Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Grayditch wrote: »
    Franciscan Well Red Rebel really impressed me.

Did you get it on draught or bottle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Passenger wrote: »
    Did you get it on draught or bottle?

Just in the bottle, but if I find anywhere in Dublin that may have it on draught, I'd like to try it. A few more time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Just in the bottle, but if I find anywhere in Dublin that may have it on draught, I'd like to try it. A few more time ;)

Think its on permanently in the B&C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The Gingerman has it but call it Writers red

drumswan wrote: »

Nice one. I was only there on Saturday night, for one. But I didn't get a proper look at what they had, cause I wasn't staying.
    matrim wrote: »
    The Gingerman has it but call it Writers red

Same beer, yeah?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It used to be but I think they have it on rotation now with O'Hara's Red being the permanent red ale. O'Hara's or 8 Degrees would be better imo anyway.

I like O'Hara's red, I think I just preferred this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Same beer, yeah?

Exact same

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

if I find anywhere in Dublin that may have it on draught, I'd like to try it. A few more time ;)
    Pretty sure O'Neill's on Suffolk Street have it permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Just back from a couple of weeks in the US and was amazed at the uptake of draft beer over there, big difference from when I was there a couple of years ago. I spent most of my time drinking dogfish head 60 minute IPA with (on draft!) a little bit of the 90 minute IPA (bottle), and as a special treat a couple of bottles of the 120 mintue IPA (18%).

all very yummy

• Advertisement

RE: Franciscan Well Red

Grand stuff. I'll try in on draught over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Sin é have it on draught. Had a few pints of it at the weekend. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Galway Bay's "Of Foam and Fury" DIPA set for launch Friday the 15th.

8.5% hop monster with a serious malt backbone, update tomorrow to confirm time and location.

First run is draught only (do exclusive to their own bars) but it is also being bottled.

Looking forward to this :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just back from a couple of weeks in the US and was amazed at the uptake of draft beer over there, big difference from when I was there a couple of years ago. I spent most of my time drinking dogfish head 60 minute IPA with (on draft!) a little bit of the 90 minute IPA (bottle), and as a special treat a couple of bottles of the 120 mintue IPA (18%).

all very yummy

I hate you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sitting in the Bull & Castle having a lovely pint of Amber-Ella. It cost €6 though, a bit pricey but it is 5.8%.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sitting in the Bull & Castle having a lovely pint of Amber-Ella. It cost €6 though, a bit pricey but it is 5.8%.

Was tempted to head in to watch the football but im feeling lazy so im going to wander around the corner to the Ardlea Inn and begrudgingly drink a free pint of guinness instead.

Mikkeller (bear with me)... Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA. Grabbed it on a whim, and it's been a while since I wasted my time with a Mikkeller.

But it's lovely. It really is. Feels like it starts off as a nice IPA, finished as a lovely Belgian ale. Very good.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Was tempted to head in to watch the football but im feeling lazy so im going to wander around the corner to the Ardlea Inn and begrudgingly drink a free pint of guinness instead.

absolute kip

Get to Harry Byrne's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Mikkeller (bear with me)... Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA. Grabbed it on a whim, and it's been a while since I wasted my time with a Mikkeller.

But it's lovely. It really is. Feels like it starts off as a nice IPA, finished as a lovely Belgian ale. Very good.

Love that beer and love that hop!

• Advertisement

Love that beer and love that hop!

Widmer Brothers Nelson Imperial, too. Yep, that's a good hop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Howling Gale Ale by 8 Degrees is pretty damn good.

+1 on the howling gale.have the 8degrees brew co expanded their operations? their brews seem to be everywhere the past few months,and cheaper too seemingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Stheno wrote: »
    So I'm working oop North this week, and dropped into Sainsburys on the way home.

Got a couple of Hoegarden (sp?) and Birra Moretti, any thoughts on either?

Am somewhat new to trying different beers so am just experimenting as I see something I like, or is a bargain.

Also is there any alternative to Kilkenny out there?

hoegarden is delicious,enjoy!

Ended up getting the bus in to town.
    First stop Sweetmans, left after my first pint because some crazy middleaged woman kept staring at me and saying random ****e, so I didn't really feel all that comfortable. In B&C now for the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Widmer Brothers Nelson Imperial, too. Yep, that's a good hop.
    Had 6 of these on Sunday night...damn it's good stuff!

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Had 6 of these on Sunday night...damn it's good stuff!

It's great, yeah. Even better when you get the Superquinn deal going. Quality beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's great, yeah. Even better when you get the Superquinn deal going. Quality beer.

Speaking of Widmers, I finally had my Red Hook last night.

I had left them to chill in a fridge which left them a little bit too cold for my liking; this coupled with a bit of a bug on me had the end result that the first 3 tasted a bit ordinary and pilsner like. By the time they had warmed up a little, I had gone from wanting to enjoying them though they did redeem themselves a little. I'll come back to them again though; they have promise and a good reputation behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

So I'm working oop North this week, and dropped into Sainsburys on the way home.

Got a couple of Hoegarden (sp?) and Birra Moretti, any thoughts on either?

Am somewhat new to trying different beers so am just experimenting as I see something I like, or is a bargain.

Also is there any alternative to Kilkenny out there?

How did you find them?

I think Hoegarden is a bit sweet for my liken, I was never a fan of white beers.

Birra Moretti is a run of the mill lager. How much was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

New Belgiums seasonal beer called Accumulation. It's a white IPA, very nice but tbh I couldn't distinguish it from a regular IPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Cans of Radeberger. Not the best, not the cheapest either, I'd just describe it as "grand".

I'm really missing the variety of craft, but on the other hand all the beer is so feccking cheap here. Still looking forward to some Howling Gale and O'Hara's stout at Christmas, as well as testing the homebrewed Belgian-style ale :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I bought a pretty wide selection of beers today. There is a Beers of the World type shop close to me and this caught my eye, B Space Invader. Expensive shopping but nice to visit for a treat.

Thankfully my local (Rome) supermarkets do nice beers at reasonable prices. Was surprised to see O' Hara Stout and Red there @ €3.60 a bottle.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Widmers, I finally had my Red Hook last night.

I had left them to chill in a fridge which left them a little bit too cold for my liking; this coupled with a bit of a bug on me had the end result that the first 3 tasted a bit ordinary and pilsner like. By the time they had warmed up a little, I had gone from wanting to enjoying them though they did redeem themselves a little. I'll come back to them again though; they have promise and a good reputation behind them.

I like the Red EBS one, but not too cold, though. The blue one, audible ale, nothing to write home about. Green one, IPA is pretty decent and the pumpkin porter... did not like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I bought a pretty wide selection of beers today. There is a Beers of the World type shop close to me and this caught my eye, B Space Invader. Expensive shopping but nice to visit for a treat.

Thankfully my local (Rome) supermarkets do nice beers at reasonable prices. Was surprised to see O' Hara Stout and Red there @ €3.60 a bottle.

Judging by your surprise at o haras being there im going to guess you aren't in Ireland? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Scortho wrote: »
    Judging by your surprise at o haras being there im going to guess you aren't in Ireland? :(
    I'm guessing Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gouden Carolus Tripel - from the Superquinn Belgian beer sale. Never judge a beer by its non-descript cover. Sweet and yeasty.... and 9%? Really? Top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Had a Young's Double Chocolate Stout, which is normally a solid if slightly underwhelming option. I'm not sure why it was there amongst bottled beers - I must have bought it a long time ago. Anyway, today it was extremely bitter with a very nasal chocolate taste. It seems to be a very consistent product so I found it unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I'm guessing Rome.

I missed that part. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

White Gypsy's American Pale Ale is something special. Having a glass here with some home-made cajun chicken goujons. Awesome combo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone tried Belfast Blonde?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Imperial Red, very nice indeed. Though I did spill two thirds of it out of the bottle :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Absolutely gorgeous. Get some.

• Advertisement

Absolutely gorgeous. Get some.

Yep. Lovely beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Imperial Red, very nice indeed. Though I did spill two thirds of it out of the bottle :(

You username is quite apt so

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's been a while, but it was one of the first beers I ever enjoyed! I'd still be a Bulmers man, if it weren't for BB, Galway Hooker and O'Hara's stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You username is quite apt so

Unfortunately it happened before I'd had a drop, just as I was opening it. To watch it gushing off the counter onto the kitchen floor was utterly devastating.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's been a while, but it was one of the first beers I ever enjoyed! I'd still be a Bulmers man, if it weren't for BB, Galway Hooker and O'Hara's stout.

I have some, it's on offer in my local, this is Hildens Belfast Blonde?

I have some, it's on offer in my local, this is Hildens Belfast Blonde?

I think Hilden's and College Green are the same people, so I'm going to say yes! Must be over two years since I've last tasted it, so my memory isn't as sharp as it should be.

I think Hilden's and College Green are the same people, so I'm going to say yes! Must be over two years since I've last tasted it, so my memory isn't as sharp as it should be.

I've spent the last hour or so getting through part of a bottle of Belfast Blonde, it's rather delicious :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think Hilden's and College Green are the same people
    They are, and I think they're giving up on the "College Green" brand: Belfast Blonde and Headless Dog are now presented as part of the core Hilden range.

I actually prefer Belfast Blonde in the bottle, than on draught. Although, I have only ever had one pint, so...

• Advertisement

I like BB and Headless Dog. I also like the Barney's Brew from Hilden too, some unusual flavours in that one. Good for summertime drinking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement