Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The last few Headless dogs I got in bottles were strange tasting. I haven't gone back to it ever since.

Belfast Blonde is nice enough and even had my Dad drinking it which was an accomplishment in itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Belfast Blonde is nice enough and even had my Dad drinking it which was an accomplishment in itself!

When your aul lad starts taking cans of Punk IPA from a Brew Bog pub into another bar that doesn't sell it - getting kick out for drinking it - returning to the BD bar, and going back to the other bar with more cans, going back in and getting kicked out a second time. Only then can you tell stories about yer da drinking Craft Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Just finishing a week working in Denmark which was a good time to pick as all the breweries release their Christmas beers on Nov 1. They call it 'J-day' (for Julebryg, or Christmas beer) and a lot of people take the opportunity to make a bit of an occasion of it, which seems like a good idea to me.
    Most of the versions I got to try were dark rich lagers which were lovely but my favourite was a sweet brown ale from Jacobsen, which was fantastic. Also got to try a Grimbergen dubbel on draught which was pretty good but not amazing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tonight I found myself back in the same pub I visited a fortnight ago (the one with White Gypsy on tap). I wasn't impressed with the Ruby two weeks ago, but the Blond is fantastic. Very similar to Hoegaarden, but minus the slice of citrus fruit and served in a far less exhausting glass. :p

I'm not drinking any of these, but have had the brewery link sent to me, just having a look down their list, and one thing struck me.

Link

The nomenclature they are using for what we would usually call a Dark or Black IPA - which really is rather clunky and clumsy.

They call it India Black Ale. I like that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Schloss Eggenberg Urbock 23.

German, 9.6%
    Strong lager; matured for 9 months then filtered and force-carbonated.
    "Full-bodied with a creamy flavour and noble hop flavours.
    Urbock 23° has on occasion been called the 'Cognac of beers'."

Had one last week but didn't seem to jot down my thoughts on it. I think I liked it. Will have to get again :p

Franziskaner Weissbier.

German, 5%
    Deep golden color. Natural cloudiness, with yeast Crispy, refreshing, spicy and fruity.

Worst beer i have ever tasted and that is saying a lot. Found it far far too sweet, almost like trickle. Yuck. Barely finished it :p

Fischer Tradition Blonde

French, 6%, .65L bottle.
    Fischer Tradition is a smooth, complex beer which is fruity and has some flowery undertones. Savour it as an aperatif or with cold meats, cheese and choucroute.

I'm a sucker for a cool bottle and it has one, the bottle is big too so it appears to be good valve for money. The beer itself was unremarkable, tasted unnaturally fizzy. After a few I suspect you would be full of air, too gassy to be a 5 or 6 bottle job.

Bavaria 8.6

Dutch, 7.9%
    Bottle and can: Filtered.
    Strong pale lager.
    Strength reduced from 8.6 to 7.9% by 2013.

I've read it can't be bought in Holland and is exported, to France mainly.

Not a bad one. Doesn't taste too alcoholy. would drink again.

Ceres Old 9

Danish, 9.1%

A favourite in Italy, a lot of bars carry it. To be honest, it is probably the best beer that most bars have and it still isn't overly great. not bad though.

Golden colour with a medium body, slightly sweet. I've read some reviews that say the alcohol is well hidden. I don't think so.

La Midona, Bionda Doppoi Malto.

Italy, 6.5%, .05L bottle.
    Designed and created for those who love concreteness.
    This beer has a golden color, a fine and compact head and an intense aroma of malt and hops.
    It has a full rounded body with a persistent finish.

I have found a good Italian beer. Really impressed with it. I seem to be getting a liken for the double malted beers. Although they are strong, too strong to sip on all night.

A good tasting beer with great balance. This brewery has a few more drinks available which I am excited about trying. They are named and described after women. Cool bottle too.

Bulldog strong ale.

British, Scotland, 6.3%
    Bulldog is an award winning strong ale that was first brewed for the export market in 1947. The traditional recipe and maturing process of "warm conditioning" which takes place after fermentation, has been deliberately retained to preserve the strength and quality. The beer is dry hopped and the distinctive mellow flavour of Bulldog Strong Ale allowed to develop slowly.

Very nice beer. Well worth a try if you come across it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Brilliant Ale - Shepherd Neame. Can definitely see why they called it Brilliant. The beer is so clear, almost crystal. Nice enough, very similar to any Kölsch style beers I've tried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm not drinking any of these, but have had the brewery link sent to me, just having a look down their list, and one thing struck me.

Link

The nomenclature they are using for what we would usually call a Dark or Black IPA - which really is rather clunky and clumsy.

They call it India Black Ale. I like that .

A lot of breweries call the style "Cascadian Dark Ale". Which I like.

What does Cascadian mean?

Either of those names is about a million times better than Dark India Pale Ale

Just thinking - I've a good bit of spare dark malt myself, I might give one of these a go at home.

Cascade dry hop or something.

Hmmmm.

By the way Seaneh, if you're ever interested, my brew crew are mostly based near where you live, although we brew in my place, I do most of the driving on brew day. Wouldn't be any trouble to grab you one of the days if you've any inkling to brew with us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What does Cascadian mean?

Either of those names is about a million times better than Dark India Pale Ale

I'd imagine its a reference to Cascade hops.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd imagine its a reference to Cascade hops.
    just googling, it may be a reference to the Cascadian area, which is the Pacific Northwest of the US, plus parts of Canada.

just googling, it may be a reference to the Cascadian area, which is the Pacific Northwest of the US, plus parts of Canada.

This. The region is named after the Cascade mountain range Which extends from Northern California to British Columbia in Canada.

The hop gets its name from the same place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Just got a nice little selection for my usual Friday fun including SN Red Ale and Eisenstok While Ale.... and the sinuses hit.

Everything would taste like Molson Canadian, so I'll save them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have now gotten some Hilden Halt, Cathedral Quarter, and some more Belfast Blonde :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Tonight I have a nicely-chilled bottle of Flying Scotsman. Just the one - I have an early start at work tomorrow ...

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Sierra Nevada Narwhal tonight. Fairly bloody nice. It's a sipper at 10.2%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Started off with Flying Dog Pale Ale, then a 5am Saint and finally a Sierra Nevada Torpedo.
    They just didn't hit the spot tonight for some reason. The 5am tasted awful after the Flying Dog and then the Torpedo just didn't make up for it. :(

At least I have an O'Haras DIPA at home for tomorrow.

Started my night with a 16oz serving of Galway Bay's Chilli Pumpkin Ale. Detected neither Chilli nor Pumpkin from it but as far as pumpkin beers go it was no worse than the rest, seems to be a pretty crap style in my view over all.

From there moved on to Buried at Sea which was fantastic as always, if anything it just gets better and better. €4.50 a pint today made it even better!

After that I had two pints of Full Sail which went down lovely and were a perfect way to finish off the night.

On the 27b back to Artane now after a few hours of good company and good craic and looking forward to the next "Beers Beers". lovely night and a perfect way to wind down after a hectic week of college and work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

2 beers I will comment on from tonight.

Galway Bay's Chilli Pumpkin Ale was more peppery then spicey. Not a bad beer from a pumpkin range as normally they are pretty weak.

Mikkeller Green Gold on draught loved the hop kick almost imperial I would say buT not quite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Last night I had;
    Big Daddy IPA, nice but not outstanding
    Alaskan Amber Ale, very nice beer. I got a sweetish taste of it like honey or melon.
    Firestone Pale Ale, nice but I wouldn't be in a hurry to get it again.

Ipso wrote: »
    Big Daddy IPA, nice but not outstanding

This and Prohibition Ale (both from Speakeasy) were fairly easy to get in Ireland about 4 years ago but I haven't seen them in ages.

Very good, if unremarkable beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Seaneh wrote: »
    This and Prohibition Ale (both from Speakeasy) were fairly easy to get in Ireland about 4 years ago but I haven't seen them in ages.

Very good, if unremarkable beers.

I got a lot of these in San Francisco in happy hours - they were typically $2 each or so. Nice beers as you say but there were much better.

Had another bootle of the Bulldog strong ale last night. It really is delish.

Had a bottle of Brooklyn lager, 5.2%. Loved it, great balance and taste. Nice % too so a few could be enjoyed.

Also had Magalotti, Double malted blonde. Austrian. 7.1%. Good strong taste. Went down a treat.

Over all,last evening was a very pleasurable beer experience. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

Galway Bay Pilot 002 Brown Ale 8%, lovely stuff

jh79 wrote: »
    Galway Bay Pilot 002 Brown Ale 8%, lovely stuff

I still haven't tried this, anywhere in Dublin still stocking it?

Sierra Nevada Flipside Red IPA.

Started off like a bitter IPA fighting a red ale in my mouth, and it was not nice. After it warmed slightly the taste came together and it's decent enough. Probably wouldn't get it again, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Mikkeller Hoppy (Happy) Lovin’ Christmas

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I still haven't tried this, anywhere in Dublin still stocking it?

Brewdock ran out of it on tuesday i believe, i didnt get to try it!

O'Hara's Winter Star - Spiced Amber Ale.

Mostly dull with the odd sharp bitterness. I didn't like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Having a stout weekend.

Rogue Shakespeare oatmeal stout last night - Thick, smooth and creamy, very nice.

Having a few Samuel Smith's Imperial stouts tonight - Really like this, very roasty after taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Started off with a Widmer Nelson DIPA.
    Then had a Hoptimum.
    Finally my weekend beers hit the spot. My beers last night were as disappointing as Friday (bar the O'Haras DIPA).
    I think my quest for hops is destroying my ability to enjoy a lot of other beers. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got to make my first visit to JW Sweetman last night. I had one each of the Weiss, Pale Ale and Red, and three of the porter. The only one I missed was the Kölsch-style (I think that's how to spell it) but I enjoyed what I had. The porter and the red are especially good. I'll have to pop in again next time I'm in the capital.

Maledelta.

Italian, 6%.

Pours very dark amber with a tiny head that vanishes in an instant. It has a burnt malty taste, nearly nutty. The body is heavy and chunky. A bitter after taste. I didn't think much of it at all.

Cohort from www.summerwinebrewery.co.uk.

England, 7.5%

Double Black Belgian Rye PA. It is pitch black, no head. You can taste a mad combination of malts in it. The hops a little bitter but not enough for an unpleasant after taste.

I really enjoyed it. Will try and check out more beers from the brewer.

Jaipur from http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/

England, 5.9%
    Cask: Regular. Also available bottled.
    A citrus dominated India Pale Ale, its immediate impression is soft and smooth yet builds to a crescendo of massive hoppiness accentuated by honey. An enduring, bitter finish.

It is a refreshing fruity taste. Would not be amiss sipping this in beer garden on a warm summers evening. First and subsequent sips reminded me of Duvel triple hop.

Will drank again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

jester77 wrote: »
    Having a few Samuel Smith's Imperial stouts tonight - Really like this, very roasty after taste.

Really really quality beer, probably my favorite stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

The Christmas beers are starting to hit the shelves.

On Saturday I tried Brewdog's Santa Paws (scotch ale). My bottle was a little too cold when I tried it and it's quite a subtle beer so I must have it again when it's closer to room temperature. A dark ale with a pleasant and sweet aftertaste. I enjoyed it.

I'm having my first ever Odell beer. St.Lupulin Extra IPA.

Big dirty grin after the first sup :) Mmmmmmmmmm.

The Christmas beers are starting to hit the shelves.

On Saturday I tried Brewdog's Santa Paws (scotch ale). My bottle was a little too cold when I tried it and it's quite a subtle beer so I must have it again when it's closer to room temperature. A dark ale with a pleasant and sweet aftertaste. I enjoyed it.

Yeah its pretty flavorsome for a 4.5%'er.

Also had the Hoppy Christmas - another big ABV, highly hopped Brewdog beauty, Mikkeller Hoppy (Happy) Lovin’ Christmas - a gorgeous tropical fruit heavy IPA and Mikkeller X-mas Porter 2013 Via Til Fra (Via To From), another great one from Mikkeller. All available in Redmonds.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm having my first ever Odell beer. St.Lupulin Extra IPA.

Big dirty grin after the first sup :) Mmmmmmmmmm.
    My fave US brewery available here I think, love the IPA.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I got in in Molloys. Already sad I'm nearly finished it.

Yeah, I got in in Molloys. Already sad I'm nearly finished it.

If you think that's good, try the IPA.

If you think that's good, try the IPA.

What a beer!

Anyone know if Kehoes in South Anne St pour O'Haras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Trouble Hooker in Abbot's.
    €5 a pint - €6.50 a Litre - serious value!

Not sure how I'd describe it but it's very nice.
    I think the describe it as a Belgian style ale.
    Bit hoppier than that imo.

Just realised I got the Odells in Drinkstore. When I went down to Molloys I realised, yeah, it definitely wasn't in here.

Just realised I got the Odells in Drinkstore. When I went down to Molloys I realised, yeah, it definitely wasn't in here.

They sell it in Molloys in Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

New Stone releases. Not a fan of Punishment - a hideous mix of chilli peppers and oaked aged Double Bastard beer. Charred was much more palatable.

vLp4ZLil.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Jealous

Pictures of the bottles add so much to it. Makes me want to taste it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

drumswan wrote: »
    What a beer!

Anyone know if Kehoes in South Anne St pour O'Haras?
    I've certainly enjoyed a few pints of O'Haras IPA there in the past. Not sure which other O'Hara's taps they might have(possibly none), but I reckon they have others by the bottle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement