Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

What Rodenbach was it slayerking ? Was it the big bottles, or the oak aged version ? Did they have any other lambics there ?

Going to have to pay a visit to superquinn again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

jsa112 wrote: »
    What Rodenbach was it slayerking ? Was it the big bottles, or the oak aged version ? Did they have any other lambics there ?

Going to have to pay a visit to superquinn again

It's the original/classic one, small 330 ml bottle. Hmm, not sure if they had any other lambics but they've had quite a changeable line up lately, which is great. Lots of great beers in there. The Rodenbach stood out like a sore thumb, defo getting more.
    Forgot how nice it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

stuchyg wrote: »
    Had a smith wicks winter spirit and weihan kris tall watching arsenal dominate Liverpool.

Winter tasted like my homebrew winter ale, kristall not as good as the erdinger version

Damn you spoiling that game on me!

Beer ive had this week: Adnams ghostship was very good. Troubles pumpkin not so good. Shandon stout still not what it used to be. BPBP dr rudi not good (infected?). Chimay tripel excellent. oyster stout nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Diebels Altbier

An ale in Germany?????!!! Tis only lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

drumswan wrote: »
    Just had this, agreed the belgian yeast with the black IPA combo is a bit special. Just waiting for someone to come on and call SN overrated now, haha.

I'm starting to find your posts overhyped and overrated or wait....... are they just predictable, repetitive and ride roughshod over other's opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

adamski8 wrote: »
    Troubles pumpkin not so good.

I had this a couple of weeks ago and found it quite poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I'm starting to find your posts overhyped and overrated or wait....... are they just predictable and repetitive and ride roughshod over other's opinions?

Nice edit, who pissed on your ****ing cornflakes?

The Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout is another cracker, had some great beers this weekend.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I had this a couple of weeks ago and found it quite poor.

You guys comparing this to other pumpkin brews or do you just not like the style? Found it nice enough myself but a bit much toward the end. Then someone bought me a second pint, really struggled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a bottle of Sierra Nevada Flipside last night. Quite disappointed with it tbh. Just too bitter in a mouth twanging kinda way, could've been the alcohol contributing to that twanginess too.

I generally love all the stuff SN do but this for me was one of their weaker offerings. Still looking forward to the Beer Camp offerings though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

You guys comparing this to other pumpkin brews or do you just not like the style? Found it nice enough myself but a bit much toward the end. Then someone bought me a second pint, really struggled.

I had one other pumpkin beer which was a red hook pumpkin porter which was ok. 6/7% and ok. Quite spicy would say its ok but wouldnt buy another. Compared to that troubles was like a watery version. Not wrong per say but not much to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I had two pints of Beamish last night, 3.20 each. Grand beer, sort of unremarkable.

In the next pub, I asked for Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I think it's an IPA. Out of stock.

So I just picked the next tap, a beer called Raven. Never heard of it.

Pricey at 5.50 per pint, but it was nice, went down very easy.

The barman said it was from Thornbridge brewery, and is 6.2%.

http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/beers.php?id=2

Turns out that it gets high scores on beer review websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I found Trouble's pumpkin ale to be lacking in taste in general. I went for it on cask and found it to be vaguely sweet and generally lacking in other flavours. The only other pumpkin beer I'd had was a Blue Moon special, which I found much more enjoyable, despite not being a fan of Blue Moon at all.

Today I tried Metalman Smokescreen. I found it to be very light indeed with only a subtle smokiness and not much else to be honest. I thought the carbonation was a little too high for a beer of this type. Despite many of its outward characteristics it's very 'sessionable'. Certainly not a classic.

My OH got some Mountain Man Hairy Goat as well. She wasn't too impressed but I thought it was ok. It had a slightly musky character to the hop and a very bitter finish. It would find itself firmly in my generic or 'meh' IPA mental category.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I haven't read through the thread so mabey its been said, has anyone tried hobgoblin mmmmm nicest beer ever

My local supermarket has this on offer at the moment, must check it out
    Soldie wrote: »
    Sipping away on a Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier, with a Schneider Weisse Hefe-weizenbier waiting in the wings.

Where does one get this Weihenstephaner?

JCs in Swords is doing Irish Craft Beers @ €2.69 a bottle, dunno if that's good value or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Stheno wrote: »
    My local supermarket has this on offer at the moment, must check it out

Where does one get this Weihenstephaner?

JCs in Swords is doing Irish Craft Beers @ €2.69 a bottle, dunno if that's good value or not?

I get it in tesoo a good bit. Likewise schneiderweisse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Scortho wrote: »
    I get it in telco a good bit. Likewise schneiderweise

Do you mean Tesco? I'm having visions of my mates in Telecoms having fridges stocked full of fancy beer :D

• Advertisement

Do you mean Tesco? I'm having visions of my mates in Telecoms having fridges stocked full of fancy beer :D

Jesus I edited and still spelt it wrong. yep telco had it the last time I checked

Had a bottle of Sierra Nevada Flipside last night. Quite disappointed with it tbh
    Careful there Bazmo, you're going to have drumswan whine about how bad your palate is, and really none of us want to read that boring post !

Careful there Bazmo, you're going to have drumswan whine about how bad your palate is, and really none of us want to read that boring post !

Where did I whine about anyones palette? Seems like you are the one sniping and moaning. Use the ignore function if you dont like another posters content, good lad.

Agree with Bazmo, Flipside is the weakest seasonal from SN in a while, defo the weakest of the four new ones I tried this weekend.

Use the ignore function if you dont like another posters content, good lad.
    Sweet, forgot there was a way to block posts from idiots, thanks !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sweet, forgot there was a way to block posts from idiots, thanks !

Pot, kettle, etc.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a bottle of Sierra Nevada Flipside last night. Quite disappointed with it tbh. Just too bitter in a mouth twanging kinda way, could've been the alcohol contributing to that twanginess too.

I generally love all the stuff SN do but this for me was one of their weaker offerings. Still looking forward to the Beer Camp offerings though. :)
    Where did I whine about anyones palette? Seems like you are the one sniping and moaning. Use the ignore function if you dont like another posters content, good lad.

Agree with Bazmo, Flipside is the weakest seasonal from SN in a while, defo the weakest of the four new ones I tried this weekend.

Actually, turns out I made a mistake, it was actually Beer Camp #95 that I had last night and not Flipside. :o

Flipside was actually alright, bit on the thin side for the abv but it did improve as it warmed. That said, maybe the lightness could be considered a good thing, in a easy to quaff type of way.

Which one was the 95? I found the Flipside and the Imperial Red quite similar. Not really a red ale man myself.

Rounded off the weekend with a La Trappe Quad, a cracking beer and always keenly priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Finished of a can of Dos Equis that was in the fridge. There's probably dozens of beers I'd pick ahead of it but it's not bad stuff.

Which one was the 95? I found the Flipside and the Imperial Red quite similar. Not really a red ale man myself.

Yeah it was the "aggressive Imperial Red Ale". I like Red Ales, in particular the American slant on the style, was just expecting more from these two I suppose. Both were missing the resiny/piney hop kick you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Actually, turns out I made a mistake, it was actually Beer Camp #95 that I had last night and not Flipside. :o

Flipside was actually alright, bit on the thin side for the abv but it did improve as it warmed. That said, maybe the lightness could be considered a good thing, in a easy to quaff type of way.

I really enjoyed the #95 thought it was up there with one of their better beers they have done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod warning: Any future nasty comments or personal insults WILL earn the posters an infraction. This is a thread about opinions, and if you can't cope with others having them then please don't post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

i know one shouldn't drink before noon,but at the moment im curing a serious hangover after a day well spent sampling a great variety of craft beers in smyths in limerick city.the place deserves a mention due to the variety on tap.anyways what im drinking at the moment is a Czech lager called 1795 original,very hoppy but its going down nice,and doing the job intended.I've seen it around the shelves a good few Times but was never really tempted,the labeling on the bottle really dosnt do it any justice to be honest.overall a good solid lager, 8/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Looking for a Pal Ale made here. I like IPAs and there's plenty of them on offer, but wondering if there's Pales to be had.
    More like St Austell's Tribute or Scarecrow from Wytchwood, or Blue Buck and Cutthroat Pale (both BC Canada). So not as hoppy and bitter as an IPA. I find I like 2-3 IPAs, but the Pale is more easy to drink if you are having 6-7.
    Don't even know if Pale Ale is the right name for it, seems to be mostly English breweries doing it. Don't like red ales a la O'Hara's Red ale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looking for a Pal Ale made here.

Howling Gale Ale by 8 Degrees is pretty damn good.

• Advertisement

Howling Gale Ale by 8 Degrees is pretty damn good.

Judging by his description I'd say Howling Gale might be a bit too bitter. I'd say Galway Hooker would fit the bill the best.

Looking for a Pal Ale made here. I like IPAs and there's plenty of them on offer, but wondering if there's Pales to be had.
    More like St Austell's Tribute or Scarecrow from Wytchwood, or Blue Buck and Cutthroat Pale (both BC Canada). So not as hoppy and bitter as an IPA. I find I like 2-3 IPAs, but the Pale is more easy to drink if you are having 6-7.
    Don't even know if Pale Ale is the right name for it, seems to be mostly English breweries doing it. Don't like red ales a la O'Hara's Red ale.

O'Haras Irish Pale Ale is my favourite.

Metalman pale ale is one of my favourites. As is O haras pale ale (There O sheas in aldi is nicer though) and galway Hooker.
    Those three would be my go to pale ales if I'm looking for something irish.

Jaysis lads did you even read the request? ;)

Jaysis lads did you even read the request? ;)

Yep. He said no to O haras red?
    What am i missing?
    I wouldn't consider them to be overly hoppy, or mildly hoppy for that matter.

Yeah I find Galway Hooker, Metalman and O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale are more IPAs (lots of hops and fairly bitter)
    Maybe I am categorising them wrong

Styles are a minefield, when you say 'IPA' to me I think of American IPAs up at 50 or 60 IBU. I would categorise all three of those beers (Hooker, Metalman and O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale) as American Pale Ales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Fran Well purgatory on cask in the Abbot's.
    A beautiful example of how a cask beer should be imo.

Delicious stuff. :)

Yeah I find Galway Hooker, Metalman and O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale are more IPAs (lots of hops and fairly bitter)
    Maybe I am categorising them wrong

Id find them the other way, not hoppy enough.:pac:

Id suggest try porters instead. I couldn't drink pale ales and ipa's for a good 6 months when I made the switch from lager.
    First time I had a punk iPA i could only take one mouthful of it, it was too hoppy. Then I gradually started mixing it up a bit, a couple of porters followed by a pale ale etc. Now I crave hops:D

• Advertisement

Yep. He said no to O haras red?
    What am i missing?
    I wouldn't consider them to be overly hoppy, or mildly hoppy for that matter.
    He said not too much hops and not bitter.
    O'Hara's IPA would be quite hoppy and very bitter, same as Howling Gale. Metalman would be more hoppy than bitter. Galway Hooker would be slightly hoppy and not bitter, very similar to the the styles he said he likes.......but he has now said he doesn't like it!!

It's probably best to stay away from saying what styles you like and stick with beers you like, easier to compare that way as styles tend to jump all over the place.

He said not too much hops and not bitter.
    O'Hara's IPA would be quite hoppy and very bitter, same as Howling Gale. Metalman would be more hoppy than bitter. Galway Hooker would be slightly hoppy and not bitter, very similar to the the styles he said he likes.......but he has now said he doesn't like it!!

It's probably best to stay away from saying what styles you like and stick with beers you like, easier to compare that way as styles tend to jump all over the place.

Don't get me wrong I like all of the above, but just in smaller doses.
    I suppose it's more of a malty ale I'm after. But not caramel-y like O'Hara's red.

American Pale Ales are relatively hoppy by definition. Perhaps you should look at some English styles - Ordinary/Session Bitters (Often called IPAs, confusingly), Best/Special Bitters or ESB.

The Fullers range might suit

Fullers London Pride
    Fullers ESB
    Fullers 1845
    Fullers IPA
    Fullers Bengal Lancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

@cruhoortwunk try Dungarvans Comeragh Challenger. Its more of a bitter but could fall into the Pale ale style too I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Picked up a few bottles today, Hoppelhammer, Sunburnt Irish Red, O'haras DIPA & Porterhouse Hop Head

So I'm working oop North this week, and dropped into Sainsburys on the way home.

Got a couple of Hoegarden (sp?) and Birra Moretti, any thoughts on either?

Am somewhat new to trying different beers so am just experimenting as I see something I like, or is a bargain.

Also is there any alternative to Kilkenny out there?

• Advertisement

Knew the lads at Sierra Nevada wouldn't let me down. :) Beer Camp #93 is beautiful. Lovely roasted malt backbone combined with gorgeous hops.

So I'm working oop North this week, and dropped into Sainsburys on the way home.

Got a couple of Hoegarden (sp?) and Birra Moretti, any thoughts on either?

Am somewhat new to trying different beers so am just experimenting as I see something I like, or is a bargain.

Also is there any alternative to Kilkenny out there?

They're both a bit meh IMO.

What do you normally drink? I'd start with some porters if your not used to hoppy beers (o haras Leann folain, dark arts porter spring to mind).

If it's cheap your after you won't go to far wrong with going into aldi and picking up the I Shea's range. They're brewed by Carlow who brew o haras except cheaper.
    If you enjoyed your wheat beer I'd go into lidl and pick up some franziskaner. Other than weihenstephaner, it's hard to find a wheat beer that can beet franziskaner.

They're both a bit meh IMO.

What do you normally drink? I'd start with some porters if your not used to hoppy beers (o haras Leann folain, dark arts porter spring to mind).

If it's cheap your after you won't go to far wrong with going into aldi and picking up the I Shea's range. They're brewed by Carlow who brew o haras except cheaper.
    If you enjoyed your wheat beer I'd go into lidl and pick up some franziskaner. Other than weihenstephaner, it's hard to find a wheat beer that can beet franziskaner.

Were you talking to me? If so I like Peroni, Erdzinger etc, but looking to experiment with flavours :) Don't like that Franziskaner at all, still looking for weihenstephaner

Were you talking to me? If so I like Peroni, Erdzinger etc, but looking to experiment with flavours :) Don't like that Franziskaner at all, still looking for weihenstephaner

Yep. I wouldn't knock franziskaner just yet. I used to love erdinger, but now wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Still like my franziskaner and weihenstephaner.
    I'll have a look in tesco the next time I'm in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I like red ales, but I'm wasn't too pushed either way on them, until tonight. Franciscan Well Red Rebel really impressed me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement