularly looking forward to the rest.

Also had 3 from Green Flash Brewing Co. over the last week, Double Stout, Hop Head Red, West Coast IPA. The IPA was definitely the nicest of the 3. I had a bottle of it a few weeks ago and thought it was very similar to O'Hara's IPA, I still stand by that, but maybe the hops a bit more 'American", almost similar to Goose Island's IPA mixed with O'Hara's.
    Wasn't mad gone on the Stout, bit too sickly sweet. They should be done under the trade descriptions act for the Hop Head though, not very hoppy at all, very malt driven, but I was expecting hops so I was a bit disappointed with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement