Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Had a bottle of Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale in Chameleon restaurant in Dublin and was really impressed. Just for the sake of comparison... I tried a SN Pale Ale afterwards and the Tumbler won hands down. I also tried Metalman Pale Ale on tap in Cassidy's Bar on Westmoreland (a dump with great music and college kids) but was really disappointed with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Picked up a few bottles of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye and Torpedo over the weekend, I tried the Ruthless Rye last night while watching a movie...wow, beautiful beer.

Can't wait to try Torpedo now, will wait until Thursday night.
    I feel I'll be back to O'Brien's very soon for a top-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If you liked Ruthless you should try Kinnegar's Rustbucket, their Rye ale, it's lovely. A tad less hoppy, which enables the Rye to come a bit more into the flavour profile.

Was down in The Hole in The Wall on Sunday, had a pint of the Kinnegar Devil's Backbone which is a grand Amber Ale. Also had a O'Hara's Natural Blonde. Bleugh. Insipid shíte. Finished up with a couple of SNs.

Haven't been down in the "Hole" in a while, they've moved their craft taps to a more prominent position on the bar, and have 5 or 6 there now, which is great to see in a suburban boozer.

Owner/Manager is still a legend too. He knows my face, and knows I drink craft beer, he spotted me at the bar ordering my second drink, and lashed a half pint of the Kinnegar into my hand, "try that, it's new from Donegal".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dark Arts porter and steak after watching the United match. Lovely. Who ever said Tuesday nights were boring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Dark Arts porter and steak after watching the United match. Lovely. Who ever said Tuesday nights were boring?

I'd love to make a joke here, but you's won 4-0.

I had gone off Dark Arts for a while feeling it was a bit watery, until I had a bottle in the pub last week, and started to love it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Alexander Green, an Israeli IPA...6% ABV, typical IPA, hoppy, citrussy...7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Alexander Green, an Israeli IPA...6% ABV, typical IPA, hoppy, citrussy...7/10

Where'd you pick that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Off to Berlin for a few days , will be drinking lots of this
    berliner-kindl-weisse.jpg

Anyone got any other recommendations?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I liked Lemke on Hackescher Markt, though the sunny weather may have had lots to do with that. Lindenbräu in the Sony Centre does pretty good beer too. Both offer fairly traditional German brewpub fare. I've heard great things about BrewBaker and Heidenpeters who do more progressive beer styles but I've not tried any of either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The US has a chain of stores called Costco (something like Aldi or Lidl I suppose but with more bulk buying), some of them are supposed to have great beer selections but not the one I went to.
    I did manage to get a New Belgium 24 pack for $24. It has their Fat Tyre Amber Ale, Ranger IPA and a seasonal winter brew. I had the first two so far; the amber ale is nice enough but a bit underwhelming to be honest and the Ranger IPA is a good solid IPA.

• Advertisement

Went to The Headline, had a Five Lamps Liberties Ale and a Kinnegar Devils Backbone, enjoyed both. The Kinnegar was much better than when I had it bottled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

drumswan wrote: »
    Went to The Headline, had a Five Lamps Liberties Ale and a Kinnegar Devils Backbone, enjoyed both. The Kinnegar was much better than when I had it bottled.

Jeebus I am very close to the Headline, didn't realise it had good brews. I take it it's the one on South Circular Rd at Clanbrassil St?
    Do they have the rye ale and the pale ale too? Wouldn't mind trying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Beer Camp #93 - Sierra Nevada Really liking this beer. Smells of fruit and herbs.
    Tastes really good too. Slightly lingers too like after Spicey food. Nice grapefruit burst when you take the first sip.

Jeebus I am very close to the Headline, didn't realise it had good brews. I take it it's the one on South Circular Rd at Clanbrassil St?
    Do they have the rye ale and the pale ale too? Wouldn't mind trying them.

Its only reopened as a craft beer boozer since Saturday. Cant recommend it highly enough. The Kinnegar was on one of their 6 rotating guest taps, im informed by the staff that the others are to follow at some point. Keep an eye on social media for updates.

I'm having a Centennial. It's just so good.

Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale in a can.

Great IPA perfect sweetness and bitterness. Wish I had got more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

While in Belgium I had a Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio. €9 at the bar I visited but worth it as I didn't have time to head to a bottle shop after my trip to Westvleteren. What a beer. The smell was like a tangy, super hopped Pilsner Urquell and the flavour as tart as could be, while remaining very palatable. I managed to get to a decent supermarket and picked up a Mort Subite Geuze for the journey home - it was like fizzy fruit water in comparison. Some of the fruit came through but very little of the crispness, which is really what I look for in these types of beer. A very flat effort, I found.

The Cantillon was up there with the Russian River Supplication I had over the summer in terms of deliciousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I had that recently Ravelleman, really enjoyed it. Get your hands on the Gueuze mariage parfait if you can, you will love it. The off-license in baggots street has a nice selection of lambics.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Its only reopened as a craft beer boozer since Saturday. Cant recommend it highly enough. The Kinnegar was on one of their 6 rotating guest taps, im informed by the staff that the others are to follow at some point. Keep an eye on social media for updates.
    Looking great https://twitter.com/57theheadline
    I wonder what the recent Heineken comment is all about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Where'd you pick that up?
    A friend brought it back from Tel Aviv

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Anderson Valley Poleeko Pale Ale last night. Not a lot going on initially but it improved as it warmed up slightly. Tame enough for an American Pale Ale (could've done with a few more hops) but you'd easily sink a few of them.

Had a bottle of this last night. Not bad I thought.

Agree I maybe had it a little cold initially too but as it warmed up I enjoyed it more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

snowblind wrote: »
    Looking great https://twitter.com/57theheadline
    I wonder what the recent Heineken comment is all about...

Sounds like a heiniken rep was talking sh*te about the bars new direction.

On the positive side, I look forward to a trip to the headline some time soon.
    Most be the biggest selection of Irish craft on tap?

Amber Ella. Feels like Howling Gale, with some tweaks. I'm also having a Narwhal before work. Fun times ahead.

Anyone seen the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp range about?

Anyone seen the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp range about?

I got mine in Drinkstore on Monday.

Thanks, picked up all three, plus the new SN seasonal. Plus an Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout. Plus an Amber Ella, havent had the bottled version.

Gonna be quite the evening on drumswans sofa! :)

Kinnegar Devil's Backbone Amber ale - malty and slightly sweet. Very low carbonation.

Kinnegar Rustbucket Rye Ale - Lovely tropical flavours and bitter. Again low carbonation and nice bitterafterrtaste.

The rye would be the best of these.

Would like to try this on draught.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I made a new friend tonight. He's a Dirty Bastard, and a strong fellow, but I like him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yesterday I discovered Flensburger Weizen, it's just delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Having a St Bernardus Abt 12 tonight for the first time.
    Beers like this aren't quite to my taste but it's very interesting. There's an awful lot going on in it!

Also, for anyone in the west Dublin area, Kennys in Lucan are doing a beer, wine and whiskey tasting event in their function room from 1-5 on Sunday.
    €20 fee and all proceeds go to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Stheno wrote: »
    Yesterday I discovered Flensburger Weizen, it's just delicious

If you haven't had it before try weihenstephaner. Possibly the nicest readily available Wheat beer going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just had a Post Road Pumpkin Ale by Brooklyn. Not sure about this one, there was a strange underlying taste that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but then I copped it, it tasted of baked beans! Bit off putting tbh.

Speaking of off putting.

The moment that I realised that Metalman Smoke screen tasted like kippers was, er, interesting.

Galway Bay Full Sail - decided to give it another go.
    This bottle has been the best yet. Seemed hoppier and a tiny bit more carbonation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

O'Hara's Double IPA. Better than the time I had it on draught but still not great. Too sweet and I totally get the "double but not quite" comment now. :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    O'Hara's Double IPA. Better than the time I had it on draught but still not great. Too sweet and I totally get the "double but not quite" comment now. :)

It is but it isn't!

Need to wander around the corner to McHugh's tomorrow and see if they have the O'Hara's DIPA in yet.

How much was the bottle lads?

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Galway Bay Full Sail - decided to give it another go.
    This bottle has been the best yet. Seemed hoppier and a tiny bit more carbonation.

I'd like 6 of the things on Monday night in Athlone and thought they were spot on.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Need to wander around the corner to McHugh's tomorrow and see if they have the O'Hara's DIPA in yet.

How much was the bottle lads?

€3.80

• Advertisement

The font on the O'Hara's DIPA is very spooky looking. I wonder is it anything to do with Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 running dogs

I haven't read through the thread so mabey its been said, has anyone tried hobgoblin mmmmm nicest beer ever

Tried the new SN offerings. Thought all the beer camp ones were good, but the belgian style black IPA was probably my favourite because there are so many things going on with this beer and it's still balanced enough. Probably not for everyone though

Thought the Beer Camp IPA was sensational, amazing to get these so fresh. Yet to try the two others.

Had a glass of the Galway Bay Imperial Brown this afternoon, it doesnt work sadly, so much roast malt its overwhelmed by burnt notes.

Yeah actually the IPA was very nice. I've just had quite a lot nice IPA's lately and getting the porter like roasty maltness with belgian yeast and lingering hoppiness of the BIPA was a refreshing change

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Sipping away on a Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier, with a Schneider Weisse Hefe-weizenbier waiting in the wings.

snowblind wrote: »
    Yeah actually the IPA was very nice. I've just had quite a lot nice IPA's lately and getting the porter like roasty maltness with belgian yeast and lingering hoppiness of the BIPA was a refreshing change

Just had this, agreed the belgian yeast with the black IPA combo is a bit special. Just waiting for someone to come on and call SN overrated now, haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Had a smith wicks winter spirit and weihan kris tall watching arsenal dominate Liverpool.

Winter tasted like my homebrew winter ale, kristall not as good as the erdinger version

Just opened my bottle of Centennial IPA. Very pleasant. I'm still not 100% sold on IPAs, but I'm enjoying this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

A nice bottle of Rodenbach tonight. It'd been a while since I had one but I'm really enjoying it.
    Good to see stuff like this popping up in Superquinn

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement